Ghosts of Gauntcliff IC: Chapter 1

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff IC: Chapter 1

Post by ewancummins »

GARDEN
tarlyn wrote:JUergin doesn't get excited but wonders if that would be a good place to start. "Do you tink I could go visit deiner Abbey?"
''Guess so. Take a stick.''
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
PathOfDreams
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by PathOfDreams »

Petrie pulls back the whiskey bottle from his lips suddenly as he starts from the blur caught in his peripheral, sloshing a little of the spirit down his chest. He glances fully in that direction while drawing his dagger from its belt sheath with the instinct of a hunter.

The warrior stands slowly from his relaxed posture and approaches the spot of the blur.
The Fall of House Pancrazio
Goran Pancrazio - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=165152
Ghosts of Gauntcliff
Petrie MacLugash - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=339286
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"I am no arcane mast - ha, mistress, gentlemen," Everline says with a small, subtle hand gesture. "Merely someone who has had the great good fortune to learn a few things during her dealings with scholars.

As for this debate on the source of power... Is it not possible that both theories apply? Patently the power exists and it can be accessed. Mayhap it can be accessed regardless the method, be it by faith, by the mental capacity to understand it, or by pure force of will. Deities and fiends might then, indeed, be the source of power, but so might years of eye-straining study or intense meditation."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Lady Everline, it could, of course. There's no definitive answer on this. As I said, this is a fascinating subject. And one we can pursue easily without ever reaching a conclusion. Of course, my perceptions are educated by my religious upbringing, as Benn's are by his scientific schooling.

But could it be that there is as much faith in his views as there is in mine? I follow an entity named Belenus, but as my recent studies show, this may well be a name that a group of men gave to some force... others have identified a very similar deity to Belenus and called it the Morning Lord"

he nods to Dorgio

"others have called it Andral. Benn and others may just say they found the right rituals to command this force. Do they always work? That would be good of you to tell me.

I would like to know more of your kind of magic, Benn. But your example, is not necessarily forcing. I have seen good clerics of Belenus evoke a surge of divine fire that could be thought similar to the arcane fireball. I don't know if that is your example, but in itself it wouldn't prove anything: you would still be on the divine and sacred side of magic.

What makes you believe magic happens by your own power alone, and not because some entity is answering your rituals?"
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:GARDEN
tarlyn wrote:JUergin doesn't get excited but wonders if that would be a good place to start. "Do you tink I could go visit deiner Abbey?"
''Guess so. Take a stick.''

"Take stick?" But why ve needen a stick?" Juergin waits for the answer and then walks away. He heads back to the dining room and walks over to where Eustace is seated. "Pardon my intrusion, mein Herr Eustace, but I learned something interesting about the Abbey. Herr Penda moved around some crates and barrels in deiner Abbey, which could haff been from a ship, even a pirate ship. You did say you would helpen me if you cannen, ja? It is still daylight unt a good time to go look. Vut do you say.?"
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"I say you are rash and full of attitude" Eustace says smiling. "But the Abbey is indeed a place I would like to visit."

He looks around, making sure that the other guests have ended their courses.

Then he looks at Juergin again, in a very serious air, and tells him in a tone to make him understand this is important.

"Tell you what, go ask someone of the staff how far away is the Abbey and how many more hours of sun we have today. I will not want to risk being caught in some ruins out at night, no matter that such ruins are in as peaceful and lovable place as this island."

After Juergin leaves, he asks around

"So, is anyone else interested in visiting that old Abbey?"
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Charlotte looks at Benn and says-''I'm going to our room to look after Jonas. Please don't let me stop you if you want to go with them and have a look about the ruins. I know that you like that sort of thing."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Primeiro listens with interest at the discussion about faith, the gods, and the access to "spells."

In reply to Eustace, he says, "Yes, I'll go! I'd like to see this mysterious abbey, and I suppose now is as good a time as any."

To Bennedict, he says, "Your findings are very intriguing. What propelled you down this path of research, if I may ask? Pure intellectual curiosity, or had you been a religious man who sought to question the nature of his beliefs?"
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Divine and... 'sacred'?" Everline repeats Eustace's words, her voice becoming a trifle cool. "You are quick to assume that the two are automatically the same, Monsieur. As I said: I have travelled Nova Vaasa recently. The two are not automatically linked at all."

Juergin arrives and states his intentions; Everline stifles a yawn. "You shall have to excuse me, gentlemen, but I have already had a long day and it is not yet over. I am here, after all, to work. The Abbey ruins are not in my itinerary for today. I believe I shall go and interview our charming host, if he has time for me."

After nodding to the people gathered in the room, Everline rises and quirks an eyebrow at Claudas. "Where might I find Monsieur Sancerre?"
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Ja, Herr Eustace." The youth turns and walks right up to Claudas. He waits for him to answer Everline, never looking at her. Once he has responded to her, he asks the man "Pardon me, Herr Claudas, can you tell me how far ist de Abbey unt do ve haff enough light left in deiner day to visit it thouroughly? Vy did Penda say I might need a stick? Is dere a lot of underbrushen dere?"
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"A more precise example," he says in response to Eustace's query, "Would be a more compact version of the Fireball spell that I have heard described by many arcane practitioners as the 'Flaming Sphere,' which produces a small, contained, sustainable blaze which can be consciously rolled throughout a combat to ignite one's foes. This is a relatively simple arcane dweomer, but one which I have, through my nature studies, managed to exactly replicate by simply utilizing a divine invocation. Indeed, through some background study of the topic, I have found several other examples in the literature of divine practitioners wielding what are typically considered to be arcane spells, and vice-versa. I believe that one could, if had an organized enough mind, bridge the two gulfs to become capable of wielding the divine and the arcane. It is merely a matter of finding the correct mental orientation to do so."

In response to earlier questions- "I must confess, much of my initial skepticism comes from my upbringing. Lamordians, as I'm sure you are aware, are not an overly religious group. As of late, well, with some of the things I have observed in my travels, it is difficult to maintain the belief in kind, benevolent deities watching over us when the world is filled with such suffering. Surely Belenus or the Morninglord, were they able, would drive out the scourge of Falkovnia, or would have defended such beauties as the late Fraulein Eveline Sancerre?" He sighs. "If there are deities out there, they seem politely disinterested in us at best, and deserve no more consideration than they are willing to give to us in exchange."

To Charlotte and in response to the suggestion of exploring the abbey. "We had planned, young man, on exploring the island after dinner young man. Perhaps you might have heard that, had you not been rushing in and out of here every few moments. The abbey was one of the places we had intended to investigate. I am of course planning on attending. It would seem my wife has elected to remain behind."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:In response to earlier questions- "I must confess, much of my initial skepticism comes from my upbringing. Lamordians, as I'm sure you are aware, are not an overly religious group. As of late, well, with some of the things I have observed in my travels, it is difficult to maintain the belief in kind, benevolent deities watching over us when the world is filled with such suffering. Surely Belenus or the Morninglord, were they able, would drive out the scourge of Falkovnia, or would have defended such beauties as the late Fraulein Eveline Sancerre?" He sighs. "If there are deities out there, they seem politely disinterested in us at best, and deserve no more consideration than they are willing to give to us in exchange."

Captain Griffith chuckles at that.

''Ha ha! You think those 'kind' gods are the only gods, Lamordian? No. There are other gods, darker and stronger. Ignorin' them is like idly dreamin' of seas forever calm. They'll send a storm your way to wake you."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"The world is dark enough as it is," Benn responds, "Passing the responsibility off to some deity for what ails us, while comforting, does little to prevent their recurrence."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:"The world is dark enough as it is," Benn responds, "Passing the responsibility off to some deity for what ails us, while comforting, does little to prevent their recurrence."
Griffith replies-
''Ha ha...Benn my boy, don't you know? The gods live inside us as much as without. You can close your eyes, but they won't go away. "

The sea-captain stands.

''Elianna darlin', would you like to step out and take a look at the country? I've got some time before I need to be back aboard the Pertyon."

Elliana looks at Dorgio, who has become rather tipsy, and frowns slightly.

''Yes, of course, Captain, I'd love to take a little walk."

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

PETRIE, IN FRONT OF THE CHATEAU
PathOfDreams wrote:Petrie pulls back the whiskey bottle from his lips suddenly as he starts from the blur caught in his peripheral, sloshing a little of the spirit down his chest. He glances fully in that direction while drawing his dagger from its belt sheath with the instinct of a hunter.

The warrior stands slowly from his relaxed posture and approaches the spot of the blur.

Petrie gets just a glimpse of a small, stooped figure in a long brown cloak. The raised hood and Petrie's rear angle of view completely hide the cloaked one's face. Whoever or whatever it is, the figure disappears around the east corner of the house.

Petrie rounds the corner in a dash. He cannot see the fugitive. Several mulberry bushes grow on this side of the hill. The wind suddenly blows, and stirs the foliage. He can't be sure, but it looks to Petrie as if a certain shrub had moved a bit- before the gust...