Anime/Manga in Ravenloft

Books, movies, television and everything else
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Georg Kristianokov wrote:I've been reading Chrono Crusade. It could work for a 1920's Masque, but I'd suggest getting rid of the cuteness and some of the action.

Normal People Shouldn't Jump 30 Feet In The Air!
Wait until later, there's not alot of cuteness in the latter stages of Chrno Crusade, heh. I didn't get on to well with the printing standards in the manga (it put me off it), but I did love the anime.
Swallow your soul!
lordsathien
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by lordsathien »

What does anyone think about Speed Grapher's inclusion/immersion into Ravenloft (granted some of the tech would be downgraded)?
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

Love Hina - Keitaro is the darklord, "blessed" with the power to attract women, yet cursed to get the crap beat out of him by those women. Also, the woman he truly loves will constantly run away from him due to commitment issues, when she's not also beating the crap out of him.

More seriously, Ergo Proxy would work well once the tech level was downgraded. It already has the darklord concept built in, along with curses (the computer virus), mysteries, and emotional obsession.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Koudelka - Look this one up on Wikipedia for the plot, but the setting is 1890's Great Britain, the mood is Gothic through and through, and the Shadow Hearts sequels expand the universe even further and offer more dark ideas. Some things, especially the concepts of Malice and Will, need to be redefined to fit with the D&D universe. I've always thought of Malice as the physical manifestation of the negative emotions that the Red Death draws upon for power and represent a tangible form of its influence on the Earth--which is reflected in the Gothic Journals.

And am I alone in trying to make Yuri's Fusion abilities into a type of binder-based class?
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
lordsathien
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by lordsathien »

Vote to add Hell Girl /Jogoku Shoujo to the list. Hell Girl offers you the cost of uninterrupted and poetic vengeance against those who've made you suffer, at the cost of your own life as well.
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

yalenusveler wrote:there is a horrible part of me, that right now I very much want to kick in the goolies, that wants to adapt Ohotori Academy from Shojou Kakumei Utena as a domain, with Akio Ohotori as the darklord. Unfortunately, I fear his manwhoreishness is too much for even the Dark Powers to contain.
I'd argue that the darklord of Ohtori Academy isn't Akio; it's Anthy. Ohtori Academy is essentially a hell of her own creation, where her selfish act leads to her getting exactly what she wanted (being with her brother forever) in the most horrifically twisted way possible. Akio's certainly a ginormous part of her torment, but she's ultimately the darklord.

Utena also works scarily well as a Changeling setting, with the Student Council as a group of Spring Court Fairest, the power of Dios as an extraordinarily powerful title that they're fighting over, and Anthy as a secret loyalist.

EDIT: I can spell! :lol:
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Checco
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Checco »

Higurashi no Nako Koro ni would work perfectly, I'd say that the fact it's in 1983 works much better than Reinassance or every other time.

There is all you need: isolation, several choices for the DL, a right but not overwhelming presence of magic and gore (well, the latter just from time to time).
'...and they died happily ever after. The End.' - Xykon, from OotS #657
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

le Portraite de Petite Cossette. Not sure if this was mentioned here previously but after reading and watching it so many times it seems to scream Ravenloft with the curse and everything.
Swallow your soul!
vortexgods
Conspirator
Conspirator

Really Old Stuff

Post by vortexgods »

Magnetic Rose: Of course, if you take the stuff about space travel out of it it is a bog-standard Ravenloft story.

Perfect Blue: Satoshi Kon does an anime Giallo.

Paranoia Agent: Satoshi Kon again. Little Slugger (Shonen Bat if you prefer), the Darklord... actually, probably he's only one aspect of the true Darklord...

xxxHolic: A light horror anime series with the right tone for a Ravenloft game (Focuses on curses, ghosts and Japanese Kami. And the horror, don't forget the horror! )

Inuyasha: Hey! I loved a lot of the early horror based episodes. Kind of lost touch with it because it's a surprisingly long series.
vortexgods
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by vortexgods »

Isabella wrote:
Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:This pattern continues for a time as they hear coices whisper in their ear, urging them to move on and perhap suplant ideas of others that may be truly responsible for the deeath of their loved one. A simple idea, but the holder of the item will be cursed in turn in that as they continue to kill, their own death comes ever closer.
I don't really think this bit is needed. Part of the point of the Death Note was how fast it corrupted anyone who started using it. In the end, Ryuk wasn't really needed for the Death Note story to work - sure he was a plot device in a few parts, but everything that happened in the end was a direct result of Light's actions.
My brother pointed out that he read in a review that the real life person who resembled Light Yagami was Robespierre, master of the Committee of Public Safety who sent many a victim to the guillotine, all to create a better Revolutionary France.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Reginald de Curry wrote:Love Hina - Keitaro is the darklord, "blessed" with the power to attract women, yet cursed to get the crap beat out of him by those women. Also, the woman he truly loves will constantly run away from him due to commitment issues, when she's not also beating the crap out of him.
Somebody made a manga about my life?!

OH NO! OH NO! It's me!!! Somebody stole my soul and banned it into a comic! Damn you, AL GOOOOOOOOOOORE!

A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

vortexgods wrote:
Paranoia Agent: Satoshi Kon again. Little Slugger (Shonen Bat if you prefer), the Darklord... actually, probably he's only one aspect of the true Darklord...
I guess he could be a full Darklord, but he also seems to fit the profile for an out of control Bogeyman in some ways as he is born of a lie/work of fiction, that takes on a life of it's own. All the victims of "Little Slugger" pretty much invoked him in some fashion at first, and he became more powerful as the stories continued to grow. He was born from a girls shame at letting her dog die and a father allowing it to continue on. When the wife shows she has the will to face life for all of it, pain and joy in equal measure, then the horrible thing had no power over her directly in any fashion. May require some revamping or at least some explaination on why such a small sin grows into such a powerful entity.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Re: Really Old Stuff

vortexgods wrote:Magnetic Rose: Of course, if you take the stuff about space travel out of it it is a bog-standard Ravenloft story.
While I loved thids anime, it paled next to the original manga (printed in Memories anthologywhich was briefly translated and available in the west during the early 1990s).
Perfect Blue: Satoshi Kon does an anime Giallo.
A great story to set in Dementlieu.

Quote Ravenloftian I agree, but I think it'd be better subtled down to dementia and based in Dementlieu.
xxxHolic: A light horror anime series with the right tone for a Ravenloft game (Focuses on curses, ghosts and Japanese Kami. And the horror, don't forget the horror! )
I never managed to get into this one, the design work put me off, it was hideous for the most part.
Inuyasha: Hey! I loved a lot of the early horror based episodes. Kind of lost touch with it because it's a surprisingly long series.
Ah yes, Takahashi hets a great idea and after a little development she falls into her usual habit of halting all plot development and annoying the hell out of me. She did evemtually bring it to an end, but I'd grown bored by chapter 30 of the manga, I managed to last 80 episodes of the anime, but got fed of with it then. Some great moments to draw inspiration from, but nothing brilliant.
Swallow your soul!
RShini
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by RShini »

to bump an old thread I can think of a few other series:

Petshop of Horrors, the mysterious exotic animal seller that appears in the streets of some high society-type domain (Borca, Dementlieu, Zheresia etc.) - who is just as enigmatic as the creatures he sells. Sometimes the beasts he sells happens to be exactly what the buyer need (a rare familiar for the party's wizard, perhaps?).

Of course one's idea of just what they need is different then what this mysterious owner may have in mind, a prideful man may be given a Nightingale to sing all his shameful secrets to humble him, or a woman a cat that rips out the throat of her husband who has been secretly plotting to murder her.

This could be a way to introduce some more "Mundane" D&D beasts given a bit of a darker tinge (a Blink Dog that zealously over protects his charge for example).
---

Persona 4: I like the idea of a Shadow of someone's suppressed feelings coming out to wreck havoc, though obviously it needs to be on a medium other then the TV
"When they open the door and see a ten foot cockroach, they sigh in relief and mutter 'glad it's not a twenty-foot tall cockroach" - or something like that, Stephen King, Danse Macabre
d'Ysmaul
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by d'Ysmaul »

Has anybody seen Princess Tutu?

Watching it, I can't help but wonder if it isn't a very, very trippy domain somewhere out in Lamordia...
"Ravenloft is a land worth living in. It is a land worth fighting for. Don't surrender it to the night."