Online roleplaying at the Café
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Eye of Anubis: Book Six

Post by NeoTiamat »

Just East of Kermanshah, The Kermanevar, Sebua
June 22nd, 761, 5:52 PM; Day 97 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

In a strange, roundabout way, you kind of liked Sebua.

It was miserably, viciously hot during the day, and freezingly cold at night, of course. One two occasions you actually found ice in your water rations. The sun never ceased beating down, and all of you had to work to avoid becoming a heatstroke victim. The food, despite Michel's unique culinary spin, was fairly mediocre, and on no fewer than three seperate occasions large spiders or scorpions crawled into your boots.

You still liked it, however, because of what was not there. There were no demons, to begin with. Also no undead. Cavendish seemed to either be dead or at least in absentia following his tussle with Diamabel, which was a good thing. The Anubite's continued absence was more arguably beneficial, but life was less complicated when she wasn't around. And after you left Dezbar Keep, you heard nothing more about Confessors or Diamabel following you. After the God-Storm passed out of side behind you, you somewhat stopped worrying about it.

So in a way, the three weeks or so since Dezbar Keep was a time of relative peace, and of healing all the frayed nerves and various bruises and nicks and nearly-broken necks of the Keep. It might not have been paradise, (and in fact the palm-sized spider in your boot certainly made sure it wasn't), but no one was trying to kill you, which was an advantage. Of course, Michel's lizard-egg omelette after you criticized his cooking just might have counted as a murder attempt. You weren't quite sure.

Still, it was with anticipation, mingled with anxiety that you reached the first outpost of civilization in Sebua. Contrary to popular opinion, the Amber Wastes weren't wholly uninhabited. Put enough land somewhere and someone will live there. In this case, it was a little trading outpost nestled in the ruins of a former mining camp and military fort, the Kermanshah. What made the Kermanshah more interesting was its location in the side of a canyon.

"The Kermanevar is, I believe, one of the wonders of the natural world." Professor Pelletier said with a soft cough. The elder academic had mostly recovered from his near-death experience in Dezbar, though Kuzan said that the scholar's lungs and heart would never be strong. Pelletier would have that cough till he died. "It's a unique combination of an underground spring carving a thick central canyon, which later branches out into dozens, if not hundreds, of very narrow slot canyons."

"Fascinating." Samael rode by the professor, and you couldn't detect a hint of sarcasm. The Borcan had a very good poker face.

"It was discovered by a Pharazian general named Bey Feydahl Kerman, some hundred and fifty years ago." Pelletier continued with a disapproving look at Samael. It kind of reminded you of a teacher rebuking a student. "The Pharazians established a small, armed mining camp there, and stayed there for about thirty years. The mined for gold, actually. The mineral yields were never very good, and so they eventually closed down the fort after Bey Kerman's death."

"These days its a mining camp and trading post, one of a handful speckled between Phiraz and Muhar. It has a dependable oasis, so the nomads visit to trade, and travelers occasionally pass by on the way to Har'Akir. There may be anywhere from fifteen to hundred people in residence, depending on whether any of the nomad tribes are here."

"Well, we could use a bit of a rest and resupply." Samael nodded. "And a chance to find out what conditions are like further ahead."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You reached the Kermanevar right around sunset, and it was a sight to remember. The canyon was not the largest in the world, an honor which went to the Valley of Zhakata in G'Henna, but it was certainly a small, perfect jewel.

The northern part of the canyon, where you came out, had gently sloping walls and a zig-zagging ramp meandering to the canyon floor from the top on both sides. A slow, smooth river flowed along the bottom of the valley walls, with a stone bridge crossing it. Further north, the canyon terminated in a kind of hollow around a massive oasis, the size of a small lake, out of which the river flowed. To the south, the canyon split off into a maze of ever narrower canyons.

Michel whistled appreciatively. "Ezra... that is something I'm glad to have seen. But where's the village?"

"Look down, Effendi." It was Fassahd who said this, softly, but, you thought, with just a trace of smugness.

Kermanshah was built into the wall of the canyon. Around a large ledge about two-thirds of the way down the wall, the Pharazians had built a wall, and apparently a keep building. The keep was gone, taken apart for building material, but inside the remainder of the wall some dozen-odd tents sprawled with neither rhyme nor reason, and with plenty of room for more.

"Well, let's go." Samael said, flicking his camel's reins. The beast looked at him balefully, then proceeded to head down the ramp towards the trading post.

A view of the southern end of the Kermanevar
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Lia has been fairly quiet since the expedition's depature from Dezbar Keep. All of her spare time has been devoted to writing in her spellbook and her notebooks, studying the scrolls she purchased in Phiraz or claimed from the cache in Dezbar's dungeons, as well as a book with a honey-coloured cover she keeps borrowing from professor Marchand-Renier. Every evening, she has cast the Alarm spell for the camp before going to sleep, and occasionally experimented with other magics. But other than that, she has not spoken to anyone unless she was addressed first.

On the approach to the oasis, the Mordentishwoman bestirs herself. Casting an unreadable glance at professor Pelletier, she heels her camel closer to Fassahd's and clears her throat. When her voice comes out, it is rougher than usual, as if Lia was starting to forget how to speak: "Alright, you. Out with it: what kind of dire legends are attached to this place? Is there banditry? Do the people here charge overinflated prices? I assume you passed through on your way to the Core -- there probably is no other water for miles around. So what is the shadow side to this relief?"

All in all, though spellcasting has allowed Lia to weather the desert better than she did until now, she does not seem to have any romantic notions of the region left after previous experiences.
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Kuzan had been a flurry of activity the entire trip. Since he held a monopoly on magical item creation for leagues upon leagues, he had a lot to keep him busy. It was actually quite amazing seeing the priest create marvels out of virtually nothing. Shortly after leaving Dezbar, he produced several nondescript rations boxes. They seemed pretty unremarkable at a glance, but then he pulled out enough dried meat, bread, and water to support a full 1/4 of the expedition outside the desert. Again, not too spectacular until he did it again the next day. It seemed like every day he had some new trinket, charm, gadget, or device that did something wondrous. Maybe that's why they were called wondrous items.

When he wasn't busy creating his charms, he was often found creating water, food, or both out of thin air. His provisions boxes helped alleviate any strain on water demands from biped and quadruped alike, but in the ruthless Sebuan heat, sometimes you just needed more water and food. So they called in the priest.

For someone who'd grown up in a dank, humid jungle, Kuzan took to the desert remarkably well. He seemed less bothered by the burning days and frigid nights, though that could've been due to his prayers. When dehydration, heat stroke, and other desert problems reared their ugly heads, he was there, helping pull folks out of it. If anyone asked, he just shrugged it off with a grin, and off-handedly said he grew up on a desert of a different sort.

Kuzan had been so busy, in fact, that he seemed startled by the sudden call for a stop. Hurriedly, he put his tools and materials away, and urged his camel forward to look.

"Wow..." he barely managed to say. Evidently, the priest had never seen anything like this before. His golden eyes glimmered with such awe that it made you wonder if he was about to jump off his camel and give praise to whichever god he figured deserved it at the moment.
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

"At times, one must surely wonder if we must confront horrors such as we do as a cost for being able to view such splendor.." Andre mused. Much like Lia, his activity over the trip had been a frenzy of writing. And when he wasn't engrossed in writing, it was reading. But right now...he was gazing. It was rather tourist, honestly.

"Lia, I'd begrudge you for bringing our usual penchant for misadventure into things, but I fear experience has made me consider such chiding foolish." He almost smiled a bit

"I mean, how bad can it be? A giant spider that eats sand so it can spin a web of glass so fine it can take off a man's arm? The ghost of a Trader who can barter health for riches, love for youth, hope for power? A beautiful woman who seduces travelers, only to turn into sand and flay the flesh from their bones?"
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

yalenusveler wrote:"I mean, how bad can it be? A giant spider that eats sand so it can spin a web of glass so fine it can take off a man's arm? The ghost of a Trader who can barter health for riches, love for youth, hope for power? A beautiful woman who seduces travelers, only to turn into sand and flay the flesh from their bones?"
"Hah--something is certainly to be said for getting one's options upon the table before the fact."

Otto flicked a wry grin at Andre. The gunsmith was looking less sunburnt than you'd imagine for someone who'd been smack in the middle of vicious heat for a month or so--someone'd apparently become more comfortable with triggering endure elements on a dime. He'd more or less returned to his enthusiastic old self over the past three weeks, which he'd split pretty evenly between copious note-taking, tinkering in the back of the supply sledge (he hadn't yet mentioned exactly what the project was, but whatever it was smelled vaguely of sulfur), and attempting in-depth philosophical debates with desert shrubs when he thought nobody was looking.

"Now, as I am seeing it, if fate is really wanting to surprise us...I imagine that the village will be filled with villagers, unaligned with any particular demon king or non-dead horror, and surprisingly unlikely to knife us as we are sleeping. Hope is springing eternal, yes?"
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

"So it does," Charles agrees. He's become quite a bit more tan, and the harsh sun has bleached his hair (already very fair) to tow, but he seems to be rather enjoying the parched desert air and high heat--or, at least, not severely discomfited by it. Over the last three weeks he has done a lot of reading and writing himself--"one of the caravan of bookworms inching across the desert" as he laughingly described the Expedition one day--and has also spent a fair amount of time practicing his Akiri on anyone who will stand still long enough for him to open a conversational gambit. "Or perhaps it's a double cross, and the villagers are just villagers, but then there will be some horrible interloper here who demands our attention. As has happened before, more's the pity. Quite a scene, though, isn't it? Look at all that water! Lovely."

Spurring Kejser forward he sets off at a trot down the ramp leading to the valley floor, rapidly coming to the front of the column and then going on a bit ahead of the rest of the group.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ishaq was in his element the days the expedition traveled to Sebua and the Kermanevar. The unbearable humidity bothered him not. He kept to himself during the voyage, basking in the outdoors though the heat was impossible. He did thank Kuzan for his new gauntlets and wore them with pride, secure in the kowledge they would help him in battle. At night he would bundle up and sleep well enough. In his rather short life, Ishaq had seen many things, Diambel included. Nothing quite prepard him for the breathtaking sight of the canyon. "By the prophet" he muttered under his breath, sincerely awed by the sight. "Never have I seen anything so beautiful........"
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Eye of Anubis: Book Six

Post by NeoTiamat »

Just East of Kermanshah, The Kermanevar, Sebua
June 22nd, 761, 5:58 PM; Day 97 of the Menetnashte Expedition

Rock wrote: "Alright, you. Out with it: what kind of dire legends are attached to this place? Is there banditry? Do the people here charge overinflated prices? I assume you passed through on your way to the Core -- there probably is no other water for miles around. So what is the shadow side to this relief?"
"You overestimate the humble desert traveler, Effendi." Fassahd said in his usual, slightly wavering voice. Three months of your company has improved his Akiri, but done nothing for the man's perpetual nervousness. "All that I know is from a single passage through, some months ago. They charge high prices, but their location justifies it, Effendi."

Kermanshah, The Kermanevar, Sebua
June 22nd, 761, 6:41 PM; Day 97 of the Menetnashte Expedition

Nathan of the FoS wrote:Spurring Kejser forward Charles sets off at a trot down the ramp leading to the valley floor, rapidly coming to the front of the column and then going on a bit ahead of the rest of the group.
The first sounds of Kermanshah that you heard was the ringing sound of metal crashing upon metal. The blacksmithy of the little trading outpost was the nearest to the ruined walls that formed the 'entrance' to the village, and it was, understandable, in the open air. A kind of awl kept the sun off the smith, but otherwise, the four walls were only a collection of poles.

Poles that were about six feet tall. This was because the blacksmith of the trading outpost was a dwarf. Perhaps three and a half-feet tall, the smith was broad-shouldered and strong-looking even for that race. He wielded the hammer and tongs like a master.

When he saw you come approach, the dwarf doused the chunk of metal (a sword, you thought) in a basin of water, placing his tools on the table and heading out to meet you. He was dressed in the standard gear of the blacksmith, with a leather apron and leather trousers. His hair and beard were white-blond, and done up into handsome, elaborate braids.

"Aye, greetings newcomers. Not oft a man of foreign lands comes here." The dwarf spoke almost without the brogue that most had, but there was something odd about his pronunciation and wordchoice. "The name is Ivor Stahlrheim. I'm Kermanshah's smith, and crafter of the best metal work in the Amber Wastes. I also create jewelry, if you souls are interested in baubles like that."
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Greetings Effendi Ivor Stahlrheim" Ishaq pulls up to the dwarf on his camel and disembarks the animal, holding it's reins. Flexing his legs slightly, he eyes the dwarf. Never having seen a dwarf didn't bother Ishaq at all. Meeting new cultures was something he enjoyed. He bowed to the dwarf then put his back straight. "I see you make remarkable weapons. Do you know how to use them as well? I am somewhat capable myself in the use of the greatsword and great club. A weaponsmith is adept with the weapons he forges I bet" Ishaq says with interest and a smile. "It is an honor to meet you." Though he overtowered the dwarf by near two feet mattered not to Ishaq.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

yalenusveler wrote:"Lia, I'd begrudge you for bringing our usual penchant for misadventure into things, but I fear experience has made me consider such chiding foolish. How bad can it be? A giant spider that eats sand so it can spin a web of glass so fine it can take off a man's arm? The ghost of a Trader who can barter health for riches, love for youth, hope for power? A beautiful woman who seduces travelers, only to turn into sand and flay the flesh from their bones?"
"Please don't," Lia says with a shudder. "Just ... please don't. Apart from the temptress; I would be fairly safe from that kind of problem, I wager. But any of those other things would be just about par for the course, for our merry little band ..."

When seeing Ivor Stahlreim for the first time, Lia blinks, surprised by the blacksmith's appearance. "My goodness," she says softly. "Pardon me for staring, sir. I do not believe I have ever met a member of your people before."
Dismounting, Lia approaches Stalhreim and sinks to one knee, putting their heads at equal height, and offers her gloved hand to shake. "Are you from Darkon, sir?" she enquires. "Or from Lamordia? In either case, it would seem that you are far from home, as are we. Might I ask how this community fares? Is all well here?"
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

"Just trying to clear what might be possible from the table, assuring we'll only face the improbable." Andre said with an almost smile. His eccentricity may have increased a bit, his cat benefiting from resistance to the weather via magical means now, and now that they had reached civilization of sorts..taking up residence in his arms for lavished attention after he dismounted.

Upon meeting their first resident of the local camp, Andre was about to say something...then saw Lia kneeling down, wincing a bit on the inside. Though he was raised far from it, his mother was Darkonian, and as such he was used to the non human races, at least by mention if not in person.

"I have to echo my compatriot's settlement..where are you from, if you don't think me rude for asking. Your accent is a bit different from what I'm used to. Oh..and I'm being terribly rude. I'm professor Andre Theroux." He offered a smile, but not a handshake due to having his arms occupied by cat.
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Khalil reigned in his camel, unwound the scarf from his face, and removed the dark lenses from his eyes as the group rides up the trading post of Kermanshah. Giving the place a cursory lookover, he nods in satisfaction, this would do adequatley for a few days break before the grueling trek further into the wastes of Sebua.
nathan of the fos wrote:"Quite a scene, though, isn't it? Look at all that water! Lovely."
"Indeed Affendi, the stuff of life is a most welcome sight."

The desrt guide had been much happier with the progress of the expedition than he expected, in fact the lack of notable incidents between Dezbar keep and the Kermanevar was certainly a cause for celebration. Their preparations had served them well and the provision of of food and water by Kuzan's magic was a welcome relief from supply worries, as was the general adaption that just about every party memeber had shown to the environment.

Walking his camel up to the blacksmiths he joined the group gathered there.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

"And you were yelling at me?" Tomas looks at Andre, raising an eyebrow and punching him in the shoulder. "I think you just like it when..."

And, then company cuts him off. Tomas's eyes widen for a second...and then he breaks out into a grin. [Dwarven] "Hallo and salutations smith of the Stahlrheims and gentledwarf(*) in good standing! I am Tomas Eisenwald, who was taught by the Rochrahms of Lamordia whom is greeting you good day!"

"Yeah."
Tomas adds, unable to keep the little grin off his face, "Who's talking in cantunderstandlish now, huh fellows? Not me! I speak dwarf! I'm the man now, dog!"

"Sorry." Tomas switches back to Mordentish, "You have no idea how often I've wanted to use that funny black text. Hallo!" Tomas offers a handshake and a grin, because he is obviously insane.

(* A rough translation of the auld dvarfin proper greeting for a stranger, which literally translates as, "Dwarf whom I do not know but are assuming is in good standing as I am a good judge of character and have seen a number of proper dwarfs in my time.")
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

Otto does a discreet facepalm at Lia's introduction, which turns into a small smile/headshake at Tomas' enthusiastic greeting. Even though his hometown was too small to have any real racial diversity, you can't get by in the Lamordian crafts market without doing business with a dwarf or two, and the gunsmith has a good deal of respect for the culture.

Better keep things simple--I know how I'd feel if I had ten-odd foreigners lining up for how'd'you do's.

A firm handshake, a nod, and a grin. "Otto Schultheiss, of Schultheiss Firearms in Lamordia. A pleasure, sir."
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Kuzan took a moment to recover from the surprise of seeing not a human, but a dwarf. Then, he gave Tomas a mild frown. "I can do that, too," he muttered under his breath in Sri Rajian.

"Good evening," he greeted the dwarf brightly from atop his camel, "I am Kuzan, priest of Varuna and crafter of magical goods."