Steampunk Horror

Discussing all roleplaying games
Dr Ed
Conspirator
Conspirator

Steampunk Horror

Post by Dr Ed »

So, I've been tooling around with this Steampunk campaign idea for a while and I wanted to include some horror elements that are truly appropriate to that genre. I've already given consideration to trench warfare, mass outbreaks of cholera, and misguided early psychiatrists performing unnecessary lobotomies. What other horror elements play well in a steampunk setting?
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Early propaganda, perhaps with heavy handed "magic bullet" media theories (repeat something enough times and it will eventually become true).

A monarch for whom the common people slave and die over and over, but who secretly supports a foreign power.

Human slavery in all but name in the pre-Industrial sweathouses.
vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by vipera aspis »

Welcome my good man! *tips cap, puffs pipe and polishes goggle lens*

Vampires are nomaly bound to the earth in which-*AHEM*in which they died; as a place to retreat at dawn in the confines of their coffin. What if a vampire filled many boxes with earth and had them stored on a cagro-car. But not just a cargo-car, a cagro-car on a mono-rail prehaps? Just imagine it edward: seeing the vampire ruled monorail circling the brass city on some warm spring eve, western gunmen riding robotic horses battling undead indians, spotlght equiped dirigibles patroling the starlite ebon skys for nazi jetpackers; the air scented with burning coal, scented steams and ever so softly with the subtle hint of dread blossom season.
my bones among the rocks and roots
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Try Etherscope. It sounds exactly what you're looking for.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Dr Ed
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Dr Ed »

After our experience in the mountains, my good DM, I'm inclined to include the terrifying perennial Dread Blossoms. Fluffy white seeds were never so horrible.

Good suggestions, gentlemen. Thank you.