Ghosts of Gauntcliff IC: Chapter 1

Online roleplaying at the Café
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ghosts of Gauntcliff IC: Chapter 1

Post by Adam »

Benn nods. "I will concede the point that there are magical effects that have not crossed from one discipline from the other, and can only counter that there are many things in this world that only a few years ago would not have been possible but now are commonplace. Just because a thing has not been done yet, does not preclude its possibility." He sighs. "In any case, I fear we could go around about this for quite a while if left unchecked, and we are, as they say, burning daylight. Perhaps after our exploration of the ruins we can resume the discussion."

Benn joins Dorgio in a post-dinner smoke, pulling his pipe from a coat pocket. "Your flowers you say? He stole them?" He turns, an amused glint to his eyes. "Oh this simply will not do. I think, my friend, that turnabout being fair play, the good Captain is almost tasking us to execute some manner of mischief on his person to address this injustice. After all," he flips Dorgio a rakish wink, "we can't have our resident Casanova going to bed alone, can we?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Gladly, Benn. Nothing would give me more pleasure than a philosophical discussion on a good couch with my feet turned to a fire and a little bit of brandy after supper... Well, cut the fire here, as we are in a warm place, but we can keep the rest."

"So, who's going in this exciting little trip to the Abbey?"
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Primeiro listens quietly to the rest of the discussion about religion. His expression indicates that his interest in the talk, which was once acute, has faded considerably. He decides to wait for the trip to the Abbey to commence. As the discussion and the meal come to an end, he gets up from his seat and steps over to Everline right after Claudas speaks with her.

"Your business seems to have the dual feature of not only being interesting but of helping you avoid sticky social entanglements, mademoiselle," he says cordially. "That can be unfortunate at some times, enviable at others. What region do you call 'Home,' if any?"
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"Possibly in an hour or two, after I have had the chance to freshen up and Monsieur Sancerre has had time to attend to his other business?" Everline suggests to Claudas.

When Primeiro approaches and asks his question, she quirks an eyebrow. "'Home', these days, is Mordentshire. But only as a point of reference and return, when my work is done. And for yourself, Monsieur? I can not seem to recall whether you had mentioned it already."
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

"Now, and for the foreseeable future, it seems my home is Pont-a-Museau," Primeiro replies lightly, though there's a note of regret. "Though I was born in Borca, fortune and happiness lie elsewhere." For a moment, emotion seems to drain from his face. Then he shrugs, regains his smile, and says warmly, "I wish you good luck in your interview, Everline -- if I may. Our host seems somewhat enigmatic. Yet I doubt there are many enigmas that can resist your combination of charm and intelligence." He inclines his head politely.

Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

"I had heard that Borcans were born flatterers," Everline notes, her tone light, but the gleam in her blue eyes a little... dangerous. "And that the Richemuloise can also be, if they have sufficient reason. It seems, Monsieur, that you have had a very dangerous background... for those susceptible to flattery."

The young woman's lips quirk in something close to a smile. "Nevertheless, I thank you for your good wishes, and offer you my own for your distractions of the afternoon."
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

"Please... it's 'Primeiro.'" The blond-haired man seems unruffled; indeed, he almost looks appreciative. "Superbly stated, and thank you. I'll let you know if we find anything interesting." With another polite nod, he takes his leave and returns to his room to prepare.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Adam wrote:Benn joins Dorgio in a post-dinner smoke, pulling his pipe from a coat pocket. "Your flowers you say? He stole them?" He turns, an amused glint to his eyes. "Oh this simply will not do. I think, my friend, that turnabout being fair play, the good Captain is almost tasking us to execute some manner of mischief on his person to address this injustice. After all," he flips Dorgio a rakish wink, "we can't have our resident Casanova going to bed alone, can we?"
"Oh but of course. I was already mucking things up enough without accusing our captain of lying outright...and what good would it have been doing anyway? But my day will come soon enough, I am thinking."

"Until then," he says turning to Eustace, "This Abbey cries out for exploration, yes?"
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Benn picks up his cane and shrugs on his jacket. "Indeed, let's be about this."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

"Aye it does, Dorgio. I'm itching to go too."
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
PathOfDreams
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by PathOfDreams »

With his senses as sharp as his dagger, Petrie hastily plucks the brown cloth from the brush and clutches it tight, leaving an inspection for later. He stands fully erect attempting to peer over the top of the mulberry patch; perhaps he can acquire his elusive target again. He shouts over the brush, "It would be good of ya to come forth so to not be taken for an enemy. There are more of us 'ere that would like to meet ya. I wull wait for ya... at the front stoop. I wull not 'urt ya."
The Fall of House Pancrazio
Goran Pancrazio - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=165152
Ghosts of Gauntcliff
Petrie MacLugash - http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=339286
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Petrie is still sitting on the front stoop, waiting for the mysterious stranger to show himself, when the first of the party headed for the abbey ruins comes out the front doorway...

END OF CHAPTER ONE

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)