Hazlan: Chapter Four

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"There came a time in my life where my peaceful world was shattered by tragedy, and a sense of guilt for not being able to avert it. I turned to religion for solace and redemption, and found I was fascinated with Undeath and Demonism. Not to practice them, mind it, but to learn to fight them. I'm still beginning my studies in this area, but that's where I'd like to venture next."
"As a specialty priest of Lathander I specialize against the undead especially the ones that light affect. I would be more than pleased to guide you if you like, Lucius. As for spells, let us compare ours? Evoker eh? Some nice spells there but I prefer to be a wizard. That is my feeling and I am a mystic theurge so I can cast arcane or divine spells. Thus far you have seen both from me. This might be a good path for you to take,Lucius.Just a suggestion of course."

Jacob looks to Draven and smiles. "I sense something bothers you. Like you are trying to hide something from me or us, thoughIfear the others know already. Might I inquire as to what ails you?"
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

William seems somewhat comforted by Tarlyn's explanation. He adjust a bit in his seating befor letting go a long sigh and getting to his feet.
"Thanks for comin out with it. Best we be joinin the others."
He then turns towards the cottage and begins walking.
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Jacob looks to Draven and smiles. "I sense something bothers you. Like you are trying to hide something from me or us, thoughIfear the others know already. Might I inquire as to what ails you?"
Draven looks up with rather tired eyes. "Trust me you'd rather not know." he says looking levelly at Jacob.

Then with a change of heart as he reocnsiders that this elf has only shown friendship thus far and well he'll be travelling with them so might as well know what he's let himself in for, he continues "Very well, for your own protection you will perhaps be better off with the knowledge."

"I have been unfortunate enough somehow, somewhere to have become for want of a better phrase possessed. I have no knowledge of this, but I hve expereinced unaccounted for periods of blankness in my memory for several years now, and two in the past few days." He shudders remembering, befoe continuing in in a breaking voice.

"Most recently it spoke to me, the things it said and the promises made I dare not repeat, but I know now that I am host to something vile and dark." he licks his lips having turned paler and paler as he speaks.

"Once our mission in Kartakass is complete the others believe my slavation lies at the Cathedral of Ezra in Levkarest. I am not sure I share thier optimism, but for now I try to keep it at bay with morphine." Draven falsl silent , staring into the fire.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Tarlyn follows William back into the cottage. Heading for Jacob and the gathered party. "Ah good, I see the spellcasters, Jacob included, are here! And Alexander is here too, perfect. William, come join us, I have news that we should all hear, especially our friend Alexander and our new acquaintance Jacob."

"Friends, we are in for a long trek. I can guarantee it won't be easy. The addition of Jacob to our party should benefit us. Now as I told William outside, when I was out scouting back in Nova Vaasa I was ambushed by shapechangers. Captured, they took me to Darkon(I learned after I escaped). They misjudged my capabilities as I do dabble in some spells, and unlike you mages Ive no need of a spellbook. I killed them and escaped, Heading for the Church of Ezra with due haste. I recounted our progress until I was captured, and also mentioned a problem with Alexander. The head of the Temple there did some research and praying. Friend Alexander, I have no easy way to say this, but your cure is in this place called Sri Raji? I have never been. Any of you having heard of this place we should discuss it later or in the morning. And from whT I've been told, it took six or seven high priests, yes count them, six to cast the spell on you."

Jacob took this all in stride waiting until Tarlyn was done speaking. "MIght I ask if anyone has seen the possessed spirit inside Alaxander manifest at all? And friend Alexander, if I can help to ease your pain other than you using some drug, let me know please. I can study what spells I might use to help you, if you permit. I rather you sleep with a good spell than with poison running through your veins, ok?"
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Draven stares blankly his eyes moving from Tarlyn to Jacob and back again. Thoughts swirling through his head faster than he can process them.

What was that name again? Sr... something maybe?

Priests did this? BUt why, and when?

BUT that means it was done to me, it wasnt my doing!

The meniton of morphine brings him back to the conversation.
And friend Alexander, if I can help to ease your pain other than you using some drug, let me know please. I can study what spells I might use to help you, if you permit. I rather you sleep with a good spell than with poison running through your veins, ok?"
"Thank you for the offer." he mumbles distractedly, "but I will continue my trust in the morphine for now. I do not know what effect such a spell may have."

He returns to staring into the fire and lapses into his thoughts
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Van is more than happy when Jacob told them that he wanted to share his spells with them. But his hapiness fades when Tarlyn comes in and told them his news. With serious and preoccupied voice, the wizard asks:

"What kind of shapechangers captured you Tarlyn? And since it was an ambush I think someone already knew that you was going to scout ahead of us. I don't like it, have you heard anything of what they said Tarlyn? And are you sure that you have killed all of them?"

Turning to Jacob he says:

"I have seen it, it's a pit fiend. The first time it's gets out we were in a Castle of a powerful undead, we don't know what kind but it manages to turn the pit fiend in ashes with a single green ray! The second time it didn't actually get out, it casted the spells through Draven. I mean Alexander grew and seemed that casted the spells himself, but I'm sure that was the devil who did it. It casted a "mass hold" which actually saved our lives becasue we were fighting a dread troll and a werewolf. I'm not sure but I believe that the pit fiend gets out when Draven is afraid or something like that. I don't know why the second time it didn't get out, I only saw Draven got his head with both hands, it was like having an inner battle. After he grew up and casted the spell, he collapsed in ground unconsious. I hope I enlighten you a little Jacob."

Looking to Draven, Van says:

"Don't worry Alexander we will go even to Sri Raji in order to help you."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Tarlyn looks at Van. In a very serious, hard voice he says "I know they're all dead because I killed them all." Reaching into his bag, he began removing a dead body and dumped it on the ground. "This, is a doppleganger. It was also the leader. Trust me when I tell you I hunted down the swines and eliminated them, Van." His voice means no mistake. "Now. I personally questioned each and every one and I got the same answer. They were afraid to say who hired them, but they were hired by someone from Kartakass is all I found out. Enough on this matter."

Jacob frowns at the mention of a Pit Fiend. "That does not bode well if it is indeed a Pit Fiend. They are very powerful. I have never faced one but have done some research on the arcane. Tarlyn, you killed all 6 yourself? That's no easy feat, I'd not want to face even 2 dopplegangers!"
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Yes, I agree with Jacob! You are very good in combat Tarlyn! I didn't want to offend you before, I just wanted to be sure that you killed all of them and no one escaped to say what happened. We should be more careful now that we are near Kartakass, he or they might try to stop us again."

Van makes a small pause and continues:
"Sri Raji is a land of jungles and dangerous beasts. There are four main towns..... Pakat, Tvashti, Mulador and the city of Bahru which you have only heard is not a very nice place. It was built on a mountain by the way. It is usually very hot and humid during the day as temperatures reach 100 f. in Sri Raji."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

At this point Cornelius comes into the conjured cottage. The dwarf's hands are dirty and he's carrying a burlap sack with something lumpy in it.

''Look what I found, lads!''

He holds up the sack and empties it onto the floor. Several small potatoes, some greens, and wild onions tumble out. The plants still have a bit of dirt clinging to them, as if only recently dug up.

''Someone get a pot handy and I will cook for us. I'm not a professional, but it should be good enough for travelling fare.''
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Great! Good work Cornelius!" Says Van as fetches a pot to the dwarf.
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Jacob's eyes light up when COrnelius dumps the vegetables on the ground. "Friend Cornelius perhaps you aren't a cook, but I have studied the art of cooking and can indeed cook us a nice meal. Over in the kitchen there are utensils." Jacob gets up and walks towards Cornelius, pleased. "Here let me help you, I can show you a thing or two and we can talk a bit if you like." He picks up some of the vegetables and heads for the kitchen. Looking back he says with a smile. "We eat a good meal this evening! Might someone know how to hunt? Perhaps we could have a nice feast together?"

Tarlyn perks up at the words hunt."I do dabble a bit in the hunt. I have been doing the hunting since we began the journey." Removing a handcrossbow from within the folds of his cloak, he nods and heads out.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

''Ah, good!''

Cornelius seems really pleased.

''Thank you, Van.'''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

''Sure, I'd love to learn a little cooking from you Jacob. Too bad my mother isn't here. She made the best bread! Thick, black, heavy! Looked like treebark. It was sweet, though. She'd stuff it with honeycomb. Good stuff. ''

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Tarlyn, get Ace with you, he might help you, he is intelligent."

With that he says telepathically to the hawk:

"Ace, go with Tarlyn and help him with the hunting. Ah, and pay attention my friend if you see aything strange avert e immediately!".
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"That sounds delicious. I've never tried that. Bread isn't my specialty though. Marinades are and I have an extensive knowledge of herbs so it helps. I have sampled many dishes of different nationalities and races. My adoptive mother was quite a cook" Jacob get a faraway look "And so is my sister Bryzyne, who worships the godess EIlistraee on my home world. Eilistraee is really the only good drow deity I know of and my sister worships her. My mother did, but now is only a memory to us as Eilstraee came for her [she died a horrible death]" he gets a sad look.