Realms of Dread IC, Chapter One

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Rardi takes it all in. Some of them were there for thrill seeking or a bet perhaps? She didn't feel comfortable having to rely on these types to back her up. She is happy about the middle aged man. He seemed to have some experience and appeared to be knowledgable.

Turning to face them, she says "Aye. Any 'o' ye ever face a bloodsuckin Vampire? It's face right in yers, the fangs long and pointy. All it wants is yer blood, mac. It's eyes so mesmerisin'. It's touch can kill ye or make ye weaker fer ye troubles. That is unless ye know it's ways an kin handle one o the masterful undead. Think ye kin handle that? It ain't easy as it looks.

Beware what ye gettin inta. Mebbe them Vampires that ravaged a town not far from 'ere'll come 'ere an wreak havoc on Marsember. Think ye kin handle it?"

The dwarf looks to the middle aged man and winks.
Talbot gives Rardi a puzzled look, and tenses up, as if expecting....

One of the men, a respectable looking tradesman sort, bursts out in anger-

''Have we seen vampires? ARE YOU SERIOUS!?! Maybe no one told you, but an army of those damned things attacked our city five days ago and the fires they set burnt it half to ruins! Great gods! Priest or no, it's mightily rude of you to bait poor fellows thus. Some of us have lost friends and family in all this horror.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"I is serious, ya jackaninny! I'm testin yer mettle ya dolt! Would you in good faith, trust just anyone to be part of the militia an work with ye? I would not, mac. Yes I heard 'o' what ye speak of. Terrible deeds indeed. I assure ye, I mean no harm by me words. I just wanna see who's worthy 'o' bein a military man and who's got hot air for words 'n' not experience. Ye unnerstand? Dun take a no offence to me, I's a dwarf an expectin insults as much, mister."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Inovidil turns and sees the militia getting closer.

"Oh great!" She murmurs and checks if her crossbow and dagger are well hidden with her cloak. Inovidil doesn't like the new rule of not carrying weapons, despite she is a capable witch she feels better if she has a couple of weapons with her.

"I think I have to go as well Jamethon, it was nice seeing you again. I'm looking forward to see you tonight, lets say at the inn so you can get something to eat. I'll try to find the others too, they will be happy to see you."

With that she heads with steady pace back to town avoiding to look at the militia.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:"I is serious, ya jackaninny! I'm testin yer mettle ya dolt! Would you in good faith, trust just anyone to be part of the militia an work with ye? I would not, mac. Yes I heard 'o' what ye speak of. Terrible deeds indeed. I assure ye, I mean no harm by me words. I just wanna see who's worthy 'o' bein a military man and who's got hot air for words 'n' not experience. Ye unnerstand? Dun take a no offence to me, I's a dwarf an expectin insults as much, mister."
The angry man seems to calm down somewhat when given this explanation.

''As you like. I care not for all your big talk. We don't know you, foreigner, and we've got no reason to believe your tales. Harrumph!''

With that, the tradesman turns about and walks a little distance away, joined by most of the rest of the recruits.

Talbot the archer, says to Rardi-

''Bah, I knew what you meant. I'd have been less...um...pushy about it, that's all. Most of my countrymen have a strong dislike for loud, swaggering foreigners- especially if they consider those folk to be freebooters or adventurers. Might be they've gotten the wrong impression of you. ''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Inovidil turns and sees the militia getting closer.

"Oh great!" She murmurs and checks if her crossbow and dagger are well hidden with her cloak. Inovidil doesn't like the new rule of not carrying weapons, despite she is a capable witch she feels better if she has a couple of weapons with her.

"I think I have to go as well Jamethon, it was nice seeing you again. I'm looking forward to see you tonight, lets say at the inn so you can get something to eat. I'll try to find the others too, they will be happy to see you."

With that she heads with steady pace back to town avoiding to look at the militia.

Inovidil escapes the notice of the militia and moves down the street, making her way to the inn where her friends are lodged.

As she walks down the foggy boulevard, she becomes aware of a thumping sound, cries of pain, and some indistinct shouting. Turning the corner, she sees the source of the ruckus at the end of the block: another a group of men is beating a man in the street. Five militiamen, identifiable by the tin badges affixed to their cloaks, stand in a circle about their victim and pummel the unfortunate man with the butts of their spears. He groans and tries to rise, but the beating continues, and he drops down to the pavement once more. A few feet away on the ground is a shortsword, which the fallen man is trying to reach, but with no luck. One of the militiamen nudges the weapon aside with his foot, out of reach of the man on the ground.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Rardi turns her voice lower, so only Talbot can hear him. "That may be so. But no matter where I'm from, experience speaks in volumes. Ye appear to be a fine man. I'm not here to impress anyone, just help. Actions speak louder than words. They'll come around and mebbe so will I. I do know quite a bit bout Vampires and undead fiends. That's a reason why I'm here in the city actually.

What about you? Ye a citizen long time?"
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana wanders aimlessly through the streets, deep in thought and paying little attention to her surroundings. A prey to melancholy, she sighs a little. one booted foot kicks a stone, and she watches it bounce along the street, before she straightens up suddenly with a short sigh, flicking her mood away, straightening her green tunic, and flicking her long cloak back, taking in her surroundings, banishing, or at least burying, her mood

Post by Guest »

Archedius recognizes that smell. It's clung to many battlefields. Death. It drifts towards him on the breeze, mixed with ashes and particles. The fetid odor has worked its way into his clothing and nostrils. He can even feel its indescribabley sweet, gut wrenching taste on his tongue.

He walks towards it, as he has done so for the past several hours and rounds a small hill. The plume rises above him and his gaze descends towards the gargantuan pyre burning outside of the large city. He wipes a piece of detritus off of his brow and walks towards the gates.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Rardi turns her voice lower, so only Talbot can hear him. "That may be so. But no matter where I'm from, experience speaks in volumes. Ye appear to be a fine man. I'm not here to impress anyone, just help. Actions speak louder than words. They'll come around and mebbe so will I. I do know quite a bit bout Vampires and undead fiends. That's a reason why I'm here in the city actually.

What about you? Ye a citizen long time?"

''Me? I'm a Cormyrean by birth, and proud of it. ''

Talbot continues-

''If you know how to deal with the undead, well, then I'm damn glad you are here, Rardi. All of use are worried that those monsters that attacked the city may come back, or that some of them are maybe hiding in the canals and burnt-out districts. Can they...um...curse us to become like them?''

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Rardi responds to Talbot, face serious. "Yes they can turn ya into a Vampire, if that's what ye mean. I pity anyone who shares the same fate as a Vampire. It's our job, mine in particular , to eradicate their existence."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"This is going to far..."

She waves her hands in intricating patterns and touches her head then she yells at the militiamen:

"What are you doing, stop! He is helpless. Just arrest him, no need to treat him like that!"

OOC> Mage armour.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Outside the city walls
Anonymous wrote:Archedius recognizes that smell. It's clung to many battlefields. Death. It drifts towards him on the breeze, mixed with ashes and particles. The fetid odor has worked its way into his clothing and nostrils. He can even feel its indescribabley sweet, gut wrenching taste on his tongue.

He walks towards it, as he has done so for the past several hours and rounds a small hill. The plume rises above him and his gaze descends towards the gargantuan pyre burning outside of the large city. He wipes a piece of detritus off of his brow and walks towards the gates.
Reaching the nearest gate, Archidues sees the entry to the city guarded by Purple Dragon soldiers with swords and shileds, all armored in mail. The guards challenge him as he approaches-

''Halt. State your buiness.''

The tone of the soldiers isn't hostile, but they don't seem overly friendly, either. They look Archideus over carefully, noting any weapons he might be carrying.
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:"This is going to far..."

She waves her hands in intricating patterns and touches her head then she yells at the militiamen:

"What are you doing, stop! He is helpless. Just arrest him, no need to treat him like that!"

OOC> Mage armour.
One of the militiamen kicks the fallen man in the face, knocking him out. Another man squats on the unconscious man's back and begins binding his wrists with a short length of rope. The remaining three militiamen approach Inovidil with their spears in hand, but no pointed at the mage.

One of them, and older man with a thick bushy beard, says-

''Who are you? Hold on, you aren't in trouble...yet. Better explain yourself to us, I think.''

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Hey, did ye hear that? I think somethin's goin on that way" she points in the direction she heard a disturbance from. "Let's go see what's goin on stead a waitin an doin nuthin."

Turning she heads for the sounds of disturbance she heard. Whether Talbot follows is not important. It was better to go help than sit around and do nothin in her book.
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

Archedius nods his head curtly, snaps his heels together and gives a slight bow.

"I am Archedius Tagaris of Damara, I assume from your uniforms I have arrived at Cormyr. I am a man-at-arms and would like to find work here."

Archedius reaches into his cloak and removes several belts with scabbards attached.

"I assume you need to see if I'm armed. If it is a problem, I will pay." He flashes his teeth in an attempt at a smile.