Mists Over the Musarde, Interlude 1

Online roleplaying at the Café
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

"Hmm, it is the proverbial golden spine on the porcupine then." He blinks. "Something is lost in the translation." He stubs the cigarillo out, and walks back towards the dining hall.

On the way back, Dorgio asks in a low voice, "This new friend of Denys, you think we can trust him? I am no mapmaker, but this land he claims, we are to believe it is thousands of miles away? Farther away by several times what the world stretches end to end? He's not telling us something. Denys, he spoke only vaguely of their relationship as well."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

at the dinner table-

Evangeline, having reseated herself, joins in the conversation-

''Oh , rat-men beneath the city? That sounds like one of Hannah's bedtime stories!''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Norzak sits rights after Evie. "Rat-men?" Muttering under his breath "Wunner if they make a good stew?" "Why dun we go n kill us some 'o' these rats then. Mebbe we kin fin' tha mirror as well. Cuz if we don' look we won' fine it." Norzak still remembers his dream vividly and the lady.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Evangeline gestures towards Benn,
''Norzak, I believe that Benn already has the mirror. It's this, euh, portal that he wants to find. Is that right, Benn?''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Alain stands up to toast "To a fruitful expedition to where ever it may lead! " An aside to Evie:" And I hope it doesn't lead to a smelly place like the sewers. "
Last edited by Lord Skybolt on Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:"Hmm, it is the proverbial golden spine on the porcupine then." He blinks. "Something is lost in the translation." He stubs the cigarillo out, and walks back towards the dining hall.

On the way back, Dorgio asks in a low voice, "This new friend of Denys, you think we can trust him? I am no mapmaker, but this land he claims, we are to believe it is thousands of miles away? Farther away by several times what the world stretches end to end? He's not telling us something. Denys, he spoke only vaguely of their relationship as well."
"I do not know, to be honest," the archivist says, following closely behind Dorgio. "There are stories of people who wander out of the mists, claiming to have come from lands far away. I have never encountered one before. I would be interested to speak with him about this in detail, but something tells me that Alain wouldn't have much to say. He seems to wish to keep his details private. Herr Denys seems to trust him. Perhaps that will be good enough for us." He smiles, his expression saying more than his words. "Perhaps..."

As they rejoin the others in the ballroom, he looks up in response to Denys' question. "Ah, it has been my experience, Herr Sancerre, that children's stories often contain more of a grain of truth than we give them. Rat-men are not entirely uncommon in the literature, or at least the beast-men known as lycanthropes. But, let us hope that perhaps the stories are simply exaggerations. I have heard that this city's rat population contains some perfectly ordinary varieties that can grow to quite large size."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

In response to Benn, Denys says-

''Oh yes, there are BIG rats down there. Sometimes they crawl up from the pipes and into the warehouses. They eat our goods- even silks! Nasty brutes. I've seen one the size of a hound, I swear it! Ugh. My men killed it with crossbow bolts, but not before it ate one of the nightwatchman's dogs!''

Evie looks horrified by her father's story.

''Oh Alain, I hope you'll be very careful if you do go down in the sewers!''

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

"Oh, Evie I'm allways careful if I have to deal with rats of any kinds!!!"
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

''I wish Sir Cirdan were here. He'd protect us all from anything nasty that came up from below. He's a very brave knight! He killed men to defend my honor!''

After making that last comment, the girl's skin flushes and her breaths come a bit more quickly for a moment.

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

"We will protect you until he comes back, especially Norzack I would think." Thinking :So why would he leave such girl so smitten with him here?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Evie smiles at Alain's promise of protection.

''Why, thank you, Alain. ''

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

ewancummins wrote: ''I wish Sir Cirdan were here. He'd protect us all from anything nasty that came up from below. He's a very brave knight! He killed men to defend my honor!''

After making that last comment, the girl's skin flushes and her breaths come a bit more quickly for a moment.
Bennedict tries not to insult his host by rolling his eyes.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Norzak coughs to cover up his laugh. Ah tha missy is smitten with the elf. I wunner if whats tha sayin' bout absence makin' tha heart grow fonder is true? We'll see. Norzak leans up to Benn and with a mischievous look in his eyes says "Ain' love speshul, Benn" Norzak sits back down and covers his mouth , which is now trembling. He keeps his cool and fortunately doesn't laugh.
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

So wandering over to Norzak he whispers to him "So how long has she known this Sir Cirdan any way?"
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Ain' long enuf by me reckonin'. But who kin tell with 'uman lasses. Dwarves take a while 'n' I guess even pointy eared elves take their time too. 'Umans alllas in a hurry 'n' such. "ey don' live long either, no offense bub. HE whispers back. Then says "Ey Al, ye thinkin' of joinin' us fer a bit? Kin allas use an extra hand 'n' whatnot."