Kartakass: The Barovia Chapter

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Tarlyn smiles at Sefi. "Well I was planning on doing a perimeter watch from the roof as well as a tree or two, so that would cover the outside. I think with your keen ears" he really stresses the word keen "and my eyes nothing should get past us this night."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

3 a.m same evening

The rain begins as the clouds cover the moon, making it very dark outside. It batters against your windows...pitter patter pitter patter constantly. A wolf howls in the distance, promptly answered by another. A few minutes later the same thing, but the sound is now closer. The rain hits the windows incessantly....
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Arrogant, overbearing, cocky, cowardly, self-sure, melodramatic, idiotic ELF Sefi was not thinking charitable thoughts as she dropped off the roof where she had been talking with Tarlyn.

She landed on the balcony, her colorful clothing soaking wet. She walked down the corridor, battering on the doors of the rest of the group.

"Get up! Something's wrong with Tarlyn!"

Sefi prowled the corridors quietly fuming.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Oh no, not him too!" Murmurs Van as he gets up.

Half-asleep the wizard get dresssed quickly and waves his hands.

"Some protection is always necessary!" Thinks the evoker as gets out of his room looking for Sefi.

"What is going on? What has happened with Tarlyn?"

OOC> Mage Armor
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Dravens eyes fly open from his dreamy sleep at the banging on his door, "what the..."

Hearing Sefi's words he leaps from the bed, expereincing a moment of nausea, he quickly moves to the door. Having slept fully clothed he has no need to dress and flys out the door.

He can feel the adrenalin pumping through his system making him a little light headed as he runs down the corridor towards Sefi.

Skidding to a halt in front of her, Draven notes her rain soaked clothes "Where is he? The roof?"" he asks in an urgent voice.

[OOC: Tarlyn, Draven took a shot of morphine last night, and as its 3am he'll still be under the effects. I'll PM you them again ]
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Lucius wakes up promptly, but for some reason he doubts Sefi's words. Something innate inside him, which he cannot explain and fights against his rationality, is warning him. He takes the time to don his armor, wield his mace and pack on the holy water flasks. He also begs Ezra for help against the horrors of the night. Then he leaves, tries to find where the others have gone, and if the other guests seem to have noticed anything.

[OOC: casts Epiphany]
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

lostboy wrote:Skidding to a halt in front of her, Draven notes her rain soaked clothes "Where is he? The roof?"" he asks in an urgent voice.
"Not any more, thats the problem!" Sefi snarled at Draven. The rogue noticed her teeth seemed to be longer then was quite normal. Tossing her head angrily, she stalked about the corridor until most of the group was assembled.

"What is the matter?" Valerian asked quietly. His worst fears were coming true.

"Tarlyn's decided for some idiotic reason that he's becoming 'corrupted' and he wants to run off on us. He's gone to get this ghost-girl and wants us to cross the border by morning. Only he's not coming!"
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Draven stares back at Sefi, this wasnt what he had expected and it takes a few moments for his fogged mind to grasp what she was saying.

"So which direction did he go in?" he asks urgently.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

This was rather unexpected. Turning to Sefi, Lucius asked.

"So, what did he say to you? Did he just run off, or did he give any explanation at all? Still, I find it rather unproductive to track him... The problem is he was the only one who knew Kartakass reasonably well."
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Sefi whirled to Lucius. "Did you forget where I was from?" She said snarled.

"I already told you. Choir-cursed elf says he's cursed, polluted, whatever, that he'll go get the girl we're suppose to find, that we need to leave Barovia immediately, and that he'll leave us immediately."

The Kartakan girl was near quivering with rage, her voice dangerously low. Her arms were bare up to elbow in her short-sleeved blouse, and the hair on the back of her arms seemed to twitch and thicken and darken, then recede. Out of the corners of Sefi's mind she recalled something else Tarlyn had said.

"He said something about Strahd. I think the damn elf's been spying on us for the dead man."
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Draven stops in his tracks Spying he thinks, no I cant believe Tarlyn would voluntarily do it, I more than anyone should know you dont have to be aware of somethign for it to be true.

Turning to the rage-filled girl before him, he takes a deep breath and then asks in a gentle, calming tone "Sefi, you will indeed be invauable when we reach Kartakass, but please tell us what triggered these events on the roof. I have no problem heading to the border this minute and being gone form this cursed land but I would like to know why Tarlyn believes he has to act this way."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"There are many spells that control people's actions and/or minds. We have all seen that the Count is a powerful spellcaster. But still... if Tarlyn was spyning on us he wouldn't have left in the dark. He would attacked us while we are sleeping or he would try to convince us to do our task. Besides we never said that we will not do the task, we only said that we will ask some information about the woman."

Van makes a small pause and then continues:

"I have noticed the strange red glimpse at Tarlyn's eyes too, but I believe something else has happened. Maybe the drow managed to free himself for Strahd's spell, for this reason he might said he was curse and decided to do the task alone in order to protect us. I trust Tarlyn, I think we should do what he said."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

lostboy wrote:"I have no problem heading to the border this minute and being gone form this cursed land but I would like to know why Tarlyn believes he has to act this way."
"I don't know!" Sefi nearly howled. "He said he's corrupted, that he's done so much evil. He's not just being red-eyed, the Choir-cursed Elf's grown fangs now. And claws. And now he's going to leave us and do who know's what."

Sefi clenched her fist in barely suppressed fury. Her fingernails, normally short and workman-like seemed longer and more pointed as they bit into her palm.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Fangs and claws! You did see them Sefi? The fangs most of all, they were...like the vampire fangs? Does any of you remember when Talyn's strange behavior begun and has anybody noticed if he had two spots at his neck? Oh Ezra, I hope he hasn't begun what I think."

Says Van really worried and very concerned about Tarlyn.
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Down below you hear a knock at the Inn's front door. It is persistent, almost as if it is knocking to it's own beat. Thump....thump....thud..thump..thunk...thunk..thunk...tap..tap in rapid procession. It keeps going faster and faster reaching a crescendo, then stops. The party hears a loud thud at the door and footsteps receding into the night.