Mists Over the Musarde, Interlude 1

Online roleplaying at the Café
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Yes, I would loved to help Denys friends with this. It sounds like an intriging mystery and I would wish to stop any nefarious actives in my new home.
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

When Norzak invites Alain to join and Alain accepts, Dorgio's eyes flash quickly to Benn, then back to his drink. He sits, contemplating whether or not he could gather any useful information on this newcomer or his homeland. Maybe the universities have some record of this "Furyondy." Perhaps it's a code used by bandits. Or worse.

Thinking about the university reminds him, "ur'Sancerre," he says, "Benn and I had been discussing the local church of Ezra. Would you happen to know anyone of stature in their community?"
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Denys replies-

''Well yes, I do. I get on rather well with Toret Van Haute. He's the top man in the Church in this part of the city. ''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

The archivist's eyes flash at this. "You don't say," he says with a smile. "Brother Dorgio and I were just discussing how useful it would be if we could gain access to some of the church's archives. I will admit that my knowledge of the vulnerabilities of the creature Renault are somewhat limited. If we want to ensure that he no longer menaces your daughter, it may make quite a bit of sense to see if the Ezrans have any holy texts which deal with the subject."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Denys becomes visibly disturbed at the mention of Pierre Renault.

''Ah, yes...of course, I'll speak with the Toret tomorrow, if he's available.''

Evangeline, for her part, seems to be unafraid- perhaps she simply didn't hear Benn. Charlotte has approached the table and is leaning over, whispering into her mistress' ear. Evie must think whatever the servant girl has just told her is very funny, judging by her barely supressed giggling.

Charlotte straightens up and tosses her head to move a loose strand of dark hair that's fallen across her face. She smiles at Benn, holding her eyes on him until he returns her gaze, then turns and leaves the room without saying a thing. Her walk has just a little bit of extra sway in it, enough to be noticed but not enough to be actually indecorous.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dorgio smiles. "We would be very grateful, ur'Sancerre. Our thanks."

Sorry, my dwarf friend, he thinks to himself. Perhaps they can find a church of the Lawgiver to satiate Norzak's lust for larceny. Hmm, or perhaps the Eternal Order.

With that thought, his eyes flick sadly over to Evie. Poor girl doesn't know what she's gotten herself into. Who knows what thanatophilia goes on with "knights" like Cirdan and his ilk?
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict arches an eyebrow at the retreating Charlotte, but quickly tries to wipe the expression away. He downs the last of his glass of wine, setting it down on a nearby table. "If you'll excuse me, Herr Sancerre, I think I'm going to go get some air."

He turns, following Charlotte out of the room, trying not to look like he's rushing.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

in the hall, with Charlotte
Benn finds Charlotte waiting for him out in the hall. The young woman has a positively wicked grin on her face.
''Benn, I've noticed you watching me. I'm not a silly little girl, you know.''

at the dinner table, with Denys and the others

Evangeline speaks up-

''Father, have you forgotten?''

Denys coughs into his hankerchief , then says-

''No, of course not. Hummmmm, where's Benn run off to? No matter, he can get his when he comes back.''

Denys waves at one of the servants, who leaves the room. A moment later, the servant returns , carrying a sack that looks half full. He sets it down before Denys.

''Norzak and Dorgio, I have for you some tokens of my gratitude for your part in rescuing my daughter from those villains. I've not forgotten Benn or Sir Cirdan, so don't worry! Here, Evie, you may hand them out.''

Evie fairly leaps up out of her seat and moves quickly to the sack. She reaches inside and retrieves a pair of packages wrapped in dyed cloth. She hand one to Dorgio and one to Norzak.

''Now, open them one at a time, please. It's more fun that way!''

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

ewancummins wrote:in the hall, with Charlotte
Benn finds Charlotte waiting for him out in the hall. The young woman has a positively wicked grin on her face.
''Benn, I've noticed you watching me. I'm not a silly little girl, you know.''

"I would not mean to imply that you are, Fraulein." He flashes his own wicked smile. "If I've been reticent in that regard, I apologize. I confess to having difficulty finding words when I'm around you, which is a minor miracle in and of itself."

He turns, hearing Denys asking for him in the dining hall. "Hmm, Herr Sancerre seems to be looking for me." He hesitates a moment, weighing his options, before turning back to Charlotte. "Perhaps we could retire someplace private, to continue our discussion free of interruptions?"
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Norzak accepts his package. "Thanks, bub. By tha way, ye be a piece of awright yeself, helpn' out Anja 'n' her parents. Don' sell yerself short there. 'N' Ye helpes us get a lil business started so all's fair I say." he tells Denys. He wigles his fingers as if he is about to open a booby trapped chest. He methodically unwraps the package nad folds the paper neatly in front of him to look at the contents.
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dorgio is forced to suppress a look of surprise when the package is brought out. He is, to say the least, unused to kindness from those not of his homeland. And even amongst the Gundarakites, he sometimes felt as a man without a country. Yes, they came to him when advising, healings, or force was needed, but there was no hiding his blood to them.

Is he trying to buy me? Dorgio asks himself. If true, Denys certainly wouldn't be the first aristocrat to get the clergy in his pocket. Ha, you are kidding yourself! He could afford to buy more powerful priests than me.

With that, he smiles. "You are most gracious. Let me echo friend Norzak's sentiments. Köszönöm!"

With nimble, scarred fingers, he opens the package.
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Alain steps back to get a better view of what the gracious host has given to his future investgative companions for their help with his daughter's kidnapping.
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

"I would not mean to imply that you are, Fraulein." He flashes his own wicked smile. "If I've been reticent in that regard, I apologize. I confess to having difficulty finding words when I'm around you, which is a minor miracle in and of itself."

He turns, hearing Denys asking for him in the dining hall. "Hmm, Herr Sancerre seems to be looking for me." He hesitates a moment, weighing his options, before turning back to Charlotte. "Perhaps we could retire someplace private, to continue our discussion free of interruptions?"
''Let's go to my quarters. It's quiet there, and no one is likely to bother us.''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

in the dining room...

Norzak opens his package first. Inside it, wrapped in oilcloth, is a dagger about sixteen inches long from point to pommel. The blade is blued steel, the hilt is brass and polished hickory. The weapon isn't particularly ornate, but the weapon is obviously intended for real fighting, not show. It is superbly well balanced, sharp, and seems to be made of high quality materials. A small maker's mark can be seen near the hilt, a little cross inside a circle etched into the blade near the hilt.
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Dorgio opens his package next. Inside is a small box. The box is fashioned of copper, tin, and carved cherrywood. Inside the box there is intricate gearing, visible through a thin panel of cut rock crystal. A brass winding knob protrudes from one side. When wound up and started, the device plays music- a tune that is probably familiar to Dorgio, for it is an old piece of Gundarakite folk music.