Realms of Dread [IC] Chapter Three

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

The man becomes noticably frustrated and grabs the thing, "Rardi, it's me damnit! It's Archedius. Why in the Hells aren't you listening to what I'm saying!"
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

The beast stumbles back. "A-arch? How? Okarthu? An I sposed ter be gettin Inovidil out or find, you? Damnit. Yer, yer... ok?"

It moves forward and hugs the man tightly to it's body, not too tightly.
"I.. I be happy more than ye kin think that ye be alive. I'm accused and will probably hang fer the crime of bein responsible fer the death of Delthrin."

Now Rardi goes into detail about what has transpired since she last saw him, leaving nothing out. Once done, she says "I dun think it be a good idea ta be like this here. Ye think Okarthu kin do ta me whut e did ta you? If that be the case, I wanna do it it'll be easier fer me to move around Marsember. Need ta git news ta Inovidil."
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

He whispers to Rardi,

"When I say Okithruu helped me, he has his own morality...he took this man, ate his brain and put mine into the body. For his people such an act is simply a matter of might makes right."

"I...I have been playing the part of the pregnant woman's husband whose name was Toran. I am angry at myself for not realizing how explicit I would have to be with Okithruu. I am not angry at Okithruu because it has done what it thought was best to help us."

"When next you speak to him, be as specific and simple as possible in your language! It does not understand our point of view or morality at all! I have a feeling you're just now understanding what I mean."

Archedius wipes sweat from his brow,

"Threan always bothered me. Maybe it's just the way gnomes are, but he seemed arbitrary and egotistical. No doubt he has an inability to break down a situation justly. Deltherin needed to die and it is only right that a being he was torturing should be the one to do it. The gnome has no sense at all."

"As for me, I'm not leaving this house, this body's wife needs to be protected and deserves to believe her husband is there for her. I would like to leave, but you know how I am Rardi- I will stay here until she and the child dies."

"I'm prepared to spend the rest of my life to honor the memory of the man I basically had killed. I stole his life- the least I can do is live it and protect what he loved."

"I wish you luck in freeing Inovidil. I had started to see her as the daughter I never had, rather if I had had one I would've wished it to be like her. If you need to, please come back here if you need a place to stay. I'm sure I can convince Besmra that you are harmless and a friend."

Archedius kisses Rardi on the forehead and hugs her before climbing out of the cellar.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Ino-

Rask speaks-

''I've come across one of Davos the Bailiff's reports regarding the journal, Ino. If the report can be believed, Delthrin was innocent. The brain eater was the real killer- the monster that your team freed! It all makes sense, I have to admit.

I need you to listen carefully: Rardi has escaped and Archedius is dead. You need to save yourself. Tomorrow morning at the trial you should emphasize that you disagreed with Rardi over the handling of the prisoner. Emphasize that you were following the orders of your immediate superiors. Nothing you say can hurt Rardi worse than her own signed confession.

Whatever you do- don't try and justify Delthrin's death. Claim it was all a huge mistake, but don't call him a villain or say that he deserved his fate. Doing so is exactly what makes Rardi look like a murderer, instead of someone who made a series of bad mistakes. ''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

The beast sighs. "I understand, Archedius, and.... and wish you well." Once the man is gone, the beast returns from whence it came, soon arriving at Okathru's cave.

"Are you ready?" it asks.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:The beast sighs. "I understand, Archedius, and.... and wish you well." Once the man is gone, the beast returns from whence it came, soon arriving at Okathru's cave.

"Are you ready?" it asks.
YES. IT WILL BE AS YOU WISH. NEW BODY FOR YOU. I HELP MY FRIEND.

The mind flayer steps into the range of your darkvision. It holds a gleaming instrument of baroque design, something like a combination of a saw and a scalpel with hoses attached.
Last edited by ewancummins on Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

The beast steps forward, unafraid of what is to happen. I be ready, Okarthu."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The flayer remains almost motionless.

A female elf, clad in green robes, enters the room and kneels before Okithruu. The elf-maid's face is blank and without expression.

NOW I MUST EXTRACT AND CONSUME THE BRAIN OF THIS BEING. THEN WE MAY PROCEED WITH THE TRANSFER, AS YOU HAVE REQUESTED.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Very well. Let it be so, Okarthu. Jess wanna git back to Marsember a.s.a.p, friend. Anythin ye kin fer me items would be appreciated o' course.
Last edited by steveflam on Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

YES. I HELP YOU NOW, ALLY.

Okithruu fastens its tentacles over the face of the elf. The helpless elf begins to struggle, but only for a moment. Then, she becomes very still. A wet slurping sound follows. After less than a minute, the elf girl's body goes totally limp.

BRAIN HAS BEEN CONSUMED. NOW I MUST REMOVE YOUR BRAIN AND IMPLANT. YOU WILL EXPERIENCE UNCONSCIOUNESS.

Rardi slips into a deep sleep....
Last edited by ewancummins on Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The farmhouse-

Archedius/Toran hears 'his' wife calling him-

''Toran? Are you downstairs? What was that? I thought I heard you speaking with someone...''

Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

"Yes, it...it was a tunnelling creature of some kind. I was able to speak with it...think of a large bug on two legs. It was harmless believe it or not and it's gone now."

Archedius in the guise of Toran walks to Besmra and embraces her. "I will gladly die for you and the child. Know this."

Despite the situation, he can't help but feel something strange swell in his chest. He is not the true father of the unborn child, but he will be the father it will know.

The least he can do is teach it to live a better life than he did. By the Red Knights' grace may he not burn in the Hells for the pain he's caused so many in his life.

Archedius/Toran removes the axe from his belt and places it on a nearby table and walks out of the room with his new wife and child...
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Inovidil listens carefully Rask nad nods in agreement.

"I'll do what you said Captain Rask. Will not be difficult for me as is the truth. I will not lie when I'll say that was a mistake, indeed we didn't know that this monster could eat brains! And of course I never said or believed that Delthrin should have such a terrible fate! Nobody should have an end like this. So don't worry Captain, even if they check me with spells they will see that I don't lie. Thank you for your tips."

Inovidil lowers her voice:

"Do you know how Rardi escaped Captain and if she is safe?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Ino's cell
VAN wrote:
Inovidil lowers her voice:

"Do you know how Rardi escaped Captain and if she is safe?"
''I have no idea how she escaped or where she is now, and I don't think the bailiff and his men have, either. She just vanished from her cell. ''

Rask stands up and straightens out his uniform.

''I'm leaving Ironheart here with you. I've got to hurry to make my meeting with the others.''

Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Blaise stands behind Shana as she begins reading through the journal. "You know, Shana," he says almost in a whisper, "thank you for your support back there. Fast thinking. Perhaps when this sorry affair is over, we could strike a more profitable -- and enjoyable -- arrangement. Together, our skills could be ... my, your hair smells terrific."

He scans through the journal entries along with her, a frown deepening on his face. "Well, that's a kick in the face."
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham