A New Barovia: Chapter One

Online roleplaying at the Café
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: A New Barovia: Chapter One

Post by steveflam »

Round 1

Adam and Khalfani cast their spells. However, once they are cast the effects fizzle out. Upon an adjacent rooftop is another figure now appearing. A woman in a robe! She has cast a Dispel magic on the area in which Adam and Khalfani are.

Thomas sheathes his swords and retrieves his pistol, his action over. Robert sees there is no higher ground and prepares himself accordingly.

Marilee jumps forward and swings at the closest badger. The rest of the badgers close in but don't attack. They move to surround you. The badger Marilee swung at bites at her twice! It misses, however. The Werebadger on the other rooftop appears to be laughing until it's face screws up in rage. Besdie it appears the Pseudodragon Rizzin and it has cast a spell on the lycanthrope. A blast of fire explodes from the rooftop even as Rizzin disappears. The werebadger is definitely hurt yet remains standing. In a flash of an eye, it disappears in a flash of smoke and brimstone.

Below, the badgers now appear to be confused and turning their backs on you, they scurry away at a slow pace.

The woman on the other rooftop salutes you all and turns away, running very fast in the opposite direction.
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Khalfani waits for a few seconds before he dares to move again. The only sounds in the alleyway are the fading click-clack of the retreating badgers' claws, the distant crackle of wood smoldering on the roof above them, and the breathing of his companions.

"Teluekeli verici," the bronze-skinned gnome finally says. "That was ... worrisome." He places the potion back inside his robes. "I tried to use a defensive spell, but that foul woman prevented it! Our werebadger foe is not without allies. Fortunately, we have allies as well. I shall have to give Rizzin many tasty treats when next I see him. Is everyone well?

"In any event, whether by our actions in the militia headquarters or our visit to Arselius, our foe views us as a threat. This may sound strange, my friends, but take warmth in that knowledge. If our foe believed he was beyond our power, he would not have done this."
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Adam looks up perplexed. He waves at Rizzin though and says:

"I bet that woman was Deselnora. I have no idea why she casted that spell that neutralized ours but I'm sure was her. Rizzin wouldn't go alone. I also agree with Khalfani, our foe believed we were an easy much for him but now he will take us more seriously. We need to be more careful from now on. Lets go back to the inn and try to find Deselnora except if you prefer to continue our way to the other bard."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

As Marilee leaps forwards, her sword seems to shimmer in her hand, and it leaps out with blinding speed

"Steel Wind!"

For an instant it is hard to tell which of the two leading badgers it is striking towards: then it suddenly becomes clear that it is both

[Badger A:

Attack: 11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3171873/)

Damage: 10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3171874/)

Badger B:

Attack: 27 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3171875/)

Damage: 13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3171876/)]
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

VAN wrote:Adam looks up perplexed. He waves at Rizzin though and says:

"I bet that woman was Deselnora. I have no idea why she casted that spell that neutralized ours but I'm sure was her. Rizzin wouldn't go alone."
"I disagree, Adam," says Khalfani. "Clearly that was not Delsenora, or she would have engaged our foes, not aided them. Rizzin has likely been watching over us, probably on her orders. I am glad for this!

"As for where we should go next, I had agreed with returning to the inn... before this attack. Again, I must pause to wonder if our foe is anticipating our movements, and my suspicion of Master Arselius certainly has not gotten smaller. If we delay until the morning to speak with Master Lemay, I fear we may find only a corpse. I suggest that we risk the rudeness of a late-night visit -- and possibly another attack -- and continue to his residence. Yes?"
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Agreement all around to visiting this George Lemay, the party approaches his address, but a hop and a skip away from where they are. Excitement still fresh, you approach the door. A tiny voice invades your minds, that of Rizzin.
"Mistress Delsenora sent me to keep an eye on you. Luckily, you are safe from those fiends. Feel comfort here at Mister Lemay's. He will mean you no harm and answer your queries truthfully. I am happy you are safe. I go now, so be safe."

You are now at the address. An old building, nondescript. Brick and mortar. A thick wooden door. No windows except on the door. A weak light peeks through the window on the door.
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

"It looks as if somebody is awake at this hour. Lets not keep them waiting." Thomas knocks.
While waiting for an answer he picks up a conversational tone with the others. "It may not be a bad idea to return to the sight of the ambush in the street during the day. We may be able to pick up a trail and with luck discover the creatures lair."
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Khalfani nods at Thomas' comment. "Also," he says, in a somewhat awkward tone, "I may be able to get more information from one of the badgers, oddly enough. Although the only creatures that burrow under the sands of Har'Akir are giant scorpions and other unpleasant things, I am blessed to say that certain hereditary gifts still run strong in my gnomish blood. One such gift is the ability to speak with creatures such as badgers. The difficult task will be finding a badger around here when it is not raging under the control of our foe." He looks up and down the street as they wait for the door to open.
--W. Somerset Maugham
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Yes good idea Thomas, in daylight we may see something we missed during the night. Better go on the roof as well where the were-badger was standing before disappear."

Adam stands behind Thomas and waits the door to open.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Footsteps can be heard from within and then a curtain parts, a face peering through the window. The curtain falls back and the locks can be heard turning. The door opens to reveal a middle aged man with glasses.

"Yes?," he asks in a meek voice. "The hour is late, so I presume you are here on business? Who might I ask told you of me?"
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Exuse us for the time Mr Lemay, my name is Adam Thunderstorm. I do realize that is late now but we really need your advice. The bartender Quorin made your name when we asked about a bard that can help us with a really important matter"

Adam looks nervously around and continues in lower voice:

"I'm sorry but I can't really tell you what is it about at the door step, I don't know if anyone has followed us here."
Last edited by VAN on Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- W H A T ! ? !
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Wonderful idea, Thomas." Robert agrees about returning to the attack site. "We should go there early too!".

Then he waits for Lemay to let them in.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Lemay observes everyone, listening to Adam. "Ah, well Quorrin is a good mate of mine. As well he is a good judge of character. Do come in." He moves to the side of the door so you can all enter. Inside is a room full of books, like a library. There are tables and books litter each one. There are even books piled on the floor here or there in a very disorderly manner.

He leads you to a smaller room, if you can call it that. A fireplace on the opposite wall heats the room. The other two walls contain libraries of books. Mr Lemay takes a seat in an armchair near the fireplace. There are a few chairs as such as well as one loveseat. "Do take a seat and explain yourselves further."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Thank you Mr Lemay for letting us in that late."

Adam gets in and follows the bard barely looking at the books. He is expecting a famous bard like Lemay to have many books but this wasn't the time to look at them. The cleric gets a seat beside the fireplace and says:

"Well sir, are here to seek some advice about lycanthropes and the werebadgers in particular. You see, we try to help the Militia with to solve these tremendous murder problem. It has been another one today, don't know if you have heard. We managed to find out that a werebadger is involved and we would like to know if you know any weakness these creatures have. Anything you know about them might be useful."
- W H A T ! ? !
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

"Yes, truly," says Khalfani as Lemay allows the group to enter. Once inside, he bows to their host. "I am Khalfani Fenimikk. People seem to know my name, foreign as it must sound, because of my time in this land. I am honored to meet... you...." His dark eyes grow wide at the stacks of books, and he is silent for several seconds before saying, "I hope that the winds of fortune blow upon us all this night."
"Well sir, are here to seek some advice about lycanthropes and the werebadgers in particular. You see, we try to help the Militia with to solve these tremendous murder problem. It has been another one today, don't know if you have heard. We managed to find out that a werebadger is involved and we would like to know if you know any weakness these creatures have. Anything you know about them might be useful."
After Adam speaks, the gnome adds, "Indeed. A man as clearly well read as you may have already made some educated assumption about the recent grim events. We have come to you for aid. As strong as bronze and iron are, struggles such as this are often won with the mind."
--W. Somerset Maugham