Mists over the Musarde, Chapter Five

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Norzak steps forward, clearing his throat before speaking. "Well, uh, I ain't a religious man by nature. I'd just like ta say that I think that Cirdan were a good folk, cept somethin made him go mad. I hope e finds peace in his eternal slumber. May yer soul rest in peace, half elf."

Norzak moves back and makes place for anyone else who wishes to say something.
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

"Cirdan, he was a soul who was always wanting to do his duty. There were times when that duty was causing him great pain, great personal sorrow, yet he always did what he felt was expected of him. In this, I am thinking he followed the vow of his vocation. Cirdan, may your strength in this life be granting you tenacity in the next."

If there is no one else left and nothing else left to be done, Dorgio lowers the tourch onto the bier.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The dry wood quickly catches fire, and soon the bier is wreathed in bright orange flames. Smoke from the burning wood curls up high overhead, only to be whipped away by a sudden wind that tears through the clearing. The trees of the forest shake, leaves falling like tears of green and gold. Cirdan's broken sword gleams dully on his breastplate of battered, black iron. In death his face has relaxed, losing the fierce grimace that Dorgio had first beheld upon opening the demon-faced visor. Now, the half-elf knight's mouth has settled from a beastly grimace into a subtle grin- beatific or mocking, depending on one's perspective.

After a few minutes, the fire reaches Cirdan, and soon the flames and smoke have mostly obscured your view of the dead man. The air takes on a stink of hot iron and roasted flesh, mixed with the more pleasant wood smoke. One may be thankful for the breeze.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn fishes a handkerchief from his pocket, wiping at the corners of his eyes, as he turns away from the bier.

"Let's go see what madness that boy has gotten himself into this time." He says, turning and walking towards the moothouse.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

As Benn enters the Moot-house, he sees that a crowd has gathered around Jon's cot. Most are facing inward, attentions capture by something out of Benn's view. Jon may be in there, but Benn cannot see the boy through all the people. The gathered folk shuffle and nudge, whispering to one another.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Jonathan lies on a cot, a blank look on his face. The boy says nothing but mouths the name Cirdan over and over.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Norzak follows Benn inside and says "Excuse us" every time he moves forward to get to Jon.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Anyone looking at Jon will immediately notice the change: he is several inches taller than he was this morning, his skinny frame has filled out with lean muscle, and his chin and upper lip have sprouted red whiskers! His clothing is too short and tight for him now, and has actually ripped in several places. He has grown from a boy to a man in the course of a single day!

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Wat tells him what has happened to the Boy .

I hope these changes to the boy will not scare these hicks.-Alain thinks to himself .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Dorgio joins the others at Jon's cot. His eyes widen when he sees what has occurred. "Benn, have you ever seen anything like this?" The priest leans in to take a closer look.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Is it cause of tha weasel in him, this growth?," Norzak asks both Benn and Dorgio.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Jonathan speaks, but his voice is deeper and his eyes keep their wide, almost terrified look.

"The knight...Cirdan...did this to me..."

Jonathan repeats the scene again and again. After several minutes of this, Jonathan seems to pull himself out of his trance and looks about the room at the party and the worried moot folk.

"There was still some good in Cirdan. As his mist lords sought to take him away, he gave me the good part of him, so that his heroics could live on."

Jonathan gets out of the cot and stretches his limbs for what feels like the first time.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn puts a hand to the back of the boy's head, checking for a fever.

"He sounds delirious," Benn says, "Though I know of no illness with this effect." He shakes his head at Norzak's question. "I don't believe so. In some of the tales of his...affliction, those with it are said to take on the appearance over time that resembles their alternate form. I've never heard of it happening so dramatically, though, and I always sort of just assumed it was because people who turn into wolves or other beasts had other things to worry about than personal hygiene."

He drops his voice to a whisper for Jon. "No more of that talk, now. The people are frightened enough as it is without mentioning Cirdan."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The locals are mostly staring or pointing at Jon.
You all may pick out comprehensible snatches of speech from the frightened and confused chatter of the crowd:

''What has happened to him! ''

''He is a grown man, now!''
'' How is this possible?''

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Norzak walks over to Jon and looks up at him for the first time, a concerned look on his face. "Hey, laddie, how ye feelin? Wanna go fer a walk?"