Post-apacaloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
LadySoth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Post-apacaloft

Post by LadySoth »

Manofevil, post-apacaloft sounds really interesting! Great job with the writeup! I like how the players will not know exactly which apocalyptic events took place on Earth, so the DM can insert what he/she likes to add to the flavor of the setting.

I am a bit confused however as to the character of the Duke of New York. Aren't you taking the RLoft domains/darklords and reimagining them in a post-apocalyptic setting? So which darklord is the Duke supposed to represent, and which RLoft domain is "New York"? or is this your own, new domain?
~ L A D Y S O T H ~

"I rule out nothing. Nor, I imagine, do you."
"Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside . . . "
"Hail Strahd, Lord of Barovia!"
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

There are no parallels to the current RavenLoft DarkLords. No one is supposed to be Strahd. No one is supposed to be Azalin. No one is supposed to be Soth. The only parameters set for these character will be the ones set in the original properties. The only thing the current RavenLoft will contribute will be the lord/curse/border structure.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Am revisiting this. Enough to resurrect it. May soon add The Texas Chainsaw Massacre to this. Here's hoping. :|

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

I recently came by a collection of the Terminator movies and will hopefully be doing that domain soon. I intend to call it the Land of the Machines.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The extreme 80ness of this world appeals to me, I must admit.

When I posted, some time back, that I wouldn't use the Escape from NY domain, I meant I wouldn't adapt it to Ravenloft. Post-apocaloft is its own cursed Earth setting, though. And it's cool.

8)
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

I had a vision for the Tokyo area of Japan based on the Evangelion anime franchise. It's been commented on that the various versions of the franchise occur in repeat, in some versions of this repeat theory a loop ala Groundhog Day. The Apocaloft domain of Tokyo 3 would be stuck in such a perpetual loop, always ending with an attempt to institute Instrumentality that ends in some fashion or another with a thwarting reset. The darklord would be Gendo Ikari, forever denied the opportunity to be reunited for long with his wife and alienated from his son. Shinji, of course, is the adversary, but more in a psychological sense than in an intentional or physical sense. Shinji always has some ethical objection or anxiety that complicates things for Gendo or causes instrumentality to be rejected. Gendo cannot get rid of his adversary son because a situation always comes along such that Shinji's help is required. If Gendo doesn't seem dark enough to be a lord, imagine a version where his machinations were a lot darker, such as if the sabotaged robot from the rival company had killed a lot of people. Or Gendo was the one that killed Kaji, etc.

Gendo can't close the borders except for instituting instrumentality, which causes a wall of LCL that absorbs anyone that touches it. On the other hand, anyone who enters the domain normally may become part of the loop and have their perceptions warped to its time frame.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Hey, a Post-apocaloft island of terror. I love it!

Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Bump

Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re:

Post by Pizza »

The Lesser Evil wrote:My main questions are about the overall cosmological structures. Some apocalypse scenarioes would rule each other out. (For example, if nukes land anywhere, it's likely they're going to be everywhere). That would make it difficult for you to keep a post nuclear apoc theme limited to only a single domain.

I would tend to think that the Dark Powers could contain radiation if they wished to. The simplest definition of magic might be an occurrence that ignores any existing rules of physics.

However, you could hand wave this all away in a few ways. It was sort of accepted for much of the Cold War that one of the opening NATO moves in a war would be a massive American nuclear strike to create an irradiated belt running north to south across Germany/Italy and Central Europe. It might be that both sides might accept this, and that would be the extent of large scale nuclear weapon use as both sides accepted it would only slow not stop a Soviet invasion of Western Europe. Similarly, EMPs generated by hydrogen detonated in the atmosphere would kill large numbers of people while generating comparatively little long term radiation and leaving most infrastructure in working order. The Soviets mocked this as a “capitalist bomb” because it killed the people without damaging the stuff, and so bomb sides disavowed using such weapons. In a world where that didn’t happen you could still have a deadly nuclear war followed by a nasty conventional war with very little long term radiation.
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

Any potential for a Domain based on the bad Hill Valley we see in Back to the Future 2 where Biff used the sports almanac to take over the town?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

On radiation: I use it as a curse, depending on the level of radiation poisoning. It can be removed with remove curse, not remove disease or lesser restoration (for 5e).
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

I just compiled this for QTR #28 and I added this:

The Fall and Transmutation of the Red Death
The detonation of the atomic weapons at Hiroshima and Nagasaki shook earth to the core at every level and the following Soviet procurement of the ability to create atomic weapons shook it even deeper. Within the space of a few years, The world changed completely and that change reached all the way to the Red Death. Suddenly, mortals no longer feared the dark nearly as much as they feared what most believed was the inevitable coming atomic annihilation. For the first time in its long existence, the Red Death felt something- abject terror. As that which fed it dwindled to almost nothing, The Red Death began to fall dormant as its own fear prevented it from even trying to do something to preserve itself
The Trigger
The first time the world came close to annihilation was called the Cuban Missile crisis. Fear gripped the entire world as all watched the events unfold on television all around the planet. An entire world gripped by fear couldn't help but effect what had once been the Red Death. What awakened, though, was ... different. If anyone noticed what this new entity was or thought to name it, that information has never come to light. Indeed, so few can even be said to know what has happened since, that it may be possible that the Entity is something that no one's even realized exists, yet.

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Re:

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Pizza wrote:
The Lesser Evil wrote:My main questions are about the overall cosmological structures. Some apocalypse scenarioes would rule each other out. (For example, if nukes land anywhere, it's likely they're going to be everywhere). That would make it difficult for you to keep a post nuclear apoc theme limited to only a single domain.

I would tend to think that the Dark Powers could contain radiation if they wished to. The simplest definition of magic might be an occurrence that ignores any existing rules of physics.

However, you could hand wave this all away in a few ways. It was sort of accepted for much of the Cold War that one of the opening NATO moves in a war would be a massive American nuclear strike to create an irradiated belt running north to south across Germany/Italy and Central Europe. It might be that both sides might accept this, and that would be the extent of large scale nuclear weapon use as both sides accepted it would only slow not stop a Soviet invasion of Western Europe. Similarly, EMPs generated by hydrogen detonated in the atmosphere would kill large numbers of people while generating comparatively little long term radiation and leaving most infrastructure in working order. The Soviets mocked this as a “capitalist bomb” because it killed the people without damaging the stuff, and so bomb sides disavowed using such weapons. In a world where that didn’t happen you could still have a deadly nuclear war followed by a nasty conventional war with very little long term radiation.
Side note: Nuclear weapons were not designed to kill by EMP. You are almost describing a neutron bomb (which was indeed described by Brezhnev as a "capitalist bomb"), which creates a high amount of lethal neutron radiation with a minimal blast radius. The neutron flux would kill the inhabitants, then decay away rapidly, leaving most of the infrastructure intact for the incoming forces.
Deaths resulting from an EMP would likely come indirectly from the collapse of electronic infrastructure, since people would be dealing with long-term power blackouts. Those in contact with electrical conductors at the time of the pulse could be hurt, but it would take something extreme to kill just by exposure to electromagnetic fields.
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rucht Lilavivat »

This reminds me a lot of Gothic Earth Eternal, which I developed way back in 2012. It's a modern take on Gothic Earth, and it has all the mechanics worked out for you. I don't know where you want to go with this, but you could use my system if you want. It's out there free for public consumption.

https://archive.org/details/gothic_eart ... 7/mode/2up

Of course, you might have your own vision, which would be great. :D Keep going, let us know about it!
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Codename Requiem -The Strange Fate of Gunnison, Colorado 2004 (Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem)
(PART 1)
TOP SECRET/TASK FORCE EYES ONLY

EYES ONLY

The Gunnison Incident

The Gunnison incident began with something that had never happened before: a genuine ship belonging to (CODENAME PREDATOR see attached documentation) actually crashed in the area of Gunnison CO. in a way that was indisputably verifiable by military air control. As the entire purpose of the Task Force is to investigate, capture, and or defend against (CODENAME PREDATOR see attached documentation), we immediately went into action. Our forces, however, were sadly still investigating in the Antarctic (see file CODENAME: BOUVETØYA) and by the time we were on our way to Gunnison, events were already in motion.
The Task Force was able to verify that a secondary incursion by another ship carrying another subject occurred. It is believed that this second subject destroyed the crashed ship as it was the size of a two story building and vanished without a trace.
The erasure was far too clean and quick for any earth based technology to have done, but more importantly, there was not a sign of a (CODENAME PREDATOR see attached documentation) ship's departure which meant the subject or subjects were still on earth and the only reason they would stay, would be to hunt. Gunnison had a a certain midwestern gun culture to it but not enough to attract the subjects. We were left to speculate what the secondary subject was hunting.
When the Task Force arrived in Gunnison, the town appeared quiet and in good order. Cars travelled the streets, schools and businesses were open, all appeared normal. Some of us set out for the crash sight while others began to hunt the hunter. Computer hacking revealed that local law enforcement had had several reports of missing persons. This was a conundrum. The subjects always left the remains of their kills where they died to boast about their achievements and they tended to leave the weak be. There seemed to be no pattern to the victimology of the disappearances so we were convinced that it was somehow related.
Task Force Trackers infiltrated the sewer system and discovered the remains of several unknown life forms(CODENAME ALIEN see attached documentation). While our follow-up people collected them, the trackers followed the trail to the local power plant where they discovered a subject in direct conflict with some of the unknown life forms. Collateral damage from the fight caused a citywide power outage and Task Force personnel quickly found themselves under siege by the unknown life forms. In all the carnage, the subject was lost.
Task Force personnel were given the order to withdraw as troops from the Colorado Army National Guard arrived to take charge but it was learned later that they were overwhelmed and slaughtered by the unknown life forms.
Intercepted radio transmissions revealed that one Colonel Stevens, presumably the ground commander was staging an air evacuation at the center of town. Local Sheriff Edward Morales began moving locals to the evacuation zone while drone footage revealed a firefight happening at the local hospital. Four civilians managed to reach the roof and fight off several of the unknown life forms before escaping in the helicopter. The subject then appeared on the roof battling a different unknown life form from the others in hand-to-hand combat. (NOTE: Closer examination of the footage afterward led some of the Task Force to theorize that this different creature may have been a combination of the other two.) Whatever the case, the last thing the drone recorded was the arrival of an F-22 Raptor which, rather than a rescue mission, executed a tactical nuclear strike that leveled, or rather was meant to level the entire city to presumably ensure the aliens' deaths. The shock wave causes the fleeing helicopter to crash in a clearing, where the survivors were rescued by the military and later debriefed by members of the Task Force. If they are to be believed, one of the subjects energy weapons was in the helicopter when it crashed. If this is true. Neither it, nor Colonel Stevens have been seen since.
POSTSCRIPT: After the detonation of the tactical nuclear weapon in Gunnison, various agencies of the government took proscribed actions to control the situation. A cover story was spread of a nuclear accident which destroyed the city and the countryside for miles around was evacuated in expectation of radioactive fallout. When there was no fallout of any kind, various government teams including the Task Force were sent in to investigate.
What was discovered was a very large crater where the city had been without a sign of radiation or of the alien creatures. It has been said that it is as if the entire city and everything in it was relocated someplace somehow. Conspiracy theories are running wild and the government is facing serious unrest within the citizenry. Some are calling this the American Chernobyl but they can't explain the lack of radiation. The Task Force continues to investigate but answers are unlikely to be forthcoming for decades to come.
UPDATE: Careful examination of the drone footage just prior to the explosion shows that the subject's last act was to activate it's self destruct device which exploded at almost exactly the same time as the tactical nuclear weapon. The interaction between these two forms of energy may be the explanation for what happened, but with no way of recreating and observing the event, that remains mere conjecture.

EYES ONLY

CODENAME: PREDATOR

The first recorded contact with this alien life form occurred in 1987 when one of them killed a squad of U.S. Special Forces soldiers and then an elite paramilitary team sent to rescue them in Central America. The creature dispatched the team members one by one with its array of weaponry until the leader, one Major Alan "Dutch" Schaefer managed to confront it after making preparations by covering himself in mud to hide his heat signature from the Predator's thermal imaging, and setting up numerous booby traps. Though he managed to disable the creatures cloaking ability, it managed to capture him, and then, in a strange display of honor, it discarded it's mask and electronic weaponry before challenging the Major to a final duel. Physically outmatched, the Major eventually got it into a position allowing him to use one of his traps to crush and mortally wound the creature. It then set off a self-destruct device which the Major managed to escape. The device did, however destroy enough rain forest to cover 300 city blocks. When the Major and an indigenous woman who also survived were questioned, The report was so unbelievable that they were first dismissed as suffering from hallucinations. Further investigation, however, brought evidence to light that, at the very least, lent credence to the reports. As more and more encounters with these creatures occurred, more and more was learned and eventually, the Task Force was formed to investigate, and if necessary defend people from these creatures. This document summarizes what is thus far known about the creatures codenamed PREDATOR.

Appearance:
The creatures are physically distinguished from humans by their greater height, arthropod-like mandibles and long, hair-like appendages on their heads that are set into their skulls resembling "dreadlocks". Their bodies are resilient to damage, capable of recovering from multiple gunshot wounds and radiation doses that would prove fatal to humans Their wounds do, however, require medical attention and they incorporate a portable surgical kit in their armor for this purpose. They are also capable of enduring excruciating pain.
They are much stronger than humans, easily capable of outmatching a conditioned adult human and shattering solid concrete with their bare hands. They are also skilled climbers and will readily move through trees or across rooftops in pursuit of prey. Though capable of surviving exposure in Antarctic temperatures for an extended period of time, it has been observed that they have a preference for hot equatorial climates. Their blood is luminescent phosphor green in color. Their vision operates mainly in the infrared portion of the electromagnetic spectrum; they can easily detect heat differentials in their surroundings but are unable to easily distinguish among objects of the same relative temperature. A creature's bio-mask increases its ability to see in a variety of spectra, ranging from the low infrared to the high ultraviolet, and also filters the ambient heat from the area, allowing them to see things with greater clarity and detail. While they are capable of breathing Earth's atmosphere, they have been seen using breathing masks after losing their helmets. Their observed dietary habits are entirely carnivorous and they have been known to visit slaughterhouses located in the areas they are hunting in.
Throughout their recorded appearances, many variations have been observed. Tribal ornamentation on the forehead has been seen as has brighter skin coloration and a greater number of fangs

Culture and History

The observed culture of these creature apparently revolves around the hunting and stalking of dangerous lifeforms. After making a kill, they typically skin or decapitate the carcass, converting it into a trophy. If immobilized or at the brink of death, a hunter will activate the mass-explosive self-destruct-mechanism in his wristband, honorably erasing any trace of its presence to its prey. It is often alluded to that the reason they hunt is not for sustenance or elimination of threats, but as sportsmanship or rite of passage, as they will normally only attack life forms that have the ability to provide them with a challenge.
There is some evidence that these creatures made contact with early human civilizations such as the Ancient Egyptians, the Khmer Empire, Aztecs, and the Comanche Nation, as well as a unknown culture inhabiting what is now Bouvetøya(see file CODENAME: BOUVETØYA). Upon arriving on Earth, the Predators were worshipped as gods by humans, and they taught many of the civilizations how to build pyramids (an explanation as to why many of these different ancient societies had distinctly similar cultures and architecture), but in return expected sacrifices of humans which, if the data collected in Bouvetøya is correct, were used as hosts for recently encountered unknown life forms from Gunnison, CO.(CODENAME ALIEN see attached documentation).

— the ultimate prey for these creatures. There is evidence that the hunters returned to Bouvetøya every century to consummate the bargain, until at one point in the ritual, the (CODENAME ALIEN see attached documentation).spread out of control, resulting in them detonating a bomb that obliterated the entire civilization. Relations between humans and Predators ceased from that time on; they then, apparently, viewed humans as little more than another quarry to hunt.
The creatures have been discovered to feature prominently in the folklore of certain cultures; some Latin American people refer to the species as "El Diablo que hace trofeos de los hombres" (Spanish for "The Demon who makes trophies of men"), and Jamaican superstition identifies them as demons from the spirit world.
When hunting humans, they normally avoid certain individuals such as children and some adults if they are unarmed, though they have been observed to spare armed ones if they happen to be pregnant or sickly unless they are attacked by them. A human who has managed to kill one or the other of these creatures in single combat, or has fought alongside a hunter is usually spared by the deceased hunter's comrades and given a gift (often a rare or exotic weapon) as a sign of respect.
A surviving eyewitness from Bouvetøya described one of the creatures completing a successful Alien hunt and marking his helmet and forehead with the acidic blood of his kill. These creatures generally operate alone when hunting. Even when hunters appear in groups, they rarely perform anything that resembles teamwork. They apparently use Aliens as prey, creating artificial gaming reserves by keeping Queens and even Facehuggers in captivity.

Language

These creatures have what amounts to a written language. This script appears as a written patterns of dashes. These written symbols appear on the creatures' gauntlet displays, their helmets, architecture, and many other surfaces. The most common vocalizations of the creatures consists of a series of clicks, roars, snarls, and growls which consist of recorded vocalizations of animals such as lions, tigers, leopards, jaguars, cougars, snow leopards, black bears, grizzly bears, dolphins, alligators, camels, and elephants. They will also mimic human language on occasion, and have been shown to use their helmets to understand and speak human languages; some have also learned to speak human languages, even without the use of their helmets as well.

Known Weapons, Gear, and Technology

A comprehensive list is impossible as there is no direct access to the creatures written script. What follows is a list of observed weapons, gear and technology.
Audio Decoy: The Audio Decoy is a small gadget that is capable of emitting false audio noises to confuse and distract prey.
Beacon: Beacons are cloaked unless they're activated by a predator, in which case they will uncloak and extend upwards a few feet. In this state, a blinking red light lies at the tip and a pulsing noise likely detectable by on a Predator emanates from the structure. They can be seen using the bio-helmet's vision modes, in which they will appear with a flag bearing the Predator's sigil.
Bear Trap: The Bear Trap is capable of harming and entrapping its quarry when tripped. It features proximity sensors that detect nearby life forms, and sends an alert back to the Predator that deployed it, when triggered.
Bio-mask: also known as a bio-helmet is one of the main tools used by the Predator. As well as performing the basic function of protecting a Predator's head, the helmet also grants the wearer access to multiple vision modes including zoom capabilities, facilitates Vocal Mimicry, and includes breathing apparatus, diagnostics, and visual and audio recording systems. The helmet often also incorporates a red targeting laser used in conjunction with a Plasmacaster. The bio-helmet is directly linked to a Predator's wrist gauntlet, which controls many of the helmet's functions. Together they form one of the most versatile tools used by the Predators, while the helmet itself is a distinctive aspect of their overall appearance.
Blazer: The blazer is a shoulder-mounted energy projector that fires a sweeping inferno beam. Hotter than many stars at its core, an inferno beam works by instantly heating objects it touches to the point of spontaneous combustion. Given this ability, the weapon is designed to hit as many enemies as possible by sweeping in large arcs across its primary target. Since it does not need to be aimed with such precision, the Blazer can continue to fire even while on the move. It has also been seen in a handheld form that looks like a rifle.
Body Armor (Predator): is a protective but sectional assemblage of armor worn by Predators across the body while on a Hunt. Hunters rarely wear full protective suits. The reason for this is never explained, although since the Hunt requires stealth, speed, and fair bit of athleticism, They may forgo it for this reason as heavy armor often sacrifices mobility. However, some choose to wear less armor as a silent testament of their (perhaps perceived) skill.
Burner: an assault-rifle like weapon used by the Predators, it has a similar function to a Plasmacaster, however it is a more hands-on, manual weapon. Burners shoot streams of hot plasma. They resemble and function much like a Human assault rifle.
Ceremonial Dagger: This weapon is used by warriors as a last-resort weapon or a weapon to take trophies from fallen enemies. It's primary use is to remove the carapace of an Alien but it could also be used as a close-contact weapon if need be. The blade itself is made of either the bones or the 'resin' of an Alien, making it resistant to their acidic blood.
Charge Emitter: This a piece of technology used to short out human technology.

It emitted a surge of ultrahigh electric frequencies from the Predator's wrist gauntlet, which would disable electrical devices. As such, its function was similar to the human ComTech Hacking Device. The Charge Emitter could also induce temporary nausea in humans.
Cleaner case: This is a storage device used by the Predator during his clean up mission in Gunnison, Colorado, Earth in 2004. Given the device's name, it is likely that the cleaner case was only used on special "clean up" operations.
Cloak: also known as the invisibility system[2], Chameleon Feild[3] or shiftsuit,[4] is an advanced piece of technology that is able to render the user invisible, or nearly invisible, to the naked eye, as well as many forms of electronic scanning. The Cloak warps light around the user's body in such a fashion that surfaces behind the creature are visible through the Predator's body. The effect is not perfect, often leaving a visible silhouette similar to heat haze, but in certain environments (and when the Predator remains motionless) it can effectively help a Predator to hide in plain sight. While the Cloak is very effective when employed against prey that primarily rely on vision, it is notably useless when engaged in hunting Aliens as they are still able to "sense" the Yautja warrior even when the cloak is engaged. Predator starships have similar cloaking systems capable of giving the entire vessel camouflage. Cloak use is very common during a Hunt, due to stealth being a major concern for Predators.
Combistick: also known as the Telescoping Spear, is a spear-like weapon. It's telescopic, making it relatively small and easy to store when not in use but extending to its full length when required in combat. It is made of incredibly light, sharp, thin but strong material. It can be used both as a close-quarters hand-to-hand weapon and thrown like a spear.
Cut Clamp: is both a cutting tool and throwing weapon used by the Predator. Appearing as a segmented blade with claw-like hook at one end while another the mechanism to activate it, Cut Clamp curled up into almost disc-like shape while unused. While typically hurled in a fashion not unlike Bolas, Cut Clamp shred through things it wrapped about rather than restraining them. There's also the chance of the device getting stuck on the target despite being designed to cut through even metal.
Disintegrator Gas: a type of gas used by the Predators to decompose any organic remains of the victim's heads, with the exception of their skulls.
Dissolving Liquid: a highly potent, corrosive blue chemical used by Predators which dissolves any piece of organic material it was placed on, including Alien carcasses, and turned it into a "pile of goop". Dissolving Liquid was notably used by the Predator in Gunnison, Colorado in 2004 to eliminate evidence of Aliens. Wolf kept his Dissolving Liquid in small brown vials. Although seemingly not its designed purpose, Dissolving Liquid could also be used as a weapon in a desperate situation. The substance reacted violently with water, and a small amount of the solvent could vaporize large quantities of water and any other material in it. Notably, the Liquid was also able to kill and dissolve live Aliens, despite the creature's resistance to its own highly corrosive blood.
Elder Sword: Like all bladed weapons wielded by the Predators, the Elder Sword boasts superior sharpness compared to Earth's bladed weapons.
Electroshock Bolas: Bolas that carry a powerful electrical current, which instantly kills victims on impact.
Electroshock Missile Battery: a back mounted missile device that fires three powerful armor penetrating electroshock plasma missiles capable of targeting three different targets (9 when upgraded). This is particularly useful when engaging synthetic prey, as it emits a massive EMP when detonated. This weapon is useful against almost all kinds of prey, and is only gifted to military Predators.
Energy Flechette: The Energy Flechette is mounted in the Predator's wrist gauntlet. While some versions are seemingly fixed in place, others have been seen that fold away into the gauntlet when not in use. It is similar in many respects to the classic Plasmacaster weapon, albeit firing significantly less powerful bolts and with many of the latter's more advanced features removed. For example, the Energy Flechette is incapable of tracking targets independently, and it does not feature an integrated laser sight; as such, it must be aimed by the user by literally pointing their arm at the target, and is only suitable at close range. It would also be difficult to use against small or fast-moving targets. Owing to its simplistic nature and somewhat lacking power, the Energy Flechette is seemingly only intended as a backup weapon, to be used in situations where more powerful weaponry is unavailable or disabled. Different variants have been seen offering either single-shot or rapid fire capability.
Energy Sift: The Energy Sift is a piece of technology used to recharge the user's gear. It appeared as a round object with several inward-facing spires, and a small forked stick similar to the harpoons fired by the Speargun. When used, the stick started spinning, emitting a bright light. The recharging process was quite noisy and tumultuous, and would deactivate a the Cloak of a Predator using it. As such, it could give away the user's location.
Falcon: The Falcon is a remote-controlled drone developed that primarily functions as an intelligence-gathering device. It is able to give the operator a wide-ranging, real-time assessment of their surroundings, providing information on prey movements and positions over a wide area. As with a bio-helmet, the Falcon is also equipped with multiple vision modes.
Fire bombs: a highly explosive grenade type device.
Fireliner: These are a weapon equipped on Predator mobile Shrines. The Shrine is equipped with a fireliner, a multibeam heat weapon related to the Blazer. Unlike the blazer, the fireliner focuses small 'beamlets' on different enemy weak spots, heating them to the point of combustion. Overall, the fireliner spreads its pool of beamlets across as many enemies as possible to maximize the number of opponents suffering from ongoing burns. Like the blazer, the fireliner can be fired on the move.
Flaying Tool: The Flaying Tool is 'Y' shaped, its prongs spaced slightly apart. It is meant to be grabbed at the bottom and emits a laser from between the two prongs hot enough to simply and easily peel skin off of a yet-flayed trophy. While it is undoubtedly used by most Predators to skin their victims as a ritual of the hunt, they also use it for research purposes, cutting open carcasses to study their anatomies.
Gauntlet Cuffs: a Predator technology used to bind two individuals together by way of the wrist gauntlets.
Glaive: a close-combat weapon. In essence, it is very similar to the more common Combistick, both being long, staff-like weapons that telescope closed when not in use. However, unlike the Combistick, the Glaive is exclusively used for hand-to-hand fighting and is never thrown. Where the Combistick ends in razor-sharp, stabbing points, the Glaive is instead tipped with wide, flat blades that are used to scythe and cut through enemies. As a result, its use dictates a different, more elaborate set of moves to harness its true potential, with flowing, almost dance-like movements required to ensure the heavy, bladed tips slice through the air with constant momentum. The Glaive is a very powerful weapon, able to cut clean through a human torso in the hands of a skilled operator.
Grappling Hook: During their hunts, Predators make use of the grappling hook to access areas that can only be passed by Aliens, or to get to airducts.
Hand Scythe: a type of bladed close-combat weapon used by the Predators. Hand Scythes vary in design but typically consist of at least one curved blade, positioned roughly perpendicular to the hilt.
Health Shard: a device that works similar to the Medicomp. It works by taking the cylindrical container, pulling it apart into two pieces, and stabbing the two pieces in the Predator's body. Like the Medi-Kit, it is extremely painful to use. A Predator typically carries up to three at a time.
Killscreen Generator: the Killscreen Generator is possibly the most advanced piece of hardware a Predator can have, this uses a dark plasma streams guided by a tracking device that, consequently, neutralizes any incoming projectiles, up to and including rockets. This means that prey that are trying to kill the Predator from range will have to either flee or engage it in close combat. It has however, little if any effect against multi-projectile and rapid-fire weapons such as shotguns, (as there are too many projectiles to neutralize), no effect against flame-based weapons, and is useless when fighting Aliens.
Kujhad: a unique multi-purpose tool with several observed features:
-Advanced AI: When attached to a user's wrist gauntlet, the Kujhad appears to act with a mind of its own,
-Portable Mini-Computer: When removed from the wrist gauntlet, the Kujhad acts like a portable mini-computer.
-Projectile Weapon: When attached to the wrist gauntlet, the Kujhad can act as a weapon (similar, in principle, to the Energy Flechette), but instead of firing plasma-based projectiles, it instead fires a rather tiny discus that (contrary to its small size) has enough power and sharpness to not only pierce the thick hide of a Predator, but also cleanly slice through the flesh and bone of a human, with relative ease.
-Storage Unit: When attached to the wrist gauntlet, the Kujhad acts as a storage unit for certain small objects.
Language Translator: a program installed in some Predators' bio-masks that allows a Hunter to understand other species' communication(s)/language(s).
Maul: a close-combat weapon. It is a large, weighted cutting blade affixed to a handle that runs perpendicular to the blade itself; this layout is notably similar to tonfas or "nightsticks" often used by human law enforcement officers. The Maul offers devastating close-range power far in excess of that available with the Combistick, but at the cost of greatly reduced range. The Maul's blade is around twice as long at the back than at the front and is weighted accordingly, allowing the user to spin the weapon in the hand about its handle and put increased momentum behind their blows; one tactic is to whirl the weapon rapidly in a fashion comparable to a helicopter rotor before landing a crushing strike on an opponent. The Maul is capable of inflicting grievous wounds, capable of slicing through multiple human targets simultaneously with little effort. In fact, the Maul is arguably one of the most powerful hand-to-hand weapons available to Predators. As with many such weapons, individuals of the species often utilize bespoke variants of the Maul with their own differing characteristics.
Medicomp: also known as the MediKit, is a powerful and versatile first aid kit used by the Predator to treat wounds while on a Hunt. The Medicomp contained various serums and surgical tools that could be used to treat a wide range of injuries quickly and effectively.
Motion Detector: Like the mines utilized by the Predators, the Motion Detector is capable of adhering to any surface. When deployed, it generates a motion detector field; when tripped it does not harm the quarry, but it does send an alert back to the user who deployed it, and "marks" the prey so the predator can track them.
Netgun: also known as the Net Launcher, is a weapon that fires a wire net at great velocity and with great force, typically to trap and ensnare prey. Once fired, the net itself has the ability to tighten around its trapped target with sufficient force to cause the wire mesh to cut into the victim. It is a small handheld device that fires a bundled net that rapidly expands as it leaves the weapon's barrel. The net itself travels at great speed, capable of hurling a target across the room upon contact, ideally pinning them to a nearby surface. Once pinned, the prey is then an easy target for the Predator.
Noose: When used in the dark, the wire-thin Noose is almost impossible to see. The material is slim but strong, able to hold the weight of an adult human as it yanks them up. It also constricts around the throat in such a way that the victim cannot produce any noise, allowing the userto pick off stragglers in a group with utmost stealth. While used on live victims, the Noose has been seen used on dead victims as well. Predators have a tendency to hang what they kill upside down by the feet, typically after skinning them.
Plasma Grenade: The Plasma Grenade creates a large explosion when detonated. Besides the Plasma Grenade there are more grenades such Fire, Lightning, Sonic, Electro Pulse, etc.
Plasma Pistol: also known as the Plasma Handgun, is a handheld version of the Plasmacaster. While purpose-built examples are known to exist, the weapon can also be assembled in the field from a normal Plasmacaster.

Typically, the former are more powerful and versatile than the latter, which would presumably only be used in situations where the donor Plasmacaster has been damaged in some way and will therefore no longer function as intended.
Plasmacaster: also known as the Plasma Cannon, Laser Cannon or Shoulder Cannon, is a long-range energy projector weapon with automatic targeting capabilities. Capable of firing armor-penetrating plasma bolts at distant targets, it is arguably the most devastating and technologically advanced offensive tool at the Predator's disposal. The bolts fired by the weapon explode in a burst of plasma "shrapnel" upon striking a target, causing grievous wounds and potentially damaging other enemies near the point of impact.
Poli Nanovibronic Disc: a thrown disc weapon similar to the Smart Disc. When thrown, the Poli Nanovibronic Disc returned to the wielder in a single arc. When not in use, the Poli Nanovibronic Disc was stored on the left leg.
Power Punch Glove: also known as the Steel Wrist Shield or Arm cladding, is a device consisting of a metal bridge that extends on command from a Predator's wrist gauntlet to connect with "brass knuckles" worn on the hand. It was used to give a boost in punching strength, allowing the user to perform a punch powerful enough to make a hole in solid concrete. In 2004, after a fight with a group of Aliens in the sewers of Gunnison, Colorado, A Predator used a Power Punch glove to create a hole in the ceiling of the sewers, allowing him to pursue the creatures that had escaped to the surface.
Predator Mines: variously known as Proximity Mines or Throwing Mines, are various types of mine-based weaponry used by Predators on their Hunts. Several variations of the weapons have been seen, although they all share similar characteristics in that they are static weapons triggered when an enemy passes close by, either automatically or remotely.
Sat-Com: a holographic map projector which shows a complete 3D scan of an area and is part of a Wrist Gauntlet. Predators use this device in their Hunts to locate enemies or other targets.
Scimitar: also known as the Arm Blade, is a metallic bladed Predator weapon used on their Hunts. While similar to Wristblades in function, Scimitars offer greatly increased range (owing to their greater size) but at the cost of increased bulk and reduced maneuverability. Furthermore, while Wristblades can be folded away completely when not in use, Scimitars have only limited retracting capabilities, meaning the user is affected by their bulk even when not in combat.When fully extended, a Scimitar blade can be as long as a Predator's leg, giving the hunter significant range in a melee. As an added benefit, they are covered by a Predator's Cloak even when extended fully, unlike the standard Wristblades.
Self-Destruct Device: a powerful Predator explosive device built into a Predator's wrist gauntlet. This weapon of last resort is used by them both as a means by which to commit honorable suicide in the face of an imminent defeat, and also to remove any evidence of their existence and prevent their technology from falling into the hands of another species. As such, it is an indispensable piece of their equipment, and a Predator would typically never venture on a hunt without it.
Shifter: The Shifter is a small orb (roughly the size of a marble) that features the cloaking technology of the Predators
Shuriken: a primarily thrown weapon. Constructed with six retractable blades, it is sharp enough to cut into three inches of solid stone or cut an Alien in two. Much like the Smart Disc with which the weapon shares several similarities, it can also be used as a handheld slashing weapon. It is essentially the same as the Smart Disc in operation, to the point where they can be viewed as merely a different design of the same weapon. Like the Smart Disc, the Shuriken has in-built tracking and flight-correctional capabilities that allow it to track a target (or even multiple targets simultaneously) and return to the user. However, owing to its increased weight and bulk over the Smart Disc, it is not uncommon for the weapon to fail in the latter regard and become lodged in solid surfaces instead of returning to its point of origin. Also like the Smart Disc, Shuriken have considerable cutting power — one has been seen to carve clean through an Alien without slowing down, as well as maintaining sufficient velocity to subsequently lift and pin a human to a wall several feet above the floor. When not in use, the Shuriken's six blades fold away into the hub for ease of storage.
Smart Disc: also known as the Smart Weapon, Cutting Disk, or simply the Disc, is a primarily thrown weapon. It is an extremely sharp circular cutting device that is typically thrown like a discus and yet returns to the user like a boomerang. It also features a hand grip for use as a melee slashing weapon. Computer-controlled gyros guarantee that the Smart Disc returns to its wielder when thrown and also give the weapon a degree of auto-guidance, allowing it to alter its course in mid-air and follow a moving target if necessary. However, the means by which the disc maintains its altitude during these maneuvers is not understood, and clearly involves technologies far in advance of anything possessed by mankind. Smart Discs are capable of automatically tracking a target using their body heat signature, although some can alternately be manually directed in flight using the targeting laser built into the Predator's bio-helmet. The weapon is capable of tracking multiple targets with one throw, giving it capabilities against large groups of enemies that most other Yautja weapons do not possess. Its devastating razor edges are capable of cutting through most substances with ease — a Smart Disc has been seen to cut through half a dozen cattle carcasses and a man in quick succession without any effort. However, in the event that the Disc becomes embedded in a solid material, it can be returned to the thrower with the push of a button on the Predator's wrist gauntlet.
Sword: The Sword, is a weapon occasionally carried and used by Predator.
Tag: a small circular tracking device that is used on prey which the Predator wishes to continuously bait rather than kill outright. The bottom portion of the tag is coated with hook-like barbs which are inserted beneath the target's skin to prevent removal.
Tracking Syringe: a device notably used by the Predator in Gunnison, Colorado in 2004. The Syringe could collect Facehugger DNA samples which could then be injected into the user's wrist gauntlet in order to to calibrate their bio-helmet's Predator-Vision, enabling them to see Facehuggers and their tracks. The Tracking Syringe had a place to be stored in the Cleaner Case. A single sample of this device was found outside the area of the Gunnison disappearance.
Vocal Mimicry: requires a bio-helmet to be utilized, and should not be confused with a Predator's natural ability to copy human speech — while Predators can naturally "speak" human words to some extent, vocal mimicry refers specifically to the perfect imitation of a particular human voice. Mimicry usually involves the repetition of phrases used by other prey previously encountered by the Predator, although it appears the Yautja also have some kind of "database" of pre-recorded statements from which hunters can draw. In fact, some individuals have been heard to repeat phrases used by victims that they had never before encountered themselves, but who were hunted by other Yautja at an earlier time. Typically, mimicry consists of the use of distress calls, beckons or insults to lure a target to a specific location, often with the intent of separating them from their comrades and thereby making them an easier target. Predators have also been known to use mimicry to circumvent electronic security systems that require the use of a specific spoken password to deactivate. Occasionally (and somewhat less commonly), vocal mimicry is used for no purpose other than to taunt or scare prey, or as a form of celebration following a particularly significant victory. Due to the often appropriate use of mimicry, it appears Predators have at least some understanding of the phrases they repeat.
Whip: also known as a Razor Whip is a fast-moving weapon. A segmented handheld bullwhip that wraps around a target, and once pulled taut is capable of cutting it in half. Resistant to Alien acid, due to it possibly being constructed out of an Alien's tail. It was used by the Predator on his mission to wipe out the Aliens overrunning Gunnison, Colorado.
Wrist Cannon: is an energy projector weapon which, in many respects, stronger version of Energy Flechette, built into the Predator's wrist gauntlet. As with Energy Flechette, Wrist Cannon is mounted in the Yautja's wrist gauntlet. Unlike the former, the weapon is greatly optimized to the point of capable of firing stronger bolt with greater firepower on the same vein with the classic Plasmacaster weapon as well as possesses equal range with the latter. Even so, it retains some setbacks which shared by its weaker counterpart such as the lack of tracking features; as such, it must be aimed by the Yautja literally pointing their arm at the target. It would also be difficult to use against small or fast-moving targets, though such setback is not as severe as with Energy Flechette provided that the user gained enough mastery and experience in using the weapon.
Wrist Gauntlet: also known as the wrist bracer[2] or wrist computer, is a piece of wrist-worn Yautja technology. It houses several technologically advanced features, including a Sat-Com and a powerful Self-Destruct Device, as well as controls for a Predator's Cloak and, in some cases, their Plasmacaster. Some wrist gauntlets also included Energy Flechettes or Power Punch Gloves. A wrist gauntlet is possibly the most prized piece of Predator technology.
Wrist Shield: or simply the "shield", is a deployable device used by the Predator. The shield, compared to the one wielding it, is small, but durable and easily retractable when not in use. The device was able to withstand both blunt force, bladed weapons and even bullets from flintlock weapons, such as muskets and pistols. The device could also be used offensively, being sharp enough to slice through the neck of an enemy when activated at close range.
Wristblades: also known as Gauntlet Knives, are the most basic of Predator weapons and arguably the species' signature armament.

The blades take the form of retractable, serrated blades between six and eighteen inches in length and two to eight inches wide that extend over the back of the hand from a gauntlet worn on the Predator's wrist. Generally, They wear a single gauntlet on one wrist fitted with a pair of parallel blades, but there are a number of stylistic variations to this basic arrangement. Despite their relative simplicity, Wristblades are the weapon of choice for most Predators. The deadly blades are sharp enough to cut through bone and are intended for use against unarmored combatants or those who have been disarmed. As a last resort, they can sometimes be fired as a projectile from their gauntlet.

EYES ONLY

CODENAME: ALIEN

After the events in Gunnison, specialized units were sent in to the surrounding area to retrieve any remains of The Colorado Army National Guard troops and anything else that could be found. It was discovered that the troops had all been killed by a horde of alien creatures never before encountered before by man. Examinations of the remains of some of these creature revealed that these creatures could only be extra-terrestrial in origin. Given the presence of a jointed skeletal covering composed of a substance very similar to chitin, it is assumed these creatures are a form of giant arthropod. Very few dead specimens of what would be determined to be the adult creatures were found.
Many more remains of what would later be termed 'Facehuggers' were found and a single living specimen of that. These all were removed to the island laboratory in the Caribbean for study. This facility was chosen for it's isolation and the fortifications it offered.
Given the established extra-terrestrial nature of these creatures, bioweapon protocols were in place from the beginning. This proved to be extremely fortunate after what was discovered. The living specimen was kept locked inside a reinforced observation cage while our best people examined it. The first challenge came when collecting blood and tissue samples. There was plenty of leftover tissue from the dead specimens, but when technicians tried to draw blood from the living specimen, the blood proved to be an acid so corrosive, it ate through anything it was placed in. Someone came up with the brilliant idea of making a container out of tissue from the dead specimens and samples were taken. This proved to be especially useful during the next stage.
The next breakthrough happened when the time came to feed the specimen. All sorts of food were offered to the creature but it wouldn't respond. It was speculated that it might need a diet composed of microscopic organisms so it was placed in a tank of salt water enriched with plankton. Again, no reaction. It was then speculated that the creature might have entered hibernation so it was taken to the medical lab for x-rays.

When one of the personnel carelessly tried to change his mask filter nearby, the creature suddenly attacked. The protective equipment prevented any injury but this had been the first reaction the team had gotten from the creature since it was brought in. It was subsequently discovered that it would respond to a combination of heat, smell, sound, and vibration. Since it wouldn't respond to anything other than the presence of another living thing, a lab animal, a pig, was introduced into the creature's enclosure. The creature's attack on the pig was so violent and aggressive that the pig may not have even known it happened. Both specimens seemed completely immobile so the team brought them out for x-rays. It was discovered that in the brief time of the creatures attack, it had extended two protuberances into the pig's mouth, down it's throat, and into it's stomach. Further, there was a large mass growing behind the pig's sternum that couldn't be identified. The creature had a death grip on the pig's head that couldn't be forced off. In addition, it's long tail was wrapped vigorously around the pig's neck. It was during this examination that the creature was given the name 'facehugger' which has become it's nomenclature despite it's clumsiness.
Strangely, both specimens were still alive, so both were put back into the enclosure together. Not long after, the creature released it's death grip on the pig's head, scuttled away, and died. The pig regained consciousness shortly after and was removed to be examined. Blood and tissue samples were taken and later proved to have changed DNA. X-rays were taken and a large mass was discovered to be behind the pig's sternum. The earlier difficulties with collecting blood samples from the 'Facehugger' left the technicians leery of attempting more invasive examinations at least at that moment, and the pig was returned to the enclosure where it quickly ate all of its food and that left for the 'Facehugger'. The staff decided to continue feeding it to see what would happen. The pig continued to eat and eat, yet didn't seem to change in size in any way. It was later calculated that the pig ate three times it's weight in food and when there was nothing to eat, it licked the dishes. The staff continued to feed and observe the pig for the next twenty-eight hours when suddenly the pig fell over sideways and began to squeal and thrash. The staff were preparing to enter the enclosure to see what was happening when a small head about the size of a fist burst out from between the pig's ribs.
Before the staff could react, the head let out an inhuman shriek and lunged forward, bursting from the pig's chest. The creature then began racing about the enclosure, as one staff member put it, 'like a chicken with it's head cut off.' It climbed walls, ran across the ceiling, and finally stopped on the enclosure's observation window. When it spit an acidic substance onto the window and the glass began to dissolve, the staff lowered titanium steel blast armor over it and trapped the specimen inside, planning to observe it through the enclosure's CCTV cameras.
The specimen then proceeded to attack the lights in the ceiling until one of the staff thought to turn them off. It was then discovered that the creature didn't show up on infra-red and the fixed interior cameras lacked the capability to see the creature in the dark so a 360-degree tactical camera with night vision was inserted into the enclosure. The creature was discovered curled up in a corner seemingly asleep. As there was only one tactical camera on base, it was decided to observe the creature from a distance.
The creature began a cycle of molting, expanding, and devouring its shed exoskeletons. Within three hours it had grown to the size of the large dead specimens retrieved from Gunnison, and didn't stop.

The personnel at the base were already concerned about these creatures and what they might do if the creature escaped so evacuation drills and self destruct protocols became the order of the day at the base while the creature continued to grow. Finally, after five hours, the creature stopped molting. It then began to line the enclosure with a strange excretion. The expert on arthropods correctly guessed that it was nesting. Robot arms in the walls took samples of the excretion and tests were run. The substance proved to be quickly hardening and similar to resin so that was the name it was given. The operator of the tactical camera managed to move it around so it wouldn't get stuck in the resin. It was moved to the first part of the chamber to harden. After less than two hours of the creature lining the enclosure, the creature climbed to the ceiling and began to molt again. This time, it began to change form. The insect expert correctly guessed that it was creating an ovipositor which is the organ insect queens use to lay eggs. The staff continued to observe and gather data as the cycle continued.
When the first egg was laid, a robot with sensor equipment was inserted into the chamber to examine the egg. It took some doing to break the resin away from the airlock door, but it was done. All the data listed below about the egg was learned. When the robot tried to bring the egg out for further examination, the Queen crushed it. Apparently, it was smart enough to recognize a threat to its brood.
Since no one was willing to enter the chamber with the queen, another lab pig was introduced to the enclosure. It was expected that the queen would eat it and the staff would be able to study its feeding habits. Instead the pig avoided the queen but went near the egg. To everyone's surprise, the egg opened and the 'Facehugger ' inside attacked the pig so swiftly that this pig again probably never knew what hit it.
The life cycle of the Alien species had come full circle. The staff presented it's findings to the Task Force. As the leadership concluded that the Alien creatures were most likely a bioweapon brought to earth by (CODENAME PREDATOR see attached documentation) to wipe the planet clean of all animal and human life, the specimens were ordered destroyed. In the short time it had taken for the decision to be reached, the cycle had perpetuated again and another alien had burst from the second pig. This one stopped molting after two hours and yielded what must have been an adult worker alien since it was the same size and shape as the larger dead specimens from Gunnison.
Since the enclosure holding the specimens had been an armored chamber used to test explosive devices, an incendiary device was placed within it and detonated. The staff are even now dissecting and examining the remains. One of the first things learned is that the acidic blood of the creatures becomes inert after death. Further revelations may be forthcoming but the danger represented by these creatures cannot be understated. Should (CODENAME PREDATOR see attached documentation) or any other extra-terrestrial power successfully infest any part of Earth with this species, estimates predict complete planetary extinction within less than a year.

(continued)
Last edited by Manofevil on Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.