Kartakass: The Nova Vaasa Chapter

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Tarlyn almost bursts out laughing but refrains from it, knowing full well how the man must feel. Walking up to William, he clapped him on the back. "Now now lad, I've already given him enough trouble as it is. Sorry my good man," Tarlyn says to the man. "Now William I am sure that once we have eaten supper and have a full stomach, I would be more than glad to accompany you to a watering hole. No need to bother him for that, I am sure we can find one together, " he says jovially.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Van barely manage to hold himself for laughing. He likes that at least William doesn't seem to trust or even like Josephina. At least he isn't the only one!

Before the man have some time to say something, Van decides to end the discussion.

"Here are my 5sp sir."

The wizard hopes that the coins spread before him, would distract the inkeeper from the previous discussion.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

William turns his attention towards Tarlyn with a healthy grin on his face.
"Aye lad, sounds good to me. A drink goes down better when shared with good company I always say."
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Draven studiously ignores the Inn keepers blatant racism, he's encountered worse before. He also catches Willima s comment about no lady Interesting, Im not the only one worried about her, he thinks, but his train of thought is broken by Willaim and he trys his best to keep a straight face at the watered down comment. Turning to the Inn Keeper lips twitching he drops afew coins on the counter and says"Well as everyone seems to be more or less happy we seem to have a deal my good man".

Turning to the others " Lets get some food, Im starved, then perhaps a mug or two of ale will help take the edge off the journey." and perhaps a chance for somethign a little more in the city after dark he thinks to himself..
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Valerian scowled openly at the innkeeper as he paid a gold coin for himself and for Josephine, hiding the keys in a pocket in his cassock. Still, he thought philosophically to himself, it wasn't as if this was new to him.

To the group at large he announced. "I shall take the goods and see about finding a good merchant. Perhaps... Friend Alexander, will you accompany me?"

Valerian looks calmly at the rogue, a friendly half-smile on his scarred face.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Cornelius laughs at the inkeeper's demands and turns to his companions , saying:

''Well, if I'm not wanted here, there are other inns in Kantora. I'd rather stay somehware I am welcome. I suppose this fellow doesn't think my coin is good enough for him. ''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Tarlyn chuckles at Cornelius' remark. I am used to this as well, friend Cornelius. Why must people have such prejudice against other races in this godforsaken land? Do we not all bleed the same blood? Breath all the same?

Moving up to Cornelius and the man, Tarlyn speaks, "My good man, I think you owe my good friend an apology. He is a paying client like any other, no? So we both are different. No matter, we breath and bleed like you do. Here is his coin for his room, accept it and be a better man for it!"

Tarlyn leans down to Cornelius and says to him, "After supper I will treat you to a nice dwarven ale, if you like! Now forget this man and enjoy the Inn's food. I am sure you must be hungry for a good meal, friend Cornelius."

The man behind the counter takes Cornelius' coins. "My humble apologies, sir. I am just not used to seeing many of his or your kind." He holds his hand out to Cornelius as a gesture of "forgiveness".
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Marentor goes to his wizardly friends, twitching his scarf aside so he can speak in a low, inobtrusive tone.

"Friends, I suggest we keep our own quarters. Away from..." he pauses, and cuts his eyes towards their female companion. "...any distractions. I have a few scrolls I would share with you, and I'm certain you all have learned some goodly new tricks to share with me."

He looks to each of them slowly.

"Shall we get a room to hold our 'Thaumaturgical Council'?" he asks wryly.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Van eyes go wide as the words scrolls and magic are heard. A pleased smile gets his face.

"I couldn't agree more Marentor. Listen, my room is the last of the second floor and from what I have heard William has the next one and Valerian the one against it. Which means that at least at the next rooms there would be nobody to disturb us. We can go there if you like. Cornelius, Lucius are you coming?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Good the wizards will be off together with their books, Im sure Tack will take advantage of the local ale, that only leaves Valerian to worry about, and the girl... he thinks with a faint shudder.

Draven seems lost in thought and Valerian has to repeat his question before he looks up quickly. Seeing the priest smiling at hiim is rather disconcerting , as although Draven feels some companionship towards the Warden, he doesnt hold much trust in men of faith away from the battlefield. He's encountered many before, either self serving hypocrites or intolerant zealots, Valerian seems to break the mould but Draven isnt going to let his guard down for a minute.

Moreover an afternoon spent in the company of the priest is going to severely hamper his intentions, besides he's going to bring her isnt he? Draven cant even bring himself to look at the girl, its not a girl he reminds hiimself. I should feel sympathy for her, but I cant forget what she is, or what she represents, even if the mask is well contrived.

Feeling the Warden staring at him he pushes this away no reason to share these feelings...

He returns the Wardens look and a disarming smile quickly comes to his think lips, "sorry Warden, miles away, yes I agree we need to sell the goods, however considering the situation outlined by friend Van, do you think it wise for a ah, gentleman of your persuasion [OOC he means Priest of Ezra not anything about bestiality! :wink: ] to be actively wandering the streets? Also do you think it safe for your... (he pauses, specifically not looking at the girl) ward... to be out and about in the city" he asks in a low voice.

"I am well used to the dangers of the city perhaps I should take the goods myself? AlthoughI dont yet speak the tongue of this land, I have heard at least one other voice here speaking Darkonese, so I think I should be able to get by. I also suspect that I may find more options than a mere merchant for such things."

Finsihing his speech, Draven continues to smile at the Warden, scratching at the back of his hand. Did I overdo that? He muses to himself.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Lucius pays his 5 silver coins without making any remark, nor even feeling the slightest will to laugh at Will's joke. He simply looked around scrutinizingly, trying to drink as much of the local environment as possible. Already he registered the racism of the innkeeper, probably representative of the local populace, but that it also seemed to have no backbone to support it.

As he was going to enquire, in his most formal tone, about supper, he heard someone calling his name about a study-meeting upstairs. He disguised how excited he was with the prospect, politely asked the innkeeper at what time they could eat, where and for how much, and then turned to his companions.

With a sincere and involuntary smile, he simply said: "surely, dear colleagues, I'm always happy to learn something new." and then he whispered "although we surely should not speak of this so loudly here in the corridor".
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

The innkeeper politely replies to Lucius' enquiry about the evening meal.
"In 30 minutes the evening meal will be served. That should give you and your acquaintances," he sniffed, "Enough time to relax and settle in."

Tarlyn, noticing their discreet conversation about magic, frowns. They say the walls have ears, and I am positive that goes even for here. I hope my friends don't get us into trouble.

He looks to Valerian and making eye contact with him, puts a finger to his lips and looks at the others.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Valerian catches the drow's gaze and nods. He isn't surprised. In Darkonian, he leans over and says quietly to the wizards.

"Perhaps you can hold your discussions out in the open air? I'm certain that Ou-- that you wouldn't want to be inside after all that time in a stuffy coach. I believe Kantora does have some rather nice graveyards, very beautiful mausoleums." And of course, if you're out where no one can sneak up on you, there's a smaller chance of the lot of us being arrested.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Josephine glared at Draven following his comments about 'safe for your ward'. She had very striking blue-violet eyes, and they did not seem amused.

Valerian chuckles and places a heavy hand on Draven's shoulder. "That's why we ought to go together!" He booms. "I've been to Kantora a time or two, I know the lay of the land, and of course I speak Vaasi. Between the two of us we should be able to find the best price."

"And Josephine would certainly like to see more of the city before we leave tomorrow," the Warden casts a glance at the young woman, who nods on cue. "And with two skilled warriors like ourselves around, I'm sure nothing untoward will happen."

Valerian had that strange half-smile, as if he was amused by something. Josephine just continued to glare at Draven, then with a slightly theatrical sigh tore her gaze away to studiously examine the ceiling.

"Come, time's a-wasting, It'll be dark soon." The Warden clapped Draven on the back again, hard, and headed off towards the coach, not looking back, in full certainty that the rogue would follow him.

Josephine cast a quick glance at Draven and let the corner of her lip turn up in a smile. She seemed to be trying not to laugh.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Draven flinches under Valerians hand on his shoulder, he dislikes being touched and the priest seems to be rather too familiar for his liking.

The smile slides from his lips as it becomes clear that the Warden is set on his company and the colour drains from his face altogether when Valerian confirms that she will be joining them. If that wasnt bad enough the Ezran had that odd smile, as if Valerian knew something.

Looking up as Valerians blow nearly knocks him off his feet, Draven meets her glance with a grimace on his lips, a reverse of the smile she shows. I am stronger than this, Im only going to arouse suspiciosn by arguing, this is something I will have to persevere with.

"Very well, I will go with you Warden" he says out loud. "For now anyway" he breathes to himself.

Casting an irritated glance around everyone else he sighs and pushing gently past Cornelius, William and Tarlyn walks slowly out the door after the priest.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Josephine gives a short, unlady-like snort of laughter, and follows them outside.