A New Barovia: Chapter One

Online roleplaying at the Café
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: A New Barovia: Chapter One

Post by Ail »

Robert accepts the offer of coffer, but then stays silent as the others question Arselius. He is intrigued by the reference to a Van Richten book.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

VAN wrote:Adam doesn't mask his disappointlemt when the bard told them that he doesn't have the book anymore and he doesn't know the werebadger's weaknes. However he says in a polite tone:

"You are right Mr Arselius, we indeed ask about this particular lycanthrope because we believe that might has to do with the murders. You can be sure that as soon as we learn something more about these ville creatures we will come and inform you."

After a small silence Adam speaks again:

"If I may ask Mr Arselius, may you tell us who borrowed your precious book? and why you haven't claimed it back? Don't get me wrong sir, but Doctor Van Richten's books are quite precious and rare and I'm sure a man that loves the knowledge and the lore as you do would love to have that kind of book among his collection."

"Young Adam, you may ask about who has borrowed my book, but I have the right to refuse your query. My clients identities remain my knowledge and I respect their privacy one hundred percent. Wouldn't you? Thank you for your offer of coming to inform me. You appear to be disappointed about the information I have given you. If I had more, I would gladly give it if only to help you."

The Unseen Servant arrives with refreshments at this point. Whomever wants an ale, tea or coffee can have one. It leaves after that.

Arselius turns to Khalfani now.
Ken of Ghastria wrote:"Master Arselius," says Khalfani, "you do not seem surprised to learn that a werebadger may be responsible for the murders. Did you have your own suspicions? Or perhaps your 'friend' did...?"
"I keep my ear to the ground, Khalfani. And yes I do suspect a Werebadger is responsible for these murders as did my friend. My friend, however, is on another mission and could not stay here and investigate further. I am sorry if I am not more forthcoming but as I said, I respect my friend's and clients privacy as I am sure you would. I do know that you all work for the city guard now , but I reserve the right to protect my friends's identity." He smiles and runs his fingers through his beard, pensive.
BigBadQDaddy wrote:Thomas perks up from his perusal of the nicknacks and trinkets displayed in the room when he hears the exchange between the old man and Adam. The man actually had a Van Richten book. Sure Thomas had to have looked through the books a dozen times each when he was younger, but to have the reference would be invaluable.
"Yes, Mr. Arselius, if at all possible we would like to arrange a meeting with this contact. Surely such a book would help a great deal."
"Ah, Thomas. You are quite the eager beaver. I can attempt to reach my friend. It may take some time, but I am positive that they will be more than willing to meet with you when they have the time for it. I must confess that I have several incantations in place here and," he winks at the young Cante at this and turning to Khalfani, chuckles, "I promise you if I ever get a book by the famous doctor, I will let you see it first hand. Have we a deal? I must ask you, how is your mother doing these days?" Here he offers the young man a bigger than normal smile and then sits back, hands in his lap.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Robert shrugs nonchallantly and says

"You are very kind, sir Arselius, and I understand your reservations. You have given us confirmation, more or less, of our hypothesis, and that is good. But now, the most important for us is 'how to track' that werebadger.

If you were not that surprised, perhaps you are aware of... huh... possible suspects of being in that condition? Or perhaps you could point us in a direction to investigate.... you know, while you locate your friend again. It may be a while, and I for one do not like to be idle."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Ha ha ha, Robert. Clever question if I must say. Unfortunately, I have no suspects if not to say this. A Werebadger, in general is not a tall person. Search for short folk is my advice to you all."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"I don't doubt your honesty Mr Arselius. I'm sure that if you could you would have told us the name of your friend. I'm not disappointed by that, but for not be able to take a look at the rare book of the famous doctor. But if you manage to arrange us a meeting with him will be really great and will help us a lot. Thank you."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

"Yes, thank you," says Khalfani, helping himself to coffee. The strong aroma reminds him of certain spices back home. "I do empathize with your position, and I hope that your friend agrees to make himself -- or herself -- available to speak with us. I am curious, though, as to whether you have other of Van Richten's works available for borrowing...?" The gnome smiles knowingly, clearly not expecting a positive response but simply wanting to gauge Arselius' mood.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

tarlyn wrote:"Ah, Thomas. You are quite the eager beaver. I can attempt to reach my friend. It may take some time, but I am positive that they will be more than willing to meet with you when they have the time for it. I must confess that I have several incantations in place here and," he winks at the young Cante at this and turning to Khalfani, chuckles, "I promise you if I ever get a book by the famous doctor, I will let you see it first hand. Have we a deal? I must ask you, how is your mother doing these days?" Here he offers the young man a bigger than normal smile and then sits back, hands in his lap.
Thomas seems slightly put on guard by the question. "My mother is doing well." He responds with an air of reservation. "Might I ask how you know her? I have never heard mention of you."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ken of Ghastria wrote:"Yes, thank you," says Khalfani, helping himself to coffee. The strong aroma reminds him of certain spices back home. "I do empathize with your position, and I hope that your friend agrees to make himself -- or herself -- available to speak with us. I am curious, though, as to whether you have other of Van Richten's works available for borrowing...?" The gnome smiles knowingly, clearly not expecting a positive response but simply wanting to gauge Arselius' mood.

"Ah, unfortunately I have no other of his most valuable tomes in my possession. Khalfani. The one I did give lend is the only one I ever did
have the most grand fortune to hold in these very old hands. As to the identity of the person in possession of the book I will tell you in response to Thomas query."
BigBadQDaddy wrote:
tarlyn wrote:"Ah, Thomas. You are quite the eager beaver. I can attempt to reach my friend. It may take some time, but I am positive that they will be more than willing to meet with you when they have the time for it. I must confess that I have several incantations in place here and," he winks at the young Cante at this and turning to Khalfani, chuckles, "I promise you if I ever get a book by the famous doctor, I will let you see it first hand. Have we a deal? I must ask you, how is your mother doing these days?" Here he offers the young man a bigger than normal smile and then sits back, hands in his lap.
Thomas seems slightly put on guard by the question. "My mother is doing well." He responds with an air of reservation. "Might I ask how you know her? I have never heard mention of you."

"Ah, the reason for my query to your mother is very simple, young Cante. Is not your mother half of the most famous Weathermay twins? I know their Uncle George has long since passed on. Your mother would have no need of this book, I am right in presuming. However, your aunt would find it very useful as she still hunts, no? So she is the one I have lent the book to. I do not know when she will be back. However, seeing as your are her family I will let her know as soon as possible you wish to see and read the book. This may take some time so please do be patient."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Robert eyes Thomas with a new look, and almost jumps to pat him in the back.

"Hey hey, we have a celebrity in the house!"

he cheers, but not in a jesting tone.
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Thomas narrows his eyes as Robert congratulates him. This sort of attention was precisely what the young man intended to avoid.
"And it would do us a great load of good to keep that information to ourselves. The last thing our quarry needs to realize is who I am related to." He remains silent for a few moments in thought. Perhaps Laurie was near. What a boon that would be. Of course such hopes would have to be disregarded as he had to work with what was at hand and not play at scenarios.
He straitens up and has gained his usual casual indifference in the features of his face, though his right hand fidgets a bit before folds his hands casually behind his back. "So, you do not have the book at this time." Said as a statement rather than a question. "Then if the rest of us have no more further inquiries for the gentlemen, perhaps we should press on?"
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Adam pays a look of concern at his friend, he knew about his famous mother but also knew how Thomas didn't like talk about that. So he just says:

"I think we have already wasted too much of Mr Arselius precious time and it's better leave now. Thank you for the great help sir. Be sure that we will come back and inform you about the werebadgers as soon as we can."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Khalfani nods. The dark-skinned gnome is starting to get the feeling that Arselius is questioning them, rather than the other way around. "Yes," he says, putting down the coffee, "we have disturbed your quiet enough for one day, sir. Thank you again. Of course, you know where you can find us if you have more information." He smiles briefly.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Robert smiles at Thomas and says with a warm tone.

"Cheer up and relax a bit. I know this is serious, but it's no use going about all doom and gloom like that. Best defense against darkness is to keep a smile on your face... darkness from within, at least."

Then in a more serious tone, showing a straight face that he was sometimes capable of:

"I won't tell a word if you don't want it, but I am amazed, indeed, that you are a Weathermay. Even I have heard that name before!

Now, now, let's go back to the fresh air. I yearn to do something at least.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Arselius nods to everyone. "I thank you for your kind words. Please do come inform me of any information you might obtain and I will keep you informed of any information I might learn 0of in the future. Let yourselves out." He exits the chamber.

As you are exiting the shop, there is no sign of him to be found. The sun is low, as sundown is upon you. Walking back towards your destination, the night is upon you now. No people populate the streets. The only sight you can see, besides buildings and Goblyns is lights.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Ah... perhaps a good time to return to the inn, then?"