Online roleplaying at the Café
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Eye of Anubis: Book Eleven

Post by Isabella »

The Tomb of Menetnashte
August 29th, 761, 9:17 AM; Day 165 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImageImage

"How nice of you to bring the kitchen staff along, Vedarrak," Marchand-Renier snapped, rather acerbically. "Will they be serving lunch at the tomb?"

The narrow, treacherous paths along the cliff faces stretched the Falkovnian army out like a snake, winding it's way among the fissures. Lieutenant Lebrecht and the cavalry were gone, the mountains being poor places for horses; you could still see them patrolling the desert below, ensuring you would not be followed. Taking their place were the Akiri servants who had served you back in Snefru's manor. They walked unfettered among the soldiers, fear keeping them chained more effectively than iron shackles could. For better or worse, Mandisa was not among them.

"If time provides," Vedarrak said, with the same amused tolerance he had toward all the barbs Sebastian had been tossing his way. "I can assure you, Sebastian, they will come to no harm at all. Provided nothing happens to us, of course."

The last bit was directed more toward the black-eyed figure in front than to Professor Marchand-Renier, although Kheldun couldn't understand a word of it. The old man led you through the tunnels and crannies of the cliff-face at his own steady pace, following such a convoluted path that it was hard not to wonder if Vedarrak's suspicions were correct, and that Kheldun was trying to get you hopelessly lost.

"We must have searched this cliff over thirty times," the Kommandant said in Akiri, looking around at the towering rock towers on either side of him. Vedarrak's eyes often tended upward, searching for any sign of an enemy ambush.

"You should have searched once more," came the old man's gruff reply. Kheldun ducked into a long fissure, leading the Falkovnians through a dark tunnel. For what seemed like an eternity, all you could hear was the echoing sounds of armor and nervous breathing. Then, there was a slight murmur of surprise from the soldiers up ahead of you. You could smell fresh air, see a hint of light, and a moment later, the tunnel opened up.

The cavern in which you stood was much smaller than the great cavern that housed Kamarn-Quse, but it was still large enough to impress. Where the Dread City had felt oppressive and unnatural, this cavern held a sense of great timelessness and majesty. It had stood here when the Pharaohs of Har Akir had ruled the greatest empire of the world, and here it would stand until long after the desert reached forth and claimed the very last of their descendants.

"Impressive," Vedarrak admitted. The Kommandant walked forward, his attention caught by what lay at the other end.

Upon the far wall of the cavern was a massive relief carved into the stone, forming the walls and doorway of a great temple. The massive monument was even larger than the now ruined Temple of Osiris, with giant pillars running the length of the entire façade. Brilliant designs covered the face of the temple wall, untouched by the ravages of time; hundreds of hieroglyphics ran down the side, surrounding jackal-headed figures performing the ancient rituals of embalming. Two statues in sand-stone and ebony-wood flanked the sides of the doorway, depicting a jackal-headed man many times life size. Great bronze swords lay sheathed by the sides of their carved war-kilts, and their opal eyes glowed like fire in the dim light.

"The paint is completely untouched," Carter breathed, looking impressed. "This is the most intact ancient Akiri tomb since... well, ever." Remy let out another string of frustrated mutters over the theft of his camera.

"Here lies he who's name shall not be spoken," Marchand-Renier quietly translated the writing at the top of the archway. Even at this distance, the professor could read it clearly. "May those who enter join him in oblivion."

"Well," Vedarrak said, reasonably, "one man, at least, has entered and returned to tell of it. A moment, if you please." The Kommandant said a few mystic words, looking around the chamber and carefully examining everything. "That was less helpful than I hoped," he added after a moment. Picking up a rock that had chipped loose from the sandstone floor, Vedarrak threw it toward the doorway.

The statue eyes lit up like twin suns. A moment later, the rock exploded in midair, the tiny shards bursting into flame as they clattered to the floor.

"How very interesting," Vedarrak said. Oddly enough, he sounded like he actually meant it. "But something I am afraid I have little time for. I assume there is some sort of password."

"No," Kheldun said abruptly. Vedarrak raised his eyebrows slightly. "You are judged. You are either found worthy... or lacking."

The Kommandant narrowed his eyes at the Akiri priest. "I think there is far more to it than that," he said, his voice dangerously low. "And your guidance is of little use to me if I cannot enter the tomb."

"You have your superiors, He-of-the-Hawk," Kheldun replied, calmly gesturing toward the temple door. "I have mine."

A black clad figure was suddenly visible in the gloom of the temple, shrouded in torn priestly robes. You could barely make out any features at this distance, but the curved steel shamshir stood out against the darkness, hovering ominously before the tomb entrance. Menetnashte looked out at you, regarding those who stood before her. Then, in an instant, she melted away into the darkness, as if she had never been.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

It's us, Kuzan thought, a chill running up his spine. Only those of us she picked can go forward. The rest will have no choice but to wait.

He swore silently. If everyone had to wait, that just gave Vedarrak leverage all over again. So much for saving his behind back in Muhar.

The priest took a tentative step forward. "I'll go on," he said, "I'm...supposed to be here anyway." He glanced at Kheldun, almost as though seeing if the old man understood what that meant.
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

"Huh." Tomas looks lost for a moment, his eyes glazing over as he peeks at the spiritual dimension. If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it might be a duck. But one can always hope it isn't.

The Lamordian runs a hand through his hair, adjusts his cap, and nods at Kuzan, stepping forward. "If this thing kills me, someone tell my mother I died doing something really clever and heroic instead, ja? She'll know it's a lie but it'll make her feel better."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

"Well, Kommandant?" Charles says, raising one eyebrow. "How do you feel about the prospect of judgement?"
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Becalm yourself, monsieur Lessard," Lia says to Remy, her tone of voice not unkind. "Provided we both survive this expedition, I can conjure an illusion of this place. You should be able to make a picture of that, yes?"

Turning to Tomas, she makes a disparaging noise. "We shall do no such thing. This is your mother you are talking about. She will already know you were doing your level best, so it is unnecessary to lie about it."

Finally, she turns to Vedarrak. "You perhaps misinterpret what is truly necessary, herr kommandant. In case you had forgotten, Cavendish is still nearby. Doubtless, he is using your troops as a scrying focus, so I shouldn't wonder that he will be here soon."

Lia lets that thought sink in for a second or two, then continues: "Your troops need solid leadership from someone who knows them, and who is capable of spotting that murderous deceiver when he appears, before he causes ... unpleasantness. They are strong warriors, but I doubt they would be able to put up a covincing fight against Cavendish's mind tricks.

Seeing as we are all working towards the same goal, all under the auspices of the same grand institution, you can surely trust us to perform the initial survey of the tomb -- provided we are allowed to make our entry unscathed. And remember: you will be out here, covering the only exit from this place. Do you think we can walk straight through miles of stone? As far as I recall, the Ancient Akiri did not believe in adding more than one entrance/exit aperture to their great monuments."

Having spoken, Lia goes to stand next to Kuzan. "I, too, must enter," she tells him in a shockingly sweet tone of voice. "I have not ridden, walked and bled my way from Port-a-Lucine to the Amber Wastes to pass out on such a profound archaeological opportunity."

'I should have swept Vedarrak from the path once we got up high enough.'
'But we really do need him to watch out for Cavendish and keep his thugs under control. Wait. Watch.
Then seize the moment.'
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Eye of Anubis: Book Eleven

Post by Isabella »

The Tomb of Menetnashte
August 29th, 761, 9:17 AM; Day 165 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rock wrote:"Becalm yourself, monsieur Lessard," Lia says to Remy, her tone of voice not unkind. "Provided we both survive this expedition, I can conjure an illusion of this place. You should be able to make a picture of that, yes?"
"I don't know," Remy admitted, sounding intrigued. "I'm not certain if it would show up on film. It would depend on whether the nature of the illusion is in the viewer's mind, or in the actual light of the surrounding area. Most studies seem to indicate the former, but it would be an interesting experiment to try... Though even if the illusion was affecting the light, that's no guarantee that the equipment would pick it up..." The student put his hand to his lips pensively.

Carter, in the meantime, had gathered a small pile of rocks from about the cavern, cautiously making his way toward the relief. Beginning in the corner of the cavern, he tossed the rocks ahead of him on to the ground, approaching only when he had confirmed nothing would fry him if he stepped there. The professor made it up to the tomb wall safely, then began to move closer to the door. He stopped when one of his rocks exploded.

"Looks like it's safe enough to approach," he said, removing a little grit from his eye. "It's only trying to enter that sets them off. No one go any further than about... here." Carter marked a semi-circle on the ground with the rest of his stones.

"Very good," Vedarrak complimented. He walked up a bit closer, though not too close, and regarded the monument before him. "Anything useful in those hieroglyphics, Sebastian?"

"Plenty of funeral rites for when you get someone killed, Vedarrak," came the professor's irritable reply.
Nathan of the FoS wrote:"Well, Kommandant?" Charles says, raising one eyebrow. "How do you feel about the prospect of judgement?"
"With the lack of any clear guidelines on this 'judgment', I feel justified in a certain level of caution," Vedarrak said mildly. His eyes, however, were very cold. "Given the sudden rash of volunteers, however, I suspect that you already know the answers."
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Isabella wrote:"I don't know," Remy admitted, sounding intrigued. "I'm not certain if it would show up on film. It would depend on whether the nature of the illusion is in the viewer's mind, or in the actual light of the surrounding area. Though even if the illusion was affecting the light, that's no guarantee that the equipment would pick it up..."
"Well, we shall make an experiment of it," Lia promises the linguistics student. "In my experience, Enchantment is more the school of magic that affects the mind, and Illusion manipulates shadows, darkness and light to create its imagery, but it will be intriguing to see what daguerrotypes make of my creations."

Lia tugs a little on her gloves, as if to secure them into place. Then, the wizard holds out one hand to Tomas and the other to Kuzan. "Shall we, gentlemen?"
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

"Lia, it was a-" Tomas sighs as she's off on another tangent, grinning a little. He can't help it.

Some worried murmuring later, Tomas realizes he was waiting for the others, for some reason. Huh, his feet do drag sometimes, it seems. "Well, gosh, miss." Tomas drawls, looking mock bashful as he takes Lia's hand. He could go on, but Kuzan has a rather conservative sense of humor and he doesn't want to embarrass the priest.

And, barring disaster, off he goes!
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

DocBeard wrote:"Lia, it was a-" Tomas sighs as she's off on another tangent, grinning a little. He can't help it.
"As was mine," Lia informs the knight in a rather dry fashion. And, after a brief moment of consideration, she adds: "Dope."
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

"I too shall go on, it would seem fate has called me to this place, and I do not intend any of you to go on without me." Sascha says stepping forward to join the others.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

The Tomb of Menetnashte
August 29th, 761, 9:21 AM; Day 165 of the Menetnashte Expedition

"Herr Eisenwald, if you could wait for the entire survey team to be assembled before you wander into the dangerous unknown-" Vedarrak began, but there was nothing he could do to stop the two, not without stepping over the stones Carter had left upon the cavern floor - and it seemed that Vedarrak was unwilling.

In the hazy light of the cavern, is was hard to tell what was real, or just a trick of the Falkovnian's torchlight. The flickering shadows of the place tricked the eye into thinking that the walls and pillars might be moving. It almost seemed as though the statues looked down at those who approached them, silently judging them in their glowing eyes. The air seemed to thicken around you for a moment, then it was gone, and you were past. The door of the Tomb lay open before you, the oppressive gloom almost solid as it roiled before your eyes. The pitiful light from outside guttered and died as it touched the darkness, and not even the sharpest eyed among you could pierce beyond it. Tendrils of the blackness almost seemed to curl out, as if to wind themselves around you.

Vedarrak turned as someone started laughing. It took some time for him to realize it was Devereux.

"Very well, then," Vedarrak calmly acquiesced. "You seem to have this figured out well in advance. You are, after all, the initial expedition team. I shall leave you to it. Those of you who do not go in can remain behind and explain to me what everyone else seems to already know. Thomas, Sebastian, would you mind? I don't think you've quite recovered from your escapades yesterday, and given the obvious danger, I would be remiss in letting you enter before the initial survey is complete."

Carter frowned, but took one look at the glittering crossbows of the suddenly on-edge troops and nodded. You could hear him muttering to himself as he turned away from the relief. "-travel halfway across the world to sit outside and play whist-"

"Professor Devereux, where are you going? This isn't a place for you to venture right now," Vedarrak suddenly asked. He sounded more concerned than angry, a sentiment not un-shared by most the others.

"This is the end." You hadn't recalled the professor's voice being quite so strong before. He was wearing his bright violet coat, and had the tailor who made it told him it brought out his eyes, he would not have been lying. Devereux's eyes seemed to glow with an ethereal light. "What lies within awaits."

"Professor!" Remy called out, but Devereux continued past the statues, unconcerned. The twin jackal-gods seemed to regard the man as he approached them. Their eyes seemed to glow even hotter for a second... and then they quieted. The professor approached Lia and Tomas, his face unearthly calm. "Hello," he said.

He stepped into the gloom, the darkness curling around him as he vanished behind it.
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

Otto peers up at the twin jackal statues, seeming rather tired.

I wasn't even supposed to be here.

Come on. By that logic, you were "supposed" to be dead of a botched revenge killing, a few months back.

...Point.

I've got loads of 'em.

Here's one for you. I try to be a pretty decent guy: I'm good to my wife, I don't gouge prices, and I apparently shoot undead monstrosities when they threaten innocent civilians. If I walk through that gate, I'd like to *hope* that I'll be judged favorably.

So?

So...are they going to let *you* in?

I'm a wolf. She's a jackal. We get along.

Looking back at the crowd, Otto gave a surprisingly cheerful salute to the massed troops--then stepped up to meet Lia and Tomas.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Charles?" Lia calls. "I suppose you had better come in and bring the magic torch, it's a tad difficult to see in here."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

"What? Oh, certainly."

Fetching out the torch, Charles crosses the indicated boundary with considerable insouciance. "Right...we've got the sending stones, yes?" he asks Kuzan. "So we can communicate with those who remain out here?"
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Andre sighed as he finally stepped forward to see if the statues of warding, or whatever they bloody were would annihilate him on the spot or allow him entrance into a gods only know how many years old tomb, probably filled with lethal traps..and an elder fiend.

It was one of those situations where being rendered down into nothingness could almost be considered kinder.

"I have this sinking feeling we're all going to quickly hit a point where anything considered scholarship vanishes in a cloud of soul searing panic." Andre finally said, with a tone of almost merry fatalism. "Till we hit that delightful point, let's try to keep our wits about us, and be on guard..a stone looks out of place, something shines in the light in a way that looks...off..consider it dangerous."
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"