Burning of haunted house

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Kraken(rpgworld)
Conspirator
Conspirator

Burning of haunted house

Post by Kraken(rpgworld) »

At VRG does not answer many important questions about the monsters.
we can try together to answer them.

Question 1 - Burning of haunted house
Annie: Why do not you just burn the haunted house?
Marie: Do you think that the evil spirits burn in the fire? You're overreading of Steven King
"Evil Presence"
The reason is simple.
If after the burning house haunting disappear, then burning the house - it's too easy way to get rid of ghosts.
Sorry for bad english, im not native americano
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Burning of haunted house

Post by ewancummins »

What if burning the house frees the ghosts , who will then seek revenge on the arsonist PCs?
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

The site itself, i.e. tha land, can still be haunted, but in a more terrifying way as the ghost was robbed of his home and is very angry / mad.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jack the Reaper »

What if it is your house, which you have purchased with your best money, and you have got no insurance against fires?..
The Reaper's riddle:

"Im ata yachol likro et ze, ata yode'a et ha'emet."

If you can read it, you know the truth.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

IMO in some cases it should be possible.

But what about a stone mansion? Leaving a burned hunch wouldn't drive away the ghost.
What about cellars? (We all know the dead body is usually connected to the cellar)
What about a wooden hut that's haunted because a woman saw her children die there and then died of grief?
She would return to the empty lot and weep over her children's resting place house or no house.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jack the Reaper »

And even it it works, there is always the possibility that many years later, somebody else will possess the empty lot, and re-construct some other building over it. And suddenly strange phenomena will begin...
The Reaper's riddle:

"Im ata yachol likro et ze, ata yode'a et ha'emet."

If you can read it, you know the truth.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Then there's always the old "you burned the house to the ground yesterday, but today it's back and in pristine condition" gag.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

That's for the house on Gryphon hill, not the average haunted house IMO.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

alhoon wrote:What about a wooden hut that's haunted because a woman saw her children die there and then died of grief?
She would return to the empty lot and weep over her children's resting place house or no house.
Or she becomes enraged over the cruel people who would destroy her children's resting place. Burning with fury, even. Modified Pyre Elemental, anyone?
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

What if the house just won't burn (House of Lament)? Talk about throwing a bucket of cold water on the players' plans--metaphorically speaking. :lol:
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

alhoon wrote:That's for the house on Gryphon hill, not the average haunted house IMO.
Why not? If it works, it works.

That's like saying a normal lich can't have a dragon ally .. because Azalin has one and it's only for him.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Brandi wrote:
alhoon wrote:What about a wooden hut that's haunted because a woman saw her children die there and then died of grief?
Or she becomes enraged over the cruel people who would destroy her children's resting place. Burning with fury, even. Modified Pyre Elemental, anyone?
My earlier point, more elaborated.

Yes, or a mad ghost. The PCs won't be sure they made the right decision :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Perhaps the ghost/s of the house become bound the the person or persons who burned down the house? They haunt you now arsonist PC!
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Personally I'm not fond of ghosts "evolving" in anyway. I.e. It's a very rare ghost IMC that becomes un-anchored or develops/changes an ability.
Not that I would never use it, but certainly not often and not when I can work around it.

IMO in some cases burning down the house... should work.
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Personally I'm not fond of ghosts "evolving" in anyway. I.e. It's a very rare ghost IMC that becomes un-anchored or develops/changes an ability.
Not that I would never use it, but certainly not often and not when I can work around it.

IMO in some cases burning down the house... should work.
IMO, it is kind of lame to just torch a house, and thus avoid an adventure. I don't think burning a house should get rid of/destroy/lay to rest the ghost, except in rare cases. A shadowy impression of the original haunted house still exists on the Border Ethereal, I would imagine. Think of the old 'Indian burial ground' trope. Build a house over it, plow it, pave it- the ghosts remain present until properly laid to rest.

Another poster has a signature line about ghosts haunting not places, but memories. I think that's good stuff. The ethereal resonance (essentially memories/impresssions) remain even if the house is destroyed or changed.

In some cases, it may make sense for the ghost to become unmoored (or attached to the arsonist) by the shock of the house being destroyed, though.