Superhero Bard?

Discussing all roleplaying games
Bryan1108
Conspirator
Conspirator

Superhero Bard?

Post by Bryan1108 »

For reasons way too complicated to go into, I need to make some fantasy versions of superheroes for my campaign. This was fairly easy with the other four. Warrior, Wizard, Rogue and Cleric were pretty simple to figure out.

But how the #&!! does a body make a superhero out of a Bard?

I mean, what is his power? Singing?

I thought about going the X-Men's Banshee way but I would like his to have something to do with the actual bards.

I'm stumped.
I would try to see things from your point of view but I doubt that both of our heads would fit up your butt.
Bryan1108
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Bryan1108 »

Thanks a pant load. :P
I would try to see things from your point of view but I doubt that both of our heads would fit up your butt.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Hey, easy there, Bryan! One day isn't much time to allow people to post their responses, y'know... :shock:

Just what are you looking for in a "superhero bard" here, anyway? Is it for a combat encounter? A negotiation of some kind? A parallel universe full of supers? Just a one-shot running gag? We need to know what you're using these superhero/D&D-hero hybrids for, before we can offer useful suggestions.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Algaris
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Algaris »

Try looking at Marvels 1602 comic book. They had some good ideas when it came to fantasy/mediaeval super hero's. They turned Daredevil into a bard/minstrel.

Here's the write up for his character:
http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel ... haracters)
For some reason PHPbb won't convert the URL correctly so you'll have to copy and paste it.

One word of warning. If you ever plan on reading 1602 the above links contains quite a lot of spoilers.
Matthew Murdoch, a blind Irish minstrel and freelance agent, who occasionally works for Sir Nicholas. Matthew acquired heightened senses from a mysterious substance he encountered as a child, and is this world's Daredevil (aka Matt Murdock). He shows a lot of the quick wit and humour that Daredevil displayed before Frank Miller turned him into a more serious and moody character.
Bryan1108
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Bryan1108 »

It's a plot device that started as a one off thing and has become a running gag. I'll probably keep it up until it stops being fun.

Basically, the party is being run through several alternate universes and their abilities are "rebooted" with each jump.

They've gone through the futuristic setting where all of their magic was changed into fantastic technological gizmos ...

... and the gothic horror setting with a fantasy Transylvania ...

... and a silent movie version ...

... and a Western version ...

... and a regency romance version ...

... and a post-apocolyptic version ...

... and finally, a B-Horror Slasher version. Now I want to run them through a superheroic genre and that will probably be about it before they finally get to go home.
order99
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by order99 »

Superhero Bard? He's the Faceman/Trickster of the group. Amp up his Illusion/Enchantment/Emotion Control abilities up to 11. As an added bonus, maybe he can use his natural skills with perception and music to find the frequency at which a particular material vibrates, and crumble it!

The more traditional Supers may be jealous...especially when they notice that SuperBard has 'defeated' the deadly Menace from Eris by asking her out...

Just a thought. :twisted:
"And did she ever come out?"
"Not Yet".
Bryan1108
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Bryan1108 »

I like that. I think that is what I'll go with.

Thanks. :)