Names in Darkon

Discussing all things Ravenloft
stephan
Conspirator
Conspirator

Names in Darkon

Post by stephan »

I'm sure there must be a reliable source of Darkonian names, but to save me a huge pdf downloading spree could someone give me a list of common Darkonian names? Masculine/feminine/neutral and by race preferably.

Thanks in advance.
[Malice in Wonderland]

SMI2LE
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

There is a short list of Darkonese names on this thread:

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index ... pic=2020.0

Darkon's memory loss/assimiliation features would seem to entrap a lot of diverse folks, so I expect that many odd names could be justified as 'Darkonese'.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Well, Darkon also seems to use latin (as in Ancient Roman) inspired names. You can use these links for reference:

http://www.novaroma.org/wiki/Choosing_a_Roman_name
http://www.20000-names.com/male_latin_names.htm
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

You might also consider using names from Aerdy, as Azalin is a native of the Great Kingdom.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
DocBeard
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DocBeard »

There's also clearly a Germanic-speaking group of people on the Eastern coast, maybe Lamordian and Falkovnian immigrants, what with the van Richtens and whatnot.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

ewancummins wrote:You might also consider using names from Aerdy, as Azalin is a native of the Great Kingdom.
Aerdy, and the GK are from the Greyhawk campaign. Check out the free accessory WGR6 Ivid the Undying, for more details on the GK.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

ewancummins wrote:Darkon's memory loss/assimiliation features would seem to entrap a lot of diverse folks, so I expect that many odd names could be justified as 'Darkonese'.
QFT. It's also the biggest, most diverse and most like standard fantasy domain. So you'll find lots of very different names there.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

^ This is what I think too.

Darkon was intended to be the more fantasy-friendly domain in the core. So come up with whatever name you want. It's all fair game.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

FWIW, several Darkonian characters -- even Dr. van Richten himself -- have names which suggest that their families were Claimed By Darkon, but retained their original surnames and naming traditions.

Such "adopted" Darkonese names wouldn't even necessarily have to derive from other domains, either: plenty of outlanders probably head for Darkon when they hear that it's got powerful wizards, then forget that they ever wanted those wizards to send them home. So if you want to stick a Spanish or Korean or Navajo name on a Ravenloft character, just say they're from Darkon, and nobody in-the-know will object.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

You can take non-Gothic-tradition-culture names and twist them to a European tongue as well.

I had a lot of fun with one group of players hunting down an alchemist, Leedger Wynn. This guy never did business face-to-face, always conducting business through a hole in his chem lab door using passed scraps of paper.

After the PCs progressed to a plot point, they finally saw him in person and realized he was an old Chinese medicine man. "Leedger Wynn" was the transliteration of his name, 李知文, (Li Zhiwen).
stephan
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by stephan »

ewancummins wrote:There is a short list of Darkonese names on this thread:

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index ... pic=2020.0

Darkon's memory loss/assimiliation features would seem to entrap a lot of diverse folks, so I expect that many odd names could be justified as 'Darkonese'.
Thanks!

I used the first names there and a Latin surname.
[Malice in Wonderland]

SMI2LE
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Names in Darkon

Post by alhoon »

Those immigrants will forget they are immigrants pretty soon...

As for names, I may suggest something a bit controversial: Use ChatGTP.

A prompt like this would do the trick, I think:
" ChatGTP, in the Gothic Horror world of Ravenloft, give me 20 male names that would fit the Domain of Darkon. "
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Names in Darkon

Post by Speedwagon »

alhoon wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:02 pm Those immigrants will forget they are immigrants pretty soon...

As for names, I may suggest something a bit controversial: Use ChatGTP.

A prompt like this would do the trick, I think:
" ChatGTP, in the Gothic Horror world of Ravenloft, give me 20 male names that would fit the Domain of Darkon. "
Huh, I've heard of uses of ChatGPT for D&D games, but not really for Ravenloft or like this. Great idea! Thanks alhoon.