THe Created Module---Hook Concern

Discussing all things Ravenloft
BedrockBrendan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

THe Created Module---Hook Concern

Post by BedrockBrendan »

I am probably going to run the Created in my next campaign. My problem is the hook as written is very restrictive. Was hoping people might have some ideas (since in this case the hook is very much tied to the adventure itself).

The issue I have is the module is supposed to start outside of Ravenloft. The PCs pass through Odiare, the day it get's sucked into the dempiplane of dread. My party will already be in Ravenloft when I run the created, and they will most likley be in Nova Vaasa. Any ideas?
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: THe Created Module---Hook Concern

Post by Deewun »

When I used the Created in my pirate campaign, I just goofed with the landscape a bit so that my crew could get their by boat, and sailing a bit through the mists.

An interesting hook could be finding a lost child in Kantora or Bergovista or wherever in Nova Vaasa you wanna be, who doesn't know how he got there, and doesn't speak the language. Doesn't speak any language that is known. You can then take him to see Dr. Illhousen, or perhaps a linguist of some kind, on a short side mission, creating an endearing NPC for your players to get used to. Once you find a way to speak with him, you gotta try to get him home. Hire an anchorite, find some vistani, or just wander blindly into the mists (or have the kid help you get lost in the city you found him, and as you twist and turn, you suddenly find yourself in Odaire). Lots of opportunities.
BedrockBrendan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by BedrockBrendan »

Deewun wrote:When I used the Created in my pirate campaign, I just goofed with the landscape a bit so that my crew could get their by boat, and sailing a bit through the mists.

An interesting hook could be finding a lost child in Kantora or Bergovista or wherever in Nova Vaasa you wanna be, who doesn't know how he got there, and doesn't speak the language. Doesn't speak any language that is known. You can then take him to see Dr. Illhousen, or perhaps a linguist of some kind, on a short side mission, creating an endearing NPC for your players to get used to. Once you find a way to speak with him, you gotta try to get him home. Hire an anchorite, find some vistani, or just wander blindly into the mists (or have the kid help you get lost in the city you found him, and as you twist and turn, you suddenly find yourself in Odaire). Lots of opportunities.
I suppose my bigger concern is that the adventure is supposed to occur the day Odiare moves to Ravenloft. So changing that kind of changes the adventure itself (with Maligno killing the adults that day and everything).
Deewun
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Deewun »

*shrug* Just have Maligno wait as he is learning his new found powers. You can fudge things like geography and timeline to make sure the adventure happens on the timeline you need it to.
BedrockBrendan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by BedrockBrendan »

Deewun wrote:*shrug* Just have Maligno wait as he is learning his new found powers. You can fudge things like geography and timeline to make sure the adventure happens on the timeline you need it to.
Having him wait might work well. I suppose his coming into ravenloft doesn't have to link directly to the murders.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Possibly you could reengineer the story to take place when the generation of children who've grown up since the Mists claimed Odaire have grown too mature for the puppet-darklord to tolerate anymore. You could show the PCs signs that a new massacre may be coming, and give them a chance to prevent it. The party could also encounter phantoms of the adults Maligno killed the first time, still acting out the circumstances of their demise.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
BedrockBrendan
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by BedrockBrendan »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Possibly you could reengineer the story to take place when the generation of children who've grown up since the Mists claimed Odaire have grown too mature for the puppet-darklord to tolerate anymore. You could show the PCs signs that a new massacre may be coming, and give them a chance to prevent it. The party could also encounter phantoms of the adults Maligno killed the first time, still acting out the circumstances of their demise.
I like that. It doesn't require too many alterations to the material in the module, and it makes a lot of sense.
CNJRavenFan
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by CNJRavenFan »

I've run the module twice. The first time, I ran it, as written, on our home world, using the module as a one shot. The next time I used it, I made "The Created" one of the tales in "The Tome of Terror." The PC's now have the artifact and are struggling to get rid of it and/or at least make sure it doesn't get opened and read aloud again. Of course, if you're planning on using Odiare again in the future, this might not be a good fit for your campaign.
G man
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by G man »

When I ran this module a few monthes ago there were only three pcs in the group so I had Aldo the constable tag along as an npc. There was was a little girl wandering the streets alone. The carrionettes hijacked a carriage and she was in their path. Aldo was making his way to grab her out of harms way. There was a second group of carrionettes lingering in the shadows nearby in an alleyway. He became immobilized by their paralyzing needles just before he reached her. Now there were two standing in the street about to be squashed. The closest pc had a decision to make. Does he save Aldo or does he save the girl. The fool chose to dive and push Aldo out of the way! Poor girl. It was the most shocking moment in all my experiences of gaming. Now she haunts him every night...
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
-Edgar Allan Poe