The Eye of Anubis: Book Four

Online roleplaying at the Café
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

The Ossuary of Ibn Sayyid, The Necropolis of Phiraz
May 24th, 761, 6:23 PM; Day 68 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

[I'm not even bothering with the calculations, Defacer had 5 HP, Entomber 18 at the end of the last round. Very good job, guys!]
  • "Q is for Quentin who turned the wrong trail
    R is for Remy who rotted in jail
    S is for Samael who was shot with a bow
    T is for Tomas who froze in the snow
    U is for Ulsaon who was clawed by a cat
    V is for Vladimir with plague from a rat
    W is for Waul who was stabbed in a bar
    X is for Xavier who was sunk in the tar
    Y is for Yashar who perished in pain
    Z is for Zari who simply went insane."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second Entomber did not have quite as impressive death throes as the other one, the positive energy Charles summoned flowing through it severing the necromantic connection that let Cavendish control it. With a quiet slump, the Entomber fell forward, unmoving.

The Defacer made up for it.

The blades pierced into its undead flesh again and again, and as they did, the screaming, wailing faces swirled faster and faster, screamed louder and louder, as though the Defacer was hard-pressed to contain the lost souls within itself. You weren't sure who landed the killing blow, but in a heartbeat, the power holding it together snapped.

Like angry birds startled, the screaming faces of crackling energy flew from the Defacer's undead skin, but now their screaming was different, a mixture of joy and rage, not pain and loss. Quickly, like ghosts but not quite, they circled the room, flying inches in front of your face, though you noticed none came too close to Cavendish. And as they flew, they grew, becoming not faces but forms, and brightening until it all but hurt your eyes to look at them.

The sound was deafening, but no longer fearful, and as the Defacer pitched forward, the losts souls yelled for joy at their freedom. They brightened yet again, and suddenly, in a flash of light and sound, they were gone.

Off to whatever heaven or hell would have them.

The sudden silence was, in its own way, deafening. Even Cavendish had finished his song, and the skeletal accompaniment had fallen silent. Only the labored breathing of the explorers kept Ibn Sayyid's tomb from being as silent as it had been for so many, many centuries.

"Dvigaitis, Velikiye Kamne, E Slyshai Meni."

Cavendish's whispered spell broke the calm, as the floor of the roomb began to move, like a slow-motioned earthquake. But it was not to hurt you. Underneath the Defacer and the Entombers, the floor opened up, lowering them down even as new waves of stone moved into place above them, in a crude approximation of the floor as it had existed before.

It was as though the three undead things had never existed.

"There now, much neater." Cavendish stood behind the sarcophagus, casting a quick glance at the skeletons behind him and dismissing them with a casual wave of the hand. They fell back to the bone piles from which they came, the instruments laying where they fell.

Cavendish began to hum a little tune to himself as he took a pocket watch from his coat pocket, tucking the cane encrusted with dried blood in the crook of his elbow. The pocket watch was tarnished silver, and somehow of a part with the rest of him, at once rich and decrepit, stylish and sinister.

"I'd expected a bit more from Act One of this drama. Ah well." The necromancer commented. "And now a brief intermission, as Act Two begins in...."

Cavendish checked his watch again.

"Fourteen seconds."
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Fighting Cavendish. Ibn-Sayyid's Tomb. Worried about others. Is everyone okay? He might use magic to get you. Stay on guard and contact me quickly.

Kuzan's short message transmitted over the sending stone to Sam, wherever he was in the city. The priest raised his shield defensively as he prepared for whatever the madman had prepared. Unfortunately, he had a sinking feeling that it wasn't going to happen here, but they'd all know about it anyway.

"Shanti, shanti, shanti," he whispered, over and over.

Using my sending stone, then going on full defense.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Looks like your grotesque assassin is gone now, Johnny," Lia calls out from her hiding place, "its captives freed from torment. What's next? The march of the old bones?"

Behind the sarcophagus, Lia mutters "Quod obscurus est, video", then slowly rises and squint at Cavendish, attempting to probe the magical defenses he boasted of.

"While we're in the intermission," she continues, "why not answer my question? What does a capering clown like you want with the Eye? You've practically boasted your undeath, you can walk in the sun without being turned to dust, you don't look like you're rotting ... What good is the Eye of Anubis to you? Or do you just plan to cut it up so you can make yourself look sparkly as well as morbid?"

(OOC: Cast Detect Magic; will attempt to define the protections around Cavendish. I know, I could have just blasted away during this time, but if he really has strong defenses up, that'd be a waste of artillery we may need in a moment.)
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Andre raised a hand to gently squeeze the amulet around his neck, flooding his body with positive energy. They managed to survive the first...engagement. But quite frankly, if Cavendish went for something worse next, it would pay to be prepared.

OOC: 3 charges off of the amulet of tears.
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

"Ask Kuzan to teach it to you," Charles replies as Khalil steps over the body of the Entomber and hurries to cut down the Defacer.

Seeing the coast clear for the moment he bends and picks his dagger back up; then the Defacer explodes, the skeletons stop playing and are dismissed, and Cavendish begins to speak. Keeping one eye on the necromancer Charles hurries to where al-Shirazi hangs in chains, keeping well against the wall and sheathing his weapons...for the time being...as he takes his lockpicks from his inner jacket pocket.

"Reverence," he says. "I'm sorry to see you in such a state. Let's see if we can get you down."

I'm not sure how easy it will be to get al-Shirazi down, especially in fourteen seconds, but it might be possible to shoot a lock off or something...
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

"I told you..." Tomas's grin is vicious as the souls depart to their respective afterlives. "...told you I'd...save them..." he's so tired.

wait. fourteen. what would-Tomas's eyes look at the ground, and then flick to the ceiling. His eyes, used to the dark of a stone mason's workshop, widen as seven and seven equal fourteen. "The ceiling!" Tomas calls out, holding his shield up over his head and trying to find a firmer place to stand under, "He's weakened the ceiling above him! The hole's..." Tomas squints, licking his thumb and sticking it out as if testing the direction of the wind. "...six feet in diameter! Get ready!"
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

The Ossuary of Ibn Sayyid, The Necropolis of Phiraz
May 24th, 761, 6:28 PM; Day 68 of the Menetnashte Expedition

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Rock wrote:"While we're in the intermission," she continues, "why not answer my question? What does a capering clown like you want with the Eye? You've practically boasted your undeath, you can walk in the sun without being turned to dust, you don't look like you're rotting ... What good is the Eye of Anubis to you? Or do you just plan to cut it up so you can make yourself look sparkly as well as morbid?"
"You've stumbled upon my evil plan." Cavendish raised a hand daintily to his forehead and sighed, not quite restraining a shark-like grin. "I've always wanted to make myself so pretty."

"But no, Miss Mournswaithe, if you think that the eye of a god can only be used only for immortality, I fear for your imagination."

Nathan of the FoS wrote:"Reverence," he says. "I'm sorry to see you in such a state. Let's see if we can get you down."
No luck. The lock was good and tight, and if Charles's guess was any good at all, probably warded as well. Cavendish seemed to be sparing no effort in making sure that his alter ego didn't escape. The bars were strong iron, and the lock steel. Given a half an hour and a hacksaw, there wouldn't be any problem getting the Judge out, but not now.

And then Judge Jalil al-Shirazi lifted his eyes to Charles, and the mathematician had a single, horrid premonition. For all that the Judge's eyes were sharp and focused, there was a pool of darkness that boded very ill indeed.

Kaitou Kage wrote:Fighting Cavendish. Ibn-Sayyid's Tomb. Worried about others. Is everyone okay? He might use magic to get you. Stay on guard and contact me quickly.
For several seconds, all was silent, the Sending Stone laying like a lump of rock on Kuzan's hand. You could almost imagine Samael, wherever he was, jumping for a moment as the magic did its work, then fumbling for the stone to send a response. And then the Sending Stone moved in Kuzan's grip, shivering as the magic worked again.

Get out of there! Fast! Meet us at the Gate of the Scorpions! Treachery by the Confe----

You suddenly had other worries than the stone.

"Four....three....two...." Cavendish gazed at his pocket watch, counting down with a certain delighted anticipation.

"One."

Nothing happened.

"Hmph... must've been some turbulance over the Ous---"

CRASH!

There was an earth-shattering crash as part of the roof came in, shaking loose the centuries old rocks that held up the roof of Ibn Sayyid's tomb. Dust and chips of stone came falling down upon you, and for a moment the room was obscured with ages of dust in the air. And then, slowly, it cleared.

...You had seen Diamabel before, of course, but the calm image of the Deva sitting upon his throne had utterly failed to prepare you for the visage of the Prophet of Phiraz enraged. He was.... magnificent. And terrible.

His armor was burnished to a golden sheen, bright as the sun, and the greatsword in his hands burned with the heat of an inferno, the flickering flames dancing along the blade. His wings were those of a great eagle, save that they were white as driven snow. But his face... there was no anger there, but merely the calm assurance that evil would be scourged from the world. And as he turned his calm gaze to Cavendish, you wondered why the necromancer didn't flee for his life.

"....What the devil?!?" John Lancaster Cavendish spluttered, pulling himself up from the floor where he had fallen when Diamabel had made his entrance. It was an act, it had to be an act, but it was convincing as anything you'd seen before.

"So you are Angra Mainyu." Diamabel said, his tone containing an edge of outright fury. "Or his overlord, at least."

"John Lancaster Cavendish, how do you do." Cavendish dusted off his coat lapel.

"Your scheme almost worked, necromancer. First, incite terror in my city, and then have your lackeys collect a king's ransom." The angelic being cast a disdainful glance at the rest of you. "Pity the High Confessor's men found your hideout."

Cavendish swore sulfurously.

"And it is a greater pity that you and your minions should imprison my loyal servant!" Diamabel's voice grew in volume and anger, as he worked himself to a righteous fury at the figure before him. "Had al-Shirazi not confided his suspicions to me this morning, you would have escaped. But as it is..." The Prophet of Purity turned his gaze briefly to the explorers. "Surrender now, and you shall recieve a quick death. Your master, however..."

"Ah well, you win some, you lose some." John Lancaster Cavendish grinned his shark's smile and twirled the bloodied cane in his hand. "But I hate to break it to you Diamabel, but I really must fly, so I wouldn't start sharpening the axes just yet."

And as he spoke, you saw the shadows behind Cavendish change shape, and texture, and then you saw that they were not shadows any more but wings. Great, black wings, like those of a bat or a dragon, spread from his back, unfolding from wherever they had been before.

"Zvukovoi Luch, Bei." And from Cavendish's outstretched hand, a bolt of solid sound and force shot out.... into the ceiling. The weakened section shattered at the blow, and with a grin, flew straight up into the darkness above, his bat-wings beating fast.

"Coward!" Diamabel roared, the burning flames of his sword growing hotter and brighter. The angel held it forward and charged after the wayward necromancer. "You cannot escape!"

[OOC: Listen Checks! Also, Diamabel's Fear Aura is a DC 23, but since its not direct at you, DC 19. Also, anyone much interested, they can make some Spellcraft checks for Cav's two spells, but they're nothing you haven't seen before.]

Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Hell's bells!" Lia swears. "We need to get out of this blighted city as quickly as possible, unless someone has a way to disenchant the judge. And that will only work if he can convince the flaming prophet of spit that he was being magically coerced when he accused us in the first place, or that he was being replaced by Cavendish! Damn it! Either we clear our name, or they're going to kill us, or at the very least chase us into the desert until they think we're dead!"

Lia suddenly clutches at her head, snarling. "The others! How are we going to get to them in time? Pelletier is already ill -! What do we do?"

Stomping on the floor in frustration, Lia suddenly throws back her head and screeches, the sound grating on the ears of the other members of the Expedition: "The bloody Embassy will even be in danger! I will not be able to pay the bats what I promised -- if they gather at the Embassy roof as agreed, they'll be slaughtered by the thousands! And everyone will think we were working for that scum, Cavendish! This is intolerable! How could that bloody deva not notice he was being lied to?"
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

"Well, generally, that's what can happen when you ignore an ominous weakening of the ceiling above you." Tomas drones in the dull, shocked tones of a man seeing a real, honest-to-Mordenheim angel crash in through the roof. "...snap."

And then, Diambiel's speech sinks in. "Wait, you think we were helping him?!" Tomas exclaims, honestly shocked, and then, well, priorities shift. This is all my fault, Tomas cannot help but think, in spite of this being a brilliantly bad time for self doubt, I got us involved in this mess...

...Lia, perhaps ironically, knocks him out of the stupor. "Lia, liebschien, darling, autumn flower;" Tomas grunts out of the side of his mouth, keeping one and a half eyes on Diambel and the fleeing Cavendish, "While your frustration in this most delicate of situations is understandable and, honestly, speaks well of your character and the bonds of affection you have formed with our humble organization, I daresay this is sort of a bad time for yelling."

He tries to motion to the others, jerking his head towards the way out, while stepping forward. This is his responsibility, and he can at least try to speak reason to the Prohpet...or slow the man down, if nessicary. I'm going to die. Tomas's inner cynic realizes, wide eyed with horror even as Tomas's actual face assumes an entierly false mask of calm and control.
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

"To the Gate of Scorpions!" Kuzan shouted in response to Lia's concern after Diamabel flew off, "Quickly, Samael is waiting for us there!"

He shoved his staff into his magic satchel and hurried toward the tomb's entrance. "He mentioned something about treachery by the Confessors before I lost contact. Let's go! Hurry! Don't lag behind, don't be stupid! We can deal with cleaning our name later when we make sure everyone's safe!"

Damn, that High Confessor. And al-Shirazi, too? He'd witnessed what happened in their fight against Cavendish's skeleton last night, hadn't he? Ulsaon's death, everyone's abject hatred of the man? That's not easy to stage. Or did something happen that al-Shirazi changed his mind?

No way to know right now, they had to get moving.

"MOVE!" he shouted, hoping his urgency would spur any laggers, especially Tomas, into action.

Passed the Fear save with flying colors at 24. Stupid Irony is STILL down.
Last edited by Kaitou Kage on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ishaq yells in frustration as the fiendish Cavendish escapes. Uttering under his breath as he slowly calms down. "He will know the feel of my blade soon enough. Soon it will taste the sorry excuse of a carcass he calls a body. Now I know why he is so infuriating. Kicking the dirt, Ishaq looks around and sees if anyone needs assistance.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

DocBeard wrote:...Lia, perhaps ironically, knocks him out of the stupor. "Lia, liebschien, darling, autumn flower;" Tomas grunts out of the side of his mouth. "While your frustration in this most delicate of situations is understandable and, honestly, speaks well of your character and the bonds of affection you have formed with our humble organization, I daresay this is sort of a bad time for yelling."
Lia snarls with fury -- then subsides. "Will it bring the roof down further?" she asks. "You ... at least saw what Cavendish did, Tomas." The words are clearly coming out with great effort -- the effort of maintaining even the flimsiest of self-control. "But kindly do not call me by pet names again. I dislike them."
Kaitou Kage wrote:"To the Gate of Scorpions!" Kuzan shouted in response to Lia's concern after Diamabel flew off, "Quickly, Samael is waiting for us there!"
"Yes, fine!" Lia wails, running after Kuzan. "But does he have the whole Embassy with him? Those are noncombatants, diplomats and support crew! By the Ultimate Mystery, we've been led by the nose, and those people are going to suffer for it! The bats will suffer for it! That old gravekeeper will likely suffer for it! The only good to come out of this festering mess is the fact that the defacer will claim no more victims!"

Cursing viciously, Lia runs back up the tunnel. "What do we do if we meet Confessors?" she asks. "If we kill any, we will never be able to show our faces in this city again -- and none of my combat spells are any good for restraining people!"
Last edited by Rock of the Fraternity on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

"Just shut up and run," Kuzan snapped at the masked woman, "I don't know and we don't have time to worry about it until it happens!"
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ishaq listens to he conversation of the party. He frowns. We should be working together, not against each other. This is wrong.

"We shouldn't be bickering amongst ourselves. Channel our fury on the coward Cavendish. We should be working together, not against each other. Let's put our energy into defeating this nemesis, not ourselves."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"That is fine and well," Lia calls back to Ishaq, "and when that scut shows up again, we stand together! But if experience is anything to go by, he is now either hiding where we can not find him, or fleeing for distant parts!" Lia shakes her head while continuing to run. "Do not fear rifts. We have bickered before, but we still stand together! I would trust Kuzan with my very life. And in order to safeguard that life -- and your own -- run!"