A New Barovia: Chapter Two

Online roleplaying at the Café
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: A New Barovia: Chapter Two

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Khalfani says, "No, no attacks last night -- at least none that were reported. However, we did receive this..." The gnome hands Adam the letter, which reads:

I know who the murderer is. Meet me tonight in front of the cemetery.

After giving the others a moment, he continues, "It is likely a trap. However, trap or not, we must do as it instructs. Our hunt has accomplished nothing so far. Yet I suggest we comply on our terms. If our foe is like the badger or the wolf, preparing to savage strike its prey, then we must be like the giant ant lions of my homeland, Har'Akir, burrowing deep into the sand long before the unwary traveler crosses above it.

"Perhaps several of us could go the cemetery soon and find a place where they could lie in wait until evening. The rest of us would leave here just after sunset. If this is a trap, we would need to -- how do you say it? Ah, 'make a show' of doing exactly what the letter says."
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"It's a very good idea Khalfani, I suggest those that are better in combat hide and be ready to attack if necessary and the rest pretend to just arrive at the cemetery. If we are asked why isn't present the whole group we can say that the rest are at the inn. The only problem is that we don't know what time is the meeting. The letter says: meet me tonight but not exact time, so we have to move fast because our man might be there early and we migh not have time to hide. Also the place and the time make me think that our man might be the Count...afterall you saw him there the other night...If that is the case play games to him might be really deadly. I have heard my father talk about him and how powrful he is. If Count Strahd wants to help us with the murderer for sure will ask something back and I'm afraid we will not have much of a choice to say no...My and Thomas fathers already gotten a task for Strahd and they didn't actually fullifilled it...He has send them to take a woman and bring her to him. With Jacob's help my father and the others managed to leave Barovia just in time and save the woman. But as you may guess the Count wasn't happy at all with that. So he will be more carefull if he gives us a task this time and if we fail or deny to do it or try to escape will mean certain death..."

Adam makes a small pause before go on:

"Of course this is just a suposition, we don't know if our man is the Count or even if he is what will ask for the information he has. But whoever we are going to meet tonight we should be very careful and ready for the worse. I'm almost out of spells today but thanks to Jacob we still have 2 charges of his magic belt."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Robert nods, and then adds.

"We don't know the hour, but we know the part of the day. If we get there during the day we will be early enough. Especially if it is the Count.

I'd be more worried in finding a place to hide there and communicating somehow to the group that stays behind whatever advanced planning we may get. As a matter of fact, I think at least half of us should be in the advanced team if we go that way.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Khalfani says, "I doubt -- or better to say 'I hope' -- that Count Str... the Count is responsible for the letter. Excuse me, having lived in Kresk for so long, I sometimes fall prey to local superstitions. Many residents believe that to say his name in public is to invite misfortune. My apologies. Yes, I doubt it is from him. Based on the tales, he likely wouldn't 'hide' behind such a ruse, or the invitation would've been attached to a corpse. In any event, we should be ready for any outcome.

"In addition to my own arcane talents, all members of my race have mastered a number of illusory spells. For instance, if I were in the cemetery, I could summon a glowing light to appear in front of someone standing well over one hundred feet away, as long as I knew where that person was. This would be one way for the 'inside' group to signal the 'outside' group to approach."

In game terms, Khalfani can use dancing lights to make a glowing shape appear up to 140 feet away. Not ideal, but unless someone has the 1st-level spell message, it might be our best option for a quiet signalling device.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Sounds like a plan. So who will be those that hide and who those that will go later? I suggest Valanth, Robert and Thomas to hide and me, Khalfani and Marilee be at the 2nd group. I presume Robert and Thomas have bows and can hide and attack from distance and Valanth has spells that can use. Both me and Marilee can defend ourselves pretty well in close combat if it's a trap. If necessary Khalfani can warn the others with his spell. Do you agree?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Robert nods silently.

"Yes, I can do it. I'll try to climb some tree, then. I'm good at attacking from above."
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

"That sounds ideal," says Khalfani. "Do the rest of you agree or have another suggestion? If not, then I suggest we gather some food to bring with us. It could be a long vigil."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Good suggestion Khalfani. Let's get moving, I need action."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

"Maybe get a rope and torches as well since we don't know what we will come across. We might need to tie the guy or maybe we will need more light."
- W H A T ! ? !
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Marilee nods

"That's a logical arrangement. I'll get some food and water, and other than that I'll stay light. The inside group might have to...maneuver... in a hurry!"
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Indeed", Robert nods. "Some cookies and light snacks are what we need."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Inn, Evening

The sun is almost set. You've all eaten and those of you heading to the cemetery in advance have eaten, ready to depart. You do with no trouble. The streets of Krezk are quiet. Businesses continue as you pass. At the cemetery you find that here are no trees to climb up into and hide. There are headstones to hind behind or the top of fences to attempt to hide. Upon closer scrutiny, there are a few crypts to hide behind or on the roofs. As you settle in and decide where to hide, a creeping mist or fog inhabits the entire cemetery making it near impossible to see anything.

By now the time has progressed, what with finding hiding places in the disturbing fog. By the time you've hidden, the rest of the party are arriving at the cemetery. Rizzin has joined Thomas and rests on his shoudler. The party arrives at the appointed time.

Okay, spot and listen from everyone!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Those of you hidden from view see your comrades arriving. Nothing out of the ordinary occurs whilst you were there that you know of.
Now that the mists have cleared, those who were there already see what can only be a WereBadger along with two large badgers in front of a crypt.

The party arriving see the same thing as well.

The WereBadger grins evilly. "So, you've come after all. Surprising, yet I was sure you would take my bait." He sniffs the air, frowning. "Where are the rest of your comrades? Ah, you've surprises... but so do I. TO ME!!"

Near thirty feet behind the villain and his cronies a word is heard then a large light emerges from the darkness, soon forming into a ball of fire! It is aimed right at the party whom arrived later.

Refresher please. Who is hiding and who arrived now. Also, initiative and actions please. Those of you who arrived please roll a save versus a Fireball. The word spoken, I need a listen check to know what word was spoken before the Fireball happened. This from all of you. Also, a spot check to see who or what is sending the fireball.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

(OOC: Valanth was definitely in hiding; she's no front-line warrior, she's a sniper. And occasionally a tactical nuke. ;))

"Suggest we get out of here, into a location we choose, rather than this stunted, malodorous beast," Valanth says to the others hiding with her. "This will hopefully stop them from shooting us in the back..."

The Elfmaid brings up her hand, and small tufts of black wool go flying to the four winds. "Moenia atra!" Valanth chants - and between Azrael and the party, a wall of darkness arises. Sinister whispers fill the air, and the shadows contort in a disturbing way.

OOC: Valanth puts a Wall of Gloom between the party and Azrael. The most it does is block line of sight, so I'd recommend legging it to a different location. One where we can't be sniped from the shadows, for preference.
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Khalfani grits his teeth in pain and fury as the werebadger's ally releases a fireball. "I tire of dancing to this jackal's tune," he hisses to Marilee next to him. "We end this tonight!"

The dark-skinned gnome pulls a vial from his robes and quickly drinks the potion within. He feels his skin harden as though a protective shell is growing around it.

Last edited by Ken of Ghastria on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
--W. Somerset Maugham