Realms of Dread, Chapter Four

Rafael's and Skybolt's Online Campaign
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

...later, in WC-Rask's office at militia HQ

Alain, Blaise and Jamethon have just entered the office. Ironheart stands in one corner of the room, chewing on a hunk of mutton. Rask is behind his desk, finishing a note. The Watch-Captain puts his paper and pen away and looks up at the group. He says,

''Leave is cancelled, gentlemen, I have a mission for the four of you- Ino can be brought in once she's paid her fine and gotten back her book. First , though:
Alain, I am appointing you lieutenant. Jamethon, you'll be sergeant.''

Rask clears his throat and sips some tea from a leather mug.

''Here is the situation: last night about two hours before dawn there has been a break-in at a local orphanage. Three young orphans have gone missing. Our only witness to the break-in, a nightsoil-man who works that street, claims to have seen 'demon-children' climbing up the walls and into the buildings 'just like spiders.' I have a terrible feeling he is telling the truth. I want you four to investigate further. ''
Last edited by ewancummins on Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Shana

Shana has breakfast with the priests and acolytes at Morningmist Hall. After that, she returns the the Old Shell to find that her freinds [and Jamethon] have already left without her. Nelly, the young bargirl, informs her that 'The Captain sent for them, I dunno about what, Mistress Shana.''
Shana has a couple of hours to relax before she must return to Morningmist Hall for her meeting with Thumast Alfane. She disposes of the time as she will, then it's time to go-

Morningmist Hall, shortly before noon

When Shana arrives, she doesn't find Thumast in his office as expected. A wooden tray holding the remains of a half-eaten meal rests on top of the desk. Oddly enough, all of the desk drawers are open. The lower drawer, where he'd kept the coffer, is empty.

Asking around, Shana cannot seem to find anyone who has seen Thumast since he entered his office late last evening, to work on something or other.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Blaise, still looking a little tired from lack of sleep, stifles a yawn and says, "Were there any noises? Maybe a scream or two?"
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Alain, who has by this point taken out a quill and a notebook and has begun jotting down notes, fires out a few questions without looking up from his writing.
"Do we know the night-soil mans name? Perhaps the orphans names as well? Could be another connection between them other than the obvious..."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Inovidil watches her head when enters the room. She studies the cloak for a moment and then says.

"This is a good quality cloak I can enhance her with no problem. I have in mind a spell that can make the one who wears it more resistant to poisons and diseases, have better reflexes and also shield his mind against spells. I just need the necessary spell. As for selling it I'm sure you will do a great job Glim, I'm not so good as merchant but I bet you will."

Inovidil winks at the gnome and continues:

"May I check your spellbook Glim and prepare the spell from there?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Militia HQ
Blaise, still looking a little tired from lack of sleep, stifles a yawn and says, "Were there any noises? Maybe a scream or two?"

''No loud noises reported, Blaise. ''

BigBadQDaddy wrote:Alain...

"Do we know the night-soil mans name? Perhaps the orphans names as well? Could be another connection between them other than the obvious..."
''We not only know his name, it's Tam, but we have him here at headquarters. He's in the dayroom with Sergeant Talbot. You may question him before releasing him, as you like. As for the orphans, yes we have three names: Willem, Hamnet, and Cora. That's two little boys and a young girl. I'm not aware of any connections beyond what's obvious- but you might find more by digging a little. ''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The gnomes' shop

VAN wrote:
Inovidil winks at the gnome and continues:

"May I check your spellbook Glim and prepare the spell from there?"
''Yes, of course. Let's get started. It is very exciting, working with a powerful wizard like you, Ino!''
Glim retrieves his own spellbook, flips to the page with the spell that's needed, and hands it to Inovidil.

''If you'd like to prepare some of the other spells I've got in there, the ones that are familiar to you,feel free to do so. ''

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"I'm glad I can be useful Glim"

Says Inovidil with a big smile. Then she takes the spellbook at her hands as getting something really precious. She passes her fingers through the pages and smiles everytime she recognizes a spell.

"This will be really great Glim, you know very well how a wizard feels without been able to cast spells. You give me the opportunity to use magic again and I cannot describe how happy I'm."

As a prove of her words Inovidil hugs the gnome.

"You are a really great person Glimzine. Thank you very much."

Then she gets comfortable and starts preparing her spells.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

gnome shop

''Sure, Ino- I'm glad to help.''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Baron Ildool's residence

''Yes, I think that half in advance would be acceptable, Master Threan. And yes, to your second proposal, as well.''
Lord Ildool rises.

''If you will excuse me, I must attend to other business, now. I look forward to seeing you in three days' time. Pick up your payment on the way out by asking for the purser. Always a pleasure, Master Threan.''

The gnome returns the compliment, then prepares to leave.

hours later, at the gnome shop

Inovidil has spent the morning crafting. Now, while she takes a short break to eat a light luncheon with Glim, Threan enters.

Glim's brother hands Ino a satchel. Inside are her spellbook and all her magic items.

''I've made a big, fat contract, Ino. I used part of the advance money to pay your fine and thus recover your things from the Baron's men. I don't want any cash repayment, but I'd truly appreciate it if you would give Glim some scrolls of your more potent spells- when you get the chance to make some extras. Of course, we'll need you to stay on and finish the cloak. Good deal for you?''

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana takes one look at the desk, then checks the meal to see which one it is, and heads to the nearest acolyte:

"Master Alfane isn't here for my meeting. His supper is half eaten [assuming the meal was supper...] and his desk has been ransacked. I think we should report it to another priest. Fast!"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Morningmist Hall-

The acolyte nods briskly and rushes off to find a priest.

A search soon begins...

Forty minutes later [it's a big temple] someone cries out-

''I've found something!''

The voice is coming from down one of the dimly lit back hallways...

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Rask's office-

Watch-Captain Rask asks,

''Ironheart, do you have any experience killing the dead, so to speak? Beyond that fight with the ghouls at Blackpillars, I mean.''

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Shana dashes down the hallway (presumeably with a load of other people) to the source of the outcry
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:Shana dashes down the hallway (presumeably with a load of other people) to the source of the outcry
The hallway appears to be a 'service hallway', not a main hall. It is undecorated, in contrast to the public areas of the temple, and only dimly lit. Still, it's rather wide.

At the end of a short branch in the hallway is a heavy wooden door, reinforced with brass bands. One of the acolytes stands near the door, pointing at something on the stone floor...

dark red-brown stains.