Any thought on Golarion

Discussing all roleplaying games
Scipion_Emilien
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Any thought on Golarion

Post by Scipion_Emilien »

I am currently reading an adventure path with the eventual goal of having my players play it and I was wondering about Golarion itself.

Without and adventure path, what are the interesting feature of Golarion? What do you think of the world of Golarion in itself?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Any thought on Golarion

Post by alhoon »

What is Golarion?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Golarion is the default setting for the Pathfinder RPG. (as some call it 3.75e).

I don't have a whole lot of experience with the place as a whole. I'm a player in the Council of Thieves adventure path, so the area around Cheliax has been my focus, and then of course a lot of us Ravenloft fans have become fans of Ustalav, the Barovia of Golarion. I use the PF rules in homebrew settings too, and have been creeping them into Ravenloft as well. On the whole, it had struck me as a solid, though generic, setting. Lots of backstory that's well thought out, lots of nooks and corners for whatever style of play you want. But I've yet to see any overriding theme that sets it apart from Greyhawk or Faerun, etc.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Scipion_Emilien
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: Lots of backstory that's well thought out, lots of nooks and corners for whatever style of play you want. But I've yet to see any overriding theme that sets it apart from Greyhawk or Faerun, etc.
Ya that's more or less my opinion on the topic. I was thinking about doing an adventure path and had some elements of my own, but somehow, after reading 3-4 PF fluff book, I just can't get my head around what is the defining trait of the setting.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Agreed, it's good but really generic fantasy.
It's a solid world, but it's sole hook is "there's a place for any campaign" but that does leave it with a "kitchen sink" feel. That makes it useful to anyone but hard to judge as a whole as there'll be places some people like and places some don't.
Scipion_Emilien
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I guess i'll follow the AP more closely than I wished the first time.

Another thing that wonder me a little is the polarisation of the differents countries even at the center of the setting. I have the feeling that any game would start at absalom (relatively normal place) and then go somewhere else a little more "out there".