Realms of Dread Chapter Two

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

in the alley near the Marsh Gate-

Blaise, dressed as a laborer, approaches the workers and hails them. As he does so, his eyes adjust to the gloom with preternatural rapidity. He can see that there are four workers, all human men. The fog still hides a few small details, but he can see quite well as it is. The men are busy unloading a small pony cart[ the pony is unhitched and standing in the rear of the alley, stolidly looking on as the men work]. The boxes which the men are handling are built of pine wood and bear no labels or markings. A door in a house that makes up most of the lefthand side of the alley is open. The house within is only dimly lit by a single guttering lamp- but Blaise's witch-eyes let him see clearly enough what is inside: two more men who are busy stacking boxes in an unremarkable looking storeroom.

One of the workers, who seems to be supervising the others or maybe just taking a break, answers Blaise-

''Eh? Well now, what have we here?...''

The man, an rough looking character with a cross-shaped scar on his face, takes a good look at Blaise, squinting in the poor light. He spends a minute or two looking Blaise over, and draws nearer as he does so. After the inspection , he says-

''Hmm, alright, bucko, get to work unloading them crates- and see that you don't drop a one of them. You do a good job and I'll buy you a round at the Frogwife and throw in ...ummmm...three coppers besides. Sound fair to you?''

As this 'job interview' proceeds, Alain and Threan move to take up hidden positions nearby. Alain is suddenly exposed to sight while sneaking into the alleyway, when a patch of clouds drifts aside far overhead and moonbeams illuminate his position for all to see.

The workers tense up and quit working. Suspsicious glances are turned upon Blaise. Then , one of the men says-

''Naw..nor worries, mates...it's just some poor sot. Look at him, stumbling around like that.''

Alain stumbles and reels across the cobbles, doing an excellent impersonation of a drunkard. The workers soon lose interest in him, and return to their task.

Threan remains hidden.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

"Much appreciated, lad," says Blaise. "Times have been tough lately, so I'm happy for a chance to me hands dirty and quaff a pint or two." He gets to work with the boxes, but he lets his gaze linger over the crates, hoping for a glimpse or insight into whatever they might contain. Once inside, he casually glances around, hoping to see a ledger or something with paperwork.

OOC: Spot modifier is only +1.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

in the alley-

While working, Blaise spots a sheet of paper resting atop one of the counters inside the building. It's got writing on it, but he'd have to get closer to read it [he's in the alley, it is inside the storeroom].
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

Archedius shifts a bit nervously. It seems apparent he's anxious about being teleported.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Dun worry, ye ole fart. I won' let Van turn ye into a toad, ye sissy!" Rardi directs her comments to Archedius and grins at him, giving him a wink. "Awright, Inovidil, cast ye spells and let's be off."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

in the courtyard....

The night-mists swirl around Inovidil as she chants her spell of teleportation. The world seems to go all hazy. Each one of of you feels a violent lurch, deep in his bones...

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

over the dark water-

...All of you who had lately been in the courtyard, now find yourselves hanging in air. Twenty feet below your dangling feet is the foggy water of the bay, and perhaps thirty feet away is the massive bulk of Fishgut Rock, crowned at the crest by Delthrin's house, Blackpillars. There is a single light burning in one of the upstairs window, but no other indications of activity within the great old manse....

Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

ewancummins wrote:in the alley-

While working, Blaise spots a sheet of paper resting atop one of the counters inside the building. It's got writing on it, but he'd have to get closer to read it [he's in the alley, it is inside the storeroom].
Blaise says while lifting one of the crates, "So, just point me to where you need to this to go, and I'll lay it down." Once inside, he'll see if he can get a better look.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Inovidil looks around and smiles satisfied as recognizes the place.

"Here we are. Lets get closer and try to figure out a way to get in."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Alain stumbles off into the night, disappointed his cover had been blown. It had been quite some time since he had need of his skills in stealth.

Portraying a drunkard, he makes his way off to a building further down to keep a stationary position and listen if any trouble arises.

*Hide roll coming your way
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"We could really use a rogue with us right now, but I digress, we do our best an ta hell with it. Mebbe a spell to git us o'er ta the house, Van?,"
the dwarf is whispering to the mage as she looks at Delthin's residence. "Else we swim over?"
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Damara

The brash middle aged dwarf thanked the messenger, and held the parchemnet in his hand, scratrching his
bald pate thoughtfully. "Marsember, huh?," he said aloud to noone in particular. Though he was alone in the
smithy, his loud voice reverberated through the shop. Wiping his brow with the back of his charred black glove,
he went to the front of the shop and locked the store, flipping a sign "Out fer a few."

Walking back behind the counter, he slowly unravels the piece of paper. At first he doesn't recognize the handwriting,
then his memory kicks in and he remembers it being of one Rardi Silverhelm, priestess of Lathander! Ain't heard from
'er fer a few moons or more. Ah the good times we 'ad, her, Archedius 'n' me in tha army here. Wunner whut she's doing in
Marsember?

He goes on to read her message:

Hope this message find ye well, Balzar. I be in Marsember first n foremost cuz there were an outbreak of Vampires but I was a bit
late fer that. I fin meself in the Militia of all places and work with some humans, one of which you might know. Yeah it be Archedius,
the ole coot is still alive n kickin. He's our Cap'n and I serve unner 'im no questions asked. I be sendin' ye this message ta ask ye to
come join us, cuz I could use the help of your fine dwarvish axe here, Balzar. There be a nice Temple o tha mornin lord here too, so we kin
go an pray ta him here.

We are workin on a case here bout some sick bastard cutting people's heads off. An I got to go investigate some filthy necromancer.
I look forward to seeing you and working with you. I"ll pass on ye kind words ta Arch.

Rardi Silverhelm

The dwarf scans the message a few times, letting it sink in. On the one hand, I kinna stay here in the smithy an live a boring existence. But I could go over ta Marsember an milady Silverhelm an Archedius our ole commander. I'd follow her anywhere, she really left an impression on me, not counting the fact she is one fine lady dwarf!

"Hey, Ragnar, c'mere, I gots ta talk to ye bout somethin important."

From behind the counter and through the door comes footsteps towards Balzar. "Yeah, what's yer bellyachin awready Balzar?
I be busy with the King's new axe, ye dolt!" Through the door appears Ragnar Hammersmith, master smithy and weaponsmith.

"I gots a message from Rardi, the Silverhelm lass. As ye recall she is a fine lass an priestess o the mornin lord, Lathander."
This he says with a big amount of pride, chest puffing out. "So she be askin me ta come help her in Cormyr, Marsember to be precise.
I got me a big urge ta go help lady Silverhelm. She inspired me when we was tagether in tha army.
I guess I be sayin I be leavin on the morrow to Marsember. I be seeing yer soon, Ragnar." Balzar removes his apron and gloves, laying
them on the counter. Leaving the smithy he hurries to his room at the Inn and gathers his belognings. Satisfied he has everything, he
pays his bill and heads to the center of town, booking a ride on a caravan to Marsember. A few days later he enters the city of Marsember
and finds lodgings at a local Inn, the Old Shell Inn late in the evening. Paying his room he relaxes and relsishes meeting with
miss Silverhelm in the morning!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Inovidil sighs.

"If we can get closer we may try to found out how the secret door opens. Or It's dangerous to try to teleport us inside since I have never been there and the spell may fail or we could get to the rock. So I say go and have a closer look."

With she flies closer to the rock and starts searching for any sign of the hidden door or any mechanism that can open one.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

"I've gotten rather good at climbing and sneaking about despite what my appearence would tell you. Rather handy with locks..."

He lets his voice trail off as Inovidil flies upwards.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Well, here goes nothin, Arch," Rardi says a bit worried as she lifts off the ground uncomforatbly. "Who-a-a! This feelin o weightlessness is diconcertin to say the least. Only a mage would invent a spell like this, for the love o Lathander. All right, steady, steady and I'm balanced now."

Once she gets the hang of it, she looks at Archedius "So ye say ye learned some new tricks? Why ain I serprised with that admission. All right, just let yerslef float up almost as if yer swimmin. Give yerself a few seconds then it'll be fine. Let's follow Inovidil o'er there."

When Archedius is ready and next to her, she grips his hand. "Ready?"