Realms of Dread IC, Chapter One

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Archedius wrote:Archedius nods at the Sargeant.
"Thank you, sir. I submit my weapons to be peacebound until I have properly signed up. Red Knight be with you."

Archedius shifts his weight off of his spear and winces. He turns the point towards himself and offers the handle towards one of the Purple Dragons.
The soldiers bind Archideus' weapons, and fasten a leather sheath over the head of his spear.

The Purple Dragons are now behaving in a friendly manner towards Archideus.
Their sergeant says to the old man-

''Signing up? Good, we could use the help. Alright, then, I'll have one of the locals guide you down to the militia-house. May Helm watch your back and Tymora smile upon your endeavours.''
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

outside the miltia-house-

The militiamen allow Rardi to attend to the injuries sustained by their captive. The man recieved quite a drubbing , but he'll certainly live, even without treatment. Most of his injuries are superficial bruises and cuts. He responds well to Rardi's attempt to heal him, although he remains groggy and dazed.

The militia sergeant walks over to where Ino and Rardi are waiting. He seems much calmer now, compared with his earlier flustered state at the scene of the beating and interrogation.

''The captain wants to see you both in his office.''

Inside the building, the two women are led to the captain's office- a modestly appointed room with unpainted pine floors and walls. The only decoration is a small framed portrait of the old King, Azoun IV. Between a worn and heavily scratched desk sits a man of middling years and gaunt aspect. He hunches over his desk , reading some sort of documents, which he puts into a drawer as soon as the two women enter. He rises and greets them, motioning towards an empty bench that sits across from his desk.

''I am Watch-Captain Rask. I understand that you two ladies have some complaint about my men's methods of enforcing the King's peace?''

Watch-Captain Rask has bags under his eyes, and his voice seems a bit rough and scratchy.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

I follow the local and ask general questions about what has happened, specifically I ask about current conflicts and lawlessness.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Rardi looks at the man and feels a small amount of pity. The city has gone through and more in the past few days. Her tone is a bit harsh, but sympathetic.

"I'm not sayin' yer men dinna do their job right Mr Rask. I'm jess sayin that perhaps they should reconsider their methods. For the love of pete, the lad merely had a knife. Does that really merit a beating? Come on!

I know the situation is grim, I'll give you that. But perhaps ye should be a little more selective or at least have the men undergo some mini training as to what they're tasks are and how to go about them. Do they know the laws of the land? Can they handle themselves in a real scrape? I doubt half the men you hire fit this mold. Five of your men beat a man senseless because he had a knife. That's not normal.

I'd of subdued the man without harming him if at all possible. I think you , being the professional you are, would have done the same. As would have me acquaintance Inovidil here. We are experienced and act accordingly.

I may have had some cross words to yer men, but I had reason. I did go to join yer militia. I still want to join. Ye should be chosin better candidates. I is sure as the sky is blue that some people join the militia for a kick or on a lark. Yer men thought I'd make sergeant acause I had a booming voice. I'd like to heal the man that was beaten and talk to him if possible.

What do ye think?"
Last edited by steveflam on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Archedius wrote:I follow the local and ask general questions about what has happened, specifically I ask about current conflicts and lawlessness.
The local man is happy to talk. He tells Archideus of the attack on the city and the great fire, which apparently took place five days ago.

''It was awful! Monsters everywhere, and somehow the city caught fire! ''

The man doesn't seem to have a clear grasp on exactly what the monsters were-

''I dunno, some sort of goblins is what I thought when I saw the first few come o'er the walls, but I expect I was wrong. Goblins bleed, don't they? These things didn't seem to bleed or feel pain like any natural creature. Some of them looked sorta human, too, like kids, maybe. Only they weren't human, I'm sure o' that. Priests say they were some kinda 'un-dead.'''

Walking through the streets, Archideus can see the city has been ravaged by fire, and there are signs of a battle, as well. Now and again, he passes a group of men pulling corpses from burned buildings, or clearing rubble from the street. Part of the city has canals in place of streets, and the old swordman notes debris floating in these waterways. Some citizens are employed in fishing this junk out, and cart it away in wheelbarrows.

His guide continues to speak-

''Yeah, so Lord Ildool, he's worried about lootin' and riotin', that sort of thing. He's had to hang seven men for trying to rob the public storehouses. Maybe half the soldiers and old watchmen are dead, injured, or missing. That's why he's hiring more men. ''

After a long walk, the local man points out a warehouse with several watchmen standing in front of it. A row of desks manned by quill-scratchers stands near the door, and a line of men is formed up along the street, passing by the desks on their way into the building.

''Here you are, grandfather. Just give the scribes your name, and they'll see you get a billet and a badge, just like me. Good luck.''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:
What do ye think?"
''What do I think? I think you'll make a fine deputy, that's what I think. By Helm's watchful eye- I need more men- I mean to say women- like you! I respect someone who stands up for what's right and speaks her mind.''

He offers both women some tea [brought in by a junior watchman] and continues speaking-

''Look here, half my men are green recruits. We try to teach them to handle things professionally, but they are new at this sort of work. They get scared, they get excited, and they make mistakes. I know we've got some nasty fellows on the rolls, but most of these men are just trying to help. ''

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Rardi smiles. "True they're attempting ta do their jobs. Mebbe they should be less vigorous about it depending on the situation at hand. A good judgement can go a long way I think."

Then she laughs "Me? A deputy?? That's a hoot, sir. I only say what's in me heart and true. So, do Inovidil an I have work in yer ragtag militia and do we have permits fer our weapons? I gots me a fine mace here. I dunno bout Inovidil but me pal Talbot seems capable enough an I think 'e has a bow of some type. If it were me I'd hire 'im and give 'im tha permit and some authority. 'E's capable."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Rardi smiles. "True they're attempting ta do their jobs. Mebbe they should be less vigorous about it depending on the situation at hand. A good judgement can go a long way I think."

Then she laughs "Me? A deputy?? That's a hoot, sir. I only say what's in me heart and true. So, do Inovidil an I have work in yer ragtag militia and do we have permits fer our weapons? I gots me a fine mace here. I dunno bout Inovidil but me pal Talbot seems capable enough an I think 'e has a bow of some type. If it were me I'd hire 'im and give 'im tha permit and some authority. 'E's capable."

''I'll tell you what, I'll hire all of you. Since you've got such strongs ideas about justice, I'll appoint you in charge of a new squad, and let you pick the recruits yourself. You'll be assigned the toughest missions I've got, the sort of things my less experienced men would have trouble handling. How does that sound to you Mistress Silverhelm?''

A faint smile flickers across Rask's face as he waits for an answer.

Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

"Thank you son, Red Knight be with you." He nods his head towards the man and takes his leave. He limps towards the desks to sign up.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"I think that's a fine idea, Mr Rask. I am sure INovidil and I will chose accordingly to our new positions. I'd like ta chose this Talbot fella to join us. Inovidil, have ye got any people ye'd like to add to our team?

Mr Rask, I wouldn't mind having authority over the other groups. What I be sayin is if I see people abusin o their authority, we kin step in an act accordingly. It's got nothin ta do with justice. Jess how the job should be done."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Archedius wrote:"Thank you son, Red Knight be with you." He nods his head towards the man and takes his leave. He limps towards the desks to sign up.
The men at the desk take the old soldier's name and dispatch him into the building. Inside, he can see that the warehouse has been converted into a barracks and storehouse/armory for the watch. He's issued a badge [a tin starburst] and a bundle of food [cheese, bread, and dried fruit] and a full wineskin [the wine is a little sour, but drinkable]. Someone finds a cot for him.
A couple of militiamen are playing cards at a makeshift table [a wooden crate] and they invite Archideus to join them.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote: ''Mr Rask, I wouldn't mind having authority over the other groups. What I be sayin is if I see people abusin o their authority, we kin step in an act accordingly. It's got nothin ta do with justice. Jess how the job should be done."
''Hmmm... let's see how you do with your own squad first. Later, I'll review the possibility of increasing your authority. You've got to earn it.''

Rask remains calm and his voice is level and measured. He sits down and drinks his tea while Ino and Rardi speak.

Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

Archedius walks up to the card game and takes a seat.
"What's the game?"

OOC: Would I make an intelligence check to try and win a card game or two?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Archedius wrote:Archedius walks up to the card game and takes a seat.
"What's the game?"

OOC: Would I make an intelligence check to try and win a card game or two?
One of the men says-

''Ah, were playing trumps, Arabel rules. If you don't know how to play, we'll show you.''

[OOC- Sure, just give me three D20 rolls]

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Fair enough. I always say judge a person by their actions, not their words. If that's all, we'd like to get our group together and accept our first mission, sir."

Rardi and Inovidil exit the room and pass through the barracks. She scans the men there playing cards. Stopping she looks again. It had been a few years, but she thought she recognized one of the men. That canna be him? Why, yes. Yes it is him. After alla these years we find ourselves in the same place. I be damned!

She walks over to the card players. Looking right at Archedius she winks.
"Ay, ye scoundrel! Ye don' happen ta be Archedius Tagaris 'o' Damara, do ye? Only known one soldier as ugly as I am! Well well it is you, ye dag!."

She grabs his hand and shakes it then attempts to lift him from hte chair and hug him. "How ye been all these years?! Looks like ye aint staed much outta trouble at all. Well now Rardi is 'ere, I'll keep good care o ye, ye old fart!" The dwarf laughs at her own humor and smiles at Archedius.
Last edited by steveflam on Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.