The Eye of Anubis: Book Twelve

Online roleplaying at the Café
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

Pa-ZING!--click-click-KABLAM--

Let it not be said about Otto that he wasn't tenacious. But when one's primary nemesis is so enshrouded in mists as to be untargetable by conventional means, and when one has a perfectly good shot at a *secondary* nemesis who happens to be surrounded by arcane tentacles...well.

It was practically *sensible.*

Zipping into the balcony hallway and over James' head; stopping at R23 with my back against the ceiling. 32 to hit the guy, for 39 regular damage and 2 electricity damage.
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Andre saw the spellwraith from his little hidey hole under the balcony. Now that he wasn't feeling like immediately getting re-acquainted with his internal organs was an immediate concern, it was time to perhaps do something about the spectral annoyances. After a brief prayer, he gestured outwards, a shimmering bolt of moonlight racing forth. And after that, he did the NOT so sensible thing, beginning to advance.

OOC:Moon Bolt on the Spellwraith Fire. DC19 will save, or it is helpless for 1d4 rounds, and afterwards at a -2 to attack and will saves for 1 minute. Then advancing to V on the same column, if i will be out of the range of the black tentacles.
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Grand Opera Nationale, Port-a-Lucine, Dementlieu
September 18th, 761, 2:45 PM; Day 184 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image

PC Actions
Kuzan: Is Stunned
Charles: Double-moves back into the action, along with Sarari.
Tomas: Lays on Hands for 36 HP.
Lia: Casts Evard's Black Tentacles on James. He ignores the grapple due to Freedom of Movement
Andre: Moon Bolts Fire-Wraith, which fails the save and is thus Helpless for the next 3 rounds.
Otto: Attacks James, hitting and dealing 41 damage.
Sascha: Whiffs the Incorporeal Wraith

Professor Carter struggled with the shade, rolling on the floor of the balcony and trying to keep a grip on the unnatural thing. Andre was no great warrior, and neither was his shadow, but then again neither was Professor Carter, and so it became a combat not of skill and training, but of determination and raw anger.

The shadowy image flickered in and out of sight, wriggling like a live fish beneath Carter's hands. The professor managed to get a hand around the shadow's throat, pulling out the Hazlani knife and trying to stab at the shade's abdomen. It was a tactic that met with negligible success, Carter getting only a low cut as the shade did its best to get out of the man's grip.

Emerald pits flashed through the shadow, the flickering entity focusing its will on Carter, causing a spell to ram into his psyche. An unpleasant spell, a shredding of the mind that would leave Carter not more than a vegetable. But ultimately, an unsuccessful spell, as Professor Carter shook his head clear of the arcane cobwebs and held onto the shade.

Carter rolls a natural 20 on his grapple maintaining roll... which is opposed by a natural 20 on Shadow Andre's grapple roll (I have no words). Carter has the higher modifier and so wins, and then proceeds to slash at Shadow-Andre with his Kukri (Ad Hoc Ruling: Since Carter is grappling Shadow-Andre, I've reduced the Miss Chance on the Invisibility to 20% instead of 50%). Three attacks, of which one hits, for 6 damage (Carter has really bad melee attacks).

Sarari moves along with Charles back into the field of battle.

Dieter has no targets, so he zips across the room to the opposite balcony and shoots at the Spell-Wraith (Fire). Makes the incorporeality chance, fails to hit AC.

Shadow-Andre tries to cast Feeblemind onto Carter. Makes the Concentration check, Carter must make a DC 21 Will Save or be Feebleminded, and takes a -4 penalty to that save as an Arcane Caster. Spends an Inspiration Point to boost his save, and makes the save on the nose.

================================================
Whistler wrote:Pa-ZING!--click-click-KABLAM--

Let it not be said about Otto that he wasn't tenacious. But when one's primary nemesis is so enshrouded in mists as to be untargetable by conventional means, and when one has a perfectly good shot at a *secondary* nemesis who happens to be surrounded by arcane tentacles...well.

It was practically *sensible.*

James snatched the crossbow back, getting a solid grip with his teeth onto the stock of the weapon, then transferring it to his hands and spitting briefly, largely ignored and largely ignoring the sudden hideous tentacles that sprouted around him. They were an annoyance, but nothing more.

Then Otto shot him.

"Gyah!" The jackalwere yelped as the bullet hit him, passing through his chest, though without hitting any major organs. James snarled, bringing up the weapon at Otto. "You just don't know when to give up, snow-boy."

Srinng! Srinng! The sleek, Lamordian-made crossbow thre slivers of metallic organ failure at Otto. Srinng! Srinng!

James manages to snatch his crossbow back, wants to shoot Lia, but settles for Otto instead, full-attacking with Rapid Shot for four attacks. James hits twice for 31 and 30 damage respectively.

"Let me ask you a question." Cavendish's voice echoed through the mists. They hung heavy in the air, a curtain of grey fog that gave no sign of what else was within that place, though you knew that behind them lay the Eye, the hostages, and most of all, Cavendish. "Was it worth it?"

"Pestilencia!" The latest invocation sapped your limbs, sapped your strength, caused your body to shake as if in an epileptic fit. Weakness flowed through your body, stealing away your speed, your reflexes, ready to leave you nothing but a quivern corpse.

"You'd traveled so far... suffered so much, grieved so much. You could've ran, turned back, but instead you just kept on coming." Cavendish said softly, his voice coming from nowhere and from everywhere at once. "And for what? That I might ascend victorious, becoming a living god."

"Fools."

Spell-Wraith (Fire) is helpless. Spell-Wraith (Electricity) scoots away from Sascha with a 5-foot step and casts Stolen Breath at Tomas, which as before means you are Sickened until you take a Full-Round Action to catch your breath.

Fleshshiver, Part Two: Kuzan must make a DC 26 Fortitude Save or take 49 damage and be Nauseated for 4 rounds.

Cavendish casts Plague on Kuzan, Tomas, and Sascha. You must make a DC 27 Fortitude Save or contract the Shakes, taking 6 Dexterity Damage. Furthermore, if you contract the Shakes, you will have to make a further DC 27 Fortitude Save each round or else suffer 1d8 Dex damage, until you make two Fort saves in a row.

Victory Condition: Kill John Lancaster Cavendish within 40 feet of the Eye of Anubis OR kill or rout all enemies, regardless of location.

Loss Condition: If Tomas, Andre, Sascha, or Kuzan are killed within 40 feet of the Eye of Anubis OR you are all killed or routed, regardless of location.

Map Notes:
  • Terrain: The seating area is Difficult Terrain.

Elevation and Stairs: The Orchestra Pit is 5 feet below floor level. The Opera Stage is 10 feet above floor level. All balconies are 25 feet above floor level. Stairs cost double movement, and let you go up or down 5 feet per square of stairs passed.

Darkness: The Opera House is currently extremely dark, and so follow simplified Darkness rules.

• Characters in Shadowy Darkness (the lightest kind) have Concealment, that is, attacks against them have a 20% miss chance. Shadowy Darkness is non-magical, and is pierced by Ebon Eyes, Darkvision, and True Seeing.

Characters in Total Darkness (the medium kind) have Total Concealment, that is, attacks against them have a 50% miss chance and you don't know where they are (basically, they're invisible to you). Total Darkness is non-magical, and is pierced by Darkvision and True Seeing.

[HOUSE RULE] In the interests of reducing housekeeping, I am removing the range-limits on Darkvision and Ebon Eyes. Both of those are as far as your normal vision (subject to things like walls in the way). True Seeing is still capped at 120 ft., however (because it's a much more powerful ability)

Exits: On the first floor, you can escape by reaching squares AI11/AI12/AI13. On the second floor, you can escape by reaching squares AM6/AM7 or squares AM17/AM18.

Obscuring Mist: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/obscuringMist.htm

Fire: Anyone passing through a square with fire takes 10 fire damage. Anyone flying through a square with fire at an altitude of at least 20 feet takes 5 poison damage from smoke instead.

Spiritwall:
    One side of the wall, selected by you, emits a low groaning that causes creatures within 60 feet of that side to make a Will save or become frightened and flee for 1 round. Any living creature that merely touches the wall takes 1d10 points of damage as its life force is disrupted. A living creature passing through the wall takes 1d10 points of damage, as above, and must make a Fortitude save or gain one negative level.

The barrier is semimaterial and opaque, providing cover and total concealment against physical attacks, and it blocks line of effect for magical effects (including spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities)

In interest of book-keeping, I'll be splitting up the HP and immediate status effects apart from the buffs. HP and status effects go here, buffs and some relevant book-keeping information go later (such as who has SR and who has Miss chances that you need to roll)

Kuzan: 77/96+24 HP, Stalwart Pact Activated, Sickened, Stunned
Charles: 63/[63]68+24 HP, One Negative Level, Invisible
Tomas: 89/129+12 HP, Inspire Greatness, Stalwart Pact Activated
Andre: 47+2/39+24 HP, Stalwart Pact Activated
Lia: 48+30/51+36 HP, Stalwart Pact Activated
Otto: 9/68+24 HP, Stalwart Pact Activated
Sascha: 101/108+36 HP, Inspire Greatness (HP), Rage, Sickened,

Carter: 68+30/[45]57 HP+24, -1 Constitution, Sickened, Stalwart Pact Activated
Dieter: 46+30/60+14 HP, Stalwart Pact Activated
Sarari: 61+30/70+12 HP, Stalwart Pact Activated

Hostage of Drama: 4/20 HP
Hostage of Dancing: 4/20 HP
Hostage of Song: 4/20 HP
Hostage of Music: 4/20 HP

John Lancaster Cavendish:
James Blake: -79 HP
Schrodinger: -145 HP, DEAD
Cruor, Greater Blood Elemental: -188 HP
Shadow Andre: -19 HP

Spell Wraith (Fire): Helpless (3 rounds)
Spell Wraith (Cold): -78 HP, DEAD
Spell Wraith (Acid): -71 HP, DEAD
Spell Wraith (Electricity): -36 HP

Buffs

Kuzan: Stalwart Pact, True Seeing, Death Ward, Spell Immunity (Blindness/Deafness, Sound Lance, Spiritual Weapon), Haste, Hide From Undead (DC 17), Darkvision, Blur, Mass Bear's Endurance (+4 Con), Mass Conviction
Charles: Stalwart Pact, Mass Fly, Greater Invisibility, Glibness, Haste, Good Hope, Hide From Undead (DC 17), Blur, Ventriloquism, Message, Mass Bear's Endurance (+4 Con), Mass Conviction, Resist Energy (Fire 10), Protection from Negative Energy [Scroll]
Tomas: Stalwart Pact, Mass Fly, Haste, Blur, Mass Bear's Endurance (+2 Con), Rhino's Elixer, Divine Weapon, Protection from Negative Energy [Scroll]
Andre: Stalwart Pact, Mass Fly, Haste, Good Hope, Mass Bear's Endurance (+4 Con), Mass Conviction, Amulet of Tears, Protection from Negative Energy [Scroll]
Lia: Superior Resistance, Mass Fly, Stalwart Pact, Greater Mage Armor, Haste, Good Hope, See Invisibility, False Life, Expeditious Retreat, Shield, Mass Bear's Endurance (+4 Con), Bite of the Weretiger (+6) [Scroll] Contingent Energy Resistance [Scroll], Mass Conviction, Stoneskin [Scroll], Protection from Negative Energy [Scroll], Ebon Eyes [Scroll],
Grimmric: Imbue with Spell Ability
Otto: Stalwart Pact, Mass Fly, Haste, Good Hope, Mass Bear's Endurance (+4 Con), Mass Conviction, Protection from Negative Energy [Scroll]
Sascha: Death Ward [Scroll], Haste, Blur, Silverbeard, Mass Bear's Endurance (+2 Con), Mass Conviction
Carter: Stalwart Pact, Mass Fly, Death Ward [Scroll], Arcane Sight, Blur, Haste, Good Hope, Hide From Undead (DC 17), Owl's Wisdom, Mass Bear's Endurance (+4 Con), Mass Conviction
Dieter: Stalwart Pact, Mass Fly, Death Ward [Scroll], Displacement, Haste, Good Hope, Mass Bear's Endurance (+4 Con), Mass Conviction
Sarari: Stalwart Pact, Mass Fly, Haste, Good Hope, Mass Bear's Endurance (+2 Con), Mass Conviction, Protection from Negative Energy [Scroll]

John Lancaster Cavendish: SR 24, Entropic Shield (20% Miss Chance vs. Ranged Attacks), Fortification (50% Chance to lose a Critical or Sneak attack), 15 Active Spells
James Blake: 13 Active Spells
Shadow Andre: 7 Active Spells

Spell Wraith (Fire): Incorporeal (50% Miss Chance), 2 Active Spells
Spell Wraith (Electricity): Incorporeal (50% Miss Chance), 2 Active Spells
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

Tomas takes a swipe at the electric wraith. Hitting an electric wraith with electricity is a BAD PLAN, and Tomas realizes this a second later as his masterful stroke does absolutely nothing. And then Sascha...

"Sascha!" Tomas shouts, running over towards his friend, and damn the torpedoes while we're at it, just sort of...trying to half cover the warrior's body with his own shield. It's not very effective, but it's all Tomas can think to do as he looks on, horrified.

(OOC: Make the fort check. Get an awesome crit that still misses. Sorry for being salty, but it was a really, really good roll.

Move to H13.)
Last edited by DocBeard on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

[OOC: 23 on the fort save - ouch]
"And for what? That I might ascend victorious, becoming a living god."
"Over my dead body" Sascha grunts, ignoring the weakness spreading through his limbs. With grim purpose the Knight strides forward and grasps the wood of the stage, splintering it under his gauntlets as he pulls himself hand over hand upwards.

Hauling himself over the lip Sascha watches the ebbing and flowing mist with venom filled eyes.

"So this is the face of true evil. Evil that seeks elevation through the pain and suffering of others. Evil who toys with life as if it were a personal plaything. Evil that lurks unchecked through the centuries, waiting for another fool to let it loose!"

The Knight scans the mists for a moment before continuing "Well no more will this evil be allowed to exist. I follow the path of redemption, I stand for right and justice and I will allow this no longer. Your demon and your power dies now Cavendish. I may not have the magic to do so, but I do have a voice!"

So saying he throws back his head and calls in a ringing voice that carrie across the open space of the building.

"Beherith, lord of Shadows, be revealed.
Lord of Darkness, be illuminated.
A petitioner calls, a Pact is offered."

"In your servants names, I call thee,
By word of Ronove, by word of Marchosias.

"With the blood in my veins,
I entice thee, come Dark One.

"Pact and Pledge in one" he drawls, slowly running a finger along the edge of his sword, before abruptedly turning it around and placing the point against his ribcage. "Time to take your demon back to hell."

[OOC: Climb: 21 to get on the stage to G13 then a move action to invoke the pact.

Ok Sascha will kill himself to take Beherith out by doing a fullr ound Coup de gras on himself and voluntarily flunking the Fort Save. BUT Cavvy aint goign to be happy so anything anyone can do to keep Sascha alive long enoguh to kill himself :P will be greatly appreciated.]
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Lia flinches when she hears Sascha's words, and a low sound of pain passes her tiger's fangs. For a moment, her head hangs low on her chest, then she ... sighs.

"Gloves come off, then," she rumbles, one hand dipping into her pocket. When it comes out, something small is clutched in her claw, and her eyes blaze with anger. "Faer Anvo Jo Lin. I offer a battleside bargain. Two items of power for services rendered. Come to me if you can."

(OOC: Using my move action to summon Thorn. I can fly over to Kuzan's position, but I can't cast anything even if I get there. And it seems that this is crunch time ...)
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Did any of those inside know what happened beyond the walls of the Grand Opera Nationale, they may have noticed an odd thing. The grey mists which now covered the Opera House moved. Just a little, but they shifted.

Time passed.

Again, the Mists moved, reacting or acting it could not be said, but they moved for a moment.

More time passed.

A third time, the Mists moved, rising from their rest. This time, they moved a little more, the fog swirling and changing in the darkness.

Then silence.

===============================================
"Gloves come off, then," she rumbles, one hand dipping into her pocket. When it comes out, something small is clutched in her claw, and her eyes blaze with anger. "Faer Anvo Jo Lin. I offer a battleside bargain. Two items of power for services rendered. Come to me if you can."
The little faerie rock, held from Barovia, glowed white-hot in the sorceress-beast's hand. Then, without a sound, the inscribed words faded from the stone.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Useless," Lia spits. "Dammit! Go, please."

This latter command is apparently aimed at Grimmric, who flies out of her hair and flies back up to the corridor currently filled with writhing tentacles.

The wizard spits another curse, then zips forward a distance, cuts across a diagonal and comes to a halt near Sascha and Tomas, with Kuzan to the right of her. "Fool," she says to Sascha, her voice sad. "Had to be a hero, didn't you?"

Somewhere behind her, Grimmric again clings to Otto, chittering his shrill commands while holding the Lamordian's hair. Again, a feeling of wellness envelops the gunman ...

(OOC: Trading my standard action for move. Moving to J13 while avoiding fires and the Spiritwall. Will save against the Spiritwall's fear effect: 30.

Grimmric flies to Otto and uses his last imbued Cure Light Wounds on Otto for 13 hp's worth. That the last he had, so I recommend you either get under cover or hit James with the equivalent of a tactical nuke, Whistler.)
Cronax
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cronax »

Kuzan uses the Headband of Conscious Effort and rolls a 2 against the Fleshriver... and succeeds (This guy's concencentration is truly obscene)

Makes the Plague Save with a 28.

Move Action to draw a Scroll of Mass Cure Moderate

Swift Action to blow the last ring of mystic healing charge

Standard Action to Mobile Spellcasting to run by the helpless wraith and up the stairs.
Using the scroll H14. then ending the movement at H17.
Targeting himself, Sascha, Tomas, Lia and Spellwraith Electricity (Made the miss chance with a 53)
Heals/Damage: 2d8(9)+2d6(8)+11 = 28 (DC 19 Will save for Half)
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Hurtling forward and resolutely not letting himself think about fleeing from combat, deserting one's comrades, the glorious history of the Martels...

Oh, who is he kidding? Charles isn't thinking about anything other than that. And what he can do to Ramsey that will be remotely effective.

It's not very glorious, but it may be useful.

He hears Sascha invoke the pact and wonders to himself if that is how it will end...with the Vos knight dead and the world saved. (Of course, they'll still have to catch Ramsey and deal with him, but at least this "living god" idea will have been put to bed permanently.) And then he wonders, with a little thrill of fear, what exactly happens when two people have made the pact and a pledge is sacrificed...

Landing at the edge of the stage, he mutters "Nego" and points to where memory tells him the ritual circle was centered, hoping to clear the fog and perhaps even discomfit Ramsey a bit.

Move to H12 and cast an area dispel magic centered on the point B/C 11/12. Check results are 30, 24, 17, 30, so that's one of the two obscuring mists and Cavenram's second buff, whatever that may be.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Andre made a sharp intake of breath at hearing Sascha's words, unable to tell if he was doing something very right, or very wrong. Either way, Andre began to gesture, trying to weave together something to bring down the unnatural fog that surrounded the "altar", though he doubted it would be all that effective...still, there was always the longshot chance. Unfortunately, Escler's theory of arcaniform interaction held true, and the spells held.

"Otto..jackalweres tend to have a congenital defect leading to bone tissue being replaced with cartilage to facilitate shapeshifting. Aim your shot right, and it WILL hurt.." It wasn't much...but it might give Otto a damn good chance.

OOC:Targeted dispel on the obscuring mists, with a 15 on the dispel check for a nope, not nearly enough.Then Dark Knowledge Foe on our crossbow wielding sniper. 33=+2d6 to weapon damage against James.
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

As useful as Andre's advice might have been under normal circumstances, it was not *quite* as useful to a man who had currently been shot twice in the gut. Otto darted through the balcony door, zipping a few feet over Dieter's head before realizing that the mercenary was there--then hovering for half a second with a low whisper in Lamordian.

"I'm healing up; back in a jiff. Jackalwere with crossbow in the corridor, forty feet to your left. Probably will follow me to take a shot: might run down to this door, might pop out on the other balcony. Likely doesn't expect you--give 'im hell."

With that, the gunsmith backflipped under the balcony, digging out a potion from his vest pocket.

Moving to AD21, flattening myself out under the balcony, and using potion #2 to heal 23 damage.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Grand Opera Nationale, Port-a-Lucine, Dementlieu
September 18th, 761, 2:45 PM; Day 184 of the Menetnashte Expedition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image

PC Actions
Kuzan: Heals self, Sascha, Tomas, Lia for 28, hits SWE for 14.
Charles: Casts a Dispel, removing part of the Obscuring Mist and one of Cav's buffs.
Tomas: Whiffs and moves.
Lia: Tries to summon Thorn, fails. Grimmric heals Otto for 13.
Andre: Tries to Dispel an Obscuring Mists, Dark Knowledges James for +2d6 damage.
Otto: Runs away and heals.
Sascha: Upends the game.

"You..." Professor Carter said softly, stabbing his knife into the unwholesome shade. Its curved blade was ill-suited for stabbing, but it did the job.

"Will..." Something viscuous, like blood but not quite like blood, flowed. It would take a while, and it would be difficult, but Carter could kill it.

"Not..." The creature wriggled beneath him, a parody of man that the Beherit had forged from a man's shadow. Words of power died on its lips, the shadow unable to maintain even the most basic concentration.

"Escape!"

Grapple-Maintenance, Carter gets a 28 versus Shadow-Andre's 12. Carter then proceeds to full attack Shadow-Andre with his Kukri again. Attacks three times, hits once for 5 damage.

Shadow Andre tries to cast Suggestion at Carter. Then rolls a natural one on his concentration check.

Whistler wrote:"I'm healing up; back in a jiff. Jackalwere with crossbow in the corridor, forty feet to your left. Probably will follow me to take a shot: might run down to this door, might pop out on the other balcony. Likely doesn't expect you--give 'im hell."
"Sure thing Ot." Dieter said with a fierce grin, reloading his rifle and making through the door. He set himself up in a nice position, kneeling, rifle readied and aimed, just waiting for the jackalwere to pass through the wall of tentacles that Lia had wrought. There was a flicker of movement...

CRAAAACK!

"Gyargh!"

The bullet smashed through James's upper body, avoiding the aorta only by a smidgeon. Red blood flowed freely, even as the faerie-flesh healed quickly in the absence of cold iron. Still, from the sounds of it, the collarbone had been broken, and James Blake snarled in fury.

"How many times do I need to shoot you people?" James yelled, barely aiming the crossbow bolt that tore into Dieter's body, slamming into the youth's body and staying there, a shard of wood that must have been unimaginably painful. "Just stand still and die already!"

Dieter readies an action to shot James once he emerges from the tentacles. James is flat-footed. Dieter rolls and confirms a critical. Deals 28-5=23 damage.

James is moderately annoyed and shoots Dieter in return. Hits, and deals 40 damage.

Lostboy wrote:"Pact and Pledge in one" Sascha drawls, slowly running a finger along the edge of his sword, before abruptedly turning it around and placing the point against his ribcage. "Time to take your demon back to hell."
For the first time in all the months you had known him, now was Cavendish truly losing his temper. He had been the man with the plan, occasionally facing minor set-backs but taking them all with good grace. Life-giving rain in Barovia, the duel with Diamabel in Phiraz, the sudden reappearance of Vedarrak in Muhar, all had been taken in stride. Even when his experiment in the Jackal's Ruse self-destructed, he had looked on the bright side of things. But this... was not according to plan.

"What are you doing? What are you doing?" Cavendish's concentration snapped, the illusion wavering and falling still. "Beherit is mine. I know how to tap the power, not you. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

"Smertoluch" Cavendish barked, his voice suddenly gone hoarse. A single tendril of negative energy lashed out from his blood-smeared staff, arcing at Sascha, cold and hungry... and grounding itself harmlessly upon his armor, splashing off the protective enchantments without leaving so much as a mark. Cavendish spoke like a man in a daze, not yet believing, not in his heart of hearts, that this would happen. "You can't do this... You'll die. You can't die. I have to kill you, you can't kill yourself. Stop. STOP!"

"Pyrofuego!" From above Sascha, a column of unholy flames roared down in response to Cavendish's call, hot, fetid, smelling of brimstone and burning hot enough to slag metal. But they weren't enough to kill Sascha.

"Blake! Shade! Schrodinger! Stop him! Do something!" Cavendish's grip on the quarterstaff was tight enough that you could hear the wood splintering. His words tumbled out quickly now, stumbling over themselves as the thoughts flew too quickly within Cavendish's mind, the prospect of ruin dancing in front of his eyes. "Stop him! He can't be allowed to kill himself. Blake! Shoot him quickly! Stop him! SOMEONE KILL HIM!"

Sarari moves and shoots the Spell-Wraith (Electricity), and fails her Miss Chance. That thing is leading a charmed life.

Spell-Wraith (Fire) is still helpless. Spell-Wraith (Electricity) fires a Lesser Orb of Lightning at Sascha. Misses the touch attack, though. So much for Charmed Life.

Cavendish panics, and throws a Quickened, Maximized Slashing Darkness at Sascha, which the Death Ward negates completely as it's negative energy damage, and then throws a Maximized, Fell-Drain Flame Strike centered on H/I 12/13. Lia, Tomas, Sascha, and Charles each take 90 Fire and Unholy damage, DC 26 Reflex Save for half, (Charles, recall your Fire Resistance 10 from Sarari). Charles and Lia also take One Negative Level each (the other two are Death-Warded).

Victory Condition: Kill John Lancaster Cavendish within 40 feet of the Eye of Anubis OR kill or rout all enemies, regardless of location.

Loss Condition: If Tomas, Andre, Sascha, or Kuzan are killed within 40 feet of the Eye of Anubis OR you are all killed or routed, regardless of location.

Map Notes:
  • Terrain: The seating area is Difficult Terrain.

Elevation and Stairs: The Orchestra Pit is 5 feet below floor level. The Opera Stage is 10 feet above floor level. All balconies are 25 feet above floor level. Stairs cost double movement, and let you go up or down 5 feet per square of stairs passed.

Darkness: The Opera House is currently extremely dark, and so follow simplified Darkness rules.

• Characters in Shadowy Darkness (the lightest kind) have Concealment, that is, attacks against them have a 20% miss chance. Shadowy Darkness is non-magical, and is pierced by Ebon Eyes, Darkvision, and True Seeing.

Characters in Total Darkness (the medium kind) have Total Concealment, that is, attacks against them have a 50% miss chance and you don't know where they are (basically, they're invisible to you). Total Darkness is non-magical, and is pierced by Darkvision and True Seeing.

[HOUSE RULE] In the interests of reducing housekeeping, I am removing the range-limits on Darkvision and Ebon Eyes. Both of those are as far as your normal vision (subject to things like walls in the way). True Seeing is still capped at 120 ft., however (because it's a much more powerful ability)

Exits: On the first floor, you can escape by reaching squares AI11/AI12/AI13. On the second floor, you can escape by reaching squares AM6/AM7 or squares AM17/AM18.

Obscuring Mist: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/obscuringMist.htm

Fire: Anyone passing through a square with fire takes 10 fire damage. Anyone flying through a square with fire at an altitude of at least 20 feet takes 5 poison damage from smoke instead.

Spiritwall:
    One side of the wall, selected by you, emits a low groaning that causes creatures within 60 feet of that side to make a Will save or become frightened and flee for 1 round. Any living creature that merely touches the wall takes 1d10 points of damage as its life force is disrupted. A living creature passing through the wall takes 1d10 points of damage, as above, and must make a Fortitude save or gain one negative level.

The barrier is semimaterial and opaque, providing cover and total concealment against physical attacks, and it blocks line of effect for magical effects (including spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities)

In interest of book-keeping, I'll be splitting up the HP and immediate status effects apart from the buffs. HP and status effects go here, buffs and some relevant book-keeping information go later (such as who has SR and who has Miss chances that you need to roll)

Kuzan: 105/96+24 HP, Stalwart Pact Activated, Sickened, Stunned
Charles: 76/[82]68+24 HP, Two Negative Levels, Invisible
Tomas: 107/129+12 HP, Inspire Greatness, Stalwart Pact Activated
Andre: 47+2/39+24 HP, Stalwart Pact Activated
Lia: 76+30/51+36 HP, Stalwart Pact Activated
Otto: 45/68+24 HP, Stalwart Pact Activated
Sascha: 129/108+36 HP, Inspire Greatness (HP), Rage, Sickened, -6 Dexterity

Carter: 68+30/[45]57 HP+24, -1 Constitution, Sickened, Stalwart Pact Activated
Dieter: 36/60+14 HP, Stalwart Pact Activated
Sarari: 61+30/70+12 HP, Stalwart Pact Activated

Hostage of Drama: 4/20 HP
Hostage of Dancing: 4/20 HP
Hostage of Song: 4/20 HP
Hostage of Music: 4/20 HP

John Lancaster Cavendish:
James Blake: -93 HP
Schrodinger: -145 HP, DEAD
Cruor, Greater Blood Elemental: -188 HP
Shadow Andre: -24 HP

Spell Wraith (Fire): Helpless (3 rounds)
Spell Wraith (Cold): -78 HP, DEAD
Spell Wraith (Acid): -71 HP, DEAD
Spell Wraith (Electricity): -50 HP

Buffs

Kuzan: Stalwart Pact, True Seeing, Death Ward, Spell Immunity (Blindness/Deafness, Sound Lance, Spiritual Weapon), Haste, Hide From Undead (DC 17), Darkvision, Blur, Mass Bear's Endurance (+4 Con), Mass Conviction
Charles: Stalwart Pact, Mass Fly, Greater Invisibility, Glibness, Haste, Good Hope, Hide From Undead (DC 17), Blur, Ventriloquism, Message, Mass Bear's Endurance (+4 Con), Mass Conviction, Resist Energy (Fire 10), Protection from Negative Energy [Scroll]
Tomas: Stalwart Pact, Mass Fly, Haste, Blur, Mass Bear's Endurance (+2 Con), Rhino's Elixer, Divine Weapon, Protection from Negative Energy [Scroll]
Andre: Stalwart Pact, Mass Fly, Haste, Good Hope, Mass Bear's Endurance (+4 Con), Mass Conviction, Amulet of Tears, Protection from Negative Energy [Scroll]
Lia: Superior Resistance, Mass Fly, Stalwart Pact, Greater Mage Armor, Haste, Good Hope, See Invisibility, False Life, Expeditious Retreat, Shield, Mass Bear's Endurance (+4 Con), Bite of the Weretiger (+6) [Scroll] Contingent Energy Resistance [Scroll], Mass Conviction, Stoneskin [Scroll], Protection from Negative Energy [Scroll], Ebon Eyes [Scroll],
Grimmric: Imbue with Spell Ability
Otto: Stalwart Pact, Mass Fly, Haste, Good Hope, Mass Bear's Endurance (+4 Con), Mass Conviction, Protection from Negative Energy [Scroll]
Sascha: Death Ward [Scroll], Haste, Blur, Silverbeard, Mass Bear's Endurance (+2 Con), Mass Conviction
Carter: Stalwart Pact, Mass Fly, Death Ward [Scroll], Arcane Sight, Blur, Haste, Good Hope, Hide From Undead (DC 17), Owl's Wisdom, Mass Bear's Endurance (+4 Con), Mass Conviction
Dieter: Stalwart Pact, Mass Fly, Death Ward [Scroll], Displacement, Haste, Good Hope, Mass Bear's Endurance (+4 Con), Mass Conviction
Sarari: Stalwart Pact, Mass Fly, Haste, Good Hope, Mass Bear's Endurance (+2 Con), Mass Conviction, Protection from Negative Energy [Scroll]

John Lancaster Cavendish: SR 24, Entropic Shield (20% Miss Chance vs. Ranged Attacks), Fortification (50% Chance to lose a Critical or Sneak attack), 14 Active Spells
James Blake: 13 Active Spells
Shadow Andre: 7 Active Spells

Spell Wraith (Fire): Incorporeal (50% Miss Chance), 2 Active Spells
Spell Wraith (Electricity): Incorporeal (50% Miss Chance), 2 Active Spells
Last edited by NeoTiamat on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

ADDENDUM: Forgot this earlier, but anyone who failed the first Plague Save (just Sascha, I think) must make another DC 27 Fort Save or take an additional 5 Dexterity Damage
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"What is he doing, you ask?" Lia replies, her tone emotionless as she strides forward, closer to her comrades. "He is defeating you."

The wizard raises her hands and mutters the words of a spell: "Moenia Vis!" -- and a shimmering plane of force materializes in front of the little group on the stage.

"He is defeating you!" Lia repeats, her voice rising to a shout. "He has defeated you! You have lost the chance at divinity which you craved, and by your own actions you have lost the chance to be Adrian Ramsey! The Brotherhood will hunt you down even if you escape us - Ramsey is finished! John Lancaster Cavendish has lost to Sascha Dzemianovitch, a true-hearted knight!"

"And may whatever good fate awaits the dead embrace you, sir knight," Lia whispers for Sascha's ears only. "Rest well and easy. You will be remembered for this, if I can help it." The next moment, Lia floats up and away, touching down again near Sarari.

(OOC: Sleight of hand check 12 to obscure the casting of a Wall of Force. The line that touches the ground runs along the border between G and F, running from GF11 to GF13. The wall reaches four squares up into the air. I hope this will at least shield us from attacks coming from the front. Can't do anything about spells coming from above us, now. Lia flies to K17 and takes cover with Sarari from the Electric Spellwraith's inevitable next attack while remaining within healing range. (I hope.))