The Eye of Anubis: Book Eight

Online roleplaying at the Café
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

"Kuzan's got an excellent point." Andre said, trying to shake well rested sluggishness out of his limbs. "And the "It was just for money.." Eugh..I feel the fool for not pressing further..." Andre sighed "Anyway, shall we?" he asked, heading after Kuzan, but not without casting a glance towards the sleeping Devereux. "Odd for him to be asleep this late..usually a damnably early riser.."
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Secondary Guest Room, The Monastery of Stilled Nightmares, Sebua
July 20th, 761, 10:20 AM; Day 125 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Kaitou Kage wrote:"Let's get looking. The sooner we find him, the sooner we can be on our way."
You got dressed and headed out to look for the wayward desert-guide. Quiet personality notwithstanding, he was a sort of necessary person for the continuing functioning of the Expedition, so it behooved you to find him. Dieter yawned his way to wakefulness and came along with you, though all the time you were getting dressed, Professor Devereux still slept, snoring slightly. You weren't that quiet, and Professor Devereux wasn't known to be a heavy sleeper...

Main Guest Room, The Monastery of Stilled Nightmares, Sebua
July 20th, 761, 10:38 AM; Day 125 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Kaitou Kage wrote:"Let's get looking. The sooner we find him, the sooner we can be on our way. I'll head over to the others' room and see if they will help look."
Well, you didn't find Khalil with the others. Quite the contrary, actually. Because as Kuzan opened the door to the main guest chambers where the rest of the Expedition was, he noticed something highly disturbing. A third of the members of the Expedition were fast asleep.

The other two-thirds were missing, gear and all. You quickly counted those who were gone.
  • -Samael Maleagant, the Borcan manager of the Expedition, and at the moment the only person who had even a vaguely legitimate claim to legal authority.

-Lily D'Envers, the beautiful Souragnien reporter and sometime student of magic with Lia. Her bed wasn't even slept in.

-Jervis. The surly mercenary was gone.

-Edmund Harris, the captain of the guards, and the only other person with a semi-legitimate claim to legal authority was also gone.

-Guy Benoit, who along with Khalil and Fassahd was the only person who could handle the animals. Loup was also gone.

-Michel de Angelis was gone too, the cook and Guy's friend.

-Mary Collins, whom you had picked up in Kermanevar was also gone. She had been talking with Lily a lot recently...

-Fassahd al-Muharin was not in the room either. Which was disturbing for a few reasons. Not only was he the only other person, aside from Khalil, with experience in desert-travel, but he was the only person who knew where the Tomb of Menetnashte even was.
Their packs were gone, their gear missing as if it had never been. The others were fast asleep. Professor Carter, Professor Marchand-Renier, Remy, and Sarari. Which was peculiar in its own way, since elves didn't sleep. But there was Sarari, slumbering away...

Something was badly wrong here.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Sam? Kuzan touched a finger to his earring, Are you all right? Half the group is missing and the others are asleep. Where are you?

"Let's get them up," the priest ordered hastily, moving toward the nearest sleeper and jostling the person awake. "Someone needs to go find the monks, the Abbot, somebody."

He paused and frowned. "There's no response to the stone," he said darkly.
Last edited by Kaitou Kage on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

The words to detect magic flew from Andre's lips faster than witty barbs at Borcan social function. "They're not under any sort of enchantment. Which makes this all the stranger." He swept his gaze from the sleepers, to the assembled awakened. "And neither are we. Is it possible we're still dreaming..and..where could they be...here...the passages? But Kuzan, you're right, we need to find the monks...if they aren't in on this..assuming there's a this to be in on..."
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

July 20th, 761, 10:38 AM; Day 125 of the Menetnashte Expedition

Kaitou Kage wrote:"Let's get them up," the priest ordered hastily, moving toward the nearest sleeper and jostling the person awake."
It took a good deal of jostling to get Remy to wake up. They young graduate student opened one eye and glared at Kuzan with a very annoyed look.

"Whassamattah?" Remy asked drowsily, trying to level himself up. He was still very sleepy. And it was mid-morning by now.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

"Get up, come on," Kuzan fairly hauled the student out of bed in his alarm, "Get dressed. The others are missing and we have no idea where they are."
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Andre looked for a moment, like he was lost in thought, trying to puzzle over something. Which was followed by him snapping out of it, and muttering a word in Zheresian you just did NOT say in polite company.

"His..the abbot's "name" resembles Thaani..vaguely. I've no clue if that's relevant or not. Either way, my guess is where we found the "prisoners" earlier. There, or the courtyard...and Remy..what's the last thing you remember?" Andre asked, starting to adopt a tone to his voice which wasn't exactly panic, but certainly wasn't puppies, sunshine and rainbows either.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

July 20th, 761, 10:41 AM; Day 125 of the Menetnashte Expedition

YalenusVeler wrote:"Remy..what's the last thing you remember?" Andre asked, starting to adopt a tone to his voice which wasn't exactly panic, but certainly wasn't puppies, sunshine and rainbows either.
"Huh... whu?" Remy asked groggily. Even at the best of times, he wasn't a morning person. Now, however... "Uh... I went to bed? Felt tired after the dinner so I went to sleep... um... early-ish? Like just after dusk?"

Around nine PM. So Remy had just slept for over thirteen hours straight.
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

"Remy, it's almost lunch time!" Kuzan exclaimed, "Come on! Something's wrong!"
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

"That would be..mh, 13 hours or so." Andre winced, not liking this at ALL. "Someone come with me, I'm getting Devereux awake. We may need his particular..talent." And with that, Andre headed for the door. That he stopped at the threshold to intone a Mass Conviction upon everyone..probably not the best of signs, really. But then again, so was a good portion of the group deciding to sleep in, and the OTHER part of the group deciding to take a merry unannounced jaunt.

OOC:Mass conviction is up, duration is 80 minutes. +3 to all saves.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

'Grimmric, Lia thinks. 'Attend me. The little bat comes crawling out of her hood at once and clings to the brow of her mask, looking down into its eyeholes. 'I want you to fly out, see whether there is any life in this building besides us. The instant you hear, see or smell anything, return to me at full speed. Do not be seen or heard if you can avoid it. Go.' With a brief chitter of affirmation, the little bat flutters off.

"If this is not magic," Lia says quietly, "it might be a psychic attack. I am assuming it was not poison, or we would all have been under the influence. ... I do not like to think ill of our host after all of this, but perhaps ... Yes, perhaps we should be taking a look at the holding cells reserved for the criminals caught by the Abbot."

A few minutes later, Grimmric comes fluttering back and crawls, chittering and shrieking, back into Lia's hood. "There is a monk in the courtyard!" Lia reports, voice crisp.
Last edited by Rock of the Fraternity on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

"In a monastery, yet." Tomas murmurs, having not entirely woken up himself. Becides, sparring with Lia means he does not have to face an ugly truth...

"I feel it is of relevance, now." Tomas says aloud, pulling his shield on and sword out. "To note that there was something strange about Herr Abbot's physique. Namely, he is either not warm-blooded, or he is not alive, and that he was slightly damp to the touch, in the way of fish, squid, toads, and other creatures of the swamp."

Sometimes, it seems, being tolerant of non-humans comes back to bite you in the ass. "I'll go talk to the monk. See if their ranks had a similar depression. Has anyone else besides that dream monster declared eternal hatred for us recently?"
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Lia ignores Tomas's barb, and joins Andre in his efforts to wake up professor Devereux. She starts with one of the simplest methods known to her; she pours a bowl full of water, then upends it over the professor's dreaming head.

"Rise and shine," she tells the academic in a placid tone of voice.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Charles sits down on a bed and laughs--perhaps slightly hysterically--for a long time.

Once he recovers, he says, "I doubt the Abbot is keeping them. I think they've done a bunk."
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Kuzan glowered at Charles for a moment, but the look changed from irritation to intensity when he turned away. "Let's go," he said to Dieter and anyone else that might be and interested, "See if we can find the Abbot. Or someone else that's high-up. Maybe they know something."

And maybe we'll swing by that secret door and I'll see if I hear anything.