The Devil's Dreams, Chapter 1, IC

Online roleplaying at the Café
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Devil's Dreams, Chapter 1, IC

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

"The girl, she has a father that should be arriving soon," he tells Gauderic. "His name is Mirabulos, perhaps somebody should be alerting him?" In Dorgio's mind, Vinegar's assault had been unjustified, but the priest doesn't relish the thought of getting authority figures involved.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Gauderic replies-

''He will be directed to the sheriff, never you fear. ''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict pauses for a moment, collecting himself and reabsorbing the scene. "How we manage to find the oddest people in the core is a matter I'll never fully understand," he mutters to Dorgio.

"Herr Delapore, there was an odd occurrence a moment ago. Some kind of shaking. I'm told by one of your servants that this isn't that unusual. Did you notice it as well?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Karim cannot believe in his eyes when Vinegar attacks the old man with her nasty spell. When Thom Alain disables her with his own spell the desert warrior stays with Vinegar till Thom ties her hands. When the guards arrive and take her away Karim shakes her head and says to himself in low voice:

"And believe that till a few minutes ago we planned to get her with us...What would have happened if she snapped like that when we were down there..."

Shaking his head again joins the others and asks:

"How is the old man? Will be better if I get him up to a room and lay him down? It's clear he needs rest."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

JMaytr wrote:Zandar watches the scene unfold before him in horror. The small woman, vinegar, using foul and evil magic, with a carelessness that bespoke casual use, would simply not be allowed to stand.

"Nay!" Zandar calls to the dwarf. "This woman will only use her magics to further harm innocents if she is allowed to live out her days in a cell. Nay! The WITCH must be burned! It is the only way to free her spirit and ensure that she does not harm another! I am sure the authorities here will agree. An unprovoked attack of such a foul nature must result in execution."
Dofur will not react immediately, and therefore ignore Zandar for the time being.

When he has finished administering help to the poor old man, though,
his eyes return to the bard, and the dwarf slowly, carefully nods in consent.

"Her father might be conscious of her evil. We should interrogate him.
I doubt a normal city guard can stand against a necromancer master."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict pauses for a moment, collecting himself and reabsorbing the scene. "How we manage to find the oddest people in the core is a matter I'll never fully understand," he mutters to Dorgio.

"Herr Delapore, there was an odd occurrence a moment ago. Some kind of shaking. I'm told by one of your servants that this isn't that unusual. Did you notice it as well?"

Gauderic answers-

''Yes, well this guesthouse has been, euh, sinking a bit, of late. We have the same problem at the big house. Now, I know that there are caves below the estate, connected to the spring room in the cellars. My uncle incorporated into his building plans an underground stream that runs beneath our lands, you see. "
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Those underground waters," he tells Gauderic, "I was wondering about those. We found a map, and it looks like the stream widens into a river at some point in the caves, yes? Has anyone tried traveling that river? I am wondering if it will hold a boat."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

ewancummins wrote:
Adam wrote:Bennedict pauses for a moment, collecting himself and reabsorbing the scene. "How we manage to find the oddest people in the core is a matter I'll never fully understand," he mutters to Dorgio.

Gauderic answers-

''Yes, well this guesthouse has been, euh, sinking a bit, of late. We have the same problem at the big house. Now, I know that there are caves below the estate, connected to the spring room in the cellars. My uncle incorporated into his building plans an underground stream that runs beneath our lands, you see. "
"Far be it for me to question your uncle," Benny begins, "but why would he want to include an underground stream, which is likely eroding the foundations of your home, in his plans?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Gauderic answers Benn-

''Well, he didn't choose to place a stream under the estate. I suppose that my uncle must have thought that blocking the flow was a bad idea. Flooding risk, maybe? I'm not an engineer or an architect. You'd have to ask my uncle Theophile- except of course, that's impossible. He's dead, may he rest in peace."

To Dorgio-

''Yes, it widens a bit, I think. That's how the miners got into the caves, you see. I don't know if they used a little boat or just waded. ''

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"I'm curious about following that river upstream," he tells Gauderic. "You said you've heart rat-like noises, it may be that rats are using stream as a water source. And rats, they are good swimmers, I am told."
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Zandar can barely contain his rage as he sees healing magics used to stabilize Vinegar. The assurance that she will be dealt with by the authorities comes as a slight relief to the bard. He'd heard tales of swift Richemulot justice in the past, especially against those that attack unarmed civilians. He also knew the power of the spell Bonefiddle and seeing it actually used horrified him. How this girl knew the works of Tavish-Prull was worth finding out.

Zandar can barely believe his ears when he hears that the young witch's father is arriving shortly. How could he not be aware of her abilities? When Dofur suggests that the Professor is her likely teacher and that they should interrogate him, Zandar's mind is all but made up.

"Yes, her father should be questioned. I am very interested in who would willingly damn such an innocent soul with the taint of foul sorcery."

When Delapore arrives and Benn inquires about the sinking foundation, Zandar's curiosity is piqued at the mention of the underground river.

"This river...it sounds a most interesting diversion from the recent unpleasantness. As always, Zandar Blacksong, is at your service Monsieur Delapore."
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Gauderic replies to Zandor-

''Ah, yes, thank you, Zandor. ''

To Dorgio-
''Yes, something that sounds like rats, at any rate. Our cats do a good job of killing any of the vermin that dare to dig into the cellars or stalk around the house. It may be as you suggest, that rats have been moving through the caves. Ugh! To think of them swimming in our spring-room! They are such nasty, filthy things, rats. I detest them."

The young gentleman dabs at his brow with a silk handkerchief and squirms uncomfortably in his seat for a moment.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"We're not fond of them, either, I can assure you." Benn pats him on the shoulder, hopefully reassuringly. "We have experience with such creatures, as well as their larger cousins."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

''Ah, well, good. If you can rid us of the vermin while investigating the caves, so much the better. ''

Gauderic tugs at his collar, loosening it.

''If you gentlemen will excuse me, I am going out for some fresh air.''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The rest of the afternoon passes quietly. Your party and the other guests all have ample time to converse, study, relax, prepare for the next day's lectures and presentations, etc. The sheriff's men aren't expected to return until tomorrow; and Mister Mirabulos has yet to make an appearance when the sun sets.

Supper is served at sundown in the guesthouse parlor. The fare is nothing fancy, just ample and hearty: crusty bread, mutton stew, and green cheese to eat and both red wine and apple brandy to drink.
Gadueric, long since recovered from his nervous spell, dines with his guests. Then Weathermay twins and several of the scholars from the academy in Pont-a-Museau attend, as well. The room is soon filled to capacity, and servants who have come along with the sages take their meals outside in the hall or the garden.

Alain has a chance to interrogate, politely but with efficiency, several of the guests. Most are older men, and most are native to Richemulot, though some have come from as far away as Dementlieu or Borca. Some work as teachers, some as consultants for hire, and several are gentlemen wealthy enough that they may devote their time to study and need not bother about paying work. They represent a variety of fields of study: natural philosophy, folklore, history, etc.