Kartakass: The Nova Vaasa Chapter

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Kartakass: The Nova Vaasa Chapter

Post by steveflam »

April 15th,760: Deep in the forest of Kartakass

He hurried to the rendezvous with the others. I must not be late or she won’t she be pleased. The information I have for her will be very useful in her plans against that cursed Bard Lukas. I knew the Temple would send someone after me. Father Dentor is a very persistent man.

He clutched the bag he held closely. She would be pleased for these items. So Dentor thought he could cure me? The fool! Mother Fury will surely reward me with fresh meat this night. He sent Domenic after me but that fool Lukas ate him. Apparently there is a party being sent here to search for us and the items. Our contact in Harmonia has done well for herself this day. I suppose her hating her father helps our cause.

He grinned as he exited the dense forest into a clearing. There were the others of the Howling Clan. He approached the gathered members and pushed his way to the center. There she was! Mother Fury in all her glory. She looked at him inquisitively. He merely nodded as he held out the bag to her. She took it and emptied the contents into the palm of her hand. She laughed maniacally as she tossed the amulet and 2 paws in the air, catching them both. Again and again. Turning to him, she spoke. “You have done well, Percival. And what news have you?”

He paused to savor his moment of glory. “Our source tells me that back in Darkon, the Temple of Ezra is planning on sending a bigger party to search for the items as well as Domenic and I. That bastard Lukas ate the poor poor fellow.” He laughed then the whole assembled Howling Clan laughed. Mother Fury howled and all at once, each and every member underwent a transformation. First their body grew hair and their noses grew longer. Bones cracked loudly and skin stretched, making each and everyone scream then as the transformation completed, howl together. In the distance you could hear wolves answering the call of the gathered Clan. It was not a good night to be out alone in the forests. When was it ever safe to be out in the forests in Kartakass?

Mother Fury stopped howling and thought about this development. So the fool Ezrans wish to send more food to us here? How thoughtful of them. I must send them a thank you note of some kind. Perhaps the bones of the party they will be sending? I will send out 5 of the clan to take care of these unfortunate people.

“As a reward, Percival, you will lead 4 of our clan against this party from Darkon and take care of them in the usual manner. You have done well this day. You earned the right to lead this party. You reward will be the flesh of the party. Now chose your party and go. Come back with good tidings to me.”

With that she turned and ran into the forest on all 4’s. Senses racing she completed the transformation and went hunting for humans.

Percival chose 4 members and they left for the North of Kartakass. They took their time traveling as Percival knew he would be able to get to Darkon and observe the party from afar. They would not take to the sea as it is too unpredictable a means of travel.

June 27th, 760: Somewhere near the Darkonese and Nova Vaasan border

Percival grinned to himself. Ah Ariel is always such a good source of information. Isn’t it our luck that she happens to hate Lukas? Well you win some you lose some I say. That is one large coachman. He noted. He observed the elf riding the horse closely. There is more to him than meets the eye, I’ll wager. That battle we witnessed was impressive between him and that Dark Elf priestess. 2 dark elves in one place at the same time? I find that hard to dismiss as coincidence. These others seem to tolerate him which I find surprising. We’ll move off now before something happens and we get discovered.

3 days later he decided to send in Leopold, Josephine, Mikhail and Balthazar. He would stay behind in case by some miracle these puny humans with the elf and dwarf actually survived. The place was perfect for an attack and he and his party were beginning to get very hungry. The elf patrolled as he always did, and this time the 4 party member let themselves be seen, if only their eyes. They followed the elf silently as he returned to the rest of his party. As he was warning the unfortunate party from Darkon, they attacked!
Last edited by steveflam on Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Draven is startled from the ration he was midway through chewing, but his crossbow is in his hands as quick as ever, aiming at the monstorous creatures baring down on the camp.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Morning of June 30th, 760: Somewhere on the road to Kantora, Nova Vaasa

[Having identified the ring and bracers, you discover that the ring is a ring of invisibility and the bracers are bracers of armor +2.]

The long trip has you feeling confined in the coachman. It will be good to arrive in Kantora and have a hot meal. Not withstanding the fact that a bed would do a world of good. There have not been any other encounters since the priestess and the zombies, thankfully. With a bit of luck you will arrive in Kantora in 3 days. Cornelius’ Tiny Hut spell has come in handy. It is a lot more comfortable than a tent which takes at least an hour to mount and prepare.

You don’t see Tarlyn much as he rides out by himself and scouts ahead. He lets you know a few times of passing caravans, the sighting of large black cats and of course wild horses. Thanks to Lucius and Valerian he heals nicely. The spells leave a nasty scar of a hand on his lower back and left side. Courtesy of the priestess no less. Every evening he sleeps 2 hours then sits with whomever’s turn it is to do watch, engaging in small conversation with you. He seems very at ease with the traveling and you can tell he is anxious to find the 2 missing men and the items. He let’s whomever is on watch again and again how dangerous the lycanthropes are in Kartakass. He relates to you his experiences many times so you understand these monsters. He only made it to Harmonia once and it was to gather information with his friend Pietro on how to get out of these lands. He was obviously not successful though Pietro was rather happy on speaking with some famous bard whose name escapes him. He does say he would have liked to spend more time in Kartakass and visit the mountains as he has never really been on any before. Maybe we could go see the mountains while there he proposes. There is time enough to decide before we arrive anyways.

A day out of Kantora it is after the evening meal. The Tiny Hut spell has been cast by Cornelius. You are all getting preparing for a quiet evening. Tarlyn has been gone for over an hour scouting. He returns with a concerned look on his face. He addresses the party. “I was on my way back with news of nothing and heard a noise. Looking in the general direction of the noise at first I saw nothing. Then concentrating I perceived a pair of red eyes, then another and another. I can see up to 120 feet away and these eyes were that far and watching me. Needless to say I didn’t need to urge my steed on, it went of its own volition and here we are. I’d get ready if I was you.”

With that Tarlyn dismounts from his horse and ties it to the coachman. Just as he is about to unsheath his blades 4 shapes rush into the clearing near the coachman. The horses are definitely spooked and neigh and snort. Rearing up n their hind legs, the horses try to get out of the way of these :

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s119 ... garou4.jpg

The monstrous humanoid beasts rear up on powerful hind legs, their torsos twisting and hirsute, spittle flying from their gnashing teeth, and razor claws slashing with deadly intent

Initiative please
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Beastie 1 rushes in and attacks Tarlyn. It's huge claw swings in but merely bounces off of his arm. 16 a miss.

Beastie 2 rushes in after Valerian and as #1 it's hugs claw swings in at the Warden, barely missing as the razor sharp claws whisk by his face. 14 a miss

Beastie 3 moves in against Van and tries to grapple him 12 on the grapple

Beastie 4 moves in against Maruento.As the first 2 it misses him, the claw passing dangerously close to his chest. 15 a miss

Tarlyn slices his blades twice at the thing scoring hits from both weapons.
19 with confirmed crit and a 16 which hits. Damage 31

The beast howls in pain, but for naught. It looks to be at 10% of its health.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Positions

Post by steveflam »

T...........................................................Valerian

3........................................... 4
Van.............................................M

W...................C............................L
.....................................A
Don't know other way of really showing it.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Valerian dodged back as the claw's whistled before his face. Ezra hear my plea, aid your servant. He prayed silently as his hand hesitated between sword and holy symbol.

Holy symbol won out. "May Our Lady show you the error of your ways, May she chastise you, May she strike you down!"

As the 'beastie' tried to puzzle out what this strange blond human was doing, it saw a shimmer in the air behind him, and suddenly, that shimmer, the vaguest outline of a sword in the air, attacked.

At the same moment, Valerian got his sword out of it's scabbard.

OOC: Standard action to cast Spiritual Weapon, Move action to draw sword. Defensive Cast Concentration check: 9+9=18 vs DC 17.

Spiritual Weapon attack roll: 13+7=20, damage roll: 5+1=6 force damage.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Opposing grapple by Van 14+2=16

Van fearing for his life, struggles furiously with the thing and breaks free!

Lucius fires his crossbow at #2
Critical hit with 19+2=21. Confirms with 16 ona roll. 5x2=10 Dmg!

Just before the beast attacks and misses him , Maruento acts. Keeping his familiar close to him, he removes a piece of leather from a pouch. Uttering arcane phrases while fingers move intricately he feels much better now about his and HaiLang's safety.
Mage Armor

Cornelius removes a piece of leather as well from a pouch and casts the same spell as Maruento.

Valerian's Spritual Weapon damages the beasts back badly leaving it at 80% health

William aims his pistol and fires at #3 but misses, cursing his shaking fingers.

Alex fires a bolt at #4 and hits! Leaving it at 65% of its health.
Natural 20, confirmed the critical. 7x2=14.

End of Round 1
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Marentor's fingers moved in a blur as the well-worn phrases and gestures came to mind for his spell Mage Armor. Hailang stopped her bristling and meekly leapt onto his shoulder as he finished the incantation. A brief surge of force electrified his skin, then a gentle prickling was all that remained of the spell.

Just as well, too. In three swift, bounding steps, one of the feral creatures had crossed the space between them. Wickedly curved claws swiped at Marentor, his spell and his sinews taxed to the limit to avoid it.

"Gaiside eshou!" he muttered. Death-bound fellbeast, in the Hua tongue. His temple training came back to him, and he fell into a defensive stance, his feet balanced lightly on heel and toe, as he cut a wary withdrawal.

Beside him, somewhere, he heard an indistinct shout. Cutting his eyes to the right, he saw his ally Van go down before a werebeast, a flurry of limbs and fur.

Steady, Hailang, he warned his familiar. I'm going to try to blast our friend free....

He began a new spell under his breath, hoping to disguise the ritual gestures behind his martial arts postures. All the while, he knew the keen danger of the ravening beast before him...
Last edited by HuManBing on Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Van looks the beast's read eyes, his first though was to casr an offensive spell at it, but he decides against it. If he doesn't manage to kill it, the werewplf will have another attack and the evoker doesn't know if he will be such lucky and not being grappled the second time. So he waves his hands and 4 immages appear beside him.

OOC> Defensive casting (Concentration 23) and mirror image.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Warden Grane dodged and weaved with the creature, its movements hampered somewhat by the ethereal blade that attacked it. He didn't think he was in any immediate danger. Looking across the field, he saw that Tarlyn was dispatching his foe with ease, and the mages seemed to have their creature under control.

One lone monstrosity stood in the field, deciding whom to engage. Valerian decided to disable it before something else went wrong.

Clutching the symbol of Ezra, he whirled on that beast, dodging the overhead blow the werewolf launched at him, then called out, from the very depths of his soul.

"In Ezra's Holy Name, Halt!"

OOC: Time for a bit of funky Divine Metamagic. I've six uses of Turn Undead, spend one to activate Divine Metamagic (Heighten Spell), other five to heighten Hold Person to a virtual level seven spell.

Defensive Cast Hold Person. Concentration check 13+9 vs DC 17. Hold Person at the Beastie 4. Will Save DC 21. Paralysis for five rounds or till Beastie makes a save.

Spiritual Weapon attacks Beastie 2. Attack roll 1+7=8. Damage roll 2+1=3. Lousy rolls.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

#1 Attacks Tarlyn in desperation. 1 claw misses, the 2nd hits but it's bite thankfully misses.
8 dmg

#2Attacks Valerian with it's 2 claws and bite, but misses all 3 times!
Valerian's spell does not affect the thing.

#3Attacks Van 3 times as well. It attacks the wrong image.

#4Attacks Maruento 3 times as well. All 3 miss because of his spell.

Tarlyn(I forget he has 2 weapon fighting!) attacks #1 and hits. It falls lifeless to the ground. Tarlyn then moves over to #3 and cleaves it 2x scoring hits
Total damage 21 Now at 33% health.
Last edited by steveflam on Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Seeing that Tarlyn came to his help, Van goes back beside Cornelius, passing behind the drow and decides to help Marentor. Waving his hands, the eovoker aims the beast. A ray of fire gets from his pointed finger and goes towards the werewolf.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Draven looks up and sees Tarlyn dispatch one of the beasts, good he thinks maybe we will survive this one!

Draven decides to try and help marentor. He drops the crossbow and darts forward drawing his rapier as he does, flanking the snarling beast he twists the silver ring on his finger, vanishing form sight and makes ready to run hm through form behind.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Van casts a Scorching Ray at #4 calding it's furry hide. It howls in pain, then renews it's efforts against Maruento. This is before Alex manages to sneak behind the furious beast and stab it's back dead center. Comnied with Alex's attack before it falls dead to the ground, changing back to a human man.

Lucius fires another bolt at # 2 but misses slightly in all the excitement he shot too fast.

Cornelius casts a minor cantrip at #2 as well bypassing it's resistance to magic. He scores 2 damage!

William fires his pistol once more and score a hit, doing 5 Dmg!

Maruento and Hailang both are successful with Maruento's spells! Werewolf #2 now is at -5 Int, Wis,Cha, Str.

After Cornelius casts his spell, #3 collpases on the ground, laughing like a Hyena!
#1 Dead.
#2 65% health. -5 Int, Wis,Cha, Str. As well as very clumsy.
#3 33% health. Laughing like a Hyena
#4 Dead.

End of Round 2

Announce your actions please along with the die rolls!
Last edited by steveflam on Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

"Thats it lads! Rally round and lets take one of em alive fer questioning!" William shouts excitedly as he quickly reloads his pistol.

Attack Roll: 12+6=18
Damage Roll: 5

OOC: Sorry for the absence, did not notice the link