Ravenloft under nWoD

Discussing all things Ravenloft
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Ravenloft under nWoD

Post by DoctorMoreau »

I apologize if this topic has been done before, I attempted a search and I wasn't able to find anything in specific.

Let me first say, I'm a huge 4e fan and would love to help Jester anyway I can on a 4e conversion. But my players aren't as fond of it (not the group I'm wanting to run Ravenloft under) and I've decided to run it with the new World of Darkness rules.

Anyway, was just wondering what conversion work was already available for this, what people had done and what I could contribute to or use. I definitely plan on doing full builds of all the major darklords (Strahd, Azalin, Lucas, etc) between the existing monster books and "Second Sight" I shouldn't have any trouble with this.

One nice thing about nWoD, is I'll be able to make vampires/werewolves and such like that, rather unique and that should keep the party guessing. So it should be fun.

The new Hunter is great too....
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

I've been doing the same thing, too.

Converting Ravenloft to the nWoD system is a bit tricky, especially if you don't want to play non-monster creatures. I strongly suggest creating characters using the "Second Sight" accessory, but you have to frequently go back and forth the oWoD's Dark Ages material to really get the feel of it. try to replace "Computers" with "Enigmas," "Firearms" with something like "Explosives" and you're pretty much good to go.

Conversions:
The five clans would mean nothing in WoD RL, so I suggest that when converting Strahd you just pick up the disciplines which best fit him: my recommendations would be high dots in Majesty, Protean and Vigor.

Azalin's a bit tricky as well: since he's a lich, you can tweak the Tremere Liches legacy to suit him and his undead state, but also giving him mastery over a wide number of rotes preferably from the Mysterium and Adamantine Arrow.

I haven't read too much of Werewolf, though, since my players think it's too rugged and punk-y.
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

Yeah, I'd already figured out both of those things. I will actually be allowing my players to do supernatural creatures. Though it doesn't look like I will be dealing with any Vampires or Werewolves, which is easier.

It's note quite as typical of a Ravenloft game, as I've ran that before, it will sort of a have a "supernatural investigators" and "monsters fighting monsters theme" ala "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" or "Hellboy".

But I was hoping some people might have typed up some of their existing work so I could make use of it. Either way, I can use this thread to share my notes as they come to me.
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

Which book do you find "Enigmas" in? I'd replaced it with a Geography skill but that sounds more appealing.

I also need to figure out how to use the Dark Ages books to convert over some sort of mounted combat (I don't even know where to find that) as one of the players wants to make use of that when possible.
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lord_Pruitt »

If I remember at all, I believe the "Enigmas" skill was in the oWoD Mage book, and I want to say that it was also in the Werewolf book. But since my copies are packed away somewhere, I can't check to be sure.

Hope this helps
Nikolas of the Mists
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Nikolas of the Mists »

Enigmas was found primarily in Mage: The Ascension.

Honestly the skill was a crutch that many players relied upon to get them out of RPing and problem solving on their own. Investigation, Awareness and Occult could all be used to come out to a similar effect, it just required your players to be more on the ball. It became the "I don't know what to do right now, so instead of trying to figure it out on my own, I'll roll Enigmas and pray for open ends" solution.
"I wouldn't worry too much about the Vistana with the pistols --
If he wanted to kill you, he'd have done it already."
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

Fair enough, will probably just leave my "Geography" skill then, unless there are better ideas for a skill that falls into the same "Mental" category. That might be better, as I understand it "Survival" is what is used for Geography, so the skill might be a tad unnecessary.
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

It's amusing how things change from what you originally planned.

So now, my Ravenloft game under WoD has turned into a Victorian game under WoD, which I will run with a Ravenloft flaire, meaning I will be using NPCs from Ravenloft as well as elements like the Mists and such.

(Not Masque, because my issue with the Masque is that it is itself overtly evil, unlike the Dark Powers which have the mysterious angle). I guess I'm trying to think of it like a Ravenloft "Earth". I point out to my players this is Victorian era, but it does not mean it's our Victorian Era.

Anyway, I'm probably going to work on some NPC conversion soon, useful for anyone. I was thinking instead of making Strahd very much a custom monster, with both Mage and Vampire, applying two supernatural templates is something I wouldn't do for players but I don't see any problems with doing it for an NPC.

Does anyone else think this would work, or should I just build him out of Vampire (just wanted to make him truely terror inducing.
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lord_Pruitt »

If you can easily find a copy, check out the oWoD Vampire: Dark Ages - it should have some really good material for what you have in mind. :twisted:
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

I've just finished creating a NWoD conversion for Strahd von Zarovich:

Strahd von Zarovich

Attributes: Intelligence 5, Wits 4, Resolve 4, Strength 6, Dexterity 5, Stamina 5, Presence 5, Manipulation 6, Composure 5

Skills: Academics 3, Investigation 3, Occult 5, Politics 5, Science 1, Athletics 4, Brawl 4, Larceny 1, Stealth 4, Survival 4, Weaponry 5, Animal Ken 2, Empathy 3, Expression 3, Intimidation 5, Persuasion 4, Socialize 1

Merits: Contacts (Vistani) (5), Danger Sense, Familiar* (3), Fast Reflexes, Haven Security (Castle Ravenloft) (5), Library* (3), Magical Nexus* (2), Resources (4), Scrying* (3), See Spirits*, Soul Jar* (2), Status (Count of Barovia) (5), Weaponry Dodge, Weather Control*

Willpower: 9
Humanity: 4; Fixation
Virtue: Fortitude
Vice: Lust
Initiative: 10
Defense: 4
Speed: 16
Health: 10
Blood Potency: 6 (Vitae 15/3)
Disciplines: Animalism 3, Dominate 4, Majesty 5, Protean 5, Resilience 3, Theban Sorcery 3, Vigor 3
-- (Theban Sorcery: This form of vampiric magic is known by Strahd only as “Necromancy.”)
Devotion: Body of Will

Strahd and Necromancy
In the stats above, Strahd’s necromantic powers are replaced with “thaumaturgy,” or lesser magic. Storywise, this gives him more time honing his vampiric disciplines. Strahd became a vampire first before he became a necromancer, therefore he could no longer achieve the status of mage. If you opt not to use thaumaturgical merits for Strahd, simply increase his Theban Sorcery dots to 5.

However, if you choose to let Strahd pursue his necromantic art (but not actually giving him the status of mage), give him the following Death mage spells and rotes as merits (rotes in parentheses):
1- Speak with the Dead (Clamor of the Departed)
2- Animate Shadows, Soul Jar (Urn of Motes)
3- Control Ghost (Word of Woe), Quicken Corpse (Rise and Obey)
4- Enervation (Weight of the Grave), Haunting Death
5- Summon the Dead (Demanding an Audience of the Departed)

Prime Sources
-World of Darkness
-Vampire: the Requiem
-*World of Darkness: Second Sight
-Mage: the Awakening
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

Okay, that is officially awesome.

I may have to do a Darklord Conversion soon. Are you working on any others I should stay away from?

Oh, also some may not realize this, the new Hunter book "Witch Finders" actually has rules and powers for witches, even things you could technically give to a character (Hala anyone) they work differently from Mage, which in my opinion gives them a different flavor that I like.

Though there is a bit of overlap, defintly take a look at it.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Right now I'm done with Jacqueline Renier (using WoD: Skinchangers) and Azalin Rex (using Mage: The Awakening). I already have unfinished conversions for Ivana Boritsi (using WoD: Antagonists) and Dominic d'Honaire (using WoD: Antagonists and Second Sight). I'm avoiding doing a conversion for Wilfred Godefroy (using basic rules) since I found out that White Wolf's doing Geist: the ____ next year.
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:Right now I'm done with Jacqueline Renier (using WoD: Skinchangers) and Azalin Rex (using Mage: The Awakening).
I want to see ;)

Though why did you use WoD: Skinchangers instead of Changing Breeds? Makes a little less sense to me since she is a natural wererat not a skinthief.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

I don't have Changing Breeds yet, hehehe. But I could make the appropriate changes if I ever get it. :)

Meanwhile, I just got "Requiem for Rome," and here are the substitute skills provided for in that accessory:

Religion replaces Computers.
Warfare replaces Science.
Archery replaces Firearms.
Ride replaces Drive.

:)
DoctorMoreau
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by DoctorMoreau »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:I don't have Changing Breeds yet, hehehe. But I could make the appropriate changes if I ever get it. :)
It's a good book for the Ravenloft DM :) I'm working on a list of all of the crunch from all the different WoD books using PDF copies.

I just purchased a physical copy of that as well as a few others from Amazon.
Dion of the Fraternity wrote:Meanwhile, I just got "Requiem for Rome," and here are the substitute skills provided for in that accessory:

Religion replaces Computers.
Warfare replaces Science.
Archery replaces Firearms.
Ride replaces Drive.

:)
While I'm not opposed to the Religion/Computer change, and the Drive/Ride is an obvious one in a Ravenloft setting I would not replace Firearms or Science, I did however make the skill into "Firearms/Archery" so they could choose which one of the two they wanted.