A New Barovia: Chapter Two

Online roleplaying at the Café
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: A New Barovia: Chapter Two

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

"Thank you, Valanth," says Khalfani.

If there is no obvious arcane or poisonous threat from the envelope, Khalfani opens it and shows the contents to his companions.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Yeah. I forgot to add her, Sorry :)

Once Vallanth's spells are terminated, she detects no poison or magic on or even from inside the envelope.

The letter is addressed to the whole party.

I know who the murderer is. Meet me tonight in front of the cemetery.
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Reading the letters silently to himself first, Khalfani scratches his dark, stubbly chin. He looks around the area they're in, his gaze passing over everyone he sees.

He hands the letter to his three companions. Once they have all read it, he says softly, "Well. There we have it. And it does not reduce my suspicions or my concerns. It could very well have been written by the killer, meant to draw us into a final confrontation... or draw us away from the next victim. And it obviously could have been written by anyone here or by Herr Dak himself. Yet I believe that we must do as it says. Thoughts, any of you, before we discuss our original intent here with Dmitri?"
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Adam listens carefully Cornelius words and says in low voice so he can be heard only by Cornelius and Robert:

"Of course are your clients and we respect that but we are clients as well and without any offence we just want to know if we are safe here or no. Your clients were given me bad looks yesterday like threatening me, and I would like to be sure that I'm safe here. I hope you understand my concern Cornelius. We are in same side you do know it, we are still trying to solve the mystery of those murders and who was behind Deselnora's murder. She was your friend as was my father's. I will do my best to get the responsible for her death. But I would like to feel safe and to know that I'm among friends that I can count on them as did Deselnora in past. Can you help us please Cornelius?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Cornelius eyes Adam squarely, unhappy with him. "Listen ter me. If it weren't safe fer ya here, I'd send yer somewhere else, unnerstood? Enough on this matter." HE turns away from you both and walks into his office, slamming the door behind him.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

As Cornelius slams the door shut, Robert pats Adam on the shoulder and says:

"You're really not having much luck with people, are you? Come, let's go up to the room again, and we'll come down for some drinks later, when he's more relaxed. Shall we?"
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Adam looks Cornelius going away and sighs disappointed. At Robert's words he nods in agreement and says:

"You are right, but had to try anyway. Let's go."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Robert climbs back to the room where the box is kept, then, cursing himself that both of them left it unguarded at the same time. He hopes that everything is alright with it.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

The Militia Headquarters

Thomas looks at the letter and shakes his head in disapproval. "This seems like a trap to me. As for having anything else to add nothing comes to mind at the moment. Lets handle the business we came here for and then meet with the others to discuss what to do about this letter."
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

"Agreed," says Khalfani. He folds up the message and then walks toward Dmitri's office. He knocks politely before entering.

"Thank you very much, good Dmitri, for the message," says the dark-skinned gnome amiably. "And you say this was left under your door last night? Besides other members of the militia, who else would have been permitted to be in this building? In any event, our reason for coming is another question, one which I hope will be answered with a 'No': Did our killer strike again last night?"
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ken of Ghastria wrote:"Agreed," says Khalfani. He folds up the message and then walks toward Dmitri's office. He knocks politely before entering.

"Thank you very much, good Dmitri, for the message," says the dark-skinned gnome amiably. "And you say this was left under your door last night? Besides other members of the militia, who else would have been permitted to be in this building?
The large Falkovnian looks up from his reading material on his desk. "Vell, just members of the militia. But who can say? You know, as well as I do dot anyone agile or nimble enough could haff snuck in the building unt slid the paper under my door. Even better, though I am not one knowledgeable in arcane, I know someone could haff got in my office by magicks."

He smiles blandly, aware that Khalfani would know these things but was telling him anyways.

In any event, our reason for coming is another question, one which I hope will be answered with a 'No': Did our killer strike again last night?"
"Noone has been reported murdered last night, my freund. Now, if you do not mind, I have a meeting to attend. I wish you a good day." The large man rises from his desk and walks towards the door, making sure Khalfani exits. He closes the door after he exits, locking it and walks down the hall towards the exit.
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Khalfani raises a dark, bushy eyebrow after their dismissal from Dmitri's office. "What I find most interesting about that," he says softly to those with him, "is that he did not show any curiosity about what was IN the message we received."

After a moment, he continues, "I am not certain that there is anything else to do here, unfortunately -- especially since I cannot be certain that anyone we speak to here is trustworthy. Everything that Dmitri said is true, but then if the person was not a member of the militia, why leave the message here and not at the inn? Certainly, the inn would be appear to be an easier place to sneak in and out of if you didn't belong there. It is not as though our presence at the inn is a secret!"

He looks at the others. "Is there anything else to be done here? If not, there are likely other tasks we can do before we share the letter with those back at the inn."
--W. Somerset Maugham
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Marilee looks thoughtful

"Perhaps he has read it, perhpas it is normal to get messages this way. Or perhaps he wrote it, or knows who did..."

I think there is nothing more to do, and I am wary of this dividing into groups whil we are being hunted. I think we should get back together
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

"Yes," says the gnome, with a deep sigh. "I admit, however, that I tire of reacting to the moves by our foes made in this vicious game. If we are to meet the person who left this message, we need to arrange the pieces on the board first." He leads the way back to the inn.
--W. Somerset Maugham
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

When their friends return to the inn and come to the room where the box was kept Adam adresses them curious to know if there was another murder the last night.

"So? Any events last night?"
- W H A T ! ? !