Mists over the Musarde, Chapter Four

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wat makes certain that the group full waterskins and some food for the night.

Preparations are finished.

The party sets out on its expedition.
The way is somewhat familiar to you all by now, and you make good time, despite occasionally being held up by nagging thornbushes or tripping on loose stones that go unseen in the shadowy illumination of the deep woods.

The air has cooled just a bit from the heat of mid-day, but it's still warm and humid enough to make all of you damp with sweat by the time you've crossed the woods and reached the desolation of the clearing that surrounds Wolutha's lair.
Standing at the southern edge of the circular waste-ground, you can all [except for Alain, of course] see the tumbledown stronghold waiting for you, atop the bald hill in the center of the clearing. By now, the shadows of evening have grown long and the sun has sunk halfway into the treeline to your left, a spreading its golden aura over the green summer foliage.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg12 ... 1ac220.jpg
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Alain thinking to himself that it's good he's not a wizard or he would not have spells ready to possibly help the group with on this excursion as puts on his gear(1) .

1.Standard Load Gear

P.S. Wat can use his crossbow .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

"I am not sure how much fire will hurt her," he tells Norzak. "She has a taste for fiery attacks herself." He unconsciously rubs his shoulder where her gout of flame had scorched him through his armor. "The tanglefoot bag, though, that might be useful if we are runnning into Van Diecks."

He stops, and gazes as the setting sun. "Morninglord protect us as the darkness falls."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

"You leave Van Dieks to me. I'll use his curse against him and if I am slain, then..."

Jonathan is quiet for a moment.

"I will be able to hurt Van Dieks. My attack could buy us time we need. Prepare your spells for the witch alone."
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wat, still leading Alain by the sleeve, steps up to the edge of the clearing and looks out across the dead grass to the central mound and the brooding ruin atop it.

To no one in particular, he softly voices the question-

''Do you think that She knows we come for her?''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict wipes sweat from his brow with a handkerchief. "It is likely," he responds, "She seems to know much that goes on in her domain. If she is prepared, so are we. That is as best as we can hope for."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Alain steps forward with the aide of Wat ."Come on guys lets get this witch killing party going ."And with that asks Wat to start leading him towards the keep .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

With Wat's aid, the blind man moves towards the Keep while his comrades hesitate.

Perhaps their courage has failed?

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict follows closely behind, his expression waxen and pail. One way or another, this was going to be the end.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Once they arrive at the keep, Norzak tells the others "Awright, Imma cast me spell ta detect tha ghosties so me shadow kinna use it. Then 'es gonna go look aroun' a bit. I wanna go in too an look aroun' see if I can get tha bitch out a hidin."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

His knuckles are white as he clutches his spear and stares at the keep. "If I were Wolutha," he wonders aloud, "Where would I be keeping my remains? <i>Would</i> I even keep them? I found the skull, but I am thinking that was a man's. The only other bones were the children..."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Even as Norzak and his tenebrous twin inflitrate Wolutha's stronghold, the sun slips below the western horizon, and the fading glory of the day gives way to evening twlight. For those of you with merely human eyes: shadows deepen and blur, colors fade; and the world becomes dimmer, though true night has not yet arrived.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Norzak experiences a tugging sensation coming from the northeast tower [the only one still standing its full height- the same one he and his friends had explored and in which they'd first encountered the witch-queen]. His spell has located Wolutha.

A tiny point of light appears in the uppermost window of the tower, and swiftly grows larger as if getting closer to you...

Time is measured in heartbeats as the terrible moment passes:
Jon leaps into a shallow ditch in the courtyard, taking cover.
Wat grabs Alain and throws him to the ground, then leaps on top of the blind man.
Before the rest of you can react, bright flames explode from a point in the midst of the party! A dull roar fills your ears, drowning out a warning cry from someone [Norzak?].

In the wake of the fiery blast, the air is thick with soot and the stink of sulphur.

Norzak screams as he burns like a torch; his jars of alchemists' fire have ignited, adding fuel to the flames engulfing his flailing body. Benn, Cirdan, and Dorgio are all scorched badly, with painful burns all over their exposed skin. Wat lays on top of Alain, unmoving.
Last edited by ewancummins on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Jonathan sees Norzak on fire and moves to put him out by grabbing hand fulls of dirt to douse the flames.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Mein Gott! Take cover!" Bennedict turns towards Wat and Alain, grabbing the old man by the overcoat and dragging his limp form towards the first thing he can see that would protect them from further blasts.