The Shattered City: Chapter Five

Online roleplaying at the Café
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Shattered City: Chapter Five

Post by lostboy »

Nerit wrote:"Good show," Nerit muttered darkly to Nicolas and Katja
"Yes I do believe we have outstayed our welcome." Nicolas drawls backing up. " Devastating as you are my dear Katja I don't fancy our chances against all of that lot, at least not once they decide to stop killing one another, shall we?" With that he backs up swiftly after Nerit, gesturing Katja to follow.

Doublemove to X31
FoS Wiz 2 is still dominated until end of Nicolas turn, if that means he still gets an attack then I'll have him charge wizard 10 and do some shadowy touching :P If not my work here is done...
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Lia moves further up the corridor. She is less fast than she would otherwise be, on account of having to pre-program the magical construct she's tugging behind her. 'Not that one, not that one,' she thinks at the thing as she walks and watches for the hand to heave itself into view, all the while keeping an eye on the people still in the last room. 'No, not that one, either. Now, heel, heel... Halt! Stay there, and attack once the people I pointed out are through. Got it? Good!'

(OOC: Lia moves up to X31, and trades her standard action for a second move action for the Bigby's Icy Grasp, which moves to AE33 and stays there with orders to attack anyone who tries to pass through after the party members have done so.)
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Thank you, Friend, Rex thought as he watched the last chain release. The pharmacist plucked the box off its resting place, tucked it into his jacket, and quietly slunk back to Athene. He patted his jacket and beckoned the revolutionary woman onward.

Thievery 36.

Rex claims his prize and slips back next to Athene. Stealth of 31. Moves back to K15!
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Mercator follows in Gauvain's wake, moving with a speed and grace which are ever-so-slightly uncanny; turning the corner, he hardly seems to pause as he glances at the figure huddled on the floor and makes two small gestures. The darkness around the shadow-mage is tinged with strange lights, and a lance of colorless energy shivers through the enemy wizard.

Move to N31, warlock's curse vs. 13, eldrich blast against 13, 26 vs. Reflex, 15 untyped damage plus 5 damage from the curse, which I presume is also untyped?
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

"Why, hello, M. Lessard! What a pleasant surprise to s--oh dear."

What was rapidly turning into a string of cheerful greetings was interrupted by the Fraternity wizard's spellcasting. A large cloud of artificial blackness now stood where Celeste had previously been, and it was making a number of earnest noises.

"Forgive me, Sir, for not pressing our conversation further, but I seem to be enmeshed in some manner of arcane obfuscation. Never fear! I shall extricate myself presently. Garments in the precise shade favored by the Andralites of yore, you understand--any moment now, and they shall sluice the very umbrage from my person. You yourself are well, I presume?"

This was accompanied by a rustling from inside the cloud, from which it seemed Celeste was trying to find an exit--while carrying on her conversation, of course. There was a small "oof" as she knocked over what sounded like a wall sconce.

Celeste stays right where she is and does not much, as she can't very well target anyone, but uses her Desperate Resolve Vestments' daily power to spend a healing surge and become "insubstantial" (in this case, in the middle of a cloud, and thus difficult to target) until the end of her next turn.
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Kerrian took stock of the situation. And quickly decided it was rather good that the situation with Gauvain never became one of physical hostility. Because some things you simply didn't confront, and this particular servant of the law was one of them. So he simply cautiously advanced while remaining on his guard.

OOC:Single move to P32, then defense as my standard
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Le Palais de Justice, Quartier-Publique, Nightfall of June 8th, 770
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PC Actions
Agale does nothing.
Celeste stays where she is, but is Insubstantial
Mercator moves and hits FW13 for 20 damage.
Nicolas moves
Lia moves (due to positioning issues, you got shoved over a square)
Kerrian moves (due to positioning issues, you got shoved over a square), defends.
Nerit moves
Rex steals the box and runs.

Recharges:
Thierri does not recharge Herme’s Fire
Andres does not recharge Frightful Force
FW1 does not recharge Strangling Darkness
FW3 does not recharge Strangling Darkness

Just realized that, given that FW13 attacked last round, he should’ve taken a further 10 Fire damage from Heat Metal. This has been accounted for.

“Keep moving, I’ll hold them off.” Andre was saying, urging the group to hurry faster up the corridor. In the distance, the mages of the Fraternity of Shadows were coming hot on Katja and Cerise’s heels. Theroux waited, holding back, and then he moved.

“Belle Dame sans Merci, open my hand.” Theroux whispered, drawing a knife from his dark coat. It was a simple enough knife, a penknife really more than a weapon. He placed his hand against the wall, the damp flesh glistening in the light, and then, with a single, sharp movement, he stabbed the back of his palm.

The blood gushed out, pale and watery, and it flowed swiftly down the corridor, far more blood than Andre could have ever contained in his body. The fountain of off-pink water coalesced into something at the end of the hall, outlining a huge form, with bat-like wings and four heavily clawed arms, a canine head with glittering, malevolent eyes.

It was a very good thing that the Lord Night Terror was on your side.

Andre delays his action till the rest of the NPCs have caught up.

Thierri asks Celeste to come with him and ducks into the next room (Whistler, if you like, you can take a retroactive move action (since Celeste didn’t move last round) to move to a square next to him.

Alice & Richard move out of the corridor.

Katja realizes that life is about to get unpleasant where she was, and uses a Run action to put some distance between herself and the mass of wizards.

Cerise does likewise.

Remy tosses off a Shatter at FW13, dealing 11 damage and killing him.

Andre scurries back now and calls up a distraction. A distraction with a whole lot of claws.

Athene decides to fall back as well.

“…This is unfortunate.” Sodalis said as the box disappeared in front of his very eyes. The black cat watched the darkness, but Rex had already disappeared back into the shadows, a veritable ghost in the poorly lit Palais de Justice. Still, Sodalis had one more trick left up his sleeve before this night was done. First things first, however.

“Simon! Jacob! He’s stolen it!” Lord Balfour de Casteele’s voice echoed through the hall, coming from nowhere in particular. This, needless to say, set the cat among the pigeons. Mischief managed, Sodalis slunk away into the shadows, stepping through the wall.

FoS Wizard #1, FoS Wizard #2, FoS Wizard #3, FoS Wizard #4, FoS Wizard #10, Summoned Horror #1 all move up. Lia, you may attack whichever one strikes your fancy.

Sodalis raises a hue and cry, then slips away. Simon and Jacob de Casteele and FoS Wizards 9, 11, and 12 start rolling minor-action Spot checks like crazy. First set of results: 27, 16, 15, 18, 11. They give up their move actions to keep trying: 28, 17, 8, 20, 19. They give up their standard actions to keep trying. 17, 19, 9, 26 (natural 20, if only the modifier didn’t suck), 10. Rex is in the clear. They do, however, notice the big group in the Eastern Corridor.

Sodalis teleports over, and decides that if you want something done, you may as well do it yourself.

The form of a cat, is by and by large, an extremely useful form for the spreading of chaos, confusion, and disruption. No one expects it, it can slip into places larger bodies cannot, and it is amusing, at least to someone of Sodalis’s peculiar humor. And yet, there comes a time when a cat cannot do all that is necessary.

Those are the times when one soaks up the ambient magic, the greatest concentration of power Port-a-Lucine has seen in almost a decade, to bring one reality into the other. Sodalis stood in the center of the unused room and breathed deeply, casting his mind far into the aether. There was power here, so much of it, the leaking arcana of a hundred spells. One merely had to gather up this power, and then one could change

Lessard watched his one-time fellow conversationalist expire, with a little assistance from the black spells in Remy’s hands. There was an impassive expression on Remy’s face, somehow bleak, yet ultimately as cold as stone. There would be time to wonder at this transformation, from student to killer, some other time. Lessard looked up into the next room, and there he saw…
Book One wrote:You can only catch it out of the corner of your eye, stalking ever closer to you on four black legs. You turn, and are consumed by twin glowing stars.

A deep chill, cold as hopelessness, cuts through your neck as inky black hands plunge into you-
“Sir, we’ve company!” Remy called, backpedaling furiously as the centauroid creature of stars and darkness loomed up out of the shadows.

Saves!

Victory Conditions:
Primary Condition

--Steal the Box of the Dead (F19) and get it either to Andre Theroux, or to one of the staging areas (and thus escaping).
Secondary Conditions
--Disperse Sodalis
--Kill Lord Balfour de Casteele
--Kill Count Wilhelm von Lovenhorst
--Kill Simon de Casteele
--Kill Jacob de Casteele
Tertiary Conditions
--Find Remy Lessard

Lose Conditions:
--Die. (This is obvious)

The Players
VIEW CONTENT:
PCs
Prof. Lia Mournswaithe (L):
49/58
AC 25; F 20, R 22, W 21; resist 10 fire,

Celeste Viardot (Cv):
45/68
AC 21+2; F 20+2, R 22+2, W 24+2

Kerrian Mauganson (K):
57/74
AC 21+2; F 22+2, R 20+2, W 23+2

~Mercator Melanchthon (M):
48/65
AC 20; F 21, R 20, W 23

Rex Alistair Prescott (R):
69/69
AC 24; F 18, R 24, W 20

Mr. Agale (A):
32/60
AC 23; F 18, R 22, W 25; resist 10 fire, 10 psychic, and 5 poison

Nicolas Etienne de Castaigne (Nc):
69/77
AC 24; F 21, R 23, W 25

Nerit Doherty (N):
60/68
AC 21+2; F 19+2, R 23+2, W 25+2

~Tomas Eisenwald (T):
58+9/71
AC 26; F 19, R 19, W 22; Resist All/1
Allies
VIEW CONTENT:
Allies
Andre Theroux (Blue At)
AC 22; F 21, R 24, W 24

Remy Lessard (Blue Rl)
AC 23; F 21, R 22, W 21

Cerise Rondelet (Blue R)
AC 20; F 19, R 20, W 21

Richard Blackwood (Blue R)
-8, +3 HP
AC 23; F 21, R 21, W 21

Thierri Boucher (Blue T)
-17 HP
AC 22; F 20, R 22, W 20

Alice Blackwood (Blue A)
-17 HP
AC 22; F 20, R 21, W 20

Katja Zweibach (Blue K)Grants CA
-17 HP
AC 25; F 22, R 21, W 21
You better hope he’s an Ally
VIEW CONTENT:
The Wild Card
Lord Night Terror (Large Green Gargoyle Icon)
AC 25; F 25, R 21, W 22

The Government
M. Gauvain (Black G)
AC 30; F 27, R 29, W 30

Red Cap 6 (Golden 7)
AC 23; F 25, R 22, W 20

Red Cap 6 (Golden 7)
AC 23; F 25, R 22, W 20
Presently Relevant Enemies (North Group)
VIEW CONTENT:
The Phane
Sodalis (Phane Icon)
AC 27; F 25, R 24, W 26

The Fraternity of Shadows

Fraternity Wizard 13 (Medium Black 13)
-106, DEAD
AC 23; F 18, R 21, W 22
Presently Relevant Enemies (South Group)
VIEW CONTENT:
Summoned Horror 1 (Large Black 1)
-73 HP; Bloodied
AC 23; F 25, R 22, W 20

Fraternity Wizard 1 (Medium Black 1) Recharging (Strangling Darkness)
-42 HP
AC 23; F 18, R 21, W 22

Fraternity Wizard 2 (Medium Black 2)
AC 23; F 18, R 21, W 22

Fraternity Wizard 3 (Medium Black 3) Recharging (Strangling Darkness)
AC 23; F 18, R 21, W 22

Fraternity Wizard 4 (Medium Black 4)
AC 23; F 18, R 21, W 22

Fraternity Wizard 10 (Medium Black 10)
AC 23; F 18, R 21, W 22
The Front Gate
VIEW CONTENT:
Allied NPCs
Guy Benoit (Blue G)
AC 30; F 31, R 31, W 30

Revolutionary (Blue Dots)
Minion
AC 26; F 23, R 22, W 21

Lord Balfour de Casteele (Black B)
AC 35; F 30, R 33, W 27

Hired Thug (Grey Dots)
Minion
AC 26; F 23, R 22, W 21

The Government
Red Cap 2 (Golden 2)
AC 23; F 25, R 22, W 20

Red Cap 3 (Golden 3)
AC 23; F 25, R 22, W 20

Red Cap 4 (Golden 4)
AC 23; F 25, R 22, W 20
The Grand Hall
VIEW CONTENT:
Simon de Casteele (Black S)
AC 22; F 22, R 23, W 21

Jacob de Casteel (Black J)
AC 22; F 22, R 23, W 21

Fraternity Wizard 9 (Medium Black 9)
AC 23; F 18, R 21, W 22

Fraternity Wizard 11 (Medium Black 11)
AC 23; F 18, R 21, W 22

Fraternity Wizard 12 (Medium Black 12)
AC 23; F 18, R 21, W 22

Summoned Horror 3 (Large Black 3)
AC 23; F 25, R 22, W 20

Summoned Horror 4 (Large Black 4)
AC 23; F 25, R 22, W 20

Hired Thug (Grey Dots)
Minion
AC 26; F 23, R 22, W 21
The Back Gate
VIEW CONTENT:

Fraternity Wizard 5 (Medium Black 5)
AC 23; F 18, R 21, W 22

Fraternity Wizard 6 (Medium Black 6)
AC 23; F 18, R 21, W 22

Summoned Horror 2 (Large Black 2)
AC 23; F 25, R 22, W 20

Hired Thug (Grey Dots)
Minion
AC 26; F 23, R 22, W 21

Others
VIEW CONTENT:
Fraternity Wizard 8 (Medium Black 8)
AC 23; F 18, R 21, W 22

The Government
Councilor Claude LaGrange (Grey lG)
AC 22; F 22, R 23, W 21

Red Cap 8 (Golden 8)
AC 23; F 25, R 22, W 20

Red Cap 9 (Golden 9)
AC 23; F 25, R 22, W 20

Allied NPCs Athene (Black A)
AC 25; F 23, R 22, W 22
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Kaitou Kage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Kaitou Kage »

Clever, friend.

Rex dove into the shadows and froze. Piercing green eyes scanned the room, watching intently for signs that someone saw him. The cloaked wizards glanced to and fro, but their gazes never rested on his hiding place.

His secrecy assured, Rex smiled.

But not clever enough.

The pharmacist darted off, through the shadows, past the lone mage and Athene, and down into the tunnel he came from.

Rex double-moves back to his entryway, shifts 2 if necessary as a minor action (though I am pretty sure he can make it there fine with a Speed 7. Then he heads into the tunnel and scurries on his way with the box.

He's going to go to ground until he gets word that the rest of you survived, then he'll go make plans to have the box delivered to the proper people.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

'Attack!' Lia thinks at the hand of frost while backing away from the aura of Lord Night Terror and closer to the others who have gone ahead. 'That one! No, not that one, that - oh, strewth!'

The giant hand lunges and misses for some reason, and the enemies keep on coming. It is at this point that Lia notices the transformed Sodalis somewhere behind her, and something - a mixture of panic and fury - allows her to transcend her usual limits. "Vae, igne!" she chants. "Inimices mees vore!" She goes to one knee to get a clear shot at her foes under Lord Night Terror, and flings a single spark back the way she came. When it detonates, it engulfs all the approaching enemies in flame, but unfortunately only singes most of them.

(OOC: Move action: Lia moves to S31.
Standard action: Lia's Icy Grasp attacks FoS 3, rolls a dismal 13.
Lia spends an action point to cast Fire Burst at AE34. Attack rolls: Vs. Horror: 32. Vs. FoS 3: 13. F0S 10: 25. FoS 4: 13. FoS 2: 14. FoS 1: 14.
The Summoned Horror and FoS10 both take 23 damage.
Minor action: Lia sustains Bigby's Icy Grasp.)
yalenusveler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by yalenusveler »

Kerrian was fairly certain things had just gone what could be politely called pear shaped. Of course, Gauvain was still a wild card but hopefully one that was in their hand. Of course, when he stepped to the side to get a better view of what was happening hands were discarded, and dealt from an entirely new deck. Kerrian's eyes went wide, unable to move from what he viewed. After all, when you're used to things in visions being allegorical presentations of the "real", seeing something from a vision translated almost exactly into the mundane world was fairly shocking.

Especially when it was something that had not so long ago given a damn good try at killing you.

"You..." Kerrian practically hissed, eyes narrowing to near slits. Within those moments several things happend as the air around Kerrian went...wrong. A bit half here, a bit half there, a bit filled with the cries of warriors of the past that called out to the present for blood. Oh, and a Giant Hawk formed of light rushing from Kerrian to crash into the former cat, exploding into a region of uplifting winds.

OOC:Move to M31. Free action to use Spirit Summons, netting me a second spirit companion. Free Action to Sudden Call First Spirit companion at L31. Minor Action to lay down a Spirits of Battle. Burst 5 centered on M31, allies get +1 to attack while within that Burst.

Standard Action to use Spirit of the Hawk's Wind on Sodalis. Wis Vs Reflex. 31 which is a Hit!. Sodalis takes 10 Radiant damage, and is Blinded untill the End of my next turn.

Also, a Burst 3 Zone appears around Sodalis. Allies within that zone may use a minor action to shift 5 squares, ignoring difficult terrain on the shift. I may move this zone 5 squares as a move action.
"Sometimes, Mr.Liquor cabinet is my only friend"
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

"Oh for buggers sake." Nicolas sighs as the second nightmarish apparition appears (or third depending on how one was disposed towards a certain monsieur Gauvain), "why couldn't you have just stayed as a cat, there could have been a quick and easy sacking and drowning, probably with the lure of fresh fish, but no you had to turn into a giant nightmarish umm.. horsey thing." Whether he expected the monologue to reach for whatever now passed for Sodalis' ears was debatable, but regardless the poet seemed inclined to do something about the apparition.

"Right everyone, how about a game to pass the time until our mortal coils get shuffled? How about "pin the tail on the big scary nightmare thing? Sorry I forgot my prize bag therefore it'll have to be just a buoyant sense of well being to anyone who manages it!" He calls stepping forward.

Free action: Virtue of Valor on Remy granting him 3 temp hp's for downing the FoS guy
Move: to R31
Stirring Shout on Sodalis: 25 vs Will with Kerrians mods and combat advantage which is still a miss *dammit*
Effect: Anyone hitting Sodalis until end of the encounter regains 5 hp's
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Mercator twists his head well over to the left and stares for a long moment at a point a little to the left of Remy's head; nodding briskly, he turns his face forward again and speaks in a low, clear voice. What he says is not in any earthly language, but the crown of light you have seen at previous times appears about his brow, and a lance of purple-white light enters (how?) and spears the centaur-like phane.

Zapping commences: Move to a square where I have a clear shot...N30 will do. Crown of Stars, 26 vs Reflex, against Sodalis. That hits, yes? 29 radiant damage and 3 curse damage, and if Sodalis is so unfortunate as to be bloodied already, he's immobilized.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

The cloud of artificial gloom dispersed, and a rather sheepish looking Celeste emerged, straightening the wall fixture where she had reattached it. She brightened somewhat upon seeing that the Fraternity mage had been incapacitated, though--tinged with the appropriate degree of gravity, of course, respect for fallen foes and all that. She was not, however, having inconvenient spells cast at her anymore, which was a relief. It was also apparent that she thought he was only unconscious.

"Ah! You see: one must only arrive bedecked in the appropriate accoutrements, and one's natural resistance to energies umbral must perforce shine forth! I only regret that--ah--"

At a moment that was certainly not the exact moment that Celeste first glimpsed Sodalis, but was some other moment, a chandelier fell on Sodalis. This chandelier was extremely large, and exquisitely crafted of only the heaviest metals, sharpest crystal, and burning-est arcane light sources, all of which were lit at present. Because it was night-time, and chandeliers were lit when it was night-time, especially chandeliers which had always been lit at night-time in this room of the Palais because they had also been there to be lit on previous nights during the night-time.

No, stop thinking what you were about to think this instant. Clearly, you had just not bothered to look closely up at the ceiling of the room before just now. That was clearly the reason for why you were about to think that, and shut up.

Instead, the group of you watched several tons of plummeting ironwork gouge several hundred miniature exploding arcane light fixtures into Sodalis’s back, neck, and face. Several of you were able to compare this to other falling chandelier attacks you had seen in other final battles, in other Dementlieuse public buildings. This one was pretty good, too.

Celeste, for the first time in a while, was nearly speechless.

“…Might somebody tell me what has been going on?”

Celeste shifts to O31. A chandelier uses Chromatic Orb, and then an action point, and then Reeling Torment! I didn't know chandeliers used action points.

-The Chromatic Orb hits with a 24 to Reflex on the nose, and does 22 points of Radiant damage and dazes Sodalis (save ends).

-The Reeling Torment whiffs, but still does 28/2=14 Psychic damage, and Sodalis gets slid one square every turn, but not this turn because he's pretty well positioned. Save ends that too.

-Remember, both of these attacks ignore Sodalis's resistances thanks to Wyrmtooth Dagger power!
Cronax
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cronax »

Seeing the shadowy abomination stagger under a deluge of violent energies and chandeliers, Mr. Agale decided that particular threat could safely be ignored for the moment. Mr Prescott's plight however, could quickly take a turn for the worse if distractions were not implemented.

Throwing open the door, he shouts out across the grand hall "Throw down your arms and surrender yourselves, you have already lost the day!"
Eschewing pretense, the Tollere releases a sizeable wave of psychic energy, sapping the will to live from a few nearby mages.

Move: Going to L27
Minor: Opening the door
Standard Augment 2 Dishearten Centered on FOS12
*FOS12 29 vs will hits
*FOS11 25 vs will hits
*Thug 21 vs will hits
The mages take 17 psychic damage and a -5 to attack rolls Until the end of Agale's next turn. The thug is now a vegetable.
Prepping an immediate: Intellect Fortress
"In normal times, evil would be fought by good. But in times like these, it must be fought by a different kind of evil."
Nerit
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nerit »

Nerit stopped in her tracks. She turned completely around and grabbed Andre by the forearm. The blood and its Terror was already loose.

"What did you say? What did you say, Theroux?" she hissed.

And then, like the wind that prickles the back of the neck, the nun peered back to the end of the hall where the twisted, misty form of Sodalis, Prodito, Amities---or whatever his true name was now stood. The rat on her shoulder squirmed and hid further within her locks.

Nerit, however, did not move. A flash of purple shot through the hall, the crackle of thunder only a split second behind.

Move: Let's say Q32
Standard: Rolled a 1 on attack.
AP: Lightning Strike -- Att 28 vs 2- whatever REF Sodalis
hit: 15 lightning damage
Petroselinum, salvia, ros marinus, et thymus.
Nuray Solak