The origin of Fierin

Fiction about Ravenloft or Gothic Earth
tryst_91
Conspirator
Conspirator

The origin of Fierin

Post by tryst_91 »

Her screams pieced his mind like hot daggers, flaming brands that seared their way into his head. This head throbbed from the unceasing shrieks. The young woman lay chained to the stone floor, hands and feet bound. Furrows in flesh streaked down her blood crusted face where she had tried to tear her own eyes out. Luckily her hysteria had kept her from success. Her fiery red hair was matted to her skull and her clothes were wrinkled and torn. The girl's frame was worn and sickly, bruises marring her pale skin. Scars from the claws of goblyns and untold other horrors laced her body. Worse though was the state of her mind. Though she had been brought out of the hell of the castles three, she had not come out whole. Her mind had been mutilated far more than her body. Dark and sinister things dwelt in castle Tristenoira and it had been a miracle that the druids had even been able to rescue the poor girl, though not without numerous casualties.

"Give her th' bloody tea lad, th' herbs 'll calm her down. Her thrashin' about like that will only injure th' poor lass more an' her screamin' is liable to bring th' whole bloody army o' beasties down on th' complex." Fierin turned to the speaker and nodded. the grizzed old druid was one of the few remaining souls that had gone into the castles to rescue Fierin's sister and mother. Argyle was right, if the Goblyns found the cavern complex that was home to Forfar's human population, more than Fierin's family would be lost. No.. Sanctuary must always be kept secret lest the beasts locate it. The young warrior steeled himself and unstoppered the wineskin containing the herbal sedative as he stepped closer to his sister.

"Go on lad... I will hold her down, keep her from thrashin' about so much while ya give it to her". Again, Fierin nodded as the old druid slowly made his way to the girl and embraced her firmly. Carefully Fierin administered the tonic to his poor sister and after several minutes she calmed enough for sleep to take her though even the strong potion was not enough to keep the poor child from whimpering in her troubled sleep. "Well done me boy… Now go and get some fresh air.. the grove'll do ya good. I will see that she gets cleaned up. Go on now."

Reluctantly Fierin made his way through the maze of underground corridors of Sanctuary to one of the many hidden entrances to the surface. He stepped out into the morning air with a heavy heart. there had to be some way to help her, some way to free her mind from the curse of the castles. "Aye, Giogorio, there is a way to free the girl from the grip of the destroyer." Fierin whirled, long sword in hand, towards the gravely voice. Morning mists had risen across the highlands, however, obscuring his visibility. He could just make out a shadowy form within the swirling mists. A whirling sound to his left caught his attention just as a dagger spun from the mists and clanged loudly into his knuckles hilt first, flinging the blade from his hand. "No one draws on Madame Ivanna and lives, boy" came a harsh voice. "Calm yourself Raul. The boy is no threat to anyone yet." The owner of the first voice materialized from the mists, a bent withered old woman, garbed in layers and layers of brightly colored, mismatched clothing. Her smile was gap toothed and cruel. Raul was a heavy set man with a black mustache that seemed too big for his face. He too was dressed in bright colors though his vestments consisted of only a vest and loose trousers. a belt of throwing daggers ringed his torso from shoulder to hip. The young Forfarian eyed them both warily.

Madame Ivanna's eyes narrowed slightly. "Sit boy, we have matters to discuss." Fierin blinked hard as he suddenly found himself sitting on the ground without consciously choosing to do so. "I will no be bewitched by you! Release me in the name o' the Gods!" The woman cackled mirthlessly. "Foolish boy, Your so called Gods could not save your mother from a gruesome fate, nor will they release your sister from her torment… What power could they have over me?" Doubts about the Gods that had harbored deep within the heart of the Forfarian welled to the surface. Why had they not released his sister? The druids had prayed to all of their Gods but none had saved her nor eased her affliction.

"What do ya want from me woman?"

"You seek to cure your sister. I have come to give you a way if you so chose it."

"Why would ya help me?"

"Sometimes the why is not as clear as the way, young Fierin. It was the curse of the castles three that took her mind, so be it that a trinity sets her free. Three things bound, sealed in fate, in the lands of shadow do they wait. Brought together the curse undone, left apart the darkness won. Seek ye the trinity to free your dear Brenna. “The touch of the dark haired maiden, the blood of the mist born traveler and the will of the raven: only these will save her soul." The intensity faded from her crystal toned eyes and she grunted loudly as she stood. "Come Raul, we must be back to the wagons, the mist will be rising soon and I wish to be through the Mournland before dark." As if on cue, the mists rose swiftly from the surrounding trees taking the two Vistani from sight.

"WAIT! I do no know where to begin! Where is the land o' shadows? What do i do when i have found th' things? You can no just leave me!" In answer the wind replied, low and haunted... "Barovia"
-NWN RL Dark Powers of Ravenloft Guild & the RLCore -
A Ravenloft campaign setting for Neverwinter Nights