So...I'm looking for Ravenloft novels.*sigh*

Books, movies, television and everything else
Abyss
Conspirator
Conspirator

So...I'm looking for Ravenloft novels.*sigh*

Post by Abyss »

Back in the day, I read Vampire of the Mists, I, Strahd, Heart of Midnight, and a few others, but I never did read any of the novels concerning Azalin. While it worries me to pay 14.99 for a used book in good condition on Amazon or eBay, I think that alternative is much more of a financially sound decision as opposed to paying 60 bucks and UP for a new freakin' PAPERBACK. Anyone know if King of the Dead and Lord of the Necropolis are going to see reprints like Vampire of the Mists, etc.?
"What power would hell have if those imprisoned here would not be able to dream of heaven?"
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Seems pretty unlikely. It looks like WotC is looking pretty closely at their novel lines right now, they have put a number of planned releases for 2010 on hold indefinately. Ravenloft doesn't appear to have anything planned for the future other than the upcoming board game. Heck, Wotc has even pulled back the Dragonlance license, and appears to have put that whole line of novels on hold as well.

I think your best bet is to frequent used book stores.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Abyss
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Abyss »

Thanks for the info Catman. Only problem is there's VERY few used bookstores in my area. Oh well, I don't suppose 15 bucks is too bad...at least I'm not limited to the 200 dollar copies. :shock: I honestly don't see how those people sleep at night.
"What power would hell have if those imprisoned here would not be able to dream of heaven?"
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

One faint glimmer of hope: Wizards has started making their novels available as downloadable ebooks. Right now the titles are all Realms, Eberron, and M:tG, but maybe, just maybe, they will eventually expand it to be all their back titles. A list of novels so far can be found here, about half-way down the page:

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... /march2010
Abyss
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Abyss »

You sir, are a god-send...not seeing anything familiar on the list however. Any recommendations?
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I found 14 RL novels for around 80$ shipping included last year on ebay. That included the hardcover I STRAHD too. So ebay is still a good bet sometimes ;) I'll keep an eye open for you just in case.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

If you've got any kind of good used bookstore in your vicinity maybe you can ask them to keep an eye out for you? Several of the ones I've gone to over the years will keep a list for customers.
Abyss
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Abyss »

Thanks tarlyn, I appreciate your help. 8) I'll definitely check in on eBay from time to time.

Well, thing is, the vicinity in question is EXTREMELY rural...so there's VERY few used bookstores...yeah, nobody reads here in the country, we'd much rather milk cows and square dance. :shock:

Ok,ok, it's not that bad but it certainly does feel like it sometimes. I'll have to inquire as to whether there actually IS a good used bookstore around here, but thanks for the advice Brandi. :D
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Right now there are two or three buy now and each one would cost you less than 7$ shipping included. I saw them not too ong ago round an hour ago on ebay. Type in Ravenloft in your search and of course under books.
Abyss
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Abyss »

tarlyn wrote:Right now there are two or three buy now and each one would cost you less than 7$ shipping included. I saw them not too ong ago round an hour ago on ebay. Type in Ravenloft in your search and of course under books.
I found only Lord of the Necropolis, couldn't find King of the Dead. :(
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Abyss wrote:
tarlyn wrote:Right now there are two or three buy now and each one would cost you less than 7$ shipping included. I saw them not too ong ago round an hour ago on ebay. Type in Ravenloft in your search and of course under books.
I found only Lord of the Necropolis, couldn't find King of the Dead. :(
Who wrote that one?
Abyss
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Abyss »

Gene DeWeese. It seems as though "King of the Dead" is the hardest of the novels to come by.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

I understand what you mean, I actually made a killing on ebay a few years ago selling an extra copy I had of 'King of the Dead'.

Whereabouts are you, Abyss? I'm roughly a hour outside of Kansas City, it's all corn fields and pig farms here too. I do get into the city a few times a year, and always hit the bookstores when I do. I almost always find old Ravenloft material available, some titles are just harder to come by.
Abyss
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Abyss »

Catman Jim wrote:I understand what you mean, I actually made a killing on ebay a few years ago selling an extra copy I had of 'King of the Dead'.

Whereabouts are you, Abyss? I'm roughly a hour outside of Kansas City, it's all corn fields and pig farms here too. I do get into the city a few times a year, and always hit the bookstores when I do. I almost always find old Ravenloft material available, some titles are just harder to come by.
Tahlequah, OK, a big change of pace from Auburn, AL. Head 5 miles outside of town and you may possibly be tempted to think, "if cows were actually evil super geniuses and just biding their time for the perfect moment to to strike, all they'd have to do is rebel..."...seriously though they outnumber people like 20 to 1 just outside of town. I'm about an hour away or so from Tulsa, so I guess I may have to just cave some day and head up there to look around.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Dang. I just realized by looking for King of the Dead by Gene Deweese that Mr Deweese has written quite a lot of Star Trek novels.