Dark Shadows 2012

Books, movies, television and everything else
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dark Shadows 2012

Post by steveflam »

Dark Shadows linky

I saw this is coming out next year. I have never watched the original series from the 60's or the remake in the 90's on NBC was it?
Any fans? Anyone hear about it? Thoughts? Excited or not? It has Johnny Depp so it can't be that bad :D
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Dark Shadows 2012

Post by Catman Jim »

I'm a huge Dark Shadows fan, I'm old enough that I was one of the generation that ran home from school everyday to watch it in the 1960's. Yes, on a black & white TV. :azalin: I watched it again when they replayed the entire series on the SciFi channel a dozen or more years ago. I disliked the 90's remake, moving it from Maine to California just took the very essence out of the plot for me. I am looking forward to the movie, I just hope they keep the original feel of the show without becoming all 'Twilight-angsty'. :Strahd:
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Since I'm not quite as old as Jim, ;) I got hooked on the 90's remake in High School. It was only later that I discovered the original on Sci-fi. I watched as much of it as I could, but still missed a lot. would love to go back and watch it all one day.

I'm cautiously optimistic for the movie.

Ravenloft fans should love it. As much as our buddy Strahd gets compared to Dracula, he probably owes more than a bit to Barnabas Collins.
tarlyn wrote:It has Johnny Depp so it can't be that bad :D
A few years ago, I would have agreed, but then I saw Charlie and the Chocolate factory. Even Depp and Burton can have a misstep. Let's hope Dark Shadows isn't one of them.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I did watch the original, but I'm one of the few that thought it was better before all the vampires and so on arrived on the scene, it was just funnier to watch. However, while I'm not keen on the idea of yet another remake, I'll likely see it since Depp manages to pull off a good job in just about any role he plays.
Swallow your soul!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:I did watch the original, but I'm one of the few that thought it was better before all the vampires and so on arrived on the scene, it was just funnier to watch. However, while I'm not keen on the idea of yet another remake, I'll likely see it since Depp manages to pull off a good job in just about any role he plays.
Ditto on that. I saw that the original series is over 1000 episodes? Wow :shock:
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

What's the plot, theme etc? The only thing I understood so far is that it has to do with vampires, werewolves and witches.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

alhoon wrote:What's the plot, theme etc? The only thing I understood so far is that it has to do with vampires, werewolves and witches.
I have seen all 1225 episodes twice, once when they were originally aired, and again when Syfy TV re-played them last decade. This was a Gothic-style daily 'Soap Opera", they covered a lot of story lines in their nearly six years on TV. For a really broad overview, here is a link to the wiki site, see the Story section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Shadows
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

OK... again not much info.
Time period? Place?
For all I know and I can find in the wiki it could be set from 500BC to 2500AD and from a fantasy land to a real city or a real country, since I have no idea if these episodes happen in a single place or all around the world(s).
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

alhoon wrote:OK... again not much info.
Time period? Place?
For all I know and I can find in the wiki it could be set from 500BC to 2500AD and from a fantasy land to a real city or a real country, since I have no idea if these episodes happen in a single place or all around the world(s).
In the STORY section of the wiki, it states the setting is the coastal community of Collinsport, Maine (USA). The time is then present day 1966. Various story arcs take place in 1795 and 1840.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Got it. Thanks. :)
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The "revival" series from '91 moved the "present day" parts up to the then-present '91. I wonder if the Burton version will do the same, putting it in the now-present.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Since Burton loves to grab things from all over the place and throw it all together it should be a pretty interesting result to see "when" it is set ;)
Swallow your soul!
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

The trailer is now available here:

Wow, I could not be more disappointed. :evil:
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

What the heck was that?

seriously?

that's the way they went with it?

I'm just going to pretend this never happened....

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

I'm going to laugh my a.ss off at it while pretending Twilight never happened! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D