Submissions for QtR Halloween 2011 opened!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
ScS of the Fraternity

Re: Submissions for QtR Halloween 2011 opened!

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Hello Alhoon,

After much debate, name calling, and some crying, we have decided that this year's Quoth the Raven will indeed have a theme.
As we have done in the past, we selected our subject using the most scientifically stringent means of determining a topic: We stapled the names of random ideas to some witless peasants and locked them in a room with our secretary, Drusilla. After an hour, whichever one was still alive (or least mangled) was declared the winner.

We had some real close contenders this year; "Flying Monsters" survived multiple stab wounds, and "Asian Domains" made an inspired, if ill-fated attempt to tunnel to freedom. Certainly none of us will forget the heroic stand of "Edible Elementals" against the army of paper-dolly golems.
Yet this year's winner stands head and shoulders above the rest; mainly because she was the only one to retain both her head and her shoulders. We have no idea what her name is, but the piece of paper pinned to her back will be immortalized in print.

This year's theme will be:
Technology.

We will be looking for articles that involve technology in Ravenloft. We are especially looking for articles that broach technology appropriate to the domains in which it is found. This will range from the humble mills and looms found in the central core, to the intricate clockwork devices of Lamordia, all the way to the shining brass steam powered engines of Paridon.

But be warned! "Technology" peasant managed to chew through the bars of her cage before we could test her for the source of her resilience. She may still be lurking nearby....
Evil Reigns!!!!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Hello Alhoon,

After much debate, name calling, and some crying, we have decided that this year's Quoth the Raven will indeed have a theme.
As we have done in the past, we selected our subject using the most scientifically stringent means of determining a topic: We stapled the names of random ideas to some witless peasants and locked them in a room with our secretary, Drusilla. After an hour, whichever one was still alive (or least mangled) was declared the winner.

We had some real close contenders this year; "Flying Monsters" survived multiple stab wounds, and "Asian Domains" made an inspired, if ill-fated attempt to tunnel to freedom. Certainly none of us will forget the heroic stand of "Edible Elementals" against the army of paper-dolly golems.
Yet this year's winner stands head and shoulders above the rest; mainly because she was the only one to retain both her head and her shoulders. We have no idea what her name is, but the piece of paper pinned to her back will be immortalized in print.
I knew it! Damn it. I like the Edible Elementals too. You guys should give Dru more say around here. I'm jealous of those who got stuck in the room with her.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

This may amaze some, but I do have a few ideas for a article in mind. I might yet get it typed up. If it happens, expect the long awaited return of the Vallaki Witch :)

EDIT - 2 pages typed up so far. This might be a interesting article. No rules at all, just pure fluff ;)
Swallow your soul!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Woao, cool, Meg is back! :)

Great news to see you back to writing, dude!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
DasSoviet
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by DasSoviet »

Just saw this thread stickied up here - meaning I rolled multiple 1s on my spot checks here for months. If I was in the Demiplane of Dread, I would currently be being stalked by a werewolf, vampire, spectre, elven assassin, flesh golumn, and a zombie horde, and not realize it. Thank the small mercies I'm in a world a bit more forgiving than that...

Anyhow, seeing this issue's theme, I must now make the extra effort required to get something submitted to this edition of QTR... as a fan of all this brass, bronze, and steampunky in his RPGs, this is too good an opportunity to pass up. I have a domain called Newumberland I've worked on for a couple years now, and I've even run a few campaigns on it. It's based off of 1870s-ish New England, steam trains and early electrical grids and universities searching into the unknown and all included. God's willing, I'll be able to finish it up here in time so that other folks can take a whack at it!
VIEW CONTENT:
Greetings, Citizens! A reminder: Happiness is mandatory. Those not enjoying themselves shall find themselves terminated.
Joël of the FoS

Great map, sounds cool! :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by MichaelTumey »

Argh! I would love to write you an article about Kaidan, but I'm afraid I miss out on two major requirements for submission.

1. It would fall under "Asian Nations" and not "Technology".

2. (The bigger issue) Its not Ravenloft. Because mine is a published setting, adventure arc and supplements for PFRPG, And I am not WotC - Ravenloft is not my IP.

Too bad really, because Kaidan is the closest thing to being an Asian Ravenloft and not getting sued for it - even the reviewers think so! (Note as stated by the last review of the first adventure for Kaidan)

If the 'Dark Powers that be' could make an exception, I'd love to write you about the horrors of Kaidan...

Edit: I could write you up an encounter based on the monsters and situations of Kaidan, using the Pathfinder GMG Haunt mechanic, and somehow squeeze some technology into it - something that could be used in a Ravenloft campaign, but that's the closest I could get...

Michael
Joël of the FoS

Hello Michael,

A yearly theme is just a guide to help people, and give a personality to each release, but be sure QtR will accept any article that's not within this theme!

As long as it is horror, and it's solid, it's in.

There are many fans of the asian themed Ravenloft domains here, I'm sure they would like to read your work.

Is your thing working with Paizo's 3,75? If so, don't worry, there are many fans of this great system here, me included, and we gladly accept this.

We accept any editions and (nearly) any system. Because our position is: as long as the fluff is interesting, people here will dig it.

Joël
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by MichaelTumey »

Well, I'll see what I can do. The next couple weeks I'm doing freelance work on parts of the Jade Regent AP for Paizo including a map, aside from continued work on Kaidan. Perhaps later in August I can look to do something interesting! :)

Michael
Joël of the FoS

That would be great!

Joël
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

What cultural levels are we talking about? Could we bring some accomplishments made further than Renaissance (which ends in 1660)?

Does Alchemy counts as technology? I mean like the herbalism things in the Gaz.

How about technomancy?

I think in the past I've submitted with ScS an "extended" CLevel timeline to encompass enlightment and early industrial.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Hi Alhoon,

Any cultural level applies. Changes in technology has impacted society at all times in history.

Take for example, the story of Hero of Alexandria. He was a greek mechanical genius at the tail end of the Classical age. Hero invented a number of technological devices to help the priests of the classical gods. He created a drum in the ceiling of the temple of Zeus, to generate thunder sound effects. He created a statue that accepted coins and dispensed holy water - the first vending machine. Hero is best known for creating the first steam engine - an impractical but impressive toy powered by fire.

Technology can definitely encompass advances made after the renaissance, within reason. Surely no one minds Spanish-style galleons plying the Sea of Sorrow. The USS Monitor, on the other hand, is not likely to be acceptable.

Alchemy would definitely fall more towards the magical side of the equation. Alchemy for its part is powered by the spiritual essence of the alchemist. technology, on the other hand, is powered only by the natural forces of the universe - be that thermal expansion, magnetism, gravity, or what have you. It takes an Alchemist to make alchemy - but technology requires no one.

Certainly there is nothing to stop wizards or alchemists from combining their arcane arts with scientific invention, though, there could be unforeseen consequences.
Evil Reigns!!!!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I'll make a hopefully short 4E adventure based on an idea of Jack of Tears, but I'll propably need more than 2 weeks! :(
Also, I would need an editor since I'm not a native English speaker.

About Alchemy: I was thinking more among the lines of "I combine the boil product of petroleum (3 cups), a few dried cow feces, quicklime (1 cup), sulphur (4-5 spoons), stir the mix well, close the ceramic vase very well, seal it with wax. If the mix contacts water, it burns with a fire that can't be extinguished with water. Before use I vigorously shake it and then I have it thrown on enemy ships with catapults, or I open the vase and throw the contents on the enemies using siphons like the dwarves do. "
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Not quite technology related, but I decided to do an update of my Van Richten article for Pathfinder, as well as adapt the relevant magical items to their format.
It didn't seem like enough new content so I also penned PF statblocks for the Twins and George Weathermay.
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Oh, plus my big trait article, which is also 99.87% done.