The Unsettled House

Online roleplaying at the Café
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

François' eyes get wide at the huge amount of money that the Madame offers, as he unsuccessfully tries to hide his surprise but probably fails.
[OOC Bluff 14 to play cool].

He tries to remember the latest "Casefile of Alanik Ray" that he has read and launches into his best emulation of the Great Detective:

"Trés interessant, Madame. It appears to be a nightly haunting indeed. You said the creaks come at a specific time each night. When? Also when was the first time that somebody noticed these creaks and who was it?

"How do you know that the furnishings have been moved?"

"What are the higher floors currently used for ?"

"Tell us more about the dogs. Who brought them in, what kind of dogs where they, and how were they killed?"

A bit too late François remembers to carefully note the reaction of both his aunt and his cousin when they answer these questions.
[OOC Sense Motive 12 to gauge their reactions/honesty]
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

The Giamarga wrote:"Trés interessant, Madame. It appears to be a nightly haunting indeed. You said the creaks come at a specific time each night. When? Also when was the first time that somebody noticed these creaks and who was it?
"They start around suppertime," Mrs. Dulapont sighs. "We have tried to eat sooner, then later ... But always, the creaking starts just when dinner is to be served. The first time we noticed ... Well. That must have been around the first anniversary of the death of my husband, your late uncle." The look the lady gives François at this time is ... inscrutable. She continues to view everyone else in the room over her steepled fingers.
The Giamarga wrote:"How do you know that the furnishings have been moved?"
The lady smiles humourlessly. "We use several rooms on the higher floors as guest roos, but also to store very old, very heavy furniture," she replies. "Too heavy for one man to lift by himself, I would have said before meeting this young lady." She graciously indicates the 'young lady' from Falkovnia. "When we started to investigate the noises ourselves, we often found several pieces had been moved from their location, because they had scored the floorboards as they were being moved. They looked to have been pushed or dragged, rather than lifted. The traces are still there."
The Giamarga wrote:"Tell us more about the dogs. Who brought them in, what kind of dogs where they, and how were they killed?"
"They were the family's own dogs," Lady Dulapont replies, her lips gone thin. "The finest of hunting dogs, beagles, setters, bloodhounds. All the dogs your uncle so used to love hunting with in the countryside. We brought them in on my order, since I recalled how well they had served my late husband. We took them upstairs to sniff around for traces of intruders, and they almost immediately grew ill. They were dead within days, and only a few bloodhounds remain to us now; the elderly and pregnant females."

(OOC: Jeremy is not currently in the room, and Mrs. Dulapont seems to be completely honest with you.)
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Francois tries to gauge the time until supper-time, which in Richemulot is always a bit later, than in say Mordentshire, and then conitues:

"Ah, yes my uncle. I recall he died in an accident. I don't want to be rude, but can you tell us a bit more about how he died?"

[OOC: What's the name of her late husband, my uncle again?]
Baron Zamedi
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Baron Zamedi »

"Very interesting"- Says Paul who has been silently steering his tea, gaze locked into the cup. -"Now Madame, I know this might sound preposterous to you and I assure you that I mean no offense, but from where I’m from it's much more usual to look for a suspect, a living suspect, than to chase a ghost."

"Couldn't it be that someone is breaking into your house? I mean, supper time seems like a good moment to do it with everyone down in the dining room and furniture might be heavy but never underestimate human potential... or human association, several people working together could surely move some heavy things, and something like poisoning the dogs who are trying to hunt one down sounds entirely possible too.
"Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"His carriage overturned," Madame Dulapont says, her voice going abruptly cold as she frowns slightly at François. "A broken wheel was the cause, I believe. The pathways of this city are narrow, and the coach fell into the river. My husband drowned before rescuers could get to him."

To Paul, she replies: "If you find this to be the work of a living person, reverend, then bring the culprit before me and give me conclusive proof of their guilt. I will not mind. And it will be easier to present some miserable thief with justice than a specter."
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

"Yes, I do remember now. Sorry to have brought this up, aunt Marite." François sips the last of his tea thoughtfully.

"So as I gather we are to stay for the night, we'll probably experience this haunting ourselves none-too soon. Might I suggest that we inspect the guest rooms first?" Here he gestures around at the other guests. "Or do any of you gentlemen, and of course the Fräulein, have any more questions ?"
InVinoVeritas
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by InVinoVeritas »

Ranjan swallows, not entirely sure what to make of things. "Ah, no, of course not, madame. You indeed have been most helpful. The guest rooms! That is a good idea."

He turns toward the stairwell, wondering what he has gotten himself into.
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

Throughout the ongoing questions-and-answers routine, Brida has been balancing herself on the rear legs of her chair with a bored look. However when Francois' latest remark creates an opening, she lifts her head.

"Got rats in the house?", she asks suddenly.

Her hawk-eyes lock fixedly on Mrs Dulapont, intent on catching her reaction.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"This is Richemulot," Mrs. Dulapont answers quietly. "There are rats in every house, no matter what anyone says. And I would rather you wait here until after dinner," she adds. "It is a matter of ... protocol." The old lady makes an elegant gesture to François and smiles. "I can hardly send family up to inspect my old guest rooms on an empty stomach, now can I?"
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"I hate rats, Brida stresses to no one in particular. Awright, dinner sounds good. Bring in them fancy napkins."
InVinoVeritas
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by InVinoVeritas »

Course of action in hand, Ranjan's eyes twinkle.

"Ah, yes, dinner would be most welcome! Can't chase after spirits on an empty stomach, that is for certain."
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

"Of course, Dinner should be fine. But please let me bring my things to my chamber first "--here Francois points to his saddlebags --" and I should also wash the dust of the road off before joining you all for dinner"
Last edited by The Giamarga on Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rolling her eyes, Brida grumbles something about "fancy-schmancy glamor boys".
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The ornate parlour clock quietly tic-tacs.

Brida trifles with her empty cup, wondering what's for dinner.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rather than a fancy meal, the next thing to enter the room are the sound of voices from outside: "Look, mother said you had to come, so stop your belly-aching!"

The next moment, the door flies open as Jeremy Dulapont applies entirely too much force to it. The tall, angry-looking young man comes marching into the room, dragging a noticeably shorter man behind him by the wrist.

The second man is clearly related to Jeremy and madame Dulapont. He looks older than Jeremy, though not yet as old as the lady. He wears the finery of a Richemuloise nobleman, but his frame is gaunt, emaciated; the finery which hangs on him looks as if it's a size too large. Grey hair hangs listlessly onto stooped shoulders, and the man's eyes blink fearfully against the light.

"Ah..." the old man stammers. "We have ... guests? L-lovely. So lovely. I, I'm afraid I hadn't heard the, ah, doorbell ..."

"Traven," madame Dulapont gently calls to the grey-haired man. "These kind people are here to see about the haunting."

'Traven' blinks his eyes again, looking for all the world like a man-sized mole, abruptly puled into the light of day. "Ah ... Yes?" he manages. "Lovely. I am sure they will be a, a, ah ... I am sure they will be very helpful. Sh-should I go see whether they're ready yet in the kitchen ...?"

"Traven," madame Dulapont says again, her voice gentle and somehow sad. "Surely you recognize cousin François ...?"

"C-cousin!" Traven startles, seeming to notice François for the first time. "Oh, my. I almost - almost did not recognize you. My, how you've grown!"

"Dear guests," madame Dulapont says, "allow me to introduce Traven Dulapont. My son."

"Pl-pleased to make your acquaintance," Traven says once prompted, and stands there watching you all nervously, dry-washing his hands.