The Fall of House Pancrazio Chapter 4

Online roleplaying at the Café
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

Sebastian takes a seat at the table while the others listen. He puts his elbows on the table, clasping his hands together and resting his chin on them.

"Last night, while I was doing research in the library, the ghost of that boy from the tunnel appeared. Before I lost consciousness, I saw him act like he was being strangled by an unseen hand. I think I was witnessing the ghost reenact his own murder. I also remember the sound of a flute playing, becoming deafening towards the end. And fire, by Ezra there was fire."
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

''You were choked by unnatural smoke in the pantry, too, as I recall. Hmmm..so maybe my guess about a fire was correct. We need to find out:
  • Who was this boy in life?

Who killed him and why?

When?

What does he want from us, the living?''

Tristan looks at Sebastian for a moment, then glances over at Julian. He drains the rest of his tea and addresses the whole kitchen gathering-

''There was that big fire about ten years ago, here at the manor. I don't know the details as it was before I joined the staff. Emilio has told me of hearing strange music on several occasions since the fire. Emilio, didn't you say that the ghostly music was heard the night Roderigo's little son died? Forgive me for bringing up such a sad memory- but it could be important. I heard a flute playing, the night Luisa passed away. I reckon all these events are connected.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Griselda
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Griselda »

Agna listens intently to Harold's explanation, nodding in comprehension. "I understand. But it didn't quite answer my question about the lock. You're saying the lock on the chest with this possibly scary magic on it requires a ring -- Luisa's ring from her hand, buried two days ago -- to make it turn?" Her tone sounds incredulous.

"As for what's in the the jars, well, it certainly will help, but let's not tell anyone outside this circle how old the stuff actually is. I'm not sure anyone would be pleased to know they're eating 30-year-old jam, no matter how tasty it is."

Tristan steps out to greet Sebastian, and Agna makes a mental note to inventory the contents of all these new jars in some spare moment. She puts back her own jar and returns to the sink.

Sebastian describes a familiar set of events from the library to the assembled group, and she feels the blood draining from her face and heart. With exaggerated care to compensate for her shaking hands, she puts aside the plate she was rinsing and dries her hands, trying to think of where she can put herself until this conversation is done. Her throat hurts -- perhaps from the tension starting to garrot her. She does her best to move casually into the scullery, apparently to count glasses.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Something else to consider," Harold says. "Do ghosts not usually portray the event of their death in the place where they died? Was the library also consumed by the fire back then? Perhaps the blaze was started to cover up a murder."
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Julian has remained silent this whole time, he has listened while eating a piece of bread and cheese. His saddle and saddle bags lay at his feet next him.

The chair groans a little as Julian shifts around his plate armor he looks around at every one then over to Harold as he mentions a possible cover up.

"I know you merely throwing ideas around Harold, but I would be careful about how you say them. What happened to my would be elder cousin is tragic indeed, but we can't be certain this boy is him.

The boy also could have died choking on the smoke from the fire ten years back. I don't know much about the fire, I was a boy then. Even as a child I only spent summers here, when my Grandfather would come back to the manor.

Now, we can discuss more about what connections there may be and may not be while we are on the road. We are going back to Crypt to retrieve that ring.

Tristan after you finish eating prepare the horses, Sebastian change out of your morning clothes and prepare for travel. I am sure Bother Calder will be happy to see you. Tahl wake Goran out of bed, even if have to douse him in cold water."
He says.

Julian chews the last part of bread and cheese, picking up his saddle and saddle bags he goes to the stables to prepare his mount.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Tristan looks up from his breakfast of cornbread, an apple, and hunk of green cheese.
He chews and swallows, and then says-

''Sure thing- I'll be ready in three shakes of a dog's tail.''

He stuffs the uneaten apple in his pocket, polishes off the rest of the breakfast without exhibiting gross or sloppy manners, and washes his meal down by draining his mug. A dainty swipe of the mouth with the swatch of checkered cotton cloth that does double duty as his table-cloth and handkerchief, and Tristan is on his feet and headed for the door.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

As he finishes his breakfast, Sebastian responds to Harold's and Julian's speculation.

"I have made no assumptions on who the boy is, or when he died. All that I am certain of is that the boy was murdered, what I saw last night left no room for interpretation."

After finishing, Sebastian returns to his room. He equips his armor and weapons, and returns downstairs.

George R.R. Martin.
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Tahl listens to his fellows about what they have concluded about the things the group has found out while eating his breakfast .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Tristan has left the kitchen, headed for the stables.
Once in the stables, he sees to readying horses for the party.

PathOfDreams
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by PathOfDreams »

Goran's early waking gives him time to prowl the grounds around the manor ... just in case. While foraging for the root, which he has come to depend upon, he witnesses his sister arrive before the sun in Lord Enzo's carriage. What could she be doing with him?

With his roots gathered and bagged, Goran treks to the small creek about a quarter mile away as the sun is rising. He stashes all but his hand axe and strips bare. His long muscular limbs disappear under the water, resurfacing a few moments later. Quickly, he scrubs himself with a handful of moss and emerges from the creek.

Goran takes his time to dry, get dressed, and return to the manor. When he arrives, he swings around to the back of the manor to enter into the kitchen. The ranger catches glimpse of Tristan heading into the stables. The stables? I thought the tunnels were to be cleared of the remaining mystery that dwells there so abundantly.
The Fall of House Pancrazio
Goran Pancrazio - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=165152
Ghosts of Gauntcliff
Petrie MacLugash - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=339286
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

IN THE KITCHEN-

Roderigo walks into the kitchen of Pancrazio manor and sees the assembled group. The mans face is puffy and his eyes betray his lack of sleep. Looking around he sees Emilio and approaches the majordomo.

"Ah Emilio, I have good news. My daughter Magenta has returned from town and I am happy to report that she has hired a few extra hands for the nights festivities including a permanent replacement....forgive me, a new head cook. An elderly woman from town named Zera. She will be bringing her son; a boy of thirteen named Paul. The other three that shall be arriving, two girls and another young man, I forget their names at the moment, they are here just for tonight. One is a baker, the other two will help with the serving."

Roderigo abruptly turns towards Agna.

"Agna, I want you to attend the dinner tonight. You will not be working. In fact, if you have a moment I would like to speak to you upstairs in the study.

"Emilio I'll need you to go over the rules of the house with the new hires and to make sure operations tonight run smoothly."

Roderigo walks over and sits by Tahl and Sebastian. The elder Pancrazio poured himself some hot water from the pitcher centered on the table. He then scooped out some honey from an available jar and mixed it with some sugar. He then let the cup of hot liquid sit, the steam curling out of it like an ominous spirit.

"Tahl my friend, I'll need you to dress in your best armor tonight. Thicker the better. I want any of Dilisnya's goons to think twice about trying something. I don't expect anything mind you, I just want the appearance of force. That goes for Tristan as well, wherever the boy's gotten off to. When you see him tell him to clean his best gun.

Sebastian. I have heard word from your grandfather Saverio. He may arrive tonight, he may arrive by the end of the week. I'm not sure. I'll have Zera turn down his room. I am eager to see him. Hopefully his studies were worth missing my mothers funeral."

Emilio, for the first time since Roderigo's announcements, shows emotion, in fact he visibly pales at the mention of the eldest living Pancrazio. He quickly glances around, his eyes catching Agna's for a moment (1). Agna can see what might be fear in the majordomo's eyes.

"Harold, I'll need Miss Phebe her most coherent for tonight. Is there a potion or tonic you can prepare that will keep her lucid? I don't want to hide her away-especially if her father arrives today.

"I'm having Magenta bathe her now and then she will be dressed in clothes befitting a noblewoman of Borca."

Roderigo returns to his tea, blows into the cup softly, and then drinks slowly from it. A serene look comes over the man. He takes another drink.

"Now about the tunnels. Where has Sir Julian gone? Or my son? Has anyone seen Goran this morning?"

IN THE STABLES-

Sir Julian and Tristan are busy at work saddling the horses when Goran arrives inside the stables. The new horse, the one Agna and Emilio returned with, is alert and agitated, as if it was eager to be outside.

(1) Sense Motive Check to notice Emilio here, otherwise only Agna sees this.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

JMaytr wrote: Sebastian. I have heard word from your grandfather Saverio. He may arrive tonight, he may arrive by the end of the week. I'm not sure. I'll have Zera turn down his room. I am eager to see him. Hopefully his studies were worth missing my mothers funeral."

"Is there anything you would like me to help with before he arrives Uncle? I'm afraid that I haven't seen my grandfather since I was a small child, but I would be more than willing to help prepare for his arrival."

George R.R. Martin.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

in the stables-

Tristan looks up for a moment from his work adjusting the tack on one of the mounts.

''Good morning, Goran.''

Griselda
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Griselda »

The appearance of the master of Pancrazio brings Agna to the door of the scullery. The talk about the boy has ceased, and some of the unbearable tension has abated for now. She stands at attention, knowing they're about to hear something regarding the evening.
"Ah Emilio, I have good news. My daughter Magenta has returned from town and I am happy to report that she has hired a few extra hands for the nights festivities including a permanent replacement....forgive me, a new head cook. An elderly woman from town named Zera. She will be bringing her son; a boy of thirteen named Paul. The other three that shall be arriving, two girls and another young man, I forget their names at the moment, they are here just for tonight. One is a baker, the other two will help with the serving."
If she could, Agna would scowl, but must settle for an irritated twitch of her lips. Magenta found the new hires? I wonder what credentials they come with. Maybe Lothario Enzo recommended them between "rounds." And a 13-year-old boy -- just the right age to back-talk, get underfoot or sneak into mischief while we're busy. Well, at the very least, they can stir and turn the spit while I look to everyone's clothes--
Roderigo abruptly turns towards Agna.

"Agna, I want you to attend the dinner tonight. You will not be working. In fact, if you have a moment I would like to speak to you upstairs in the study.
An icy hand closes around her heart. She manages only a bare nod and a soft, "Yes, sir."
Emilio, for the first time since Roderigo's announcements, shows emotion, in fact he visibly pales at the mention of the eldest living Pancrazio. He quickly glances around, his eyes catching Agna's for a moment (1). Agna can see what might be fear in the majordomo's eyes.
I can count on my two hands the number of times I've seen Emilio look like that in my life. And it is that which frightens her worse than anything so far.

"Emilio, I know you said you wanted the cordials washed, but I seem to be too tired and stupid to find them. Were they moved when we last organized the scullery?" Agna asks brightly. She opens her eyes a little wider, inclining her head vaguely toward the scullery.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Harold's lips pucker and his eyebrows draw down at the suggestion of drugging Miss Phebe, but his voice remains quite, quite even when he replies: "I shall endeavor to do my best for the lady, sir. Is there anything else that you would like for me to do tonight?"