Kartakass: Beginnings

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Early the next morning

As promised, a large coachman awaits in front of the temple, with 4 of the most magnificent horses you have ever seen. Black like the night, they are muscular and rather huge. The finest horses from Nova Vaasa some of you may recognise.

Tarlyn arrives moments later on a horse as well. "Well what are we waiting for? Climb in already!"

Once everyone is inside, he makes sure the door is secure and speaks a few words to the conductor. At once the coachman begins to move. At first it is at a leisurely pace, as you are in the city. Once you are out of the city, the coachman picks up speed, and you are all off to Kartakass!

For 2 days you travel and merely encounter travellers. The weather is rather enjoyable. That evening as you make camp, you can tell the weather will change. Clouds are forming and they are rather dark. A slight breeze passes, adn you can tell it will rain. You hurry to set up the tent while Tarlyn gets the fire going under the eave of the tent. The eave is 20x20 so even with rain the fire will not be affected as it is well within the confines of it.

"I fear a bad storm this evening. I think we may be folllowed for the oast day or so. I caught a glimpse many times but they seem to be crafty stalkers. This evening we should take turns and do guard duty." Tarlyn says to everyone through the entrance of the tent as you busy yourselves with the setting up of the tent.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Valerian had so far enjoyed the trip. It was certainly an improvement on walking across Darkon, as he had done before, although he was suspected the excruciatingly bumpy carriage ride was Ezra's way of punishing him for his sloth. Still, it let him catch up on his reading, so Warden Grane didn't mind too much. The Sermons of Sentire Basilei of Sturben were fascinating, if dense, and Valerian enjoyed the chance to get into them solidly, rather then hurried readings late at night.

"Aye, that is a wise idea. I shall take the first watch, if ye others are amenable. My wits are stale from the carriage, a watch in the night air should clear them well."
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Van looks the sky a bit considered by the upcomng rain. He doesn't lke it very much, the road becomes muddy and the carriage will not move as fast as before. Then loking around his companions says:

"Since we are 8 I think it's better and safer do watches two people together instead of one. I'm not very tired too so I can get the first turn with Valerian. Also till there is still some light Ace can fly around the camp and warn us if something or soemone gets close. Do you agree?"

OOC> At his watch, Van will cast mage armor, just to be sure. :wink:
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

The evening drags on. The rest of the party retire inside the tent while Valerian and Van sit by the fire. The first hour passes by with ease. Suddenly it starts to rain. All you hear is the constant battering of the rain on the tent. tap..tap..tap..tap..tap.. It starts to get under your skin. Nearby a branch breaks. Ace comes back spooked. Danger.....shapes.. it says to Van. More pit pat pit pat pit pat pit pat of the rain.

The flap of the door moves, making you jump. Tarlyn emerges frowning.
"Did you hear something? Even with this incessant rain I thought I heard it."

The fire does not illuminate all that much so your vision is not that great. Tarlyn mumbles a few arcane words as his fingers move inticately. Suddenly his eyes glow like a cat's.

"Wake the others." Tarlyn says as he unsheathes both his blades, eyeing North of the tent. At first you see nothing, then appearing inside your line of sight are 5 shapes moving slowly. The smell is almost unbearable even from that distance.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s119 ... ombie3.jpg

Van and Valerian see 5 of these approaching slowly.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Cornleius was sleeping wrapped up in his blanket. He kicked and stirred.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Valerian drew his sword with a sinister rasp, raising it high in the air and murmuring holy verses to himself and gesturing with his free hand. The air shimmered around him as the Warden placed himself squarely between the approaching dead and the mages.

"Awaken, my comrades! The Legions of the Night seek our undoing, but they'll find no easy meat tonight." The Warden's voice boomed in the night, the kind of voice that could reach into the backpews of a church and give any slumbering parishioners a good shake. "Awaken, and in the name of Ezra, drive back these foul spawn of the Night!"

One would've had to be dead already to sleep through Valerian's thundering.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Marentor shifted beneath the gaze of the shadowy figures. He was acutely aware of their wizened faces, lined with the centuries, and their foreign eyes especially. Next to them, he looked out of place - like a brash robin amongst somber ravens.

A somewhat younger man - his face plump beneath the silks and the toes of his fine boots curved upwards - came forward and bowed, his hands clasped in front of his breast. Marentor cupped his right fist in his left palm and returned the gesture.

At that moment, Marentor recognized the face of his father, Malin. He was hardly older than Marentor himself. Malin seemed equanimous... expansive, even. But in his courteous steps, Marentor could see the strain of a showman under pressure.

Father, speak well for me in the halls of our ancestors, Marentor silently prayed. You have much to respond for, and I fear I cannot speak on my own behalf.

The ceremony seemed about to begin, with the elders taking gasping breaths - surely their first in many centuries - when Malin's eyes widened and he stood up, looking past his son's shoulder.

Marentor turned and looked. Cornelius was busy kicking his shoes on, his hobnailed boots almost catching Marentor's shoulder in the cramped confines of the tent.

The abrupt end of the vision caught Marentor off guard, and it wasn't until Hailang pounced on his cheek and swatted his face that he got up. There were shouts outside, and the sound of swords being drawn from scabbards. Somebody was shouting a series of bellows - though Marentor couldn't be sure if it was some sort of command, or possibly some dramatic dawnbreak performance.

He looked around the cramped tent, fishing for his scrolls. He finally found the case - an elaborately carved leather satchel with a bark emblem of an Asian dragon on the side - and his spell component pouch. One quick dip beside Hailang netted him his alchemy bag too, and he was ready.

Stepping outside, he braved the predawn chill, his breath pluming behind his scarf. Almost immediately, the stench reached him, and he was thankful for the mouth covering.

Sighting down, he saw the shambling shapes.

Shenme gui shi! he thought to himself. What in the hells?
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

As Ace warns him, Van looks around. The familiar never has let him down . So he concentrates on himself and some duplicate of himself appear. Then, as Valerian goes to wake up the others, Van waves his hands pronouncing some arcane words and then touches his right hand. The hand becomes as from stone, but without looses its flexibility. Finally the evoker studies the area at which are the zombies and points it with his finger. A glowing pea sized bead appear and blossoms into a fireball. Then he steps behind Valerian, so the cleric can protect him if any zombie comes very close to him.

At the same time the wizard contacts the hawk:

"Ace, go check if there are more walking dead around. Thanks."

OOC> Van has casted: Mirror image, fist of stone, fireball.

Tarlyn who will roll for the images? You or I?
Last edited by VAN on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Draven wakes to a cacophony of noise from beyond the tent. At first his mind seizes up at the thought that....no not again.

Fortunatley he hears the name Ezra bellowed loudly, and takes a shudduring breath, then leaps into action. Having slept fully clothed with his weapons, ready for anything, he simply grabs his crossbow and moves to the opening of the tentflap, coming to stand next to the silent Marentor.

He gasps at the sight of the corpses, shambling towards them, the stench almost overpowering, but steels himself to fight.

In a flash of movement the crossbow is loaded and brought to bear.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Tarlyn looks back at Valerian and Van, grinning. He winks, then heads out to greet the undead. As he moves towards the zombies, VAn casts his spell, but he deftly dodges that(Evasion).

Arriving before the first one, he bows. Standing ready before it, elvish blades by his sides. He says something to it in a tongue you don't understand and the zombie swings at him with it's club, missing, because Tarlyn sidesteps it. His right arm flashes and the zombies right arm removes itself from it's body, flying through the air. It lands unceremoniously near Valerian's feet. Tarlyn's left arm moves and he cuts the zombie deeply across the chest, but not enough to slow it down.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Warden Grane nods approvingly as Van fricasees the dead, then grasped the silver amulet at his neck closely. It was a rather small, but elegant construction, a silver shield perhaps three inches tall and two across, with a sword and a sprig of berries emblazoned on it.

"Begone, foul Legions of the Night!" Valerian said, taking a half step forward.

"Begone, and trouble not the virtuous again!" Valerian raises his sword, pointing it at the undead, and one could almost see the gathering power.

Begone, or find your ends here!" The Warden thrusts the holy symbol at the shambling corpses, these last words at a shout.

OOC: Turning Check, 12+3=15, Turning Damage 7+5+3=15
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Begone, or find your ends here!" The Warden thrusts the holy symbol at the shambling corpses, these last words at a shout.
Valerian calls upon the power of Ezra to rid the party of zombies. Only 1 turns and flees into the night damaged by the Holy Might of Valerian's will. Lucius as well attempts to turn and one more flees.......

Van has casted fireball
The ball of fire grows as it approaches the zombies. Once it is it's full size, it explodes in midst of the zombies, blinding Tarlyn momentarily. 2 zombies take the brunt of the blast, skin charred and blackened. Their clothing falls off in tatters, revealing missing skin. You see bones and muscle decayed from unlife. The fleeing zombie and the remaining 2 zombies miraculously dodge part of the blast, only taking minor damage.
Last edited by steveflam on Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

William sits up in the midst of his sleep as the escalating noise of his party members increases in urgency.
"Wher...wha...Can't a man get a wink?" He shouts in retort. Once he makes out the sounds of combat he draws his pistol from his belt and rushes out of the tent, looking for any cover from the perceived threat before he takes a shot.

Hide roll:13+9=22
Spot roll: 7+5=12
Attack roll: 17+6=23
Damage Roll: 2 :roll: [/i]
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Draven flinches as chunks of burning necrotic flesh go sailing through the night. Damn, that was impressive

He ducks and slides to the left to get a good angle and not hit Tarlyn.

He pulls the crossbow stock to his shoulder and takes aim through the sight, aiming for the head of one of the non-burning zombies. He holds his breath and pulls the trigger...

OOC - Draven rolls 11 +6 bonus =17
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."