The Resonance of Twilight (OOC and character discussion)

Online roleplaying at the Café
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Resonance of Twilight (OOC and character discussion)

Post by Desertrising »

Hello and well met!

The Resonance of Twilight is a Ravenloft campaign using the 3.5 rules set. However this campaign will have much more to do with NPC interaction, Role Playing, puzzle solving and mystery then with bashing monsters. Yes, there will be some combat, however, it should happen only rarely.

With that said a bit about the campaign itself.

The campaign begins in Mordentshire. There the party will eventually meet a strange crippled mystic who asks them to investigate a nearby country manor house.

Sorry that there is not much else to go on, I don't want to give away too much. DO be aware that the game will be extremely dark in nature, and I will work very hard to stay true to gothic style story elements. This means that at times the game will be difficult, and that sometimes the characters will find themselves in hard to overcome situations.

Please feel free to use this thread for discussion of character ideas and to ask any questions. I am looking for around three to five players and once I have them we will begin.
Vote Cthulhu! At least then we know we are going to get screwed.
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

A lot of forum goers don't check this board unless they have a game; feel free to advertise this on the main board as well. :)
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

Thank you very much for your advice I will do so.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I'm interested. One problem I had with the other games was that there was no order of getting input from players. I couldn't get to the computer multiple times a day, and that meant that sometimes key combat rounds had skipped me over.

If we can iron out this kink then I'd be up for a game. You said that there's little combat, which suits me dandy, and as long as I don't find that entire weeks of game time have gone by without me then I'm interested.
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

I am sure I can work with this. If necessary I am also willing to split a group so that those who post slower than others can still get a good game. In fact it could be quite interesting to have several threads interweaving at times while the entire story is told.

Well anyway I can iron things out and am always willing to listen to feedback. While I know I can never make everyone happy, I am not trying too. I am just trying to make the players in my game happy. So yeah, feel free to put a character together if you wish. For now I am more interested in seeing backgrounds than numbers, however if you wish you can use the High power point buy for generating ability scores.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Okay, nice! :)

What is the High Power point buy system? (Or just a sourcebook will do, I can find it there.)

What classes can we use? I haven't played a Rogue in a while, and I rather think they can be a lot of fun in a low-combat game.
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

The high power point buy system can be found in the Dungeon masters guide. If you don't have access to that let me know and I will put it up here (or a version of my own).

As far as race and class, I strongly prefer Human, Caliban and half Vistani from the Ravenloft players Handbook. However I am willing to consider demi humans if you truly have your heart set on playing one.

Also I am willing to allow any class from the Ravenloft players Handbook as well as any prestige class created in the third edition Ravenloft books. If you want to play class outside of these sources please let me know along with your reason for wanting to play it and I will consider it.

If you are interested in a rouge, that would be fine.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Okay, I have the DMG. I have most of the books ever released for 3.5 (a fact I'm not particularly proud of) but not all of them are at my new address. I have all the Ravenloft books as well if you need anything. :)
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

I sadly have almost every 3.5 book as well. I also have most of the second edition Ravenloft stuff, and all of the third so don't really have need of much.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I love the pages in the black box, they're awesome! Most RL stuff from 2nd edition was really nicely done ;)
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

I'd be happy to jump on board and lose my play-by-post virginity as it were. Tried it a few years ago. I tend to check these forums twice a day and am about to start a campaign in Mordent c. 577, so if my presense can be tolerated as a player and also as a researcher, i'd be happy to give it a whirl.

I'd also like to use my character from the Malodorous Goat Netbook, Professor Mortimer Wachter, but if that's a problem i can come up with something else. He was a 'bard' but more of an historian. In fact, expert may even be more fitting in 3.5. The book is on this site if you want to download it.
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

Both of those work for me. In fact a historian would be very useful to the party and a great way for us to introduce flavor and background.

So roll him up as an Expert but give him the bard knowledge ability. I think that should give you the kind of character you are looking for.
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

1st level, i presume? Any other restrictions/suggestions/needs?
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

Yes first level is correct. I don't have any particular suggestions, though I will reiterate I have a strong preference for Human, Caliban and Half Vistani characters.

Also as I plan to have this be a lot more focused on Role play versus combat I would like fairly detailed character backgrounds. I am not looking for epic writing, but I do want too see some thought went into it.

Other than that nothing I can think of. However if you have a question, do not hesitate to drop a line.
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

tarlyn wrote:I love the pages in the black box, they're awesome! Most RL stuff from 2nd edition was really nicely done ;)
I agree, I really like a lot of material for second ed, and I also loved the Kargatane netbooks as well. I Have to admit that I love Ravenloft more than any other campaign setting.