New Ravenloft Game

Discussing all things Ravenloft
seanadams
Conspirator
Conspirator

New Ravenloft Game

Post by seanadams »

Hi all,

I am looking to run my first ever campaign in Ravenloft 3.5 as I am a big horror fan.

I wanted my PC's to have a wide choice so I have told them they can be any character from any of the realms ie Eberron, Forgotten Realms etc being grabbed by the mists and brought to Ravenloft. I am creating my own opening then I want to use pre-made supplements probably the Grand Conjunction supplements Night Of the Walking dead etc. Has anyone done anything like this and can you give me any tips?

Also I want to be able to use a morality scale which has good/neutral/evil so that if a PC commits a evil act kill someone without motivation or to save someone they get a -3 points and they move down the scale or if they save someone they get + points and move up the scale. If the points take them to evil they become more susceptible to evil influences eg hearing voices, seeing images etc. Would this work? And again any tips would be appreciated?
woodsdarkman
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: New Ravenloft Game

Post by woodsdarkman »

Night of the walking Dead is a great place to start since it is a good low level adventure and if you want to play the Grand Conjunction then it is part of the series. Then work your way up through the Grand Conjunction series by level. Use Book of Crypts, Chilling Tales, and any of the Children of the Night series as filler if you need it. On Ship of Horror you may have to bring it down a few levels to give your players a chance.
Then end it with Roots of Evil. I always just used the powers check system to screw with peoples alignment if they acted out of character. I tended to like the ten or twelve stage system of the powers check.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I've personally never had much of an issue with PC's doing evil acts. I just use the powers check rules as written and rarely have had to roll one other than for spells. I guess my players have played mostly "good" PCs.

Another option is Nathan's Unified Theory of Powers Checks.

Or the "Taint" rules from Heroes of Horror. (Though I find that too often Taint happens to a character without regard for their actions and choices).

But a simple sliding scale could work too. Depends on what kind of characters you have in the party, really. Not worth devoting too much thought to it unless you know they are going for a "fighting the darkness within" type of character arc.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
BedrockBrendan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by BedrockBrendan »

woodsdarkman wrote:Night of the walking Dead is a great place to start since it is a good low level adventure and if you want to play the Grand Conjunction then it is part of the series. Then work your way up through the Grand Conjunction series by level. Use Book of Crypts, Chilling Tales, and any of the Children of the Night series as filler if you need it. On Ship of Horror you may have to bring it down a few levels to give your players a chance.
Then end it with Roots of Evil. I always just used the powers check system to screw with peoples alignment if they acted out of character. I tended to like the ten or twelve stage system of the powers check.
I second Walking Dead. Blood in Moondale from book of Crypts (a great source of material for first adventures) is another excellent choice.
G man
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by G man »

Man what a coincidence! I just finished DMing NOTWD in my last session over this past weekenend! I was very pleased with the way things turned out. My players loved it as well. Anyway, I am running my campaign with a similar approach. Aside from a couple home brewed adventures I kicked the campaign off with, I have thus far have used: Rebirth, by Stuart Turner from the Forgotten Children netbook, Funeral Procession from Dungeon Magazine issue 135, The Created, and NOTWD. After a couple more side treks in Souragne involving Chicken Bone and possibly an appearence by Misroi, I plan on running Howls In the Night when the Party sails home to Mordent. The players have not yet put me in a position to make any powers checks, so I can't really give tips on this issue. Sorry.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
-Edgar Allan Poe