The Eye of Anubis: Book Seven

Online roleplaying at the Café
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Later that afternoon

"Erm.... uh.... you don't have to come.... er.... really." The historian in the bright green jacket said nervously. Devereux was even jumpier than usual as he walked through the Jackal's Ruse, picking his way amongst the wreckage. You couldn't really blame him.

Tomas only answers with a jaunty grin, perhaps being innocently oblivious to the Professor's subtle hinting.Or just ignoring it. You can never really tell with Tomas.

"It.... er..... might be dangerous." Professor Devereux ventured. Then he realized to whom he was speaking. "Er.... I'll be fine."

"Oh, it's no trouble, Professor!" Tomas grins, "All part of my job."

"Er........ right." Devereux gave up.

Ianthe had given fairly good directions to the location of the Great Beast, as she had called it. It laired under an outcropping of rock, and you saw the masses of undead before you arrived. Zombies milled around mindlessly, even as two.... things stood motionless above. They looked like giants, save that they were bloated and hideous, with veins and arteries in sharp relief.

"More giants." Tomas groans, letting some of his own fear show for once. "Wunderbar..."

Suddenly, a zombie flew through the air, thrown as if by great force from beneath the shadows of the rock. It was missing a head. Tomas takes a step in front of Devereux, shield in blocking position, sword halfway drawn before he has a chance to exhale...

Devereux gulped slighly, then looked with considerable trepidation at a patch of empty air, watching it for most of a minute before very carefully approaching the center of the undead horde. Strangely.... they didn't attack, at least not yet. Most of them seemed to lack even the basic motive force of the hunter-dead you'd been attacked by earlier.

Tomas keeps with Devereux, primarily interested in keeping his mentor from being eaten. Secondary concerns include...well, damn, isn't that enough?

Underneath the shadows, however, was something that did have motive force. Like a giant, somewhat, it was an ugly, mishapen thing, with oily grey skin and an inhuman head. And from its open rib-cage, a screaming soul. It was chewing on a zombie as the two emissaries entered, looking at them gravely. "Well... dinner is coming."

"Have I said what a great plan this is, sir?" Tomas asides, keeping his eyes focused on the grisly...thing in front of them.

"Er.... yes." Devereux said, but before he got farther he was interrupted. "It talks! How nice... Wait... Well... what brings a Champion here?"

Tomas looks at the Professor-he hasn't been called a Champion before, but that leaves... The great beast looked at Tomas for a long time, then at Devereux, then back at Tomas. "What brings you two to my door...?"

"Herr Professor wishes to speak with you." Tomas explains. "I am Tomas Eisenwald..." Dramatic pause! "...graduate student, and I am here to make sure Herr Professor gets back in one piece, ja?"

"A Champion..." The huge undead put down the zombie it had been munching on. "And how does Tomas Eisenwald" It paused. "Graduate student, expect to do this thing?"

"Er...." Devereux ventured a word. "SILENCE!"

"However he has to." Tomas rests his sword across his shoulders.
"I have no quarrel with you, mine herr, and the worst thing you are doing at the moment is eating things what are allready dead, so please do not take that as anything more than what it is."

"Oh but I want to take it for more than it is." The Devourer continued, standing up from its makeshift throne of bone and rock. "And here I have a Champion standing before me.... how delicious."

"I am being polite." Tomas's look flatens as he matches gazes with the abberation in front of him. "Out of respect for my teacher and mentor. He has something to say. You will listen. Then, if nessicary, we can..."

Tomas's lips part into what could be a smirk, were it not for the animal ferocity behind it. "...get our excercise, ja?"

"A Champion indeed... " The Devourer grinned hungrily. At some unheard order, the zombies and bloodhulks shambled closer, cutting off the exit.

"Er... may I...." "SILENCE!"

"Tell me.... Champion.... what do you hope to gain here?"

Tomas shrugs. "The Professor thinks it can help us survive whatever damn fool thing John Cavendish has planned for us. I trust the Professor." And better he not know who that is, just in case the thing jumps me..

"The Necromancer...? He is your foe?" The Devourer asked, it's tone of voice different. It sounded... scared.

"Yeah." Tomas pauses, blushing a little. "Well, the whole group's, really, but I like to think we have something special."

"Er...." "SILENCE, lest I rip your head off."

"Strange... and yet you still live..."
The Devourer wondered aloud.

"Yep! -I mean, last time that was all Diambiel," Tomas admitted, feeling strangely open in front of the Devourer, "But the first time was all us!"

"The Prophet? Odd companions you have."

Tomas shrugs. "Not so much a companion as, um, a hazard." Eisenwald keeps on his toes, despite the calming down. "Care to hear what Herr Professor has to say now?"

"I think.... not. No... I think I have found a more delectable soul. A Champion, in this day and age." The Devourer moved forward. "Sieze them."

"Sieze them?" Tomas looks a little delighted and a little embarrased. "Really? Well, okay-I want to know the name of the monster I'm about to embarras!"

"You talk a great deal for a Champion. Very strange. Kill the other one, he's no danger, but bring the Champion to me."

"-no!" Tomas slides back, looking over at Devereux, "If you have a secret suprise, prof, now is the time...!"

"Er.... yes.... um...." Professor Devereux fumbled around in his pockets. "Um.... keep them back for a second? Oh where did I put it...."

"Ja!" Tomas kicks forward, swinging his shield to smash into the face of a ghoulish being, shoving it into the waiting claws of a sun-dried zombie, and skewering both through their unliving necks! "Take your time!"

"Er, here it is!" Professor Devereux withdrew an old pocket-watch from his coat. "Er.... I think this is it."

"One second." Tomas calls, fending off a gnawing creature that was mostly a set of jaws, teeth, and bad attitude, before giving out a yell, leaping up on the gut of an impossibly fat ghoul, and smashing its skull in with a headbutt!

The Lamordian hops back off, trapping two zombies under the fat ghoul's sheer bulk, while slicing a hissing snake-spine in half before it can bite into Devereux! "Okay, go for it!"

"Er..... right." Professor Devereux took a deep breath, and began to swing the little pocket watch on its chain. "Er... we don't need to fight? Er.... do we? We can all be friends.... er.... and not fight.... It's not like we're enemies..... er..... we're not." The watch ticked along... left to right, side to side.

"We're friends..... um..... all friends. We don't need to fight each other..... er..... we want to fight Cavendish...... right?" Devereux's voice fell deeper, and there was an odd reverberation to it, something not often heard. "I mean..... if we just think about it..... er..... we take some time...... we'd know we want to fight.... um.....Cavendish and not each other."

Back and forth.... side to side....
"So.... um.... why not we all get along? Why not we attack.... um.... Cavendish.... not each other...... that's a good idea?"

The undead were standing stock still, and there was an odd, somewhat glazed look in the Devourer's eyes.

"Very commanding, sir." Tomas resists the urge to wimper like a little girl.

"Er.... tomorrow..... an hour from dawn..... you'll....er.... attack Cavendish.... er." Devereux murmurred. "And you'll..... er..... forget all about us....er.....after we leave..... and you won't attack any more people.....er......and you'll become a vegetarian...."

"Um...... let's get out of here?" The professor suggested.

"Vegetar..." Tomas blinks, shaking his head. "Good plan!" And he follows the Professor...again...
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Eye of Anubis: Book Seven

Post by NeoTiamat »

The Eye of the Jackal's Ruse, Sebua
July 16th, 761, 4:07 AM; Day 121 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image

PC Actions
Charles
Andre
Otto
Kuzan
Lia
Khalil
Tomas

There is a curious feeling when you join a battle that you are expecting. It's different from the adrenaline-fueled rush of the sudden engagement. It was a colder feeling, and an ever so slightly nauseating one. You were going to your deaths, in a strange way. It was a possibility. Your wisest course of action would be to run and not turn back. It was a madness, you supposed, a soldier's madness that you were still going through with this.

Of course, not everyone was equally filled with trepidation. You had never seen Jervis quite so alive. Normally the snarling, unpleasant mercenary kept to himself, and woe betide him who disturbed the sour-demeanored warrior. But now... he had spent much of the evening sharpening his sword with a grindstone, humming to himself. At the end, he had taken a chunk of wood, an old piece of wreckage, and stood it up atop a rock... and proceeded it to chop it in half with one smooth blow. Jervis had smiled a bit at that.

You really hoped he'd never smile at you that way.

Dieter and Ianthe had bonded remarkably well. One was a Lamordian runaway and skeptic, the other a Vechorite shipwreck-victim and monk, but they had certain qualities in common. Both were open, friendly people, both tended to accept things as they are, and both liked to shoot things with rifles. They spent some time comparing their muskets and trading firing tips.

Professor Devereux spent three hours staring at the moon. This was normal for Devereux.

===============================================

If you were forced to find a term for the base-camp Cavendish had established, it would have been 'Horridly simple.' It was crawling with undead. Desert zombies with dried-out skins and blank, staring eyes stood as sentries, even as great warriors in black armor strode about. Most were guarding the entrances to the camp, but others...

Two guarded a group of seven statues, of some sort. A giant, roiling cloud, a huge, half-skeletal bird, two dessicated zombies, a skeleton with intestines, and a distant, smooth-formed figure made up this strange troupe, all guarded under the watchful eyes of the black knights. They were made of the same stone as the floor of the Ruse. In fact, their feet merged with the stone of the Ruse. [Spellcraft DC 25]

Elsewhere, a corral of stone bars was constructed in the side of the rock-face. Inside, you saw a dozen or so humans, anemic-looking men and women in tattered and stained cassocks. They were mostly asleep... or perhaps dead, for all you could tell. The ground around the corral was splattered with dried blood, and you could see the dark red rivulets along the rock. Two more of the Black Knights guarded the prisoners, and one of the great cats, the size of a tiger, rested on the deck of a nearby ship.

Two of its cousins were by the fire, engaged in a cruel feline game. Though they were millions of years dead and reanimated by a necromancer, there was something that remained. They had caught some kind of huge desert-rodent, a guinea-pig like animal the size of a large rabbit. It was bleeding from a dozen little cuts, and the two Smilers took turns scaring it into each other's reach, each time delivering another small nick. Cat and mouse indeed.

There was the great pit, an area cleared away from sand and dirt, and bored out of the living rock. Its sides were smooth, but even as you gazed into it you saw the distortion, like heat-waves or something. All of you saw this thing... what Devereux saw, you didn't feel like asking again. Two concentric circles and several circles of runes surrounded it, pulsating with a vibrant, poisonous green light. You had seen prison cells that looked more inviting.

And there, in the center of this all, was John Lancaster Cavendish. The murderer of Allikhain. The butcher of Ravnika. The false Angra Mainyu. The Necromancer. He had resurrected Neci and her kindred to a deathless, pain-filled existence. He had led to your being chased out of Phiraz. His agents had eviscerated Ulsaon. He played games with the lives of children. He was currently reading a broadsheet.

Cavendish was reclining in a rather bright, colorful hammock strung between two posts scavenged from a nearby shipwreck. Where exactly Cavendish had acquired a hammock best described as psychedelic you weren't certain of. On the end post Cavendish had hung up his undertaker's coat and hat, and the grey-skinned humanoid was wearing an off-white, starched shirt and his usual black pants and loafers. He was also wearing suspenders.

He was also wearing his smoked lenses, despite it being night-time, as he turned another page, shaking his head disapprovingly, the oily, dark locks moving slightly. Beside the hammock was a huge Smiler, larger even than the others, its tail lashing from time to time. Between its paws was a large black physician's bag.

Cavendish turned another page. He appeared to be reading the opera openings in Port-a-Lucine.

NPC Actions:
Dieter
Ianthe
Devereux
Jervis
Ishaq

Smiler 1
Smiler 2
Smiler 3
Smiler 4

Black Knight 1
Black Knight 2
Black Knight 3
Black Knight 4
Black Knight 5
Black Knight 6
Black Knight 7
Black Knight 8

Zombies

Devourer

Blood Hulk 1
Blood Hulk 2
Blood Hulk 3

Zombies

Cavendish

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expedition Overview:
Kuzan:
Tomas:
Otto:
Charles:
Lia:
Khalil:
Andre:

Ishaq:
Jervis:
Ianthe:
Dieter:
Devereux:

Smiler 1
Smiler 2
Smiler 3
Smiler 4

Black Knight 1
Black Knight 2
Black Knight 3
Black Knight 4
Black Knight 5
Black Knight 6
Black Knight 7
Black Knight 8

Zombies

Devourer

Blood Hulk 1
Blood Hulk 2
Blood Hulk 3

Zombies

Cavendish

Key! Going from the top, roughly:
Lower K - Kuzan
T - Tomas
O - Otto
C = Charles
L = Lia
Upper K = Khalil
A = Andre
Red I = Ishaq
J = Jervis
Green I = Ianthe
D = Dieter

S = Smiler
BK = Black Knight
Blue Dot = Cavendish Zombies

D = Devourer
BG = Blood Giant
Z = Devourer Zombies

Portrait = Cavendish
Last edited by NeoTiamat on Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

A few minutes before the group splits up and moves to its assigned positions, Lia casts two spells on herself: 'Vita corpi phantasma est. Iussu meus et ex semita obscura, illusionem firmate. Vita adulterina. Neque vis, neque infortunium me tangete. Lorica magi me vela.' Shadows crawl all over the Wizard's body, then are dispersed by a brief shimmer of force that surrounds her from head to toe.

"Before we part," she says to the gathered group as she raises her hands, "a small present. Facultam volati nos dono.'" A cold feeling sweeps through the air, and a breeze with a faint hint of licquorice encircles some of the warriors. An eerie sense of buoyancy fills the members of the Expedition now ensorcelled. "Now you can fly. For a brief time," the Wizard announces before moving on to her assigned position. "Good luck to all of us."

Gazing out over the battlefield from the position assigned to her, Lia quietly touches her two companions on the shoulder and whispers: "This will be ... challenging. Watch the vampire closest to us, he will be a problem."

Turning back to the battlefield, Lia mutters a quiet 'Hoplon', laying another shimmer of force about herself. This shimmer remains visible as a distortion of the air, an oval the size of a greatshield. She glances at the statues (Spellcraft 22) and shakes her head before turning her attention to the nightmare pit. "Perhaps he used Stone Shape to encase his captives in stone?" she muses.

"Let us begin," she quietly says to Andre as she extends a hand towards the battlefield. 'Sphaeram ignis expandens e manu evolat. Evigile, anulu ignis contemplativi.' Lia's ring briefly blazes like a hot coal -- and a tiny fireball goes streaking from her hand. It impacts with a large group of zombies to the south and erupts into roaring flame. Lia's ring continues to glow, and she turns an odd look to Andre and Devereux. Behind the mask, her eyes shine with a steady red glow. "Now we are in battle," the Wizard says, and there is a vague hint of satisfaction in her voice ...

(Extended Mage Armor, extended False Life for 13 bonus hp. Mass Fly in effect for the next nine minutes on Andre, Devereux, Lia, Ishaq, Khalil, Jervis, Thomas, Charles and Otto. Shield active for the next nine minutes. Fireball launched at upper-right corner of AG37 for 46 damage.)
Last edited by Rock of the Fraternity on Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

As they prepare, Khali eyes Jervis preparations with a certain respect, at least the mercenary was gogin to be effective. The desert guide whistles sharply to get his attention and throws a small vial over to him. "To assist you in vampire-slaying" he says simply with a grin.

Crouching behind the ship, Khalil mutters softly to himself, his face grimly impassive as he contemplates the rather nasty task ahead of them. "We need to destroy the smiler above us, Im much happier taking on the vampires without too many of thse runnign around, whos coming with me?"

Lookign at the others he awaits for the opportune moment.

[OOC: silversheening one scimitar before it all kicks off, thereby giving Khalil two magic silvered blades

Oh and he's talkign abotu the smiler on the boat next to them]
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Drawing on Otto's thin, flexible gloves, Charles takes a set of thin metal rods from his jacket pocket and flips through them rapidly. "Oh, quite right," he says, half-smiling. "Here you go, then." Drawing his pistols and handing them over, he says, "Silver shot for both, so choose your target accordingly. Enjoy playing with the cannon, eh?"

Tipping the Lamordian a wink, he goes in search of Kuzan, who has promised a special prayer to prevent the undead from seeing him. Wonderful stuff, really; it's almost enough to get him to consider the priest's repeated offer of lessons in meditation and contacting the Divine. But he's got enough on his plate already, really. Can't put too many irons in the fire or some of them will melt!

But is that really an apt metaphor?

Recognizing this as his customary pre-battle scrambling of thought, Charles exerts himself to set it aside and nods to the priest. "Ready, padre."

Having received the benediction, he mutters, "Ablepsosin," and disappears.

So, Charles is working with a base +17 for Disable Device, he'll use the gloves for a +5 each round, so he's at +22 for his attempts. He's now got Mass Fly, Mass Conviction, Protection from Evil, Hide from Undead and Invisibility goin' on.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

"Everyone, please gather around me," Kuzan said softly as the party finished its preparations for combat.

Varuna

From his magic bag, the priest drew out a long loop string of nondescript brown beads carved from a darkly-stained wood and polished to a smooth shine. He clutched the prayer beads in one hand and wrapped his forefinger and thumb around the first on the string, then began reciting phrases in the Sri Rajian language.

"Om ketave namah, Om sthulashirase namah, Om shiromatraya namah, Om dhvajakritaye namah, Om navagrahayutaya namah, Om simhikasurigarbhasambhavaya namah..."

His golden eyes glazed over as the priest seemed to enter a euphoria brought on by whatever power -- presumably Lord Varuna -- that he channeled. He swayed slightly, his fingers moving across the prayer beads as he spoke each Om.

"Aum mahabhitikaraya namah, Aum citravarnaya namah, Aum shripingalakshakaya namah, Aum phulladhumrasamkashaya namah, Aum tikshnadamshtraya namah, Aum mahodaraya namah, Aum raktanetraya namah..."

Energy rippled from the priest, a force that was not seen, but rather felt. A bolstering power that carried a familiar sensation for the Expedition members, and yet seemed greater at the same time. The force possessed a magnificence, an authority unlike anything natural to this world.

"Aum citrakarine namah, Aum tivrakopaya namah, Aum mahasuraya namah, Aum krurakanthaya namah, Aum krodhanidhaye namah, Aum chayagrahavishoshakaya namah, Aum antyagrahaya namah, Aum mahashirshaya namah..."

Prayer beads in hand, Kuzan's arms began to move in arcs around his body, so fluidly as to make one wonder if he moved on his own or with some divine force. Fingers bent and straightened, creating odd gestures and signs. His eyes closed halfway as he continued his mantra. He allowed the trance to consume him and the power swept him away.

"Aum suryaraye namah, Aum pushpavadgrahine namah, Aum varahastaya namah, Aum gadapanaye namah, Aum citravastradharaya namah, Aum citradhvajapatakaya namah, Aum ghoraya namah, Aum citrarathaya namah, Aum shikhine namah, Aum kulutthabhakshakaya namah, Aum vaiduryabharanaya namah, Aum utpatajanakaya namah..."

The first wave of strength washed over the party. A bolstering power, starting from Kuzan and sweeping outward over the small gathering. The men and women around the priest felt their vitality and resolve boosted, their bodies healthier and more resilient, and their minds lightened. Their wills felt steeled by the divine might supporting their every move.

"Aum shukramitraya namah, Aum mandasakhaya namah, Aum gadadharaya namah, Aum nakapataye namah, Aum antarvedishvaraya namah, Aum jaiminigotrajaya namah, Aum citraguptatmane namah, Aum dakshinamukhaya namah, Aum mukundavarapatraya namah..."

The priest's arms continued through the air in their wide arcs. He seemed to move almost in slow motion and many expedition members thought they saw multiple phantom arms trailing Kuzan's real arms along the same arcs. A trick of the moonlight, perhaps. Or an illusion created by the priest.

"Aum mahasurakulodbhavaya namah, Aum ghanavarnaya namah, Aum lambadevaya namah, Aum mrityuputraya namah, Aum utpatarupadharine namah, Aum adrishyaya namah, Aum kalagnisamnibhaya namah, Aum nripidaya namah, Aum grihakarine namah, Aum sarvopadravakarakaya namah, Aum citraprasutaya namah, Aum analaya namah, Aum sarvavyadhivinashakaya namah..."

Kuzan turned toward Charles. His half-open golden eyes had a faint, sea-bluish gleam. He shook the beads at the mathematician, and the phantom arms each shook in turn. A surge of warmth filled Charles, a comforting reassurance that evil could not touch him. Then, the blond mathematician felt a sensation of quietude, of smallness, that certain dark forces could and would easily overlook him. Kuzan must have been satisfied with this, because he turned away from Charles in one smooth, fluid movement.

"Aum apasavyapracarine namah, Aum navame papadayakaya namah, Aum pancame shokadaya namah, Aum uparagakhecaraya namah, Aum atipurushakarmane namah, Aum turiye sukhapradaya namah, Aum tritiye vairadaya namah, Aum papagrahaya namah, Aum sphotakakarakaya namah, Aum prananathaya namah, Aum pancame shrimakarakaya namah, Aum dvitiye asphutavagdatre namah, Aum vishakulitavaktakaya namah, Aum kamarupine namah..."

The many-armed priest turned next toward Khalil, shaking the beads again. The desert guide felt the same warmth as Charles, the same comforting, protective sensation. It was as a warm, pleasant wave washed over him, wrapping him in its pleasant waters.

"Aum simhadantaya namah, Aum kushedhmapriyaya namah, Aum caturthe matrinashaya namah, Aum navame pitrenashakaya namah, Aum antye vairapradaya namah, Aum sutanandannidhanakaya namah, Aum sarpakshijataya namah, Aum anangaya namah, Aum karmarashyudbhavaya namah, Aum upante kirtidaya namah. Aum saptame kalahapradaya namah, Aum ashtame vyadhikartre namah..."

He turned inward again and clasped both hands in prayer for a moment. The phantom arms created a formation around him, an elaborate design that looked like an odd, divine halo. A wave rippled out, ruffling his clothing as if he stood in a wind, and the party felt their fears soothed and their minds calmed.

"Aum dhane bahusukhapradaya namah, Aum janane rogadaya namah, Aum urdhvamurdhajaya namah, Aum grahanayakaya namah, Aum papadrishtaye namah, Aum khecaraya namah, Aum shambhavaya namah, Aum asheshapujitaya namah, Aum shashvataya namah, Aum nataya namah, Aum shubhashubhaphalapradaya namah, Aum dhumraya namah, Aum sudhapayine namah, Aum ajitaya namah, Aum bhaktavatsalaya namah, Aum simhasanaya namah, Aum ketumurtaye namah, Aum ravindudyutinashakaya namah..."

He swung his arms outward, raising both hands above his head, and then brought both arms slowly down in another wide arc. The phantom hands both followed, and the party felt as though their eyes sharpened. Objects and creatures in the distance seemed clearer, simpler to pick out of their surroundings. It was as if you could shoot and hit them with greater ease.

"Aum amaraya namah, Aum pidakaya namah, Aum amartyaya namah, Aum vishnudrishtaya namah, Aum asureshvaraya namah, Aum bhaktarakshaya namah, Aum vaicitryakapatasyandanaya namah, Aum vicitraphaladayine namah, Aum bhaktabhishtaphalapradaya namah..."

As Kuzan neared the end of his prayer bead string, he brought his hands before his chest again, clasping them once more. The phantom arms followed suit, then merged with his real arms and vanished as if they were never there. Those closest to the priest felt a stronger reassurance, something in their mind guiding them, telling them that evil would bring them no harm.

Finally, the ritual completed, the priest slowly opened his eyes. He exhaled a slow breath as if relieved to be finished and smiled faintly.

"That should help us all," he said, "Gods be with us in this battle."

------

At the battlefield, Kuzan quickly pronounced a blessing on the gathered cannonballs, then turned to his three companions.

"If things get rough, stay near me so I can get us out. It's safer near me than away, so be ready at a moment's notice."

And, as he'd discussed with Dieter and Otto the night before, he began getting the cannon loaded and ready.

Okay, folks, here's what's going on.

Party-wide

Mass Aid -- +1 morale to attack rolls and saves vs. fear, 12 temporary hp.

Blessed Aim -- +2 morale to all ranged attack rolls.

On Charles

Hide from Undead -- Undead must make a will save DC 16 or they do not notice Charles

Protection from Evil -- +2 to AC and saves against evil, blocks domination effects.

On Khalil

Protection from Evil -- see above

Local Effects (If you are near Kuzan you may gain benefits)

Magic Circle against Evil -- As protection from evil, as long as you are within 10 feet.

Cloak of Bravery -- +9 morale bonus to saves vs. fear as long as you are within 60 feet.

Personal on Kuzan

Death Ward -- Blocks a lot of nasty draining effects and such.

On the cannonballs

Undead Bane Weapon -- +2 on attack and damage rolls vs. undead, +2d6 damage vs. undead.

Rajian text is the 108 names of Ketu, the Lunar Eclipse. Since Varuna is a god of night and I couldn't find his 108 names, I figured this would suffice.

And spending my first action of the combat taking a full round to load. I'll let Otto or Dieter make the attack roll since you guys actually have the necessary skills.
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:Drawing on Otto's thin, flexible gloves, Charles takes a set of thin metal rods from his jacket pocket and flips through them rapidly. "Oh, quite right," he says, half-smiling. "Here you go, then." Drawing his pistols and handing them over, he says, "Silver shot for both, so choose your target accordingly. Enjoy playing with the cannon, eh?"
"I thank you, sir." Otto accepted the guns respectfully, giving them a point-by-point checkover before placing them in his belt. No issues, which wasn' really much of a surprise--Charles knows how to take care of his weapons. He inclined his head at the graduate student, returning the wink with a wry smile. "And, while it is not my habitual Sunday's relaxing to discharge artillery at animated-dead...I shall certainly make the best of it, yes? Good hunting to you."

The gunsmith turned on his heel, and--well, shot like an arrow straight towards the top deck of the Vaasi ship, face taking on Barkskin's telltale tanner shade in the process. After all, it's not every day that one is under the effects of Fly just before working with heavy explosives...it would've been just so inefficient to walk.

-------

Otto surveyed the field from his team's vantage point aboardship. Gads...abominations against nature as far as the eye can see. More targets for us, I guess...just hope we can keep them at range.

His gaze dropped to the artillery piece beside him--a slightly more dubious gaze. Not that the equipment's going to make things any easier. Leaving aside the fact that the barrel hasn't seen a good cleaning in who knows how long...well, you know what they say about Vaasi cannonwork. One minute the things fire as straight and true as anyone could ask for, and the next...you'd better hope you're not wearing anything flammable. His thoughts drifted to the several tons of gunpowder sitting complacently on the deck, further down the ship. Makes you feel so much better about our exit strategy, doesn't it?

Then again, the only reason you know *anything* about Vaasi munitions is because old Lucius was in the Darkonian Royal Navy ten years back, and because you decided it was a good idea to grill him on the basics of artillerymanship. I believe the justification for that move was "just in case I'm ever on a seagoing business jaunt, and am attacked by pirates."

Yeah. There's a broad knowledge base if I ever heard of one.

Well, you know what they say...If the materials are shoddy, then it comes down to salesmanship. Time to buck up, pretend you know what you're doing...and hope to the Fates that everything works out.

Otto nodded sternly at his team, speaking in hushed tones.

"Are we assembled? Good. Now: The loading and firing of cannon is a delicate process, necessary of a high degree of precision among those involved. As such, we divide into roles, and maintain a constant rotation as long as we maintain this position."

"Kuzan." He pointed at the priest. "Loader. At my command, you are procuring a charge of gunpowder, which you empty to the barrel."

"Ianthe." With a foot, he levered up a discarded ramrod and tossed it to the monk. "In charge of this--tamp the charge to the back of the barrel, after which Kuzan" --another nod at the Rajian-- "selects a shot, and places it in after the charge. As this is happening..."

"Dieter." He tossed the mercenary a tightly wound package of several-inch strings, which (for some reason) he had apparently had on him for the past several months. "Fuser. You are to open the air vent and extend the fuse so that it meets the gunpowder in the charge, at which point--"

"I--" A gesture toward himself. "Aimer. Swivel the cannon to the proper bearing. At my command to fire, Dieter--" (points) "lights the fuse, our shot is propelled, Ianthe--" (points) "--uses the sponged end of the rod to clean any smoldering debris from the barrel, Kuzan--" (points) "--begins to load again...and the four of us are hoping for the best."

"Understood?" He turns towards the field. "Our first target: Heading straight from our position, central walking-dead in the group of six, canister-shot. We aim for a spread that includes the target ten feet to his west, the target just to his northwest, and the black-knight to his north."

"On my mark, and...Begin."

OOC: Barkskin's up, and aiming at the zombie at AJ36, to get secondary fire on the guys at AI35, AJ34, and AG36. 22 to fire, successful aim, and 44 damage.
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Before the Battle

Andre had spent his time wisely. Bullets for those of a gunplay bent properly blessed to strike hard against the undead. If they ran through more than 50 count of them, things had gone desperately wrong. And a prayer to his patroness, most likely disconcerting to a few in the group, but the feeling of reassurance it mystically brought probably wasn't.

His final prayer was more personal, a rush of necrotic energy running through him. Not as potent as a Shroud, but certainly enough to confuse the senses of lesser undead.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we have lost two of our number to Cavendish. Let us endeavor to not make him three for three." Andre said, looking out over the assembled. Friends..coworkers...and individuals who despite misgivings occasionally, he had in fact, trusted with his life on more than one occasion.

It was either sad or glorious that at this moment, he trusted no group of people more.

As conflict begins
"Time to see what I can see" He muttered softly to himself, calling upon the reserve of Fey power that now flowed through his blood, starting to fade like a cat in a phantasmagoric children's tale, till naught was left of the scholar's presence but footprints in the sand, and even those were rendered meaningless as he magically took to the air.

OOC:Ok, Mass Conviction on everyone. Undead Bane Weapon on 50 bullets. Hide from Undead on self, Then Greater Invisibility on Self, moving to C13, and spending 3 charges from the Amulet of Tears.
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Eye of Anubis: Book Seven

Post by NeoTiamat »

The Eye of the Jackal's Ruse, Sebua
July 16th, 761, 4:07 AM; Day 121 of the Menetnashte Expedition

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image

PC Actions
Charles waits
Andre casts Greater Invisibility and moves over.
Otto fires the cannon, wipes out two more zombies and wings one of the Black Knights.
Kuzan helps load the cannon.
Lia Fireballs, kills six zombies, wounds one zombie and two Black Knights for 23 damage.
Khalil waits
Tomas

As usual, I will not be describing every single action. Just whatever is particularly dramatic or note-worthy.

Professor Devereux did not disappoint.

Well, to be precise about it, Professor Devereux was hugging the side of the ship and hoping against hope that no one tried to eviscerate him. But his earlier efforts most emphatically did not disappoint. The Devourer and his monstrosities charged through the gap like screaming demons, a wave of undead flesh that rolled over the first few ranks of Cavendish's undead host.

Leading the way were three... things. Huge giants with bloated, blood-veined skin, they tottered along like swollen toys. But each fist crushed a zombie easily, and the undead scrabbled at their sides like ants trying to overwhelm a mountain. Behind this vangaurd strode the Devourer, raising its spindly hands with instinctual spells, striving to wrest control of the undead zombies from Cavendish.

The two Black Knights grinned with fanged maws at the prospect of carnage. They were... strangely dressed, not like Corelander knights but in the unique armor of the Pharazian Sipahi. How had these sorry men become Cavendish's slaves, you weren't sure. But they could fight. One took a hefty battle-axe in his hands and carved a huge chunk out of the nearest blood-giant's leg, while the other drew a slightly-curved sword and steel short-sword and moved forward in a hurricane of steel. To little avail, as the Blood-Giant took their blows and returned them, and as the nearby zombies stopped in their paces and joined the ranks of the Devourer's army. There are certain odds against which no one can win.

Of course, it helped when a huge, screeching skeletal-cat launched itself at the same blood-giant, landing atop its broad shoulders and tearing into the beast. Massive, stone-hard claws ripped into the giant's back, and those vicious, sabre-length teeth ripped the giant's head off bodily. Decapitated, the creature collapsed in a great pool of blood and gore, even as the now-red feline jumped nimbly off.

That battle's consequences were still very much up in the air.

Fire, fire and metal engulfed the other group of undead, a conflagaration of heat and destruction. Tiny beads of iron shot lacerated zombies into small chunks, and the two Black Knights raised their hands to shield themselves from the sudden glare.

And as it faded, and the darkness of the night re-asserted itself, Otto was confronted with the rather unfortunate sight of the two undead transforming. Their backs arched as they fell to the ground onto all fours, the armor and weapons receding as thick black fur covered their limbs. Fanged maws turned to muzzles, and with a howl, the two black wolves rushed for the cannon-ship.

Lia's own jubilation at having leveled a half-dozen zombies with a single spell were also cut short rather abruptly. Lia was certainly fond of bats, as witnessed by the rather charming little Grimmric. However, when the two nearest Black Knights flung out their arms, membranes stretching out below, even the greatest enthusiast's fondness would be shaken. A small chiropteran familiar is one thing.

Two bats the size of cart-horses heading right at Lia was something quite different.

Johnathan Lancaster Cavendish was just clucking at the reviews of the Port-a-Lucine opera's latest artistic sensation, Hugues Maigney, (Abstract Metal Art indeed) when two explosions rippled through the ruse and, among other things, knocking over his lemonade.

"More undead attacks?" The Necromancer gave a certain exasperated sigh, reaching for the broken quarter-staff under his hammock. "I am certainly going to complain to the management. This vacation has not been at all as advertised. Nevidemym Stanovlus"

Cavendish disappeared.

[Spellcraft DC 17]

NPC Actions:
Dieter: Helps load the cannon
Ianthe: Helps load the cannon
Devereux cowers.
Jervis waits.
Ishaq waits.

Devourer takes control of 5 Zombies.

Blood Hulk 1 bashes a zombie for 23 damage.
Blood Hulk 2 bashes a zombie for 23 damage.
Blood Hulk 3 bashes a zombie for 23 damage.

Zombies flail about

Smiler 1: Remains at its post.
Smiler 2: Remains at its post.
Smiler 3: Pounces on a Zombie. Hits twice, deals 32 damage. Rakes for 11 Damage, kills it.
Smiler 4: Pounces on Blood-Hulk Three, hits all three times, deals 44 damage, Rakes for 18 damage, and 13 from Fragility. Kills it.

Black Knight 1 (Swords): Changes into a dark wolf and heads south.
Black Knight 2 (Claws): Changes into a dark wolf and heads south.
Black Knight 3 (Swords): hits the Blood Giant Three five times, Rends, deals 65 damage, plus 17 from Fragility.
Black Knight 4 (Axe): Power-Attacks the Blood Giant three, hits, deals 41 damage, plus 6 from fragility.
Black Knight 5 (Claws): Remains on Duty by the Monks
Black Knight 6 (Axe): Remains on Duty by the Monks
Black Knight 7 (Claws): Turns into a Dire Bat and moves to Lia.
Black Knight 8 (Axe): Turns into a Dire Bat and moves to Lia.

Zombies flail about.

Cavendish disappears.

All PCs/NPC Overview: Mass Conviction (+3 Saves), Mass Aid (+1 to Attacks, Fear, +12 Temp HP), Blessed Aim (+2 to Ranged Attack Rolls), Undead Bane Bullets (+2d6 damage, +2 to attack)
Kuzan: +12 Temp HP, Magic Circle (+2 to AC and Saves), Cloak of Bravery (+9 vs. Fear), Death Ward
Tomas: Mass Fly, +12 Temp HP
Otto: Mass Fly, +12 Temp HP,
Charles: Mass Fly, Protection from Evil (+2 to AC and Saves), Hide from Undead (DC 16), Invisibility, +12 Temp HP
Lia: Mage Armor (+4 AC), False Life (+13 Temp HP), Shield (+4 AC), Mass Fly, +12 Temp HP
Khalil: Mass Fly, Silversheen, Protection from Evil (+2 to AC and Saves), +12 Temp HP
Andre: Mass Fly, +24 Temp HP, Greater Invisibility, Hide from Undead (DC 16)

Ishaq: Mass Fly, +12 Temp HP
Jervis: Mass Fly, Silversheen, +12 Temp HP
Ianthe: +12 Temp HP,
Dieter: +12 Temp HP,
Devereux: Mass Fly, +12 Temp HP

Devourer

Blood Hulk 1
Blood Hulk 2
Blood Hulk 3: -186 HP

Zombies

Smiler 1
Smiler 2
Smiler 3
Smiler 4

Black Knight 1: -45
Black Knight 2: -23
Black Knight 3
Black Knight 4
Black Knight 5
Black Knight 6
Black Knight 7
Black Knight 8

Zombies
1 Dot Zombie: -23 HP
Reddish Zombies: Controlled by the Devourer

Cavendish: Invisibility

Key! Going from the top, roughly:
Lower K - Kuzan
T - Tomas
O - Otto
C = Charles
L = Lia
Upper K = Khalil
A = Andre
Red I = Ishaq
J = Jervis
Green I = Ianthe
D = Dieter

S = Smiler
BK = Black Knight
Blue Dot = Cavendish Zombies

D = Devourer
BG = Blood Giant
Z = Devourer Zombies

Portrait = Cavendish
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Kuzan dutifully grabbed another shot instantly after the first fired, loading it in as instructed and waiting for his next opportunity to take action.

Crappy short post, but it's late, I'm tired and I want to make sure I get this out so I don't miss it tomorrow.

Let's try to bring down some black knights. Both if possible!

Also, melee, whenever you're ready to engage, please get in there. I know Cavvy's running around invisible now but this isn't really a fight we can afford to have people sitting out on. One of our ranged groups has already gotten engaged in melee, so for the love of everything, please don't wait for the ship to explode -- that was never the plan in the first place. Go, go, go.

The ship may or may not have to explode and if it doesn't, that means we're firing more cannon. If it does, well, then it does. But for now just get in there and make more chaos for Cavendish.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Right, that's cleared everyone out nicely, Charles thinks to himself as he rises over the side of the ship and observes the effects of the pyrotechnics which have already been deployed. Except...where's Cavendish?

A moment's thought reminds Charles that, like any evil magician worth his salt, Cavendish is undoubtedly capable of becoming invisible.

Hopefully, he will not want to be invisible anywhere where Charles also is being invisible. Even more to be hoped is that he has not provided himself with the means to see invisible things, because, wonderfully dramatic as it might be to have some kind of duello between the fire and the magic circle while the battle rages around them, it would probably be a very short duel, largely because Cavendish (as has already been established, alas!) cheats at dueling. Not that Charles can honestly claim to be above such a thing himself, but Cavendish is, on the available evidence, much better at it.

Perhaps it won't come up. One can always hope. In this situation, there's really not much else that can be done.

Hurtling forward (now, this is fine stuff, even better than the haste effect in its own way), Charles comes to rest--very gently, letting the spell support him so that he does not even make footprints in the sand--at the near edge of the magic circle and bends to examine it.

Double move to S31.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Lia watches the dire bats lift up from the sand and come flapping her way. As the creatures come closer, her breathing slows. The vile beings seem to become smaller, less significant as she forces her thoughts into a rigid pattern.

Breathe in. Breathe out. The closest bat is nearby, she can see its fangs. And she is unafraid. Lia Mourneswaithe spreads her arms to the empty sky and the approaching monster ... takes a step back, and speaks words of power. 'Sphaera ignis expandens e manu evolat.'

A tiny sphere of flame flies from Lia's hand as she flicks it forward, and erupts into fiery doom. An aura of ... something surrounds the Wizard as she unleashes her power. "Come," the Wizard says to the bat-formed undead writhing in her flames. "No need to hurl yourselves into the jaws of true death. I will carry you there."

(Casting defensively to negate AoO. 21 on a Concentration check to cast defensively. 5-ft. step back, Fireball at upper left corner of H6 to catch both vampires at the same time, but not hit any of the PCs involved. Using the last two charges on the ring for 12d6 damage, equaling 53 points of damage, DC 17 for half. Special note: the Fireball is aimed high enough so it does not incinerate the very ship I'm standing on, thanks. ;) Current AC = 20, but 21 to undead. Full HP for now. Spellcraft check on Cav's disappearing act: 30.)
Last edited by Rock of the Fraternity on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

[OOC: wasnt waiting for anything in particular, just couldnt get online last night to post]

"The time is right, Im going after that cat, perhaps one of you should come with me whilst the other two keep those vampires busy?" Khalil says with a snarl, as he leaps straight upwards in the air and ignoring the momentary oddness of being able to fly moves forward silenlty on the wind, coming to rest on the broken rigging of the ship a good few feet above the Smiler.

[OOC: move silently 23 Hide 22 to avoid being noticed moving to F45]

Ok can someone tell me the possibel consequences of dumping a molotov on the smiler as I cant get close enough to hit it this round? I.e whats the radius of damage (does it get any monks), and whats the possible effect on the ship if I do it? If its reasonable I'll do it and edit my post accordingly, if not then Khali will wait until next round]

Edit: safetly settled in the riging khalil lights the molotov cocktail, and tosses it overarm in the direction of the hopefully unsuspecting cat. This ahd the potential to go very badly wrong however the desert guide was sure getting these kitties out of the way was the key to this fight.

[OOC: chucking the said molotov at smiler targeting grid intersection of F/G 41/42; to hit - 17 damage if it makes it 13 (can I add favoured enemy binus to this? if so its another 4 dam to make total 17]
Last edited by lostboy on Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Tomas's eyes narrow....

Eisenwald finishes wrapping a cloth around his head, mimicking the preferred head wear of the local nomadic tribes as best as a white boy from Snowsylvania can. He's used his coat to cover up his shield, inverting the bulky material to make the enchanted aegis seem rounder and to cover up the device; the man following Charles is dressed thoroughly differently from the Tomas Eisenwald the collective forces of wickedness may remember. Why go to all this trouble?

Because Tomas, to his internal disgust, understands how Cavendish thinks. It's a little bit similar to how he thinks: the hero and the villain have already fought a few times, so this could go either way, and the advantage lies in who gets to dramatically reveal their presence to whom.

Plus, it keeps the sand out of his face. Eisenwald keeps to Charles's right, waiting for their fearless leader's call to arms.

(OOC: Following Charlie. If there's a problem with the dressing up, let me know, it just seemed dramatically appropriate. I mean, a chance to go, "Not so fast Cavendish! *rips his mask off!*" is not something I'm going to pass up.)
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

For all that his every action is precisely coordinated with those around him, it's rather hard to get a visual bead on Otto as he directs his team: he has the uncanny habit of using his newfound flight to zip from muzzle to fuse to midair to cannonballs, without actually bothering to walk the two-odd feet between those locations. The overall impression is of a man who somehow manages to be seven places at once.

He stalls out, however, upon seeing the knights transform.

What.

Blood-drinking dead. Targets. Supernatural abilities. No distractions.

If I didn't know better, I'd think they were making fun of me.

Task at hand. Task at hand. Not--

They're making fun of me. Are you going to let them get away with that?

They-- Look. They're trying to *kill* you. That's their *primary goal*, here--

You think I'm just going to lie down and take an insult to all wolvenkind? You think this doesn't hurt me? I'll have you know, I am as sensitive as f--

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AIM THE FATES-BE-DAMNED CANNON--

KABOOM

The cannonball shot decisively off into the desert air, fatally wounding a diabolical patch of sand.

I am going to smack you.

OOC: Undershot my Firing check by 1...curses. :evil: