The Devil's Dreams, Chapter Five

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Devil's Dreams, Chapter Five

Post by ewancummins »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:Dorgio shakes his head at Rotwang's question. "No...now that I'm thinking of it, his hands were not always like this. Those fingers, they are new!"

"And that cloak is Cirdan's! These are evil signs...we must leave this place and regroup, and find out what in the nine hells has befallen us."

Rotwang tugs at his gray beard.

''I thought he was a nice man, but perhaps I was wrong? I'm worried about this..."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:He pauses a moment at the mention of Laurie. "I...i offer you my condolences. If we had arrived sooner...but we were driven back by the demons. The dwarf, he gave his life to stem the tide.

She gives Dorgio a sad little smile, and says-

''Dofur was my friend too. Laurie and I knew him from an investigation in Falkovnia. If we live through this, I'll tell you all about it. For now, the memories and the mourning will have to wait. I feel like my right arm is missing....but I'll help you in any way I can,"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

ewancummins wrote:
Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:Dorgio shakes his head at Rotwang's question. "No...now that I'm thinking of it, his hands were not always like this. Those fingers, they are new!"

"And that cloak is Cirdan's! These are evil signs...we must leave this place and regroup, and find out what in the nine hells has befallen us."

Rotwang tugs at his gray beard.

''I thought he was a nice man, but perhaps I was wrong? I'm worried about this..."
"You are worried? The man, if you can call him that now, he tried to kill me!" Thom says. "Well do with him what you will. I still say we give him to the sheriff. Now I am going to go find Gauderic, any who wish to follow are welcome." He says and moves to entrance of the tunnel with the mold.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Dofur went to Falkovnia?" Benn says, arching an eyebrow wryly, "He was even braver than I thought."

"He was raving earlier," the archivist concludes, sadly, "I was worried then, but pressure mounted and we had to move quickly. Were it not for his timely flame spells, we would likely all have died during both our encounters with the rats. We owe Alain our lives, many times over." He heaves a deep sigh that seems to come from the bottom of his shoes. "But he was also one of the few to raise a hand against Cirdan back in the day. He appears to have taken his belongings, as we can clearly see, and he secreted a vial of the cure rather than offer it to Eustace. Compound that with the attack and..." another sigh, "Well, the man will need to be providing some answers. For now I say someone needs to take him back to the surface. Leaving him bound here would likely be tantamount to murder if Theo escapes us or any of the rats still live. The rest of us need to pursue the Delapores."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

"Saving our lives is that what you call it?" Thom says from the tunnel entrance. "He burnt a hole for himself to rush through and left the rest of us to rot. We would be dead now had not been for Dorgio! I owe him nothing, he tried to take my life and nearly succeed on the matter. Had none of you intervened when you did I would probably be dead." He says then falls silent.

After a moment he speaks up again "You are right though Benn, I won't leave him for these rat demons but I won't drag him to the surface either.."
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn stiffens at Thom's tone but nods. "I refer more to our first investigation into the tunnels, and the numerous other times Alain has proven himself a true and loyal companion prior to your arrival." He shakes his head. "It appears, alas, you have merely arrived in time for our association's sad, tragic ending."

"I would go with you, Thom and Everline. I would see this through to the end. If nothing else, I think Gauderic has been stuck in the middle of something he doesn't really understand."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Gennifer says-

''If the two stalwart sages will aid me, I'll get Alain to the surface. You fellows should reclaim your friend Cirdan's bag and his other property. In fact, just take it all with you. Since the magic bag and some of its contents appear to be stolen goods-"

She looks at Ben for confirmation of this-

''you should hold it all for the time being."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

ewancummins wrote:Gennifer says-

''If the two stalwart sages will aid me, I'll get Alain to the surface. You fellows should reclaim your friend Cirdan's bag and his other property. In fact, just take it all with you. Since the magic bag and some of its contents appear to be stolen goods-"

She looks at Ben for confirmation of this-

''you should hold it all for the time being."
Benn nods. He then offers his crossbow. "I still have many of my spells remaining, and I have my doubts if this will be of use to me. I presume you are familiar with its workings?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Benn nods. He then offers his crossbow. "I still have many of my spells remaining, and I have my doubts if this will be of use to me. I presume you are familiar with its workings?"

''Yes, thank you."

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Dorgio and Benn get a chnace to look over the sketch that was found with the letter and a lock of blonde hair-
There is a sketch on a piece of creased, worn yellow paper. The drawing depicts a boy who looks like a younger version of Gauderic, a pretty young woman who looks a little like him, and a man who looks very much like him.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

He nods, handing over the crossbow and his remaining bolts.

He then turns, picking up one of the remaining liquid death canisters. "As sinister as the attack was, Alain probably had the right idea for clearing the fungus." He gives it an experimental heft and looks to the group. "Shall we?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Using up the last of the 'liquid death' the party is able to clear a path through the mold. The tunnel is still quite chilly, of course.

Eustace's magic glow has not faded. Everline's coin necklace still glows like a torch. You have plenty of light by which to see.

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

"I am interested in justice." Zandor says. He shrugs when Ben takes the bag from Alain. If its stolen property he wants to see it returned. He can't shake the feeling in his gut however that bringing the wizard to the surface is a bad idea.

'We don't know yet how he manifests his magic. From the looks of his hands I'd say a demon's blood runs in him. He may produce this flame of his at will. We need to take serious precautions here."
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Toddlestone says-

''We will tie him up and gag him, then. He needs to move his hands and speak, doesn't he- for his magic to work? That's how he did it before."

JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

"His eyes as well. He should not be able to see any one so that his magic can not pass from his eyes."
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."