Mists Over the Musarde, Interlude 1

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Once Norzak sees the reactions of the other guests, he looks at Evie "Lil missy, ye think ye could show me some dolls ye've got I kin perhaps purchase in town. Jes' ta gimme an idea fer what kind I might wanna git Anja? I'm done eatin' anyways. It'll just take a few minutes then we kin come back 'n' ye kin attend to tha guests, ok? Please?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Evangeline turns toward her father and asks-

''Something like what?''

Then, before he can manage a response, she blurts out-
'' Oh, the mirror, of course! There were some other things too.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Once Norzak sees the reactions of the other guests, he looks at Evie "Lil missy, ye think ye could show me some dolls ye've got I kin perhaps purchase in town. Jes' ta gimme an idea fer what kind I might wanna git Anja? I'm done eatin' anyways. It'll just take a few minutes then we kin come back 'n' ye kin attend to tha guests, ok? Please?"

''Oh, well, Father may I be excused?''

Denys, with a sigh of what might be relief, immediately answers- ''Yes, of course.''
Evie rises gracefully and moves towatrds the door.

''Come ,Norzak, I will show you some of my old dolls- they are from the time when I was only a little girl, you understand.''
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Norzak can see Denys is very uncomfortable right now so decides to act before Evie says anything more. He jumps down from his chair and moves to where Evie's is. Putting his hand gently but firmly on her elbow, he leans in to her "Lil Missy, I think I'd like a word with you in private, if ye don't mind. It won't take but a moment and ye kin come back, ok?" Norzak looks at Denys and nods, hoping the man understands what he's trying to accomplish.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Norzak can see Denys is very uncomfortable right now so decides to act before Evie says anything more. He jumps down from his chair and moves to where Evie's is. Putting his hand gently but firmly on her elbow, he leans in to her "Lil Missy, I think I'd like a word with you in private, if ye don't mind. It won't take but a moment and ye kin come back, ok?" Norzak looks at Denys and nods, hoping the man understands what he's trying to accomplish.

Denys looks across the table and meets Norzak's gaze.

Perhaps the dwarf is misinterpreting the look, but the man seems to be silently communicating- ''Yes, please do!''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Evangeline moves along, talking to Norzak as she goes. She drops her voice to a whisper as they reach the door.

''It's alright. I know what you want to tell me.''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Once the two have left the room, Evangeline tells Norzak,

''I understand completely, Norzak. Even I sometimes like to play with dolls. I won't tell the others. It can be our secret.''

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Norzak sighs "Lil missy. Ye don't really know alla them's peoples in there" He points back towards the dining room. "It ain't safe ta mention them things to strangers. Them things have ways of getting back to the wrong ears. I don' think ye want yer Da in trouble with the wrong types of people, do ye? Them items is best kept to yeself." He pauses then goes on "I knows ye prolly really want ta tell lossa people but it's better fer yer health 'n' Charlotte's n yer Da's if ye keep this here info to yeself, ye hear? Lookit what's happened lately? Be wise and relish in yer knowledge, but keep it to yerself, ok? I don't think tha elf would of liked ye ta blab that info to the whole table either. I likes ye kess' fine, yer a fine lady in making. Jess lerns ta know what to say and ta who, ok?" Norzak jumps up and kisses Evie's cheek. "So what do yer think? We kin go back or ye wanna say somethin?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Norzak sighs "Lil missy. Ye don't really know alla them's peoples in there" He points back towards the dining room. "It ain't safe ta mention them things to strangers. Them things have ways of getting back to the wrong ears. I don' think ye want yer Da in trouble with the wrong types of people, do ye? Them items is best kept to yeself." He pauses then goes on "I knows ye prolly really want ta tell lossa people but it's better fer yer health 'n' Charlotte's n yer Da's if ye keep this here info to yeself, ye hear? Lookit what's happened lately? Be wise and relish in yer knowledge, but keep it to yerself, ok? I don't think tha elf would of liked ye ta blab that info to the whole table either. I likes ye kess' fine, yer a fine lady in making. Jess lerns ta know what to say and ta who, ok?" Norzak jumps up and kisses Evie's cheek. "So what do yer think? We kin go back or ye wanna say somethin?"
Evangeline looks hurt for a moment, but quickly recovers her composure. She says,

''Oh.''

Then, after a quiet moment,

''Oh well, I suppose you are right, Norzak. ''

She turns to walk down the hall towards the stairs that lead up to her room. Looking over her shoulder, she asks-

''Well, you are coming to see the dolls, are you not?''

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Yeah I be comin'" Norzak sees she's a little put off and catches up to her. "Lissen" as they wealk up the stairs "I only telled ya that fer ye own good, ok? YE got's to know when to say things and when not to is all. Don't worry too much, ye're young yet. Ye learned a good one this evening, one you'll soon not forget, I think." He smiles at her and follows her to her room.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Meanwhile, in the dining room....

Denys speaks,

''' Ah yes, before I forget to tell you all- I'll be taking a trip out of town for a week or more. I'm heading downriver to Mortigny to conduct some business in person. ''

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Dorgio’s attention is drawn by Norzak’s and Evie’s conversation about Anja. It had not been easy, forcing himself to admit that the dwarf just might have the the little girl’s interest at heart. The cleric is certainly fond of Anja and her family—they are of Gundar, they are his kin, his blood tribe. One of them, at least. He feels a twinge of sadness at the lot her and her family shared, but it's no more than what was expected in this land. Life is hard, and a part of Dorgio wonders if it is wise to shield that fact from her. Then again, perhaps he’s jealous that a Richemuloise household has helped do more for the family than he could.

He shakes the thoughts from his head and tells himself to go easy on the wine.

The mention of an enchantment on the mirror piques his interest, and he leans forward, obviously interested. He thinks back, trying to remember if he’s encountered any legends or folktales about such thaumaturgies.

“Whatever the case, ur’Sancerre, I’d be glad to help look into the matter. The brotherhood gives me a, how is it said, long leash.” He smiles in a way he hopes seems friendly and gestures at the jar, offering Denys a swig.
Last edited by Brock Marsh Runoff on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

"I would be glad to help find information on this supposed magic mirror, if you would accept my limited skills of research into the matter."
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Ahem, very well." The archivist says, clearly as flustered as Denys at Evie's outburst. Dolt of a girl. No wonder they had such an easy time kidnapping her. "Well then, herr Sancerre, with your permission, I have made some progress looking into the matter. Perhaps you'd care to explain to the gentlemen what you knew about the artifacts before hiring me, to get them up to speed as it were." And perhaps let me know how much you're willing to trust these gentlemen with knowing.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Denys takes a tipple of palinka in his goblet, thanking dorgio as he does so.

After taking a drink of the liquer to sweeten his palate, he goes on to explain about the artifacts,

'' Yes, of course. Well, over a month ago my workers were slavaging some marble from an abandoned building not too far from here. They uncovered a hiding place inside the walls. Inside, they found three things- a key , a scroll, and a mirror.

Benn examined them, somewhat more recently. Benn, you can explain about the mirror and such, better than I can...'''