The Eye of Anubis: Book Six

Online roleplaying at the Café
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

"And so are they."

To hear him say it, it could have been the first sentence Otto uttered in years.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Charles' reaction is more subdued; with a wry smile, he waves farewell to the ascending souls. "Liberte," he mutters, and for just a moment his face is distorted in a grimace of unhappiness so intense that it suggests despair.

"That's that," he says cheerfully, as if the moment had never been. "A rough patch, there, but all's well that ends well. No reason to stay, correct? We'd better get back before M'sieur Maleagant has a conniption fit or an aneurysm or whatever it is that sufferers from chronic stress are liable to have when their stress becomes acute."
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

"Sights like that, once in a lifetime for a world." Andre said, a smile spreading across his face. He seemed oddly content, given the circumstances of the souls' release. But then again, some things were WORTH it. He wiped perspiration from his brow to little effect, glistening like dew in the morning light.

"Someone needs to help our dozing little friend back home. And I've still got a way of giving Sam his fit. I've predecessors to meet, after all."
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Lia says nothing, makes no observations about the goblins, nor the cloud of travelling souls. None of the spectacle seems to stir any kind of response in her. She only spreads her new wings and flies over the heads of the Expedition, over the chasm, down to she sleeping child. She picks the boy up, casts a single look at the other members of the Expedition, and then one in the direction whence they came to get to this horrible place. Follow, that look seems to say. Slowly, giving the others ample time to catch up, the Wizard starts to walk.
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Khalil also says nothing, not that he hasnt any response to give, just everyone else seems very wrapped up in the experience. The desert guide cannot help but feel contempt for the fey and their stupid games, games that cost him nearly everything. And considering the looks on others faces its probabley best Khalil doesnt let that out now.

He hangs behind and is the last to leave the canyon. Turning he squints into the sun at the black statue one last time, then with a grim look as the anger fills him, he spits into the dust before turning away and following the rest.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Statue of Beyrath, The Mazes, The Kermanevar, Sebua
June 24th, 761, 5:20 AM; Day 99 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

It was a somber procession that departed the Statue of the Faceless. You had succeeded in your task, that could not be denied, but there was a subtle sense that in the process you had paid a high price. The Faerie never lost out on a bargain, and you doubted the Featherflute was an exception to this rule. Nor the Bloodthorn or the Oracle of the Waters.

But, but, but! You were alive. Kermanshah would live, and whatever further madness this lead to, you knew you had done a good thing, a great thing. Now, to rest.

As you left the statue of Beyrath, a faint snatch of flute music caught your ear. Had any turned back then, they would have seen quite the sight, but by unspoken agreement, none turned. There was such a thing as too much magic.

Kermanshah, The Kermanevar, Sebua
June 24th, 761, 7:24 AM; Day 99 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you finally navigated the Mazes to return to civilization, or at least a reasonable facsimile thereof, the sun was already well in the sky. Still you weren't quite expecting what greeted your return to Kermanshah. At least a third of the little village was out already (that is, maybe fifteen people), arguing in the one semi-official street of Kermanshah.

"NOURI!" A voice pierced the din, and out of the crowd rushed a pleasant-faced woman of about thirty. You had to blink a few times to realize that this was the previously dead-faced widow Roshna. Now there was a rosiness to her cheeks, a certain vibrant life about her that was unmistakeable, even as she took the sleeping boy into her hands. "Oh, thank, thank you, I was worried sick, Nouri, where did you go, oh Nouri."

The woman cradled the child, not even noticing you really, as you noticed another man approach. He was short and stout, so barrel-shaped he waddled as he walked. His fringed and tasseled robes jingled lightly as he walked, and the cap the wizard wore on his head was rainbow colored and almost hurt the eyes. But there was a shrewdness in the mage's eyes, and a certain sly good humor.

"Good morning strangers, I'm sorry you had to see us this way. I really don't know what came into Nouri." The mage smiled broadly. "My pardons. I am Bahadur, the local wizard, head trader, and unofficial headman, and this is Kermanshah. Let me be the first to welcome you to our little trading post, and the first to thank you for finding Nouri."

You caught a third familiar face in the small crowd. Mary Collins was up and about, and there was a rather genuine look of utter confusion on her face as the people began to disperse, content with finding the missing child. They chatted in a pidgin of Akiri and Pharazian, regaling each other with stories of recent deals or bits of gossip that took place yesterday.

The Mordentishwoman caught your eyes and shrugged. Perhaps it was a strange kind of mercy on the Featherflute's part. What these souls must have seen in the service of Faerie was not something you particularly wanted to imagine. The River Kermanevar had become the River Lethe, it seemed, if only for a moment.

Still, they were pleased to see you, as customers if nothing else, and the people were grateful for your finding Nouri. As for all the tales of Faeries and manticores and mad pipers... well, were they really necessary?

Alright! This is, more or less, a wrap. The Expedition will stay in Kermanevar two more days, restocking and relaxing and everything. None of the people remember a single thing, with the exception of Mary Collins, and have rationalized any odd holes in their memory.

A few things you can do in Kermanevar before you go:
-Andre, you're required to go to the Little Valley of the Dead. We can handle this in AIM, and feel free to invite any other people that you want with you.
-You can do some shopping. Bahadur will buy most things and has a fair selection of magical items.
-You also need to decide what to do with the Strange Case of Mary Collins.
-I know at least one person has other extracurricular plans.

Once you've figured out what, if anything, to do with Mary Collins, I'll move on to the closing scene of the Book, probably tomorrow if you guys are quick about it. Book Seven will start sometime Sunday then, ideally.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Lia regards the scene of the oblivious, happy village silently. The first words she speaks since leaving the area around the Statue of Beyrath are: "Lost my veil." She cocks her head, seeming to consider, then ... shrugs. Without another word nor a look back at the rest of the Expedition, Lia draws out her cane and, leaning heavily on its ebon length, starts to limp back to camp. While the vitality seems to be surely leeching out of her, she keeps up the same pace and does not ask for help.
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

"I've some much needed rest to acquire myself, then some exploration. I'd be rather hesitant to go alone, so if anyone would like to offer aid, I'd prefer it more than pulling people in kicking and screaming, as we've seen how that turns out." As Andre headed off for some shuteye, he wiped some more sweat from his brow to little effect, though it seemed no real discomfort.
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Khalil's head perks up at Bahadur's mention of being head trader, in all the commotion he had forgotten the necklace form Dezbar. However he wasnt keen on the shrewdness now evident in the mage's eyes, it didntn spell good news for the purse.

It was obvious he would need some help to get a fair price, casting around his eyes alight on Charles. "My friend perhaps before we leave you would render me assistance in the trading of an artifact with our wizard friend over there? I believe we could arrange a small commision for your trouble."
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ishaq speaks to Charles as well "Effendi, might I visit this mage with you and Effendi Khalil? I want to sell the armor I won from Ofnir as I will not be using it."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

lostboy wrote:Khalil's head perks up at Bahadur's mention of being head trader, in all the commotion he had forgotten the necklace form Dezbar. However he wasnt keen on the shrewdness now evident in the mage's eyes, it didntn spell good news for the purse.

It was obvious he would need some help to get a fair price, casting around his eyes alight on Charles. "My friend perhaps before we leave you would render me assistance in the trading of an artifact with our wizard friend over there? I believe we could arrange a small commision for your trouble."
"Certainly, certainly," Charles says, a bit distracted. "I'll be glad to do what I can for you gentlemen. Er...one moment."

Approaching Miss Collins and bowing, Charles says, "Well, a bit of an exciting moment there, but the lad's back safe and sound. Have you decided where you are bound, m'selle? Or if you'll remain here to wait for a caravan on its way to the Core?"
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

yalenusveler wrote:"I've some much needed rest to acquire myself, then some exploration. I'd be rather hesitant to go alone, so if anyone would like to offer aid, I'd prefer it more than pulling people in kicking and screaming, as we've seen how that turns out."
Otto allowed an exhausted smile--seeing the residents of an entire village revivified will do a lot for one's mood, no matter what level of sensory overload one's gone through the night before.

"What are we here for if not archaeology, ja? If you will have me, Herr Theroux, I would be happy to serve as backing-up. First, however: sleep. And, hopefully, a deal of distance on this night..."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Kermanshah, The Kermanevar, Sebua
June 25th, 761, 7:24 AM; Day 100 of the Menetnashte Expedition

Nathan of the FoS wrote:Approaching Miss Collins and bowing, Charles says, "Well, a bit of an exciting moment there, but the lad's back safe and sound. Have you decided where you are bound, m'selle? Or if you'll remain here to wait for a caravan on its way to the Core?"
Mary Collings curtseyed politely in return, though as she did so Charles noticed her soft, blue eyes flick to the dispersing crowd, a hint of suspicion written in them, leavened with genuine confusion. "M. Martel, nice to see you again."

"You did something, didn't you?" Mary's voice dropped a notch. "Just after the sun came up, they suddenly started to act like normal people. Except they don't remember you and they think I've only been here two days. And now you're back, and you look like you haven't slept a wink all night. What is going on?!"
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

"Excuse me, Charles, Mary," Kuzan said quietly as he approached, "Regarding your position, is there anyone I can have a message sent to that you know will be able to get you out? I have a few contacts in places closer to the Core that I can send messages to instantly. They may be able to relay something to someone that can help you."
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

"I'll be coming with you, Andre." Tomas informs; he is calm about it, not judgmental, condescending, or threatening in any way.

But it isn't a question, either.