Kartakass: Chapter Seven

Online roleplaying at the Café
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Deari is still shocked by this sudden emotional change... Of course that does not stop a blush or a small smile from forming when she see's him acting more confident.

"Yes wish him well for me..."

She nods and now her mind shifts back to the thoughts from before. She takes a seat to relax, and try to calm her mind and perhaps her heart to sleep. She is still blushing when she sits, and she is slowly getting there. Perhaps this food will help with such... She has had no dinner so far and this sounds good. She rises and wanders to help perhaps prepare the food as well. Blush still in place.

Meanwhile... Hobert has been following his masters very odd behavior with the larger one who now smells of the wild. The small young one is of the wild perhaps but they both smell as if predators yet accepted in the pack. For now however, his master seems distracted, and ready to rest which means food will be given soon. But he begins to sniff about... His short playmate is near by, and perhaps he could use some play as much as he could. With Cornelius scent clear, Hobert goes off to find him stalking and waiting to pounce as the game is. It appears he is headed to the same place as the food as well.

Hobert decides to pounce... The short one has always enjoyed the tackle game...
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Lucius is not obvlivious to the anxiety in Deari's face. He thought she might react like that. However, he wanted to be very sure of the next step. Her lips still burned in his forehead and that simple memory was more vivid than years of solitude and yearning.
As he had told her, he had made his peace with the past, and his earlier story was sealed and concluded.

Those two lips had been more meaningful than all her words and all her acts in the last days. Though he had watched her and noticed some of them, he had not really antecipated all of this. Not even when he invited her to hear his innermost confessions.

Mourning for the dead does not bring them back he repeated to himself while he went to see Vassili. But his mind was still revolving like a whirlwind. Being of a rational inclination, he was used to have his brain try to control his heart, but was it really worth it this time? He had a chance at happiness and he could lose it due to excessive caution. Was it really worth it to wait until he could be cured? Was that even logic?!

"Hey Vassili, still awake? How do you feel, brave boy?"

He looked at the young gypsy stoutly awake in his bed, and passed a hand over his cheek, as he fitted the blankets snuggly around him.

I may be dead tomorrow. Our life is so dangerous that I may never really have a moment of peace 'til the end of my days .

Vassili welcomed the priest's presence, and seemed about to say something, but Lucius was still deep in his thoughts. And the impact of his previous conclusion hit him squarely, as he felt again the medallion hidden at his chest.

Verily, waiting is the losing choice altogether. It's more probable I will die before I'm cured than the other way around. And if that does happen, waiting will only deprive two people of their happiness, however faint and brief it may be.

He looked at Vassili once again, and intimately vowed to see him free from the affliction even if that cost himself his own life.

Happiness may be brief. Let it at least be glorious!

He had made his resolution.

"Now, do you feel well? Fear not, you will live a grand adventure with us, and nothing evil will befall you. And do you know who also sents you a kiss? That's right, Deari!" he said with a smile.

He would still listen to Vassili and care for him, but his mind was already somewhere else... as it effectively always had been.

I must go to Deari. I must speak to her again. How angry she must be!... I just hope she understands.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Cornelius walks along, headed towards the cooking pot with a sack of edible plants which he's gathered.
The dwarf swivels his head when he hears something rushing up behind him. He sees a huge furry shape bearing down on him and he quickly snatches at his dagger...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Hobert see's that his friend is ready, thus the competition begins... He leaps foreward with a pattering of paws and begins to try and bring his rather stable playmate down... This will be fun!!!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Jacob watches the dog and dwarf at play with a smile. Then he gets to thinking about their mission. For sure, I'm glad to have Lucius back with us. Something is developping between him and the newcomer, Deari. That's fine, as long as nothing happens to either one. I have been thinking of my next move for a while now and it's time for me to move on and for the party to go abiut their lives without me.

Once arrived safely back in Darkon, the next mission waits on us. Perhaps it be best I stay and learn more of this land. I'd like to keep an eye on Vassili to make sure he gets the proper treatment from Father Dentor.

Walking over to the others, he sits at the table. Once Lucius is back from Vassili, he waits until the man eats before speaking.

"I have given some thought to what I'm about to say. You all know I'm what you call an outlander and actually where I am from. I know little of this land and when we get back to Darkon, we will part company so I can learn more of this land. I am sure there is an adequate library for me to peruse to my liking.

I also want to keep an eye out for Vassili to make sure he gets the proper treatment. Once he is deemed cured by Father Dentor, I will return Vassili to his family. After that, who knows. I might look up that elder man we traveled with from Sri Raji. There's more to him than meets the eye. I'd just like to add that it's been a privilege traveling with you all."
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Deari looks over to the tumult mid floor, from helping to prepare the food, after picking it up from where Cornelius was forced to drop it to the floor. Hobert seems to be struggling to unbalance their dwarven friend, and is defeated more often than not. Twice it appeared that he might succeed, but as it wears on, Cornelius while tired, dirty and slobbered upon, has obviously won his right to remain standing.

She was for the most part enjoying the display, almost as much as Hobert but then the weight of the words, as Jacob speaks near the end, is there. She is somewhat stunned but not suprised completely.

The want to return home was a motivation she could understand well... Then again she had just begun to feel attached to the whole of the group. Still she was happy for him to perhaps find his own path. She would however not forget him...

"If you feel you must leave then that is fine by me Jacob. I am sure we will all miss you, but I believe you may be doing what is best for yourself and I would not wish to deny you a chance for your happyness... Besides Vassili needs some sort of support, and more then perhaps we can provide in this lifestyle!"

She she smiles brightly after speaking, as she carries over several other plates of food that where prepared durring the scuffle, drawing Hobert from his rather tired play toy... She sets out the plates for those who have not eaten already, and glasses and in thought begins to look for some wine or other drink to go with it.

Perhaps a drink is in order... So much to think about and speak of, it will calm my nerves if no one else...
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Vassili fell asleep shortly after Lucius was there with him. He didn't really have anything important to say, he just wanted to feel comforted by whom was to be now, in effect, his warden.

Barely one or two minutes had passed when he came back to the main room. He could see Deari with her confused look, trying to drown her doubts in some occupation, while Hobert playfully created chaos in the room with Cornelius. She was bringing the plates with the dinner for everyone else, and he could see that at least eased her somewhat. His first instinct was to go and help her, but then he noticed there was nothing else to do. Everyone was sitting already and he found a place in front of Jacob.

As they began to eat, he noticed he didn't feel much appetite, but he didn't want to make Deari feel sad. Not more than he had already caused her to. Strange that his bestial hunger could be so easily placated by his anxiety over a woman. His heart was accelerated even as he ate and looked at her, or each time their eyes crossed. But this wasn't the time to talk to her, he wanted a little more privacy.

I'll talk to her when we finish, even if I have to cast everyone out of the room. But his thoughts were cut short by Jacob's words. When the elf finished, he could only agree with Deari and add.

"Jacob, I'm sure you know how much all of us like you and how much we are in debt to you. Surely we can not force you to stay and you have been with us and done for us more already than we could ask for.

If you feel you need to go, I can understand your motives, and it would be extremely selfish for us to try to demote you. Nevertheless, please know that you have been a wonderful companion."

He looked around the table, gauging the others' reactions, while distractedly fidgeting at the food.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Van was starving and he was more than happy when heard that they could finally eat something. The evoker is still concerned about Lucius but tries to mask it. Lucius needed to feel comforted right now and Van wanted to help him being at ease with them. He couldn't even imagine how his friend was feeling right now with this terrible disease, at least Madame Eva's gifts seem to could help him.

When their meal was ready Van get a seat and was ready to start eating when Jacob speaks. The evoker frowned with the news, he really liked the drow and he was going to miss him but he could understand his reasons.

"I understand Jacob, we will all miss you, I'm sure about that. You have helped and assisted us thousand of times with your spells, your wisdom even with your killing scimitars! You are very welcome to join us whenever you want. You are our friend and if you need any help you can count on us."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Dinner had been quite nice up to Jacob's announcement. Deari had excelled in her efforst, and even a nervous Lucius could savour her art.

The support his friends had showed towards him, and the care for his 'special' situation, was reassuring and comforting. He valued Van's support very much, as he always seemed to care for all the others in a very protective way... almost like a priest, in fact, or an elder brother. Cornelius and William were more reserved, but deep inside he knew he could count on them.
But what he also knew, for sure now, is that he cared for Deari more than for any other in the group. It might seem unfair, because she had been for so short a time with him, but that is the nature of things: it was not just friendship, he felt it already. And he had a burning need to talk to her.

After Jacob had spoken, and told everyone that he intended to leave the group, a heavy silence fell over the group, as each one found inside the right words to tell. Dinner then dragged to an overly-long anguish for Lucius, who felt the need for some private time and yet would not show any disrespect towards Jacob: he did like the elf, after all, and was genuinely friend of his.
Eventually, dinner ended, and Lucius took the chance to approach Deari, when she was more or less alone. She had drunk a bit of wine during the meal, and her eyes seemed brighter, but Lucius felt some kind of guilt inside him. He poured himself a glass of wine and drunk it too. The trembling in his legs subsided somewhat. Apologetically, he approached the woman and said

"Deari... I think I owe you an excuse... and some explanations. I... I've noticed your confusion since we returned to this cottage. I think it must have been due to something I did... or did not do."

He paused and tried to read her expression, divining her feelings.

"I needed to think. I wanted to be sure it was alright to feel what I feel for you. I wanted to be sure I would not hurt you.
Should we go to one of the rooms, where we can speak more privately?"
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Deari had watched as the others filed out and had seen some of this coming as Lucius approached with his glass... He spoke and paused and spoke again and confirmed exactly what she suspected. As he turned his eyes she set her hands on his shoulders softly, drawing him to look back toward her very happy smile!"

"You need not invite me elsewhere this time... I believe I know why you did it... I am not upset really. In fact it made me happy to see. You were protecting me in your own way... I was only confused the moment after the kiss. But I am now doubly sure I understand your feelings now that you have confirmed such!"

She pulls his arms up to rest on her shoulders and she is smiling even more brightly in his face... She leaned closer and yet stayed just slightly from full embrace... She was sure she had perhaps startled him again, but she was now sure it was just the way of him...

"You have done nothing but care for me so do not worry... Nothing in me has changed since after that talk, except that I will try to show you I am strong enough so you do not have to worry about me all the time..."

It was a feeling of comfort for that moment as she watched the emotions play across his face... He was possibly scared, but she was certain he was able to smile on the inside, and that was what had brought such concern to his voice. The good was there, even after all he had endured, and she knew this would be hard for him. Still she would not let him pull away out of fear...

She would wait for him now... She would wait and hold him close, if that is what he needed... He had waited for her, he had held her, and had waited even longer when she asked... She would wait... Even if he never asked...
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Earlier that evening...
VAN wrote:During the travel Van seems worried about something. After dinner he gets closer to William and says:

"William, I need your insight on our situation. Everything seems very easy. Lucius turns a lycanthrope and what a great occasion wakes up just before the throne and can easily retrieve the items. Nobody was there to guard them and we both know that these items are precious. Also we had no encounter except of the wolves in he forest. I don't know bit if I was a powerful wolfwere, as the one who had the items, I'd have tried to get them back...What do you think?"
William listens to Van's words of concern and he takes a resigned breath as he leans back and away from his gun cleaning. He stares off in space for a moment, clearly reflecting the possibilities of what his friend is suggesting. After a few moments, he looks to Van and replies.
"If we are being set up, we best be on our guard. We need to break routine and become unpredictable. If anything, at this stage of the mission, that level of caution may be a good idea anyways."

Presently...

William merely looks at Jacob as he makes his announcement, letting the others say their piece. His expression is one mixed of understanding and a bit of disappointment. He speaks little over dinner.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Deari, I'm so glad in your arms."

Lucius was smiling openly. He no longer felt insecure.

"You see, you have given me much more than I was expecting for. When I asked to talk to you, I was merely looking for a chance to know you better, to let you know me better too.
Instead, you have given me hope for more, you brought a ray of sunshine to a land that was barren for too long inside my chest. I was scared at first, surprised perhaps is a better term.
But now, I have no more doubts. I'm at peace with myself and with you.
"

He held her close, and drew her tightly to him, brushing his hands through her hair. He looked deep into her eyes, the words seemed suspended from his lips but his gaze spoke them openly.

"Let's be happy while we can"
, he said softly.

He joined his face to hers, feeling the soft touch of her skin, while still holding her firmly, then wandered up until his lips were planted on her forehead. He looked at her again, at her lips slightly parted, at the teeth partially revealed beneath them. He drew her once more, hungering for them.

And slowly, approached his own mouth from hers, his heart beating so loudly he could swear he heard drums, until the distance closed and their lips touched in a brief but long awaited kiss.

-----------------------------------------------------------
OOC: And yay, post 2^10 (geek's 1K) for me ! :-D
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Having, after quite a struggle, at last worn Hobert out, Cornelius goes looking for Jacob. When he finds the elf, he moves over to him and sits down on the ground. Cortnelius is filthy, with streaks of dirt and dog slobber all over his clothes.

''Jacob, I heard you mention that you are leaving us when we return to Darkon. Well, I expect that's all for the best. You've been a good companion, and I'm honored that you've come thus far with us. Iwish you luck in your future travels and research. If you need and tips about where to find good libraries, just ask me.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Why yes, Cornelius, I'd like that. Any information concerning sages, libraries and even bookstores or occult establishments will be greatly appreciated. I will probably take the form of a resident of Darkon so as not to alarm anyone. I have noticed how many people tend to reacty towards any non humans."

The dark elf stretches and gets comfortable in his chair.
"I had the chance to analyse and now know how to create more of Vassili's potions. I'll keep an eye out for him, though I am sure this Father Dentor will be capable. I get the feeling that these Vistani are not trusted at all. Madame Eva seems a powerful person though old and frail.
Ah, before I forget, I will be keeping in contact with you via messengers, if that's ok. Just to keep you up to date on my progress and as well, Vassilli's. I will return the boy to his people once he is cured, if that is in fact possible."

The next morning, as usual you pack up and leave for another few days of travel for Forformax. The days are uneventful and soon you've arrived at Forformax. After a nice evening at an Inn, you're off once more for Cortton.

Mostly running into travelers, the trip is relatively quiet and soon you're in Cortton. You stay at the same Inn as last time. The day is uneventful and soon it is morning and you are finally off to Pel and the steamboat!

On your last evening before arriving at Pel you encounter two young ladies, twins actually. They are camped in the forest and have a good fire going. One looks up as you approach, eyeing each one of you. Satisfied, she speaks "You can join us at our fire and share a meal, if you like?
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

William eyes the camp suspiciously, looking for weapons and gear. He briefly looks to the group and then back to the two ladies seated by the fire, scanning the area as he does so.

"Strange that two ladies such as yerselves should be found out here. Among the beasts." He says as he arches an eyebrow. "Even the roads aren't safe to travel by night, ya know." He pauses with about as much dramatic flair an old sailor can muster before continuing.
"The name is William. William Tack of Paridon. Who might you two ladies be?"