Starcrossed: A Ravenloft Comic Discussion

Fiction about Ravenloft or Gothic Earth
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

NeoTiamat wrote:Fred doesn't look so good right now. Apparently taking on a Rakshasa single-handedly didn't turn out so hot.
Well, that's what he gets for attacking something above his challenge rating unprepared.

Besides, almost getting disemboweled can do that to you.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

And now we've got the creepy skull-bird. This will end well.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

NeoTiamat wrote:And now we've got the creepy skull-bird. This will end well.
Some one is getting collected.

Lets hope that it isn't someone we know.

BTW: I'm not sure if anyone has brought up Fred's "class", but has anyone else gotten the impression that he's a paladin (possibly with Ethereal Empathy)?
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

He seems a bit too acrobatic for a paladin. Isn't there a psionic class with tumble as a class skill ...? In any case, despite being overmatched, Fred is still alive. Worth noting. And more than the skull bird, I am currently worried about a certain possibly-charmed noblewoman ...
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Rock wrote:He seems a bit too acrobatic for a paladin. Isn't there a psionic class with tumble as a class skill ...? In any case, despite being overmatched, Fred is still alive. Worth noting. And more than the skull bird, I am currently worried about a certain possibly-charmed noblewoman ...
I agree that some sort of psionics is most likely, but if you look at his reactions to the Rakshasa as Detect Evil, the ability to overcome the suggestion to get mad about Santine dancing with the lord as his extra bonuses, and the energy coursing across where the rakshasa as smite evil. So its somewhat possible.

Who knows at this point. I'm sure we'll see some more as time goes on.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Would he be able to Detect Evil in Ravenloft, though?
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

ewancummins wrote:Would he be able to Detect Evil in Ravenloft, though?
Only to detect Innocents and Evil Outsiders.

And Rakshasa's are an Evil Outsider.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

It's entirely possible that Fred's a multiclass. I can think of feats that synergize paladin-monk and paladin-rogue both. Psionics... Fred seems a bit too physical to be a psionic type, even the psychic warriors are pretty casty.

Depending on how literally we can take the fight scene, we can probably establish Fred's level as being somewhere below twelve or so but probably above six-ish. (He survived a Rakshasa but didn't beat it).

I'd say it's a given that Marie is a Pistoleer, especially since they get a bonus to objects and such. There's also ranged disarm feats, I believe.

Of course, it's also possible that Fred and/or Santine have some really weird templates or racial features that are confusing the signals regarding class (though Santine seems like a straightforward Cleric so far).
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

I swear I'm going to switch over to 4e mechanics and throw all-y'all. :P
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Isabella wrote:I swear I'm going to switch over to 4e mechanics and throw all-y'all. :P
Ha. Fred will just use his healing surge, then execute a girallon windwill kata doom-smash once-per-encounter power on the rakshasa. Instant rakshish-kabob!
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Are you kidding? :P That Rakshasa is clearly an Elite.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Isabella wrote:I swear I'm going to switch over to 4e mechanics and throw all-y'all. :P
That would make for some very different comics. :wink:

Comic #25

Jean-Louis: "N...no... f-forget me... you have to... s-save... her..."

Santine wacks him up the side of the head while shouting "In Ezra's Name!", and there's a glow of light from Zoe.

Santine: "She just had the best healing surge of her life. Now let's see to your wounds. And concussion."

That and the Rakshasa would have so much more trouble. An Insight check makes his illusion drop. He can't read minds or make suggestions. So much trouble... :wink:
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Isn't, "Wait, I've got Cure Immodest Wounds!" a problem in any story where there's a cleric/healing class?

Story wise...we seem to be a little lost. There's certainly a very hopeless feel to everything right at the moment. Is there a way out for, well, anyone?
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

A picture is worth a thousand words. In the case of the first panel this comic, they are all exceedingly skeptical words.
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Tobias Blackburn wrote:So much trouble... :wink:
Sounds like someone is asking for a challenge!